Fuji x100

sound_system said:
Dear X100 Users,

Please stop bumping this thread as I'm getting sorely tempted and I can't afford it.

Many Thanks,
SS

Sell your soul... They're worth it :)

A few of mine, haven't had my X100 for very long but I love it.

6842365068_78c6978a16_b.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

6988493191_4361431c64_b.jpg
[/url]
A Sunny Afternoon by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

6842363360_976df0d17a_b.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

My question is.... is it worth parting from a Canon 5D classic with Sigma 50mm f1.4 for?

I'm looking to change for somthing that I will enjoy shooting with and isn't threatening.

Been looking at the OM-D as well. An M8 would be nice but it's far to much!

My question is.... is it worth parting from a Canon 5D classic with Sigma 50mm f1.4 for?

I'm looking to change for somthing that I will enjoy shooting with and isn't threatening.

Been looking at the OM-D as well. An M8 would be nice but it's far to much!

depends on how are you approaching this question. from IQ you might loose out a bit , especially with DoF **** I think is overrated anyway.
what you gain is - portability which is - well, obvious when you compare the two. the x100 might be more useable beyond iso800 too I think. at least the new small camera systems are better there then the old pro/semi pro dslr's .

om-d m5 - looks like it's going to be a killer ! I'm so looking forward first real test and nice price drops :D

actually om-d might be the only camera you'll ever need unless for sports etc.

depends on how are you approaching this question. from IQ you might loose out a bit , especially with DoF **** I think is overrated anyway.
what you gain is - portability which is - well, obvious when you compare the two. the x100 might be more useable beyond iso800 too I think. at least the new small camera systems are better there then the old pro/semi pro dslr's .

om-d m5 - looks like it's going to be a killer ! I'm so looking forward first real test and nice price drops :D

actually om-d might be the only camera you'll ever need unless for sports etc.

I tend to do a few different subjects, I've done a few weddings and to be honest don't enjoy it at all!

I more enjoy portraits, candid stuff etc.

It is nice to be able to isolate with DOF, but its not the be all end all as you say.

for candid stuff it's perfect I thinks.
only the black version would be even better, but I've yet to see it for sale.

problem you might face with portraits - not being able to use tele lenses.

You're not going to get the same look with a 23mm f2 on APS-C as you get with 50mm f1.4 on full frame, not at the extreme aperture anyway. Maybe the X Pro 1 with 35mm f1.4 could be a better option.

but you do get the same DoF with 25mm f0.95 as the f1.4 on FF :naughty:

I can get less DoF with the 25mm f0.95 on MFT because it's a wide aperture and that lens will focus closer than a 50mm f1.4 will on full frame. Wide aperture + close focus = very shallow DoF :D

35mm f1.4 on APS-C will get you much closer to the look of a 50mm f1.4 on full frame at extreme aperture than a 23mm f2 will.

Glad to explain this one to you :D

I can get less DoF with the 25mm f0.95 on MFT because it's a wide aperture and that lens will focus closer than a 50mm f1.4 will on full frame. Wide aperture + close focus = very shallow DoF :D

yes ! but I was thinking in real distances - a person in full length for example.
looking at it from physics perspective it should be true because of the sensor/frame area.

35mm f1.4 on APS-C will get you much closer to the look of a 50mm f1.4 on full frame at extreme aperture than a 23mm f2 will.

Glad to explain this one to you :D

it will, yes I know . not that I care about Dof . I shoot mainly f5.6+ anyway apart from indoors. :D

The difference between 23 and 35mm will very probably make a difference at what you call real distances with both the overall look and the DoF as a full length shot is still quite close at these lengths. At the wider end of the range including 23/35mm on APS-C 12mm does make a difference.

Again, glad to help you out on this one :LOL:

My point now seems to have been lost, such is life... 35mm on APS-C will probably get closer to the look of 50mm on FF but having said all that the X100 does look a nice camera, but the X Pro 1 might give more options now that it's available :)

Last edited:
as was talking purely about apertures.

the focal length - yes - a 35 on aps-c is similar to 50 on FF although it's just an illusion.

x pro 1 will be a very nice camera, no nonsense, tough and small. although far to expensive for my personal liking and I suppose for a lot off people as - it's a new format and you can't do the same tricks as with m4/3rds for example - go from pockety gx1 + prime to using the same lenses on GH series or on the big gun - F series for video.

If you're talking apertures you'll need an ever wider aperture as you use ever wider focal lengths to get the shallow look, if that's what you want. Or you could reduce your camera to subject distance but with wide angle lenses that can get you a different but still interesting image :D

FoV is no illusion, it's pretty much the same but there's more to the look of an image than FoV and from using APS-C at 20 and 30mm and full frame at 50mm I can say that all have their charms but as the OP has a 5D+50mm f1.4 I thought the X Pro 1 + 35mm f1.4 option was worth mentioning as it'll give a more similar look without having to change shooting distances and styles.

The X Pro 1 does look nice, also has a nice price.

The price of it comes very close to an M8 :)

True but I imagine it it better-specified and with more up to date technology than an M8. ;)

I was thinking earlier that one could get a 5D2 with the asking price of a X Pro 1, nice as it is.

Last edited:
If you're talking apertures you'll need an ever wider aperture as you use ever wider focal lengths to get the shallow look, if that's what you want. Or you could reduce your camera to subject distance but with wide angle lenses that can get you a different but still interesting image :D

FoV is no illusion, it's pretty much the same but there's more to the look of an image than FoV and from using APS-C at 20 and 30mm and full frame at 50mm I can say that all have their charms but as the OP has a 5D+50mm f1.4 I thought the X Pro 1 + 35mm f1.4 option was worth mentioning as it'll give a more similar look without having to change shooting distances and styles.

Yes ! :D

True but I imagine it it better-specified and with more up to date technology than an M8. ;)

I was thinking earlier that one could get a 5D2 with the asking price of a X Pro 1, nice as it is.

a big fact with leica is that if you want to use Leica lenses it's going to cost a lot !

for around 1400 pounds you can also buy a car :p . so - each to their own. only real alternative to xpro1 is leica m8, m7, m6 or hexar rf + scanner.

Wheres the best place to get one of these at the moment?..Cheapest I can find it for is £699

I just remembered that there was a promotion code at the time, trawl through the thread and you may find it - just replace FEB with march and it may work? My refurb was as new btw.

lol not sold on x10 yet the x100 keeps dragging me back!..Whats the voucher code?..tried one it didnt work and at 660 rather pay 40 quid more for brand new.Are the refurbs ones that have had the sticky blade problem and repaired?

lol not sold on x10 yet the x100 keeps dragging me back!..Whats the voucher code?..tried one it didnt work and at 660 rather pay 40 quid more for brand new.Are the refurbs ones that have had the sticky blade problem and repaired?

No idea about the nature of the refurb models Stuart but I would imagine Fuji wouldn't release them without ensuring they met the requisite criteria.

I have to say that the X100 has that very strong retro appeal but that it only comes in 23mm guise plus some of it's foibles just holds me back that much.

Discount vouchers may be found here

Thanks for the link mate..totally understand its limitations but keep getting drawn back to it and quite fancy a change in style of shooting..I may regret it or it may rejuvinate my interest.:cool:

I'd personally pay £699 from Clifton with 2 years warranty and platinum service.

Thanks chris..thought the two year and platinum service came with all new ones regardless where you buy as long as its an authorised dealer.

The platinum service comes free of charge from authorised dealers yeah, but Clifton offer 2 years warranty themselves as far as I know.

Thanks chris..thought the two year and platinum service came with all new ones regardless where you buy as long as its an authorised dealer.

Stuart have you gone and tried out both cameras?

My own conclusion having tried both was that:

- the X10 wasn't much smaller than the X100 so the size argument of getting a 'compact' camera went out the window.

-the VF of the X10 wasn't what I was expecting and I found it disappointing.

No not tried them out yet but plan on doing so. I am leaning toward the x100 more as image quality is my main concern. The view finder looks superb on the x100 too. Only thing making me consider the x10 is the zoom but think i could quite enjoy shooting with the fixed focal length of the x100. I quite often used to put a prime on my dslr and go outfor the day shooting,it makes you think more about things and its quite enjoyable.

Stuart have you gone and tried out both cameras?

My own conclusion having tried both was that:

- the X10 wasn't much smaller than the X100 so the size argument of getting a 'compact' camera went out the window.

-the VF of the X10 wasn't what I was expecting and I found it disappointing.

You're right Mr Cello. That VF of the X10 isn't it's defining feature and thank goodness for that. However there us much more to the X10 that merits further consideration. I think though that Stuart has his heart more in the X100 camp. To a large extent I can see the appeal of it's retro approach, it's excellent VF and image quality but even if I could live with some of it's idiosyncrasies, the deal killer for me is it's fixed prime lens. I have nothing against fixed primes but if I only had one compact to shoot with I would rather have the advantage of a wider focal range.

Last edited:
Its a tough call..i could get an ipad 3 and an x10 for the price of an x100 and case lol!!

Its a tough call..i could get an ipad 3 and an x10 for the price of an x100 and case lol!!

So much for this retro movement. I remember there was a time when cases were part of the deal but camera companies no longer bundle cases together with the picture-taking stuff :( Mind you I hardly used my ever ready case back in my film days anyway. £80 or whatever they're asking for the x100 case is a lot of money. I'd rather get a retro-looking satchel into which I could also stick a sandwich, drink, extra battery, card wallet etc ;)

Just about to bite the bullet on one,I take it theres no x200 due out in a week or so!!:LOL:

Back