Fuji x100

Mine arrives today, got the case so far, damn I hate amazons multiple shipments

Someone needs to hurry up and buy that x100 in the classifieds, it's too tempting.

Yup totally. I really realy can't afford it right now. Not that that's ever stopped me before.

Anyone know what's the script on the aperture blade repair if you're second owner and job hasn't been done yet? Is original purchase receipt required? Just incase I go for a used X100 instead of a new X10.

I had a play with a X10 on Saturday I was slightly disappointed, X100 is an amazing camera have fun!

Yeah, thought I'd love the black finish and the added practicality of the zoom but the hybrid viewfinder and nicer weight/size of the x100 won me over.

I didn't even really intend to buy even an x10, just thought I'd have a look, oopsy!

Just returned mine. I'm afraid I just can't get over how user-unfriendly the thing is. Looks gorgeous, makes great photos but what a hassle.

I really wanted to love it and I've read all the blogs and comments about learning the camera etc. I used it for a week and still found the UI frustrating - it's as if Fuji didn't pass it round real people before finalizing the design.

Worst aspect - focus. The fanboys can say what they like, it is ludicrous that a 21st century, £900 camera can't focus first time, every time. Workrounds like going into manual and pressing the AF button do work, but really.

Other stupid little things like:
1. you take a photo but can't zoom on review (like just about every other camera). You have to go back into review then zoom.
2. when reviewing you can't go thru a selection of phots at a zoom setting (like just about every other camera).
3. a stupidly long macro distance eg the distance at which you have to change the camera setting to macro to get focus (otherwise the camera tells you it's in focus (green rectangle) but it's not really).

These may seem trivial to some but every other (serious) camera I've had does these simple things and it has become part of my workflow.

The good things: I did like the VF - it really is brilliant. The EV compensation button wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be - I didn't nudge it off setting and, anyway, it's very clear in the VF if you've altered the EV (bar graph). And the camera looks great although, for me, it lacked heft and felt a bit fragile, esp things like the battery compartment. Also love the silent operation.

Once again, I compared this camera at length to my long suffering GF1. Certainly for high ISO work and results using fill flash then the Fuji walks away with the honours but with anything else it's pretty neck and neck. Even the exalted call that the Jpegs OOC are great and that white balance is always accurate wasn't my experience.

So, in sum, I decided to return the camera and wait for another iteration of the fella. Sounds like the NEX 7 is getting nearer and hopefully the Fuji X200 (or whatever) will build on the fine aspects of the X100. In the meantime, regardless of all the reviews, not the camera for me mainly down to the focus faff.

PS if you're shooting inanimate objects (and are not into chimping) I'm sure this camera would be dandy, but if something moves then forget it:).

You managed to get a full refund after using it for a week?

The camera has quirks/problems for sure and whilst they might be deal breakers for some they don't really worry me all that much.

If your using it alongside a dslr then the problems will probably be quite obvious whereas I use mine alongside a Hexar AF which has no macro mode, manual focus is actuated by pressing and holding one tiny button and then you use two other tiny buttons to set the focus by scale with no focus indication in the vf.

I agree with you that the manual focus on the x100 is ridiculous but when you compare it to other af based cameras like the Hexar and the Contax G then I think it becomes less of an issue. I almost wish Fuji had left the mf ring off the camera and given it a retractable hood like the Hexar instead but they probably felt that the mf ring was needed for if to appeal to the market.

It sounds similar to the Sigma DP cameras. Fantastic IQ but poor user interface and function (especially with expectations on a £900 camera).

I love my DP1 because it fits what I do (considered shots of non moving subjects) and gives me the images I want. Difference is it cost me £100 and even at that price I bought it with the knowledge of it inherent weaknesses/foibles.
A £900 fixed lens camera shouldn't have any foibles and the fact it does will probably mean it will be fairly cheap (relatively) in a year or so. Then I can buy one...

Well I shoot moving objects (people on the street) with my x100 and it does me fine.

I'm not defending it entirely, I know for some people it will be useless but like I say, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives and it's as close to the ideal camera as I've gotten and without going to some fantasy custom AF enabled Leica M9 I think it's as close as it's possible for me to get at the moment.

I think the reports of poor UI are to a degree similar to the reports of the poor UI in Sony's Nex range, most of the reports are coming from people who have played with it in Jessops for 5minutes and not looked at the different customisations possible - although a firmware update to make more of the buttons customisable would definitly be welcomed by X100 owners I'm sure - nor taken time to really try it and get used to it.

Again though, no doubt for the way some want to use it (and I'm not saying they are using it incorrectly) the UI on the x100 isn't ideal. There are less buttons on it than on the majority of dslrs but that's part of what I like about it. Comparing it my Hexar again, I cant change the iso on it and I never really feel I want or need to so why should I need my X100 to be able to do this with a single button press?

Well I shoot moving objects (people on the street) with my x100 and it does me fine.

I'm not defending it entirely, I know for some people it will be useless but like I say, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives and it's as close to the ideal camera as I've gotten and without going to some fantasy custom AF enabled Leica M9 I think it's as close as it's possible for me to get at the moment.

I think the reports of poor UI are to a degree similar to the reports of the poor UI in Sony's Nex range, most of the reports are coming from people who have played with it in Jessops for 5minutes and not looked at the different customisations possible - although a firmware update to make more of the buttons customisable would definitly be welcomed by X100 owners I'm sure - nor taken time to really try it and get used to it.

Again though, no doubt for the way some want to use it (and I'm not saying they are using it incorrectly) the UI on the x100 isn't ideal. There are less buttons on it than on the majority of dslrs but that's part of what I like about it. Comparing it my Hexar again, I cant change the iso on it and I never really feel I want or need to so why should I need my X100 to be able to do this with a single button press?

The NEX 5N UI is infinitely superior to the Fuji - when you press the shutter half way, the camera achieves focus instantly;)!!

I must say I have found the NEX5 5N UI most excellent - pity about that E-mount lens choice (for us AF fans).

Without hoping to sound like too much of an X100 fanboy, I honestly haven't had problems with the X100 achieving focus. It will sometimes focus on the wrong thing like the background but I hear complaints of focus which sound like the camera just won't focus, on anything, and I have never had this.

I honestly haven't had problems with the X100 achieving focus. It will sometimes focus on the wrong thing like the background.

:thinking:

Just returned mine. I'm afraid I just can't get over how user-unfriendly the thing is. Looks gorgeous, makes great photos but what a hassle.

I really wanted to love it and I've read all the blogs and comments about learning the camera etc. I used it for a week and still found the UI frustrating - it's as if Fuji didn't pass it round real people before finalizing the design.

Worst aspect - focus. The fanboys can say what they like, it is ludicrous that a 21st century, £900 camera can't focus first time, every time. Workrounds like going into manual and pressing the AF button do work, but really.

Other stupid little things like:
1. you take a photo but can't zoom on review (like just about every other camera). You have to go back into review then zoom.
2. when reviewing you can't go thru a selection of phots at a zoom setting (like just about every other camera).
3. a stupidly long macro distance eg the distance at which you have to change the camera setting to macro to get focus (otherwise the camera tells you it's in focus (green rectangle) but it's not really).

These may seem trivial to some but every other (serious) camera I've had does these simple things and it has become part of my workflow.

The good things: I did like the VF - it really is brilliant. The EV compensation button wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be - I didn't nudge it off setting and, anyway, it's very clear in the VF if you've altered the EV (bar graph). And the camera looks great although, for me, it lacked heft and felt a bit fragile, esp things like the battery compartment. Also love the silent operation.

Once again, I compared this camera at length to my long suffering GF1. Certainly for high ISO work and results using fill flash then the Fuji walks away with the honours but with anything else it's pretty neck and neck. Even the exalted call that the Jpegs OOC are great and that white balance is always accurate wasn't my experience.

So, in sum, I decided to return the camera and wait for another iteration of the fella. Sounds like the NEX 7 is getting nearer and hopefully the Fuji X200 (or whatever) will build on the fine aspects of the X100. In the meantime, regardless of all the reviews, not the camera for me mainly down to the focus faff.

PS if you're shooting inanimate objects (and are not into chimping) I'm sure this camera would be dandy, but if something moves then forget it:).

I've seen a lot of comments like this and have decided against buying one now. The search for a compact continues....

Just ordered one of Amazon, shame that overnight they raised the price from £764.00 to £799.99 but at least I got VAT off so it came to around £640.

I sold my Fuji X10 to part fund it, although I liked the X10 I just couldn't get away from the fact that I didn't have faith in it being my primary camera with a smaller sensor and not brilliant low light capabilities compared to my old Canon DSLR.

I'll most likely be contributing to this thread once the camera arrives in the next few days.

Makes me wish I'd shopped around rather than being seduced by it in Jessops when I went to look at the x10! The finance is handy though.

Seen lots of x100 fanboys saying that people will be trading there x10s for x100s when they realise the x10 is not enough camera. Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

I bought one then sold it after a month due to the focusing issues couldn't justify the money preferred my 450d

Read this with interest Nikon Wc-E68 on X100 and wondered whether anyone had tried it? I can get a WC-E68 via my friend in the States for $45 so think for that price it's worth giving it a try

Calumet Manchester had my hard earned today - just falling asleep reading the manual while waiting for the battery to charge(y)

For once it's the right thing to do to read the manual - there are loads of great 'hidden' features in there

Have to say it's somewhat easier than the Canon one with my 5DMkII - can't wait until tomorrow to get out and about with it.

The missus is not a willing model:bat:

cyclamens said:
Have to say it's somewhat easier than the Canon one with my 5DMkII - can't wait until tomorrow to get out and about with it.

The missus is not a willing model:bat:

Mine neither but that's probably best for everyone :)

Looking forward to seeing some images appearing in here then. The x10 thread is putting this one to shame just now.

I got a thumb grip for my x100 last week. Not really used it in anger yet though.

...Seen lots of x100 fanboys saying that people will be trading their x10s for x100s when they realise the x10 is not enough camera. Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

I gave the X100 a serious look but on reflection, I really couldn't justify the cost (especially with having the 5DMKII and a 7D)... I don't think there's a camera out there that doesn't have one or two foibles and the X100 (and the X10) are no different.

I certainly won't be one of those who switches from the X10 to the X100 mainly because of the things I've read on here from real-world users (rather than just reviewers). :)

Both of the X-series cameras have something special about them... something that almost says, "I'm a photographer, not a snapper" (if that makes sense). :)

Whichever one you prefer, make the most of it and take lots of pictures this year... I certainly intend to! :D

I used to own a Nikon D40 with the wonderful 18-200mm VR lens, I too was finding I was rarely using it, fancied a change for something smaller and more unique so bought a Fuji X100.
Don't regret buying the X100 one bit and Fuji are still cracking out excellent firmware tweaks/updates.

Riz :)

brianwar said:
Yes, improvements are negligible.

I've just updated and it seems little change is evident. However, DPReview has a lot of chatter about faster af speeds.

I've just updated and it seems little change is evident. However, DPReview has a lot of chatter about faster af speeds.

I've heard a few folk saying AF is faster. Don't see it myself. In fact, I think macro AF is slower!

Dear X100 Users,

Please stop bumping this thread as I'm getting sorely tempted and I can't afford it.

Many Thanks,
SS

I've heard a few folk saying AF is faster. Don't see it myself. In fact, I think macro AF is slower!
I used it briefly at the weekend and though AF might have been a bit quicker indoors - but it could just be because I'd read other people suggesting that was the case!

Updated mine from 1.10 to 1.13 the other day...and I have to say I think the AF has markedly improved in low light. I was getting 90% successful AF lock in very poor light and contrast.

Must admit I was close to trading it in, but will give it a few more outings and see if the AF is really satisfactorily resolved, or I'm just imagining it.

sound_system said:
Dear X100 Users,

Please stop bumping this thread as I'm getting sorely tempted and I can't afford it.

Many Thanks,
SS

+1

Anymore images?..Seriously considering getting one of these!

Me too, prices seem to be coming down to a more realistic level...

Allan

(Oh, and a bump for SS.... :naughty:)

Back