Fuji x100

Keep toying with the idea of this... would save taking out the d300 when i just wanted to go light and would replace my canon s95 as the portable camera... but a number do seem to be coming up for sale on the forum so do people buy as a novelty thing and then get bored/or think its not actually that useful??

I think it depends on how people deal with it being a fixed 35mm and if they can adapt their style of shooting to match.

I personally don't shoot more than 90mm and 35mm-50mm for me is great, so can adjust the 'zoom' with my feet - especially with street photography. I think I am a bit more comfortable with a 50mm lens, but can adapt well enough to 35mm :)

I just got the X100 on Friday from a member here. I love it already!

Here is one of the first photos I took with it. Not up to the standard of some of the excellent photos in this thread but it`s a start :D

7900577166_711a398dba_b.jpg

Mine is one of the ones currently up for sale. 3 times today I have nearly taken it off the for sale board! I love the camera, it's just that at the moment I am loving the idea of having a 35L more... When I bought the X100 I only had a 1Ds2 and only shot for myself. Since then I have got into weddings shooting as a second and have also now shot one solo. My requirements have changed; I also now have a 7D as backup and I picked up a 35 f2, but as I've rented a 35L in the past I'm thinking that will be where my future lies...

So my heart wants to keep the X100, but my head says sell it now and get onboard with a 35L.

I've got a X100 and will have again (tomorrow) a 35L.

Although they are the same focal range, they fit different situations in my mind. The X100 is very much a go anywhere camera, whereas the 35L is a working lens being a lot bulkier and heavier.

So given all the known issues which fuji seem to be resolving, would you buy a refurb seen as the price is about £100 lower than new?

As far as I can tell, apart from being 'used' and the possibility of a few used marks, the warranty etc is the same as a new purchase (unless you get from JL or somewhere offering extended warranty.

Just to add, not sure as to be wary as have never purchased refurb camera kit before and am concerned that id get a duffer re sab!!

Last edited:
mrhoddy said:
So given all the known issues which fuji seem to be resolving, would you buy a refurb seen as the price is about £100 lower than new?

As far as I can tell, apart from being 'used' and the possibility of a few used marks, the warranty etc is the same as a new purchase (unless you get from JL or somewhere offering extended warranty.

Just to add, not sure as to be wary as have never purchased refurb camera kit before and am concerned that id get a duffer re sab!!

I think it's a personal thing. I bought an X10 refurb because it was coming to £270 and the the leather case was half price when bought at the same time, and I was going to be erring that case anyway.

However, I bought my X100 brand new from Jessops. That was partly because I had some vouchers but I still think at around £600 ish I would buy new. The £270 didn't seem too much of a gamble but we all have our limits.

If the question is whether to buy one at all, then I would say I don't regret buying my X100 or X10 one bit! I just love using them!

I think it's a personal thing. I bought an X10 refurb because it was coming to £270 and the the leather case was half price when bought at the same time, and I was going to be erring that case anyway.

However, I bought my X100 brand new from Jessops. That was partly because I had some vouchers but I still think at around £600 ish I would buy new. The £270 didn't seem too much of a gamble but we all have our limits.

If the question is whether to buy one at all, then I would say I don't regret buying my X100 or X10 one bit! I just love using them!

No I think Im def up for one just not sure if a refurb on as it may be one of the 'old' ones that appear to be more likely to suffer from sab afaik

Although the refurb price is attractive you don't actually know what you are getting. That's why I bought a nearly new (2012) model off this forum - paid slightly more but it came with useful extras. And a receipt with the remainder of the Platinum warranty so safe as houses.

Thought I`d share another one. This is a much photographed scene in Hereford but this camera gives it a certain quality which I find really satisfying...

7928579454_a57ca4aebb_b.jpg

I have a refurb and was pretty much brand new with a it of damaged box and thats it. With the Fuji warranty I don't see a reason not to buy one with the great saving you get and also considering how disposable cameras are getting....

I have a refurb and was pretty much brand new with a it of damaged box and thats it. With the Fuji warranty I don't see a reason not to buy one with the great saving you get and also considering how disposable cameras are getting....

I also have a refurb, and see no reason if i was buying again to buy one for full price.

Buying direct from Fuji meant i had very quick service - from calling Fuji about the SAB problem to receiving a new unit was 5 days.

I bought mine off eBay and found out it had SAB. Fuji repaired it in three days, no questions asked, and the repair slip said they had replaced the lens unit. I would go for a refurb as any necessary repairs are both quick and likely to be a one-off event.

Although the refurb price is attractive you don't actually know what you are getting. That's why I bought a nearly new (2012) model off this forum - paid slightly more but it came with useful extras. And a receipt with the remainder of the Platinum warranty so safe as houses.

You see thats the way I'm thinking, its not so much a 'might have been thrown about' more than I would know what model it would be ie 2012 or 2011 - whilst they seem to be good about its just would be an extra hassle

For those that purchased refurbs recently - were they older or newer models?

If saving the cash is critical, then just do it. If it isn't, then buy new. And if you are in the middle, buy used.

It doesn't seem you are sure about a refurb so it doesn't sound worth the risk (for you).

No its not critical but if the refurbs have been newer models and all the difference is an open box with some light use then I fail to see the value in going new.

If however it is one of the older versions, open box with some light use then Id have to give more thought to whether the saving was still worth it thats all - just wanted to see what models recent refurb's had been

I seriously considered a refurb before I bought mine, but I thought the likelihood of getting the newest model was low.
Also, I have never really kept any cameras for long, so resale value was also something else to think about.
In the end I went for new with a Platinum warranty.
I am sure the refurbs are fine, as many will tell you on here, but I wanted to open a fresh box and not have anyone else have touched it before I got it.
It was worth the extra £100 or so to me and so far, it has performed faultlessly and its a real pleasure to use.
I may have to break an age old tradition and actually keep it!

Allan

allanm said:
I seriously considered a refurb before I bought mine, but I thought the likelihood of getting the newest model was low.
Also, I have never really kept any cameras for long, so resale value was also something else to think about.
In the end I went for new with a Platinum warranty.
I am sure the refurbs are fine, as many will tell you on here, but I wanted to open a fresh box and not have anyone else have touched it before I got it.
It was worth the extra £100 or so to me and so far, it has performed faultlessly and its a real pleasure to use.
I may have to break an age old tradition and actually keep it!

Allan

I agree completely with all of this :)

No its not critical but if the refurbs have been newer models and all the difference is an open box with some light use then I fail to see the value in going new.

If however it is one of the older versions, open box with some light use then Id have to give more thought to whether the saving was still worth it thats all - just wanted to see what models recent refurb's had been

As somebody said above, if you buy used then you can at least get some info on the specific camera you are getting. With refurbs you get what they give you (I presume). You could try to call Fuji UK and see what they say. I got excellent service when I had to send my x100 back and they may be able to tell you something about their refurb stock.

My refurb is a 2011 model. Box was a wee bit tatty, couple of small dings on the raised edge around the screen - not the screen itself - but otherwise perfect. I think it was £520 when I bought it with discount - £130 less than best new price. Were those small marks worth £130? To me? Yes. Maybe it had SAB? Maybe someone dinged it and it developed a fault so they sent it back claiming a fault with the camera? Don't care. To my mind, a refurbed camera is most likely going to be as good - if not better - than a new/ factory assembled one, as they will have had to fault-find, fix and test thoroughly before releasing it again. I may be completely wrong about that of course, but I'm still happy. I would definitely buy again from Fuji refurb.

would guess it is to do with having £600 tied up in a camera with a fixed 35 equivalent lens as that could get tiring for some?

Isn't that like any bit of camera equipment. Many would pay much more than that just for a 35mm lens. Others might pay 10 times that for a leica and then only ever use it with a 35mm, the now long established reportage/street photography set up.

I shoot professionally with a Nikon D3 set up and bought the fuji as a break from that and still love it. The olympus is attractive though and if I ever went that route would sell the fuji. But the Fuji is pure, it is what it says it is. My only thought is I would like it to be less feature packed. Give me an olympus OM1 with a digital sensor and I would love it.

The sort of stuff that I shoot with the X100 is like the shot below.

Connected by stewdavid.com, on Flickr

I had my heart set on one of these but have now had my head turned by the Sony RX100. Does anyone have hands on experience with both cameras? Why would people say the pros/cons are of each?

I had my heart set on one of these but have now had my head turned by the Sony RX100. Does anyone have hands on experience with both cameras? Why would people say the pros/cons are of each?

Funnily enough, I did get to have a play with a mate's RX100 a couple of weeks ago. Got to say I was highly impressed with it in every way. I'd go as far as to say that as a purely rational purchase, it is the better camera. It's properly pocketable, has a decent zoom lens (not fast at the long end but I think it just about equals the Fuji at equivalent length) and the image quality looks to be excellent. I believe it is also cheaper than the X100? I can't possibly imagine that there is a better compact available.

Would I swap my X100 for one? No way! I didn't really buy my Fuji just to have a decent compact, it was a complete impulse purchase. The X100 is just so tactile to use and frankly is great just to look at! Shallow I know, but at least I'm honest!

Last edited:
Isn't that like any bit of camera equipment. Many would pay much more than that just for a 35mm lens. Others might pay 10 times that for a leica and then only ever use it with a 35mm, the now long established reportage/street photography set up.

Don't disagree. My comment was based on people who have a DSLR and lots of lenses, buying an X100 as a simpler solution only to find the fixed lens too inflexible for them. They end up not using it much and would rather buy another lens or something else with the money.

Only guessing as a potential reason why so many are for sell.

ernesto said:
Don't disagree. My comment was based on people who have a DSLR and lots of lenses, buying an X100 as a simpler solution only to find the fixed lens too inflexible for them. They end up not using it much and would rather buy another lens or something else with the money.

I would agree with this. People will see the positive comments on the X100 and jump on it. At the same time people read the negative comments and won't touch one.

If you like recording every little thing you see and zoom in on every other person and scene you pass by and are the kind of person that accumulates 100's or 1000's of pictures shooting sports or your vacation, you might be frustrated with the X100.

The people that sell might have got excited about the X100 only to find out the extra cash was worth more than their use of the camera. Others might be flat out disappointed it didn't make them better photographers or that it wasn't as fast as an SLR. Keep in mind that there are all sorts of SLR's for sale on here as well. I think people thinking about the X100 see a lot of them because they are looking for one. It's kind of like buying a new car and then noticing everyone else has one. Them again, I don't see a lot of Xpro1's for sale but at its price tag an limited lens line up (or compared to the X100, too many options) I don't think many people own them yet.

Some gear heads like the X100 for its novelty affect but gear heads like gear and an SLR is what fills that gap. The X100 alone won't satisfy a gear head.

The SLR didn't make me a better photographer, it just gave me options, size, and weight. If I need an SLR I'll rent one. The size and weight is just not worth the inconvenience to me and the X100 sensor delivers.

Geez, I almost sound like Ken Rockwell. Haha

I guess if you look at it as a 35mm (equivalent) lens that, handily, has a camera attached, then it would be a handy addition to a dslr user.

Personally, I don't find the fixed lens frustrating, in fact I think it's a fun camera which makes you think about composition more

But then, I grew up with film cameras, mostly rangefinders, that generally came with a 35 or 50 mm lens and most people were perfectly happy using that. It wasn't till my 4th digital camera that I had a zoom lens ( a Fuji S6900, probably) and I used that either wide open or at full zoom

But regarding the amount for sale, I don't think there are that many, but I can imagine people impulse buying them and not getting on with the fixed lens when there are so many zoom lenses about

If you do your research and figure the X100 is a perfect fit for your sort of photography, you will want to keep it
Allan

Are there many coming up for sale in comparison to how many were sold?

If you do your research and figure the X100 is a perfect fit for your sort of photography, you will want to keep it
Allan

Agree, just putting it out there as a potential reason for people selling.

I know I would have liked an X100 as I only own one lens and that is a prime and am quite happy with it. However I don't like the slow focusing and I prefer the SLR shape (grip with button in more natural place for hand/finger angle for me)
I have tried to convice myself I should get an X100 many times but I always lose my own argument :)

Agree, just putting it out there as a potential reason for people selling.

I know I would have liked an X100 as I only own one lens and that is a prime and am quite happy with it. However I don't like the slow focusing and I prefer the SLR shape (grip with button in more natural place for hand/finger angle for me)
I have tried to convice myself I should get an X100 many times but I always lose my own argument :)

Not every camera suits everybody, it looks like you have made your mind up to not get one.
Personally, I prefer it to the bulk of an slr and the grip for me is quite comfortable
I know you can get thumbs ups and probably bolt on grips, but you are never going to get slr focus speed. You either learn to live with it or look elsewhere.

The iq, size and (mostly) looks sold it to me.
I can't be bothered lugging around heavy gear anymore so for me it was an easy choice
I don't miss my D300 at all.

Allan

I took my X100 to an event today. Gave my Nikon D700 a rest for a while and just shot on the X100. It really is capable of lovely images and having a fixed focal length, well I think it encourages more thoughtful photography. This is simply one from today just for the hell of it, and only a quick edit...there are flaws in the PP but I wanted to post so there! :)

cd615acb.jpg

Back