Fuji x100

Yes I too noticed that the Gordys have disappeared from that site, that's what prompted me to look on eBay. I think I'll give one of the Footprint's a go.

Dave, the one I just bought came with a Gordy's wrist strap. Very robust and comfortable.

I brought a Footprint one off ebay. Very nice too.

How are you getting on with it Keith?

Not done much with it yet tbh mate......just playing around with the different settings and reading through the manual and various forums. Most of my time taken up with family stuff - so little left over for photography. Very pleased with it so far though........handling is much better than the X10 - probably 'cos it's a bit bigger......and I love the viewfinder (both of them). Definitely going to get a thumb-grip thingy though (when I can find one at a decent price)! I've got a few on the memory card to process, but I only have my laptop with me and the version of Aperture on it can't do X100 raw files, so I'll have to wait until I get home.

Mmm. Cake and Carlsberg. Calorie free...

Hello,

Most probably I will storm quite a debate with this post so I apologise in advance for my ignorance.
I'd like to buy a x100 and I've got my heart set on this.
However, the lack of zoom kind of puts me off.
Why would I buy a x10 (which has a zoom) and NOT a x100 where the reviews are a massive push towards that way ?

Thank you very much indeed!

First of all, if you want a zoom, or worry about the lack of zoom on an X100, dont buy one.

Its a fixed frame camera with a maximum aperture of ƒ2 and a 35mm ( equivalent) lens. I have read plenty of posts by people who criticise both these aspects and berate the camera because of it. ( I love the X100 but wish it had an ƒ1.4 lens / 50mm lens, etc etc)

So, basically, if you are in the market for a 35mm ( equiv) fixed lens ƒ2 digital camera with a hybrid viewfinder, buy an X100. Its an excellent camera that gives stunning results, but it has a few minor niggles ( none that bother most of its owners though)

Fuji allow a little leeway in that they now sell a wide angle converter for it.

The X10 is a great camera too and if you want a zoom, get one, but you wont get an APS size sensor ( as in the X100) so there will be some compromise there.

You just need to work out which one you want and accept that you cant have everything.

Allan

Thanks, I'm just going to show my wife this. I told her there were no calories in beer or cake.......

Allan

You're welcome:D

Not had my X100 too long and hoping it will turn out to be my best yet street camera...

Have read most of this thread, but just wondering if

1) There are any recommendations for third party batteries? £40+ is a bit steep for a spare original... you seem to either pay sub £10 for a cr8ppy third party, none of which seem to work, or buy genuine... Is there a recommendation for a third party battery that actually behaves like the original?

2) Anyone using a Thumbs Up thumb rest or preferably a much cheaper alternative they would recommend as well built and ideal ergonomics?

Thanks

2) Anyone using a Thumbs Up thumb rest or preferably a much cheaper alternative they would recommend as well built and ideal ergonomics?

Thanks

I'm using a lensmate thumb grip. Worth it just for the protection around the exposure comp dial, it was always getting changed accidentally.

I've had my X100 for a week or so now and I'm loving it - quirks an' all!! So I thought I'd post some more shots taken with it. These were taken in JPEG and converted to black and white using an Apple App:

Portsmouth from Gosport by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Portsmouth from Gosport by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Empty bench by Keith Burton, on Flickr

I find it quite liberating not to have to worry about which lens to have on the camera and which one(s) to take "just in case". I also have an X10 which I was originally thinking about selling on, but I'll probably be keeping it now as a companion to the X100. Having said all that, I've no intention of getting rid of my D3 et al.........not yet anyway:D

Last edited:
Keith...sweeeeeeet....lovin' 'em.

Im using one of these batteries without issue. Seems to last as long as the genuine one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KYS4AO/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Thanks... 3 reviews, two suggest it is a lesser capacity like most of the copies... interesting that yours performs the same as an original. It's odd that there appears to be no middle ground, seems to be these cheaper ones that are a lottery, and the original which is fine. As a spare, maybe this one will do.

Good tip for storing the spare battery and avoiding it shorting out in your pocket on coins, keys etc. - put it in an empty Tic-Tac box. It fits like a glove once you've trimmed down the length of the push in lid a bit!

Good tip for storing the spare battery and avoiding it shorting out in your pocket on coins, keys etc. - put it in an empty Tic-Tac box. It fits like a glove once you've trimmed down the length of the push in lid a bit!

Good idea..............and an excuse to eat at least one box of Tic-Tacs:D

Very Tic Tacky but if it works :D

Hey! What are you doing on this thread............thinking of chucking out your M4/3 stuff and going Fuji??:D

A misty sunrise at Tolcarne Beach, Newquay. Low noise reduction in camera, ISO1600.

Excellent Dave..........Did you take your "real" it as well?

Had my x100 almost a month now and I love it! Nice not having to carry around a large bag of heavy lenses. Contemplating selling up on the DLSR and getting an x10 as a companion to it.

Not a big fan of the Leather case I got, also not a big fan of straps on my camera's. Have got a leather wrist strap just to be safe. But have been looking at messenger type bags to carry it in, wondered if anyone had one they used. I searched the thread and found someone was using a case logic bag for their x10 but doesn't look like it would fit an x100.

Guess its a try and see thing.

Back