Fuji x100

:D Yep going to order one tomorrow..shame no stores locally have one I can try out but think I will like it.:cool:

StuartH said:
Just about to bite the bullet on one,I take it theres no x200 due out in a week or so!!:LOL:

Spoke to Fuji about this and they rend to release in Autumn apparently... Hope that helps!

Meant to say are Clifton Camera the only people that do the 2 year warranty or is that standard with this camera,also are they reliable reputable dealer?

Well ordered and should be here tomorrow..going to be a long 24 hrs!!:D

You can always crop the X100 image when required and still retain good IQ if the fixed lens was the only thing holding you back.
Having seen one in the flesh on Saturday I wouldn't class it as compact although as stated above the X10 is not that much smaller either.

Funny that you pay all that money to get a camera that looks like the ones I have been buying recently for £20 :)

(Admittedly the film costs will add up over time but I have £680 to play with!)

You can always crop the X100 image when required and still retain good IQ if the fixed lens was the only thing holding you back.
Having seen one in the flesh on Saturday I wouldn't class it as compact although as stated above the X10 is not that much smaller either.

Funny that you pay all that money to get a camera that looks like the ones I have been buying recently for £20 :)

(Admittedly the film costs will add up over time but I have £680 to play with!)
Well if iI get bored with it maybe you would consider a straight swap..:D I would need a roll or two of film to sweeten the deal though:cool:

New firmware version 1.2 released
The firmware update Ver.1.20 incorporates the following issues.
After updating into this version of the firmware, some new functions will be added and further improvements will be observed. Those are shown as "Improved items" below.
For operation of newly added functions, which are described as following item 1 to 6, please download PDF data issued as "FinePix X100 New Feature Guide".

1.Some functions, which can be set to "Fn" button and shown as "Fn BUTTON" in SET-UP menu, can be also set to RAW button. After pressing the command dial to right in the SET-UP menu of "Fn BUTTON", "Fn" and "RAW" are displayed and each of selectable them,
Also, by holding down RAW button for more than 3 seconds, same type of selection menu for RAW button is displayed, just as short-cut procedure.
2.By selecting in "ISO" menu in the shooting menu, either ISO sensitivity value or "ISO AUTO CONTROL" can be selected.
3.When AF MODE is set to "AREA" in Single AF (AF-S) mode, active focus point is zoomed in (magnified to approx 5x) by pressing center of the command control.
4.When "ND FILTER" is set to "Fn" button or "RAW" button, setting between ON ("ND" is displayed) or OFF ("ND" is NOT displayed) can be changeable by pressing "Fn" button or "RAW" button, which is set for "ND FILTER".
5.When the image is shot with vertical angle of the camera and played back the shot in the LCD, the image is displayed with whole area of LCD even after pressing "playback zoom in" button.
6.When the human face is shot, the detected face is displayed during the playing back, and pressing the command dial to down, detected face is magnified during displaying.
7.AE control system and AF performance including AF speed has been improved for movie recording mode.

:D Nice just waiting for Mr city link now ,new firmware downloaded to desktop ready to drag on to formatted card.

If you have just purchased, you are in for a treat! It's a great piece of engineering.

Maybe though you should set it to original firmware just to see the frustrations the early adopters had to live with ;)

Have you downloaded the updated manual?

If you have just purchased, you are in for a treat! It's a great piece of engineering.

Maybe though you should set it to original firmware just to see the frustrations the early adopters had to live with ;)

Have you downloaded the updated manual?

:D:D:D:D:D mr Citylink has just delivered..battery on charge as I type.
Wow the camera itself is very very nice,more solid and heavy than I was expecting.Cant wait to get out with it.Thanks for the link to updated manual,is it much different?
Also big thumbs up to Clifton Cameras who were superb to deal with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to updated manual,is it much different?

I've not had time to read it but I'd imagine it has a number of differences due to the radical changes in firmware over the months.

Even opening the box is quite an experience! It's a beautiful piece of engineering and you can feel the quality. :)

I've not had time to read it but I'd imagine it has a number of differences due to the radical changes in firmware over the months.

Even opening the box is quite an experience! It's a beautiful piece of engineering and you can feel the quality. :)

Your not wrong! Just hope I enjoy using it as much as I am looking at it..:LOL:

(y) Thanks mate..never known a battery take so long to charge!!:nuts:

I've just done the firmware update, the new/updated features are handy

I have mine Raw+Fine Jpg (I love the fuji B/W+G Filter jpg conversion and it allows me to change to colour using the raw if I feel like it) so have reprogrammed the 'RAW' button for ISO. (Although I mostly use auto iso 1/60 3200) and I set the 'Fn' button to ND

And the zoom on the L/R command control is a nice touch too :)

If I was you this would be the first thing to do once the battery is charged as it resets the settings once it's done :wacky:

(y)Firmware updated battery charged sorted!..I have the iso settings very similar..quick snap of the pooch!

DSCF0027.jpg

That's a good first shot...looks like you're going to enjoy it!

Broad question - is there any way to set the function button to replace the AF selection button? Would be so much easier to set a focus point that way!

Thanks Mark I have no idea in answer to your question yet as I am still going through menus myself at the moment customising it..lol

That's a good first shot...looks like you're going to enjoy it!

Broad question - is there any way to set the function button to replace the AF selection button? Would be so much easier to set a focus point that way!

Mines is not at hand, If no-one has got back before I get home then I will check for you

Scott

Mark just had a look and you can set the raw or function button to control the AF..either switch from multi or to area.

I would recommend using the AFL/AEL button to focus for quick shots on the X100. I find the AF system quite strange and struggled with it until a friend suggested this approach instead.

Mark just had a look and you can set the raw or function button to control the AF..either switch from multi or to area.

I think he wants to change the selection point rather than the method of AF, so if thats what AF Mode does in the function menu then there is no way of changing selection point without using the button on the rear left or having the rear screen on the black function screen and using the jog dial points... I think :thinking:

I would recommend using the AFL/AEL button to focus for quick shots on the X100. I find the AF system quite strange and struggled with it until a friend suggested this approach instead.

I like this method of focussing, putting the x100 into manual focus and just pressing the AFL/AE button, It's quite handy when you want to change from hyperfocal distance to specific focus, but I run into trouble when I am trying to shoot one handed, its difficult to hold and press button with my right hand. I just fail at it :shake:

I think he wants to change the selection point rather than the method of AF, so if thats what AF Mode does in the function menu then there is no way of changing selection point without using the button on the rear left or having the rear screen on the black function screen and using the jog dial points... I think :thinking:

Sorry I should have been clearer. At the moment to change the selected AF point (that is, which specific AF point is being used to focus) you have to use the AF button on the left of the camera body in conjunction with the command dial/direction buttons. I find this virtually impossible to do without taking the camera away from my eye.

Ideally I would like to be able to control AF point selection just using the up/down/left/right buttons directly (as I do on the 5d2), but this seems unlikely to ever be an option given they are set to shortcuts for Macro mode etc. What I thought might be an option was to use the Fn button in place of the AF button.

I like this method of focussing, putting the x100 into manual focus and just pressing the AFL/AE button, It's quite handy when you want to change from hyperfocal distance to specific focus, but I run into trouble when I am trying to shoot one handed, its difficult to hold and press button with my right hand. I just fail at it :shake:
I've started using this approach too... though it's a shame that you can't adjust the size of the AF point in MF mode as you can in AF-S mode.

It might be worth you investigating a thumb grip if you shoot one handed sometimes. The LensMate version looks good giving some protection for the exposure comp dial too.

Yes, I use the JJC hood and it's fine, almost the same colour and fits / threads nicely. Mine was £16 or so from Amazon, I think. Certainly no reason not to try it out - easy to return if it's not what you want.

Yes, I use the JJC hood and it's fine, almost the same colour and fits / threads nicely. Mine was £16 or so from Amazon, I think. Certainly no reason not to try it out - easy to return if it's not what you want.

(y) Just what I wanted to hear..certainly got few good reviews on amazon!..Also looking at getting the lowepro apex 60 aw case for it.At least that way I can get spare battery or 2 in it and extra card etc.

Not been out with it yet but grabbed a couple of snaps of my son earlier...

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

:D No sadly for him I got the looks in the family!:naughty: He loves photography and takes quite a keen interest in anything I get.(y)

First day out with it today and found the af speed more than adequate.Great fun little camera to walk about with and virtually silent too.

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

Mr Big Issue

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

:D No sadly for him I got the looks in the family!:naughty: He loves photography and takes quite a keen interest in anything I get.(y)

How are you getting on with the X100 Stuart? I notice you had Nikon gear before, how does image quality compare?
I am thinking of getting one since I sold my Leica X1, just a bit worried about reliability and if it will be as good as the Leica.
I've read a lot of differing views on the Fuji and its niggles....
Allan

Back