Fuji x100

Will check out the Lee7 kit,thanks,and Trev let us know how you get on with the converter,my friend might be selling his 27 and 50 so would appreciate your appraisal.
Yes love at 1st and 2nd sight for the original

Will do, the TCL might also be on my radar...

Excuse the iPhone snap....

14ina5k.jpg

Nope. Still got the Sony but I think I'll be moving it on.

I have been enjoying shooting with the D750 and 35mm f/2D for a lighter set-up for myself but was still interested in the RX100 M3 as my family camera. I would be interested to hear about your upgrade on using the X100T for times you don't want to lug around your Fuji and Nikon kit and capture your son? I still like the portability of the RX100 M3 but the IQ of even the X100/X100S does seem very good. Shame Fuji are so poor at video otherwise would have jumped on it ages ago.

I have been enjoying shooting with the D750 and 35mm f/2D for a lighter set-up for myself but was still interested in the RX100 M3 as my family camera. I would be interested to hear about your upgrade on using the X100T for times you don't want to lug around your Fuji and Nikon kit and capture your son? I still like the portability of the RX100 M3 but the IQ of even the X100/X100S does seem very good. Shame Fuji are so poor at video otherwise would have jumped on it ages ago.

Everything that irked me about the x100t has been resolved with a few modifications which make it a great documentary camera.

Originally I wasn't sold on handling but the addition of the thumb grip makes a massive difference. I also hated the lens cap thing so picked up the rectangle lens hood and use that. It helps that I love the retro look too!

The RX100 M3/4 are great little cameras but I just hated using it. It's tiny, feels like it could be damaged in a bag with other items and completely stripped away the enjoyment of using a camera. I know some people will say it's about IQ but for me I have to enjoy using the camera and the Sony just wasn't fun.... If the X100 series is anything it's bloody good fun! It helps that Fuji keep making it better with FW updates too.

what i love a out the Fuji is shes like a woman, you dont know how she'll be from one day to the next but when shes good shes magic

Loving the lens hood....come on...spill...
eBay jobby. Metal construction and cost me £23.

Bought it from a bloke called Ian (username: snappyone) and he did say he had a couple more kicking about in his spare room but I can't find them on eBay.

The photo doesn't do it justice tbf.

Everything that irked me about the x100t has been resolved with a few modifications which make it a great documentary camera.

Originally I wasn't sold on handling but the addition of the thumb grip makes a massive difference. I also hated the lens cap thing so picked up the rectangle lens hood and use that. It helps that I love the retro look too!

The RX100 M3/4 are great little cameras but I just hated using it. It's tiny, feels like it could be damaged in a bag with other items and completely stripped away the enjoyment of using a camera. I know some people will say it's about IQ but for me I have to enjoy using the camera and the Sony just wasn't fun.... If the X100 series is anything it's bloody good fun! It helps that Fuji keep making it better with FW updates too.

I find using the D750 easier than my dinky Fuji XF1 so understand where you are coming from. The RX100 M3/4 has lots of settings hidden beneath endless menus but for a snap and shoot for the family it may work even though I like the X100 series apart from their woeful video. The current budget only stretches as far as the X100S if didn't opt for the RX100.

Indeed it was back then but the V2 firmware really transformed the X100. Give it a try, it really ironed out most issues and rung as much performance as possible out of the hardware.

Some advice please!

I bought the original X100 back in 2011, and while I love the IQ, it rarely gets used because it was too sluggish in day to day use and always took second place to my 5D3.

Indeed it was back then but the V2 firmware really transformed the X100. Give it a try, it really ironed out most issues and rung as much performance as possible out of the hardware.

I put firmware 2.10 on a while back, but I never really gave the camera a chance I suppose - too jaded by the initial experiences, and I suppose it had already been 'replaced' by the DSLR at that stage. You could just say it was forgotten!

Inspired by the recent shots of yourself and others, I've vowed to give it another go while I decide what to do long term.

We did! Bought a pasty on the way to the beach on the last day. My Mother moved to Portreath ten years ago. She lives in one of the old houses on the right hand side as you drive in to Portreath from Bridge.

We saw a few people on Kayaks going out to Gull Rock and then amazingly they climbed to the top!

Love Portreath. Hope you stopped at the Bakers for a proper pasty.
My dad was a boy there, told me he used to swim out and around Gull Rock.

Last edited:
So...just taken delivery of knock off lens hood. Utterly underwhelmed. Colour nowhere near, terrible quality and fit.
Call me a gear snob, just ponied up for an original.

A couple of shots from the Marche region of Italy:

1. The view down from Podalla to Lake Fiastra in the Monte Sibillini Natonal Park. With any luck this might become the view from my new house
19885959894_0f789613d2_b.jpg

2. Evening light in the hills around Ripe San Ginesio in the Marche. This shot in no way does justice to just how striking this scene was
20321926949_20a93a6e07_b.jpg

What a beautiful place, and you're going to live there....no...not envious at all...

Thanks Trevor. There is a long way to go before we get to live there, but we are hoping to first rent and then buy the place. The house is in a tiny hamlet reached by a single track road from the main road that skirts the lake. We are hoping to use it as a holiday home for a bit of peace and quiet given we are in London the rest of the time.

some great shots there guys, the x-100 really is a special camera. I know its an overused expression but it really is a modern classic. I think Fuji nailed it

Very nice Ian. I think you've processed it right to the edge without going too far! Did you use Lightroom for sharpening?

One more from the Marche region of Italy (near Loro Piceno), two shot pano from x100 stitched in Lr with the processing pushed to (or perhaps past) the limits

20436330860_337e57d4b0_b.jpg

Very nice Ian. I think you've processed it right to the edge without going too far! Did you use Lightroom for sharpening?

I agree - tone mapping usually doesn't do it for me, but something in the combination of the image and processing really works for me. I like it!

Good, I am pleased I didn't push it too far as I usually get carried away a bit too much. This is all Lightroom and no HDR processing. Some grads to balance exposures and colour temperatures, a brush to boost the sunset colours, a slight vignette (I think) and the rest all basic adjustments. It looks a little tone mapped as I cut highlights and boost shadows as a first step and this can look dodgy if the balance isn't right, I've noticed.

Some great images it's reminded me to get my battery on charge nine just site in the cupboard and I think I need to get it out more looking back at some of these images :)

Some great images it's reminded me to get my battery on charge nine just site in the cupboard and I think I need to get it out more looking back at some of these images :)

You do. It's way too good to leave in the dark. Just shoot it..

Gutted my dads x100 which i inherited after he died has also died wont power up at all fuji want the camera sent back for a quote to repair. Sad day.

Gutted my dads x100 which i inherited after he died has also died wont power up at all fuji want the camera sent back for a quote to repair. Sad day.

Sad indeed, but you've gotta get it fixed.

I'm impressed with that set up Trevor @trevorbray , I must try and get out with my X100s a bit more. They really are superb little units.(y)

George.

I'm impressed with that set up Trevor @trevorbray , I must try and get out with my X100s a bit more. They really are superb little units.(y)

George.

Thanks George. Just waiting for a combination of free time and weather to give a thorough run out.

Back