Fuji x100

Can't say I'd find focus peaking on the X100 (or equivalent) particularly useful. On the likes of the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 with longer lenses, yes, but not the X100.

Hopefully everything will be available as a firmware upgrade on the x100....

Would be impressed if the new sensor was included in the firmware update ;) Sorry couldn't resist.

Anybody able to enlighten me as to what exactly focus peaking is? Presume it's some sort of viewfinder zoomed area to help manual focus? Could only see this working if they do something about the diabolical way in which the focus ring currently operates.

Will be interesting to see what there is in terms of hardware changes. A exposure compensation lock maybe...

Maybe it will have good image detection and if your framing or subject is crap it won't let you take the shot, one other thing I would find useful is if taking too many shots of the same thing it stops you from doing it after say 2 shots :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it just speeded up the A/F it would be fine. I thought the X100 was supposed to be a fairly gimmick free camera, they will probably add special scene modes and the old favourite, miniaturisation... :(

Allan

Tip: if like me you leave in the filter ring on I find the metal Fuji lens cap is slightly too large and falls off easily. I now pop an elastic band round the filter ring and the cap fits nice and snug. Simple and pointless but a tip nevertheless that works for me. :D

Band by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Tip: if like me you leave in the filter ring on I find the metal Fuji lens cap is slightly too large and falls off easily. I now pop an elastic band round the filter ring and the cap fits nice and snug. Simple and pointless but a tip nevertheless that works for me. :D

Band by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

You could probably get a thin black o-ring to fit there that would maybe look quite neat. I ended up getting a 49mm pinch centre lens cap but since I bought a full case I rarely bother putting it on.

You could probably get a thin black o-ring to fit there that would maybe look quite neat. I ended up getting a 49mm pinch centre lens cap but since I bought a full case I rarely bother putting it on.
It was a little annoying everytime I took the camera out of its case the cap would fall off. I did think about a normal 49mm lens cap but I like the orignal. I like the idea of a black o-ring though.

How do you find your X100 and OM-D compare (other than fixed lens vs. interchangeable)?

How do you find your X100 and OM-D compare (other than fixed lens vs. interchangeable)?
They are completely two different monsters. I like the x100 because you don't have the option of carrying lots of lenses and again I like the Oly because you have a endless choice. If I had to lose one of them it would be the X100 that would go, the Oly is in my mind just superb and I couldn't be without it, thankfully I don't have to make that decision. :D Focus with the Oly puts the x100 to shame and quality I think at higher iso is better with the Oly too. I do love using the x100 though but they really are very different tools.

They are completely two different monsters. I like the x100 because you don't have the option of carrying lots of lenses and again I like the Oly because you have a endless choice. If I had to lose one of them it would be the X100 that would go, the Oly is in my mind just superb and I couldn't be without it, thankfully I don't have to make that decision. :D Focus with the Oly puts the x100 to shame and quality I think at higher iso is better with the Oly too. I do love using the x100 though but they really are very different tools.

Thanks - interesting observations. I love my X100 but it can never be the only camera I'd take with me, and the OM-D looks superb.

Ajophotog said:

High ISO better on the Olympus? Really? I would be interested in hearing more about that, I would have thought the opposite.

Interesting observations. Must admit I've been really tempted by an OM-D recently to replace both my X100 and D300. The D300 gets used with a 50mm for pictures of my 1 year old or with something longer for rallying. The X100 gets used for everything else. I only really have the D300 because the X100 focussing just isn't up to the task of capturing a toddler, especially indoors and of course it isn't much cop for fast moving rally cars.

It occurs to me that the OM-D might just about cover both of these roles. It would fill the X100's job of being compact and stylish in form. It could also be coupled to a longer lens for rallying. What I'm worried about though is whether the AF would cope with either the rallying or a toddler? Any idea? The big downside of course is the cost of all those lovely m4/3 primes!

High ISO better on the Olympus? Really? I would be interested in hearing more about that, I would have thought the opposite.

I hear that it's pretty much on a par which is damn impressive the OM-D's side given the relatively small sensor.

Yes really, I have no worries using iso 3200 on the oly but 1600 is max on the x100 I am happy with. Not that I have done any scientific testing just plan observations using both. Other people may think differently but that is how I see it.

Interesting observations. Must admit I've been really tempted by an OM-D recently to replace both my X100 and D300. The D300 gets used with a 50mm for pictures of my 1 year old or with something longer for rallying. The X100 gets used for everything else. I only really have the D300 because the X100 focussing just isn't up to the task of capturing a toddler, especially indoors and of course it isn't much cop for fast moving rally cars.

It occurs to me that the OM-D might just about cover both of these roles. It would fill the X100's job of being compact and stylish in form. It could also be coupled to a longer lens for rallying. What I'm worried about though is whether the AF would cope with either the rallying or a toddler? Any idea? The big downside of course is the cost of all those lovely m4/3 primes!

Checkout the om-d forum, lots of talk about af and the like in there.

Checkout the om-d forum, lots of talk about af and the like in there.

Yeah, I've read a fair bit. It's always tough to gauge though as you get a mixture of responses ranging from AF is appalling to AF is superb! I guess it depends what people are used to. Owning a D300 and an X100, I see both ends of the spectrum and if the OM-D is closer to the D300 end then it might well work for me, cost dependent.

Alby, loving those 10stop pics. I've just bought one for my X100 and planned to do something similar this weekend.

Ajophotog said:
Yes really, I have no worries using iso 3200 on the oly but 1600 is max on the x100 I am happy with. Not that I have done any scientific testing just plan observations using both. Other people may think differently but that is how I see it.

Would you mind taking photos side by side for some comparisons? Did some reading earlier after I saw your comment and everything I saw online comparing the two cameras suggested that the OM-D wasn't a match for pure IQ, and quite a few specifically referred to the X100's superior high ISO.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I was surprised to see what you said as I had assumed differently. I havent properly used an OM-D before, i had a quick play in Jessops but wasn't impressed with the cluttered layout and fiddly buttons - though I was impressed with the fast AF in comparison with the X100. So if what you say is true I would give it another glance!

Yeah, I've read a fair bit. It's always tough to gauge though as you get a mixture of responses ranging from AF is appalling to AF is superb! I guess it depends what people are used to. Owning a D300 and an X100, I see both ends of the spectrum and if the OM-D is closer to the D300 end then it might well work for me, cost dependent.

I find the af super quick but the tracking lets it down so I never really use the tracking modes. I guess it depends how you use it but I seem to have good success capturing moving subjects and others don't. I have used film for many years so manual focus was the norm for me and I have switch to using that for high speed flying puffins. It is a great camera but maybe not for everyone but for me it suits. I do find the focus on the x100 frustrating at times but I do love using the camera.

Alby, loving those 10stop pics. I've just bought one for my X100 and planned to do something similar this weekend.

Good luck in your quest Des, I'll look forward to seeing your results if you post them up.

Would you mind taking photos side by side for some comparisons? Did some reading earlier after I saw your comment and everything I saw online comparing the two cameras suggested that the OM-D wasn't a match for pure IQ, and quite a few specifically referred to the X100's superior high ISO.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I was surprised to see what you said as I had assumed differently. I havent properly used an OM-D before, i had a quick play in Jessops but wasn't impressed with the cluttered layout and fiddly buttons - though I was impressed with the fast AF in comparison with the X100. So if what you say is true I would give it another glance!

Yes I will do when I get time. Maybe I'm not getting the best out of my x100 yet but I have found the shots from my om-d better at higher iso.:shrug: I have not had the x100 that long so it may not be setup as it should if that is the case.

Quick test using x100 at f11 1/8 iso 3200 and e-m5 panny 20mm f1.7 f11 1/5 iso 3200. Make your own mind up with these. All shot raw and converted to jpg using aperture, no pp apart from the conversion to jpg and cropping. What do you think is better? I will say the fuji lens is better than the panny though.

Testing 1 (1) by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Testing 2 (1) by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Crops.

Testing 1 by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Testing 2 by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick test using x100 at f11 1/8 iso 3200 and e-m5 panny 20mm f1.7 f11 1/5 iso 3200. Make your own mind up with these. All shot raw and converted to jpg using aperture, no pp apart from the conversion to jpg and cropping. What do you think is better? I will say the fuji lens is better than the panny though.

If you're hoping to compare high ISO noise performance then you'll get a better comparison in a scene with more shadow areas where noise is more likely to show.

Back