Fuji x100

Hello! Just got myself an X100 to replace my DSLR setup as it was too much to carry. Loving it so far, so nice to use.

Does anyone have any case recommendations? I don't like the leather cases so looking for something more like a small padded pouch. It will be just for protection when I throw it into a larger bag with other stuff.

Would ideally hold the camera, spare battery and some sd cards. Really hard to see if it will fit into the ones I'm looking at online and there are no longer any camera stores in my town so can't even go try some out!

After being without my X100 for almost 3 months, I finally got myself a replacement.
Its almost the same, but with a little red s on the top :naughty:

I notice they have scrimped on the packaging, just a standard black box now and no Platinum service. Battery is on charge now, but the first few shots at iso 6400 seem pretty impressive so far..

Allan

Hello! Just got myself an X100 to replace my DSLR setup as it was too much to carry. Loving it so far, so nice to use.

Does anyone have any case recommendations? I don't like the leather cases so looking for something more like a small padded pouch. It will be just for protection when I throw it into a larger bag with other stuff.

Would ideally hold the camera, spare battery and some sd cards. Really hard to see if it will fit into the ones I'm looking at online and there are no longer any camera stores in my town so can't even go try some out!

Smallest pouch type would seem to be the black rapid snapr20, providing you dont have a filter on the front of the camera and even then it's quite a tight fit. It can take the camera with filter holder and uv but no space for a lens cap. Will also hold batteries and cards in the side pockets.

The next size up is the 35 which would appear to be able to take the camera with filter and cap but I've not tried it myself.

I just keep the X100 in an old Lowepro lens pouch in my bag, and carry it with me all the time.

I put a couple of spare batteries and memory cards in a very small Tupperware pot that just sits in the bottom of the bag.

This i bought, but ended up using a black rapid snapr 35 - holds the camera with filter plus lens cap, plus some side pockets for batteries and filters.

Taken on the way home from work. I've been waiting a few weeks to see a grey pony near these burnt out bushes...

After The Fire... by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Dave
Can I ask what settings you used to get that nice dark high contrast sky? I have recently bought Silver FX pro, shoot in RAW and used my X100 in mono mode with red filter but still don't seem to get that effect.

mountains-1065
I keep contemplating an X100 as a carry at all times camera and a complement to my X-E1. How easy is it to fit in a pocket and do you use it in that manner?
I carry it in my ski jacket when on the piste:) and even when I lug my dslr kit around it is still there in the background in case I need a quick shot or just want to venture out in lightweight mode. I often find I use it to catch snapshots of friends/family by having it with me at all times and these shots only increase in personal value with the passage of time. How often have we missed photo ops because we couldn't be bothered to carry a dslr out to supper or for that stroll during a break on a long car journey? As a general carry around when traveling it's better than most and you get used to the lack of a zoom, although I do find myself cropping quite a lot in post p. I think I have attached an example, we'll see:)

Last edited:
Dave
Can I ask what settings you used to get that nice dark high contrast sky? I have recently bought Silver FX pro, shoot in RAW and used my X100 in mono mode with red filter but still don't seem to get that effect.

Hi Mark, I just used a control point placed on the sky in silver efex pro, and adjusted the brightness down. The original image was shot in colour and converted to black and white using silver efex pro.

Last edited:
Well, after lusting over one since the pre-launch, I now have a used one!! Getting to grips with it... Love the look & feel, IQ is good, although there have been times when I have set shutter to 1/60 and it read 90 in the viewfinder?? Not often, just a couple of times.

Anyway, took it with me to London, didnt get a lot of time to use it but a couple...

8702214027_951e8434ac_z.jpg

8702214977_910f61d7a4_z.jpg

8702213237_771630556f_z.jpg

8702216635_8780089867_z.jpg

and then at the park
8703337792_afaa6784ac_z.jpg

Granted, its not as quick as the D700 but much better than a compact and fun to use.

Last edited:
Impressed I have to say with this camera! Biggest gripe is taking pics with lens cap on!!! Obviously on a DSLR you notice this, but shooting through the OVF is different!

Found that the jpgs are very good. A couple from today at Old Warden.

Hurricane
8707712527_076d7e0d05_z.jpg

Happy with this one - taken my by son who turned 5 last week. Ok, I did set up the iso/aperture/shutter, and did a small crop and sat/lum increase in LR, but not a bad pic!!
8707713235_7b6ae05b14_z.jpg

Received mine a few days ago, took it out yesterday and of course with it being me, the weather decided to be **** despite being really nice all week (and really hot) but no it was just grey. One thing I cant get used to is the focus lock? I dont really know how to do it, on my DSLR id just half press the shutter button and the move the camera where I want it and press the shutter down. Doesnt seem to work like that on this though!

8720870584_a81856af15_h.jpg

Received mine a few days ago, took it out yesterday and of course with it being me, the weather decided to be **** despite being really nice all week (and really hot) but no it was just grey. One thing I cant get used to is the focus lock? I dont really know how to do it, on my DSLR id just half press the shutter button and the move the camera where I want it and press the shutter down. Doesnt seem to work like that on this though!

Does for me!:)

If the focus is in AF-S then the focus should lock on half press.
If it's set to AF-C then it will not lock.

If the focus is in AF-S then the focus should lock on half press.
If it's set to AF-C then it will not lock.

Using manual focus - you can then focus using the rear focus button. This also means you dont have to select macro mode to close focus.

Using manual focus - you can then focus using the rear focus button. This also means you dont have to select macro mode to close focus.

That's the mode I used for the first month or so, but I feel it's slower than single focus. Just annoying when you get too close.

Really enjoying using this camera :) I managed to get the focusing sorted out, I think I just needed to get used to the shutter button but its all good now!

What sort of settings do people use? E.g. dynamic range %, sharpness, etc.

Brilliant. What processing did you do?

thank you
silver efex pro to convert and add border ,playing with the green and red channels to get the contrast how I wanted it .playing with the grain to try and get a moody(for want of a better word) feel to it,
that's it really no cropping
these are fantastic little cameras ,

thank you
silver efex pro to convert and add border ,playing with the green and red channels to get the contrast how I wanted it .playing with the grain to try and get a moody(for want of a better word) feel to it,
that's it really no cropping
these are fantastic little cameras ,

Well, congrats, you've done a great job.

Finally starting to get to grips with the X100. Just wish I could master taking it out of the bag without adjusting exposure compensation.

Take a look at the thumb rest. Stops the problem you mention and improves the handling. Just wish they were cheaper.

I really dont know what to do, ive only had the X100 a few weeks and I really love it but theres a few issues.

1). I got it because I didnt want to lug a DSLR around, my old DSLR wasnt big or heavy but I still had to bring a bag for it whenever I went anywhere which meant I would rarely take it out with me unless the sole idea was photography. The X100 is the same, I have a leather case which can go across my body but its still quite bulky and sticks out quite a bit, if I take it out of the case its a bit too big to fit into any of my jacket pockets; it fits but sticks out a bit too, it also doesnt offer much protection say if I brush past a wall or something.

2). I feel like the fixed focal length is limiting me somewhat, I always used an f1.8 35mm on my old SLR and loved it; the bokeh was great and gave really nice pictures. Seems like the Fuji lens isnt as good but is still great in its own unique way, bokeh is lacking somewhat though. The dynamic range and color depth are the two things which make me love this camera, which is strange because snapsort said my old SLR had better both but the colours never came out as nice as on the X100, it seems to give a unique look to all photos.

Sorry for the rant, basically those are the two things im disappointed with really and its not the cameras fault; its a fantastic camera, im just not sure if its for me or maybe I need some more time with it.

I went through the same phase that you seem to be at.

I got a black rapid case which although bulky it holds the camera with good on. And has space for batteries and filter. Our I just use the black rapid strap and carry a battery in my pocket.

I almost sold the camera a few weeks ago but I'm now glad I didn't. I've spent a few days going for walks with just the x100 enjoying it more each time.

Ultimately it may not be for you but it's worth persevering.

I took mine away on a trip last week and really struggled at first. As a nikon user for 10 years, the x100 interface just didn't feel intuitive at all. The focusing does take a while to get used to but i'm starting to see its positives and it really does make u think about composition a lot more.

I'm going to still with it for a while as i do think it will suit my style of photography.

Back