Fuji x100

The only gripe I have with the software is the fact that the ISO settting is stored independently for each mode setting.....can't say there's anything else that particularly bothers me.

Hi Laudrup
Manual focus is fine on still subjects but I take alot of pics of little people and they won't keep still while I manually focus.
I'm a bit gutted I bought it so soon wish I'd waited for the better version now cos I will probably struggle to sell it

Hi Laudrup
Manual focus is fine on still subjects but I take alot of pics of little people and they won't keep still while I manually focus.
I'm a bit gutted I bought it so soon wish I'd waited for the better version now cos I will probably struggle to sell it

I was really close to buying this camera but one of my most frequent subjects is rapidly moving little people (my 2 year old twins). I really appreciate you sharing your experience as you may have saved me from making a mistake by buying the X100 - believe me i was really close.

I hope the firmware update resolves this issue for your. If it does please do let me know. If it doesn't then it should be easy to sell the camera right? I mean it seems to be in demand and is sold out all over the place in the UK. Can you part exchange it in the shop for another camera perhaps?

The AF isn't any better or worse than most contrast-detect AF systems out there, AF speed in decent light is the same as my G1 + 20mm, if not a tiny bit faster as the AF motor feels a little quicker, could be imagining it though.

I can't see you struggling to sell it, second hand prices will hold high until a MK2 appears.

Spent 30 mins playing with it in a store today. It was yummy to hold. Still, the fear of what my wife would say stopped me buying. It would he lovely as something I could chuck in to my laptop bag and take on my travels as I visit customers around the City...

Firmware update released now.

1. 1/3 stop adjustments now available in all modes.
2. Red Eye Removal can be disabled when shooting RAW.
3. You can get into the "FN" assignment menu by holding down the "FN" button for 3 secs.
4. Exiting sleep mode now by pressing the shutter button, no longer required to hold halfway for a few sec.
5. Size of AF Area is maintained even after switching between OVF / EVF / LCD.
6. Holding down menu/ok button for 3s will lock outer function of the command dial (directional pad), Drive / Flash / WB / Macro.
7. When "Eye Sensor" mode is enabled via "View mode" button, notice will appear briefly on the LCD indicating "Eye Sensor".
8. (Macro/ISO/Drive/DR/Self-timer/Flash) Modes, Settings maintained even with change of exposure mode/camera(off/on)/playback.
9. With ISO Auto Controls set to ON, actual ISO sensitivity will be displayed on half-press of the shutter.
10. When switching between shooting/playback mode, last viewed photo will be remembered unless a new photo is taken.
11. Corrected AF Frame option now available in setup. Displays additional AF frame to reduce parallax for close up shots via OVF.
12. Focus zoom using command level now possible in the post-view mode when "Image Disp" set to continuous (LCD/EVF).
13. When image ratio is set to 16:9, correct 16:9 frame lines will now appear in OVF.
14. IQ improved in Velvia/Astia mode (shadow tone) when DR is set to 200% / 400%

Mine arrived and I am very happy with it. Sold my DSLR equipment and decided to get something small, light which still gives DSLR quality images and I am not disappointing. I agree its shortcoming might be fixed lens but to be honest I hardly ever shoot anything in the telephoto range so I don't mind taking a few steps back or forward to get closer or further away from my subject. One thing that is nagging me, on my D700 I could easily change between auto focus shooting where it select the point of focus or turn the rear dial to select the focus point. I can only change this feature through the menus of the X100, anyway to do it on the fly? I know u can assign it to the fn button but I have assigned that to ISO.

Mine arrived and I am very happy with it. Sold my DSLR equipment and decided to get something small, light which still gives DSLR quality images and I am not disappointing. I agree its shortcoming might be fixed lens but to be honest I hardly ever shoot anything in the telephoto range so I don't mind taking a few steps back or forward to get closer or further away from my subject. One thing that is nagging me, on my D700 I could easily change between auto focus shooting where it select the point of focus or turn the rear dial to select the focus point. I can only change this feature through the menus of the X100, anyway to do it on the fly? I know u can assign it to the fn button but I have assigned that to ISO.

Maybe I misunderstood but it you're trying to move the AF point don't you just hold down the AF Button (3rd on left) and move the point with the dpad/jog wheel.

I've had mine for a few days now so I figured I'd start up a thread for all the x100 owners on TP to shoot the breeze, share information and quirks about the camera and more importantly post our images.

I'll keep this initial post updated with links:

Useful Links

Flickr : x100 Group - 25/08/2011
Flickr : x100 Enthusiasts Group - 25/08/2011
DPReview : Fuji x100 - 25/08/2011

Interesting & Inspirational Links

Neil Luxford : x100 Wedding Photography - 25/08/2011
Bob Davies : x100 Wedding Photography - 25/08/2011

A little bump to see if anyone else has taken the plunge yet? I'd decided a while ago to go for a 35 1.4 instead, which now permanently resides on one of the D700s. I don't regret it for a second but this is now nagging away at me again as it really is time I got a compact and I love the focal length.

I am flying out of Heathrow T5 in a couple of weeks. If they have them in stock I will buy one... BTW does the leather case still work if you have the lens hood on? The accessories are crazy expensive...

dubcat said:
I am flying out of Heathrow T5 in a couple of weeks. If they have them in stock I will buy one... BTW does the leather case still work if you have the lens hood on? The accessories are crazy expensive...

Phoned them today. They had some come in and have reserved one for me :) Now, to explain this need to the mrs.

I never found airport duty free stuff that much cheaper, it's certainly not 20% off.

Raymond Lin said:
I never found airport duty free stuff that much cheaper, it's certainly not 20% off.

You are right. It is nowhere near 20% cheaper than Internet. However it is a bit, £833.32. Also they have a 90 day (don't quote me on that) no quibble return policy because you are buying inside the airport but you can get even better that at John Lewis. Still it is a small saving.

I have started another thread so I don't corrupt this one.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=350688

Phoned them today. They had some come in and have reserved one for me :) Now, to explain this need to the mrs.

No, you can't use the case with the lens hood attached. It's a little annoying, but it's usually either/or. Either the lens hood is on and the camera is around my neck, or the case is on and the camera is in a bag.

I would really recommend the case at least, it's very good quality and looks great. The hood I could live without.

I currently own a Panasonic GF1, with both the 20mm and 14-45mm lenses and the EVF. Although I'm very happy with the GF1, having read the reviews, I'm very tempted by the X100. I rarely (if ever) use the 14-45mm lens, so the lack of interchangeable lens on the X100 doesn't bother me. Has anyone followed the same (GF1 to X100) path? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks...

I currently own a Panasonic GF1, with both the 20mm and 14-45mm lenses and the EVF. Although I'm very happy with the GF1, having read the reviews, I'm very tempted by the X100. I rarely (if ever) use the 14-45mm lens, so the lack of interchangeable lens on the X100 doesn't bother me. Has anyone followed the same (GF1 to X100) path? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks...

Why not wait and see what happens here http://www.eoshd.com/content/4168/high-end-panasonic-mirrorless-will-be-gfx1

There's always something more exciting in the future :)

Thanks for the link.

I understood that one of the main reasons the X100 produces such great images was the the fact that the sensor/lens were matched (in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise).

The lack of interchangeable lenses in the current version doesn't bother me; my experience with the GF1/20mm leads me to believe I'd be quite happy with just the one lens.

One of the main reasons I'm thinking about an X100 is the sensor and resultant improvement in image quality, especially at higher ISO settings (I like to use available light wherever possible).

Any additional thoughts/advice would be most welcome...

How are the x100 owners getting on with this camera, hopefully better than I did?

I'm thinking I may have jumped too quickly.

Not wanting to upset any owners and not tried one myself but I was watching a Kelby show on the net the other day and THIS is what they thought about it.

As a side note I love my fuji bridge cameras.....(y)

I'm still using mine regularly. My only gripe is the AF performance in low light....it locks onto the highest contrast in the scene, which isn't always someone's face!

It's basically useless as a point and shoot in anything but perfect lighting conditions. I've got used to it now and I can get it to lock on and take great available light shots at night. Other people take it and try to take snaps and think it's rubbish.

Then the next day they see all the sharp, natural light shots with great colour, which blow away all their P&S snaps which the flash has washed out, and change their mind :)

Despite it's flaws, I still love it. The camera that makes we want to sell it has to have :

1) A hybrid viewfinder
2) At least APS-C, preferably full frame sensor
3) Improved high ISO performance
4) 20+ MP or interchangeable lenses (i.e. cropping power or reach)
5) An equally good looking body

The Nex-7 is close for sure,but not quite!

Chris, that was basically my experience of it, the slow AF and the viewfinder being my only gripes. However I'm beginning to think I jumped too quickly (I'm a tad impatient :LOL:) because the pictures people are getting out of this are nothing short of amazing.

I knew at the time that IQ and ISO performance were beyond good but I let the niggles get to me.

On a side note does anyone have a link to the official word from Fuji over the sticky aperture blades? I've searched but can't find anything. Some people at preview are saving Fuji has confirmed it will repair these even out of warranty as a defect????

Not wanting to upset any owners and not tried one myself but I was watching a Kelby show on the net the other day and THIS is what they thought about it.

As a side note I love my fuji bridge cameras.....(y)

The X100 bit starts at 53:20 and is a rather interesting watch ;)

Just ordered another x100..... really hope I don't regret it.

Should be with me tomorrow so I'm officially a happy chappy.

I've read and watched lots of reviews. The vast majority have been positive. A few have been negative. In the end, you have to accept that nothing is perfect and, anyway, no manufacturer can please everyone. So, having weighed up the pros (many) and cons (few) I've now ordered one...

The eagle has landed....

Oh I forgot how good this thing feels in the hand, all that precision engineered metal :banana:

Was so tempted to pick one of these up but after reading about the blade problem I think I'll look elsewhere.

Was so tempted to pick one of these up but after reading about the blade problem I think I'll look elsewhere.

I don't really get that logic.

Fuji have accepted there is an issue and will repair it at no cost to you within 3 days (from what others are saying). I don't see it as a big issue at all. Other manufacturers have these issues on occasion, it's how they deal with it that counts and I've read nothing but good reports about Fuji's handling of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to move to a more photojournalistic approach with my photography (the x100 being a perfect match for this style) so here is a snap from last nights photography meeting:

2011-10-17_dscf0046_edited_web_800px.jpg

ISO 3200 // f2.0 // 80th sec

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get that logic.

Fuji have accepted there is an issue and will repair it at no cost to you within 3 days (from what others are saying). I don't see it as a big issue at all. Other manufacturers have these issues on occasion, it's how they deal with it that counts and I've read nothing but good reports about Fuji's handling of the problem.

Yeah your probably right.
If they update the firmware to support manual focus in video I'll be all over one like a tramp on chips.

Back