Fuji x100

You know what? I'm a complete tool... just checked the histo and my eyes happened to veer to the left... I've got exposure dialed down 2/3rds of a stop. That thing is so easy to shift and not notice... serves me right for not checking my shots!

So another question: Is it normal for my LCD to not show that dialed down exposure? Checking my LCD brightness now...

Edit - yes, my LCD was a decent amount above 0. Oops. Today is not my day :)

Last edited:
toadstool said:
You know what? I'm a complete tool... just checked the histo and my eyes happened to veer to the left... I've got exposure dialed down 2/3rds of a stop. That thing is so easy to shift and not notice... serves me right for not checking my shots!

I had the same problem, have a look at the lens mate thumb grip. It has an extension that covers the exposure dial and it hasn't happened since.

Just thought I'd put up a quick shot........taken today in very gloomy and overcast conditions in Lewes. Taken in RAW then converted to mono using Snapseed:

Brewery by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Hi all, after wanting an x100 since they were released and seeing some of the great shots on here i finally got a mint 2 month old one from LCE. Already impressed with the indoor shots ive got tonight and plan to take it out tomorrow. :)

You say that, but, the x100s actually has AF, the only thing that put me and a lot of people off thinking the x100 is amazing, hard for some to justify initial launch but price will drop.

When the x100 was first announced, it was compared to the Leica X1, and all the criticism of the X1 was how slow the AF was compared to the X100
Now, a year or so down the line, people are complaining how slow the AF is on the X100!
I had the Leica when it came out, and yes, the AF could be a little slow at times, but the image quality more than made up for it
There were lots of posts raving over the X100 when it was announced and when I sold my X1, I bought an X100. I really liked the idea of a proper viewfinder, and the faster AF would be the icing on the cake
In actual fact, the AF didn't really seem much of an improvement, so I actually sacrificed Leica IQ for a nice viewfinder.
I guess when people compared the new X100s AF to the original, it won't be that much different. What you are actually getting is an overall upgrade to an already superb ( and ridiculously cheap) X100 to keep pace with today's cameras
The main things that will make me think seriously about the X100s are the price coming down a bit, improvements to manual focus, better processor then the AF. I would have liked a better lens that is sharper at F2, but I suppose that will come with the next update
I actually sold my X100 a few weeks ago to help my Wife fund the Governments useless fiscal policy ( tax bill) and I have been promised a new X100s as soon as the new financial year starts
Can't wait
Allan

People that are getting banding in higher ISOs, are you using the EVF/rear screen? Do you stil;l get the banding if you use the OVF?

Does anyone know if there is a quick way to turn Auto ISO on and off without going in to the menus? For instance if ive got auto iso set and then decide to put the flash on for a shot i have to mess about in the menu to turn it off so i can have a low ISO. I wish turning the flash on would knock the iso down in auto mode. Wish i was a millionair too but hey such is life..

Cheers, Matt.

Hi,

Ordered a Cable Release today has Anybody used one on the X100.

Regards.

Yup, but I found it to be quite fussy and it wasn't until I tried a third cable release (Jessops one off eBay) that I got one to work and stay attached properly.

Does anyone know if there is a quick way to turn Auto ISO on and off without going in to the menus? For instance if ive got auto iso set and then decide to put the flash on for a shot i have to mess about in the menu to turn it off so i can have a low ISO. I wish turning the flash on would knock the iso down in auto mode. Wish i was a millionair too but hey such is life..

Cheers, Matt.

Unfortunately there is no quick way to switch on/off auto iso. The quickest probably is to hold Fn key and left arrow few times.

BTW I ordered XF1 and it's going straight back. Raw quality is simply below any criticism. Looks like Fuji has managed to solve their auto focus issues though. It is extremely snappy, much quicker than X100 and NEX7. Shame for the picture quality.

I had a play with a X100S at Focus On Imaging. I liked the Q button which I thought was very useful and the autofocus seemed much quicker, especially considering the low light. Am I tempted to upgrade? Probably not at this stage as the X100 does everything I need for what I use it for.

Anyway, here's a few candids shot with the X100 on the day. All B&W JPEG in camera, ISO 1600 and edited in LR4:

Face by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Cross..?? by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Are you sure...?? by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Just Like That..... by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Just looked at these on Flikr Dave..........very nice mate! I don't think I'll be upgrading either, can't really see any point at the moment.

Saw a pic of David Beckham in todays Evening Standard using an x100 at a Fashion show!

Picked up the X100 today from Focus. After trying all the X series - well the xe1, x100s and x20 I opted for the good old x100.

To be honest I did not find a dramatic difference between the x100 and x100s in terms of AF and MF. I also use Aperture for my RAW files so again the x100 seemed the better choice- and oh yes it was less than half the price of the X!00s.

Will keep you updated...

Picked up my X100S on Friday, very pleased with the improvements (the link posted a couple of posts up sums it up very well). AF is much quicker although not the best I've used. Picture quality is awesome and this will be my camera at until its successor arrives :)

Picked up my X100S on Friday, very pleased with the improvements (the link posted a couple of posts up sums it up very well). AF is much quicker although not the best I've used. Picture quality is awesome and this will be my camera at until its successor arrives :)

How does the AF compare with other cameras you've used?

I'd be grateful for some feedback on focus distances on the X100S. For photographing my kids up close this is really important.

I've read a couple of articles (incl dpreview) now about how the normal focussing distance (before switching to macro) has been reduced to 21cm. However, on the Fuji site it states min distance is 50cm. I query this because with my x100 I can usually get 40-50cm already as the norm.

Any user feedback?

Thanks!

I too would like to know how close you can get to filling the frame without having to put it into macro mode.
That was a pain when shooting my kids with the x100, wanting to fill the frame with a head shot, having to put it in macro then having to take it out of macro for next shot, but forgetting to do so.

I'd be grateful for some feedback on focus distances on the X100S. For photographing my kids up close this is really important.

I've read a couple of articles (incl dpreview) now about how the normal focussing distance (before switching to macro) has been reduced to 21cm. However, on the Fuji site it states min distance is 50cm. I query this because with my x100 I can usually get 40-50cm already as the norm.

Any user feedback?

Thanks!

Certainly focuses closer before it needs to be in macro mode, 20-30cm seems right to me. The main difference I've found for taking photos of our 2 year old is the improved AF speed.

It's a shame the price difference is so big, the X100S cost me $1800NZ and I could get a great condition used X100 for $800NZ. Are the improvements worth $1000NZ? For me I'd say just about but that's mostly due to the AF improvements which frustrated me on the X100, for people using the camera for landscapes, static objects and even most street photography I'd look long and hard at getting an X100 first and see how much the AF matters to you. Worst case you'd lose $100 or so selling it later and aside from the AF you should get a great idea whether you'd like the X100S before opening your wallet.

Has anyone switched to an X100 from a DSLR? Im fed up of lugging all my kit around, and quite like the idea of an X100S to replace my DSLR for travel photography.

Has anyone switched to an X100 from a DSLR? Im fed up of lugging all my kit around, and quite like the idea of an X100S to replace my DSLR for travel photography.

I had the same thing in mind, judging from the fact that the IQ & ISO is way better than my current D300 and it's way lighter!

Can't wait to get mine this week to test it out.

Anyone knows any shop in London that has x100s on display to play with?

I think quite a few of us have. I sold my D300 and f2.8 lenses and bought an X100 and X10. Never looked back. Fantastic image quality and doesn't hurt your shoulder on a day out!
I suspect the X100s will be even better, I am just waiting till next month to buy one myself.
Allan

Back