Fuji x100

I've been debating buying an X100S for a while as a compact walk-around camera. It would only be for amateur use, casual travel photos etc. Is it still considered to be a decent camera, or are the later versions significantly better? I'm also wondering whether the original X100 would suffice, assuming the price is significantly lower.

The original X100 is "only" 12MP and whilst the images have a look that some people prefer over newer models, it really is a slow and somewhat quirky camera by today's standards.

The X100S is probably the sweet spot in terms of price/performance, it's 16MP and gives a decent boost to overall performance.

The X100T adds Classic Chrome film mode but aside from that it was a pretty underwhelming update in my opinion, if you can get one for near X100S money then go for it but don't pay too much more.

The X100F is the latest and bumps to 24MP, speeds things up again, adds ACROS film mode and the controls have changed to closely mirror the X-Pro2. It's the best but also the most expensive.

TLDR - Yes the X100S would be a great casual travel camera, don't buy the X100 without trying it first to see if you live with its quirks.

ive got a 100s im tempted to sell to move to the 100f - its the 24m and film modes that tempt me but not sure they are work what a 900 upgrade?? hum..

The original X100 is "only" 12MP and whilst the images have a look that some people prefer over newer models, it really is a slow and somewhat quirky camera by today's standards.

The X100S is probably the sweet spot in terms of price/performance, it's 16MP and gives a decent boost to overall performance.

The X100T adds Classic Chrome film mode but aside from that it was a pretty underwhelming update in my opinion, if you can get one for near X100S money then go for it but don't pay too much more.

The X100F is the latest and bumps to 24MP, speeds things up again, adds ACROS film mode and the controls have changed to closely mirror the X-Pro2. It's the best but also the most expensive.

TLDR - Yes the X100S would be a great casual travel camera, don't buy the X100 without trying it first to see if you live with its quirks.

Thank you Rich, that's very helpful. I don't make prints above A4 and they are often smaller, so I think 12MP would be more than enough. I'll have to see if I can find an X100 in a retailer as I've never handled one, only seen other people using them. I'm interested in your comment about the X100 perhaps having a different look to the newer models. Is this something obvious, or something that only shows itself under certain lighting etc?

The X100 sensor is traditional bayer colour filter array CMOS sensor, all later ones are Fuji's X-Trans sensor which uses a different pixel-pattern.

Personally, the X100 is the holy grail of a camera for me. I prefer the feel of the image to the same photo from 10-24mm at 23mm on X-E2. It is slightly softer, it is slightly more realistic to my eyes, colours are more true to life. Between all my cameras over the years, the X100 have taken more than half of all my photos and all of the photos on my wall are from this X100.

Yes, the autofocus is slow by today's standard, but still fast enough on latest firmware. The 2.0 firmware update bought it up to 5D mark 2 speed. Perhaps because I use it as my life's documentary camera, I don't do sports and I use AF-L when speed is needed, so I have adopted to its AF speed. (or you can say I never had a fast AF camera)

The X100F is very tempting. I've always wanted a joystick to change AF points, I really miss it from 5D2 DSLR days. Luckily X-E2 can be configured to use D pad, but my trusty X100 is missing this feature. The upgraded sensor is a bonus, allowing more crop during post-processing. T and F also adds hybrid viewfinder where a corner of OVF can be used to check focus, knowing Fuji's AF system, I feel this is a critical feature. So for me personally, T and F are well worth their price compared to S, which still has old X100 control scheme and only upgraded the sensor to something less pleasing to the eye.

But being a cheapskate, I'll continue to wait for the next one, so far changes are not worth the price of upgrade for me. (price as in money and loosing the X100 look)

Last edited:
The X100 sensor is traditional CMOS sensor, all later ones are Fuji's X-Trans sensor which uses a different pixel-pattern.

Personally, the X100 is the holy grail of a camera for me. I prefer the feel of the image to the same photo from 10-24mm at 23mm on X-E2. It is slightly softer, it is slightly more realistic to my eyes, colours are more true to life. Between all my cameras over the years, the X100 have taken more than half of all my photos and all of the photos on my wall are from this X100.

Yes, the autofocus is slow by today's standard, but still fast enough on latest firmware. The 2.0 firmware update bought it up to 5D mark 2 speed. Perhaps because I use it as my life's documentary camera, I don't do sports and I use AF-L when speed is needed, so I have adopted to its AF speed. (or you can say I never had a fast AF camera)

The X100F is very tempting. I've always wanted a joystick to change AF points, I really miss it from 5D2 DSLR days. Luckily X-E2 can be configured to use D pad, but my trusty X100 is missing this feature. The upgraded sensor is a bonus, allowing more crop during post-processing. T and F also adds hybrid viewfinder where a corner of OVF can be used to check focus, knowing Fuji's AF system, I feel this is a critical feature. So for me personally, T and F are well worth their price compared to S, which still has old X100 control scheme and only upgraded the sensor to something less pleasing to the eye.

But being a cheapskate, I'll continue to wait for the next one, so far changes are not worth the price of upgrade for me. (price as in money and loosing the X100 look)

Relatively slow focus doesn't bother me. I've used manual focus cameras for years and I rarely take a photo of anything that's moving about (or which I can't tell to stand still). Good image quality is more important to me and something which I'll enjoy using.

Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.

Funnily enough, right now I have an X100 and X100T. I love the x100 but was always curious to try an X100T so grabbed one a couple of weeks back when the refurb store had stock. Now that I've had a chance to use both a bit, I'm not convinced that I'm going to keep the X100T. It's true that it's miles quicker to use and carries fewer frustrations. It's also better in low light and has a nifty focus check overlaid EVF on the OVF. So on a rational level, it's a much better camera but I haven't quite fallen for the image output in the same way as I have for the X100. The X100 images look more appealing to me but I cannot honestly say why.

I will say this though, you have to really fall for the charm of the X100 because it's speed of operation and hit and miss AF system can drive you up the wall at times. I think whether you like it or not might depend a lot on what you shoot and how much you're relying on it. I have a DSLR for anything serious so my X100 is very much for fun or when travelling about so it works for me.

I think there are two potential issues with the all of the X100 series - firstly, they are not really compact and by the time you have fitted a filter adaptor and lenshood (or even worse, a WCL or TCL converter) there isn't much difference size-wise between it and something like an XT1/18-55 zoom - and the latter is a far more versatile set-up. Secondly, you either love or loathe the fixed 23mm lens - for me it is quite limiting.

I think there are two potential issues with the all of the X100 series - firstly, they are not really compact and by the time you have fitted a filter adaptor and lenshood (or even worse, a WCL or TCL converter) there isn't much difference size-wise between it and something like an XT1/18-55 zoom - and the latter is a far more versatile set-up. Secondly, you either love or loathe the fixed 23mm lens - for me it is quite limiting.

Definitely have a point with some of this but to play devil's advocate, it's interesting that when I was looking for a smaller camera for when travelling light, I think I'm right in saying that the X100 is still the smallest (maybe only) APSC compact that has an integral viewfinder. If the VF is must a must have, it's without equivalent. You'd need to look at something like the Panasonic LX100 or RX100 but their sensors are far smaller. The x100 is far from pocketable though. I guess you cannot have it all! For what it's worth, it's a heck of a lot more portable than my D810!

A couple of things that I do like about the X100 range vs the alternatives, the OVF/EVF set up is really good if you like using the OVF but like having the option and features of an EVF. That's a really neat feature and allows for a real back to basics shooting experience when the mood takes. I guess if you always use the EVF, you may as well get an XE2/s and your choice of lens but that brings me on to another advantage of the X100 for me. Because I cannot change the lens, I don't spend any time pondering lens options or end up carrying anything more than I need and that lens is really nice! I have a DSLR for all my GAS needs. The x100 has a leaf shutter which is a great feature under the right circumstances. I think the x100 is one of those cameras that is pure marmite. For some people, there is nothing else on the market to compete, for others, it's utterly hopeless. You pays your money....

The X100 is like a classic car, its not fast, its a little bit clunky, but you'll enjoy the ride

I started with an X100, and have 'progressed' through X-E1, X-E2, X-T1 to X-T2, but I can't sell the X100, its just a nice thing, and every now and then I give it a spin....

That's a great description. And regarding the fixed lens issue, I'm actually happier with one fixed lens. It suits the type of photography I like to do and it keeps things simple.

For anyone tempted by the X100F, it's 100 quid cheaper at Calumet compared to everywhere else. There's also a free leather case if you preorder (that seems to be available at any authorised dealer).

The Fuji full leather case, IMHO is the reason why it's so compact. I would never take my normal camera with me anywhere without one of my padded bag. But with the X100 inside its <n>ever-ready case, it goes in any odd bag/coat pocket.

The Fuji full leather case, IMHO is the reason why it's so compact. I would never take my normal camera with me anywhere without one of my padded bag. But with the X100 inside its <n>ever-ready case, it goes in any odd bag/coat pocket.

You beat me to it. I was about to ask whether the case is any good. A lot of sellers seem to be including one, so I assumed a lot were sold, hence they are a good purchase.

For anyone tempted by the X100F, it's 100 quid cheaper at Calumet compared to everywhere else. There's also a free leather case if you preorder (that seems to be available at any authorised dealer).
Not any more, apparently.........

Have any of you X100 owners much experience of using it with off camera flash?

I'm thinking of setting up the EF-X20 on a hot shoe extension bar, connected via a Canon extension cord, so i can get TTL if i need it.

Cheers

Dave, has the love affair ended ?

Only sort of!

I found I was not using my x-e2 at all which seemed a waste and was also missing a true wide angle option. My friend who I bought the x100t from had sellers remorse and fancied having it back. He had got himself an x70 so we did a deal and I got myself a wide angle converter for the x70.

Image quality is on a par with the x100 I think, not as nice to use but I can fit it in my pocket as long as the wide angle converter isn't on it!

Only sort of!

I found I was not using my x-e2 at all which seemed a waste and was also missing a true wide angle option. My friend who I bought the x100t from had sellers remorse and fancied having it back. He had got himself an x70 so we did a deal and I got myself a wide angle converter for the x70.

Image quality is on a par with the x100 I think, not as nice to use but I can fit it in my pocket as long as the wide angle converter isn't on it!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Been thinking a lot about upgrading to the F. But I've been looking over the pictures from my X100 classic. Too close to call...

Don't do it! Just cleaned mine still looks good as new.

Never any fear of outing my classic. May pick up another just to wear the WCL. I've been eyeing up one in the Classifieds...

Perhaps an F for the Acros film simulation. I've shot a lot of Acros film.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before!
I was just wondering what do people this of the hybrid viewfinder in the X100 vs the electronic viewfinder in the X-T1??

I'm so tempted by Fuji camers, especially the fixed 35mm equiv. f2 models.

Does anyone have any examples of portraits shot with an X100T or X100S to show what kind of shallow depth of field is possible with these cameras?

I'm coming from a D750 full frame camera, so trying to find the best (and most cost-effective) travel-friendly alternative that can still deliver some nice shallow dof (full frame fixed
lens cameras are out of my price range).

Anyone done the touch and try days Fuji have been running for the X100F?

I went to one on Monday in Dursley, Flos for a play with one for an hour or so. Have to say the F is very impressive, great upgrade to the T - like a mini X-Pro2!

The X100F looks like an amazing little camera, I love the controls and style. Unfortunately the F is out of my price range, so I'm considering trying a T first..

Anyone done the touch and try days Fuji have been running for the X100F?

I went to one on Monday in Dursley, Flos for a play with one for an hour or so. Have to say the F is very impressive, great upgrade to the T - like a mini X-Pro2!
I was meant to be on one in Manchester this Saturday but full of a cold so I cancelled to give someone else the opportunity. I was thinking of upgrading from the T to the F but I love my T and the cost difference is just too much. Decided instead to purchase the X-T20 and keep the T.

Pre ordered the F. Thinking of trading my Classic.
It'll be difficult to let it go, but I've got to decide on one or the other.

Back