Fuji x100

Thanks. I've actually looked at them before but I'm hoping I can overcome the problem without spending more.
I bought some 10mm x 1.5mm black rubber O-rings off eBay for a couple of quid. I popped one over the exposure compensation dial and pushed it down to the top plate. It provides just enough friction to stop accidental turning of the dial and is pretty much invisible.

Last edited:
Got my mittens on an X100 today, should be here early next week. Owning the X-E1 already should it just be a case of jumping straight in, or are there any books/guides/sites worth a good read?

Has anyone had problems with the blades sticking? Ive been reading up on the camera and people are talking as if it has happened a lot.

I think it was the early models that were affected, don't think its particularly common and i beleive that fuji fixed a lot under warrenty.

Has anyone had problems with the blades sticking? Ive been reading up on the camera and people are talking as if it has happened a lot.

I think the X100 gets a lot of stick in some reviews for things like this and especially the AF, I think its a shame really because had I not known anyone who owned one (or used one before) I definitely wouldntve bought one and I think it puts a lot of people off. The sticky aperture blades were replaced by Fuji under the warranty and if you managed to get hold of old stock today and it had the issue they would replace it too.
Of course if you bought a recent model then the issue wouldnt be there as they managed to fix it on production quite early on I believe.
Its a shame Fujis customer service sucks though, I emailed them almost a week and a half ago and still no reply.

I think the X100 gets a lot of stick in some reviews for things like this and especially the AF, I think its a shame really because had I not known anyone who owned one (or used one before) I definitely wouldntve bought one and I think it puts a lot of people off. The sticky aperture blades were replaced by Fuji under the warranty and if you managed to get hold of old stock today and it had the issue they would replace it too.
Of course if you bought a recent model then the issue wouldnt be there as they managed to fix it on production quite early on I believe.
Its a shame Fujis customer service sucks though, I emailed them almost a week and a half ago and still no reply.

When I was reading about the camera it seemed exactly what I was looking for and loved the retro look. I was searching for the best price and about to buy one but the blades issue just took all the wind out my sails. I would have to go with a 2nd hand one and I just don't feel like I can take the risk, real shame.

When I was reading about the camera it seemed exactly what I was looking for and loved the retro look. I was searching for the best price and about to buy one but the blades issue just took all the wind out my sails. I would have to go with a 2nd hand one and I just don't feel like I can take the risk, real shame.

If you are looking to buy one used ask if you can see the serial number or at least the first 2 numbers of it. Apparently the problems were with serial numbers beginning with 12, 13 and 14, and it had all gone away by 21 (I believe the first number is the year and the second number is the quarter of the year). If the serial number starts with 21 youll be all good, anything before id stay away from (unless Fuji have already serviced it).

Maybe check with Fuji, but I bought a used x100 on eBay that clearly had the sticky blades problem. Fuji UK turned it round in four days with a new lens assembly, no questions asked even though I told them I got it used. So many people know about the issue that I think any iffy ones got fixed. The story I heard was that it was a batch that came out in a narrow window around the earthquake/tsunami time in Japan when they understandaby had problems in the factory. New ones seem fine (and you can use the serial numbers to get the production date and avoid the peak problem period). Have a look at Fuji's own refurb site if you want more peace of mind. The camera is great (just not my ideal focal length).

Edit - slow typist obviously. Thrash gives you all you need to know

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll have a serious think about which road to go, thanks again.

This cam is on sale right now on amazon, in case anyone's interested in getting one. £679

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fi...UTF8&qid=1370878311&sr=8-1&keywords=Fuji+x100

Thought on it myself, but going to go for the new Ricoh I think. Still a bit undecided. Some nice pics in here.

This is the black LE. Now at £672. I bought at £709 so keep a track on pricing. I doubt there's many left although Fuji UK had two a week or so ago.

Or wait for the X100s to be widely available, but the black LE will be a year at least. And at what price?

Well I took the plunge and ordered an x100 earlier today. It will arrive tomorrow so don't have long to wait. Ive loved some of the shots you guys have shown and Im crossing my fingers it will be everything I hope it to be. Excited & nervous :)
Some really nice wedding pics rrfierce, Im going to one soon so hopefully I'll take the camera along as well and see what it can do.

Well I took the plunge and ordered an x100 earlier today. It will arrive tomorrow so don't have long to wait. Ive loved some of the shots you guys have shown and Im crossing my fingers it will be everything I hope it to be. Excited & nervous :)
Some really nice wedding pics rrfierce, Im going to one soon so hopefully I'll take the camera along as well and see what it can do.

It really is a great camera, you wont be disappointed or at least I know I wasnt! :)
Will you be using it alongside a DSLR?

The best thing about the X100 has to be the fact that you can get DSLR image quality and blend into the background getting some really candid shots. If you were carrying a big body and lens round then i don't think people would be as receptive. I found it a bit annoying when other people took some photos, as 99% of them were blurry.

12800 ISO is probably not far off comparable with 1600 ISO on my old D90.

I took a few videos at the wedding but found them going OOF very easily. Can you use the focus lock button when filming?

Just got it, had a quick play and now the battery is on charging. I did find it strange that the aperture keeps adjusting to the light even when set on a particular f-stop, don't think Ive seen one do that before. Also the reviews talked as if it were silent but when its focusing my partner could clearly hear it across the room. Neither bother me just didn't expect that.
Anyway, so far it seems really nice, simple to use and looks great. I might go out later for a walk and test it out. I'll need to pick up a case for it as well to complete the retro look lol
Thrash I was using a Nikon D300 but sadly had to sell it due to money issues a couple months back. So this will be my one and only for a while. To be honest though I hardly ever took my 30mm of my D300 because I like doing street photography so Im hoping I wont need a DSLR for a while.

Just got it, had a quick play and now the battery is on charging. I did find it strange that the aperture keeps adjusting to the light even when set on a particular f-stop, don't think Ive seen one do that before. Also the reviews talked as if it were silent but when its focusing my partner could clearly hear it across the room. Neither bother me just didn't expect that.
Anyway, so far it seems really nice, simple to use and looks great. I might go out later for a walk and test it out. I'll need to pick up a case for it as well to complete the retro look lol
Thrash I was using a Nikon D300 but sadly had to sell it due to money issues a couple months back. So this will be my one and only for a while. To be honest though I hardly ever took my 30mm of my D300 because I like doing street photography so Im hoping I wont need a DSLR for a while.

What do you mean by it keeps adjusting to the light? If I set the aperture on the ring on mine it just stays the same unless I use the back wheel thing to change it slightly.
Yeah you probably wont depending on what you shoot, I sold my DSLR to get the X100 because I never used any other lens apart from a 35mm f1.8 as I love the focal length. Sometimes I do miss the DSLR for wide angle or zoom occasionally which is why I picked up a cheap Micro 4/3 with kit zoom but never used it so ended up selling it too.

If Im not pressing the shutter and have it on say f5 and move the camera around from lighter to darker areas the aperture ring opens and closes depending on the light its facing. So if I point it at a brighter area the ring closes more and restricts the light and in dark it opens up without me telling it to. When I half press the shutter it goes to whatever I set as an f-stop but when your not pressing it changes according to the light its in.
When I bought it from MPB I asked 1st what was the serial number and she said she didn't have the info on her screen and could tell me. When it arrived today the number begins with 13, so its an early one sadly. It doesn't seem to be having any problems though and I bought it used so Im hoping that if it did have an issue that its been fixed already.

Last edited:
I got my X100 today, for the first time of any camera I've owned there are no settings on the diopter that give me a non-blurry view, does it have less adjustment than other cameras?

I've owned a lot recently, D90, 5D, Panny G5, OM-D, Sony a77, X-E1...all fine for my eyes. Very strange, not something I've really considered before.

I got my X100 today, for the first time of any camera I've owned there are no settings on the diopter that give me a non-blurry view, does it have less adjustment than other cameras?

I've owned a lot recently, D90, 5D, Panny G5, OM-D, Sony a77, X-E1...all fine for my eyes. Very strange, not something I've really considered before.

For what it's worth, it was fine when I was using it and didn't need any adjustment. I did find this link which suggests it does have a more restricted range than you might expect:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f53/x100-diopter-adjuster-4264/

Doesn't look like Im going to get out to try the camera today. Its been on charge for over 4 hours now and still not done and its starting to get dark, shame. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

For what it's worth, it was fine when I was using it and didn't need any adjustment. I did find this link which suggests it does have a more restricted range than you might expect:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f53/x100-diopter-adjuster-4264/

Yep I wasn't questioning this specific camera (which is lovely, by the way!), more so the X100 generally, reading that thread it does seem as though it has a very restricted adjustment band.

I can see the rear screen perfectly!

The diopter only adjusts to -2 which is the same as entry level dslrs - one of the reasons I upgraded from my Nikon D40.

I just squint a bit with the x100!

Is it normal for the battery to take so long to charge? I just asked my girlfriend to be sure and it been like 7 hours now and the light is still on green. Never known one take so long and considering you only get about 300 shots that just seems crazy.

Is it normal for the battery to take so long to charge? I just asked my girlfriend to be sure and it been like 7 hours now and the light is still on green. Never known one take so long and considering you only get about 300 shots that just seems crazy.

Mine only takes a few hours!

Mine only takes a few hours!

I put mine on to charge around 3pm and its still not done yet. The green light is on so its working but never known one take so long. I only have one battery at the minute so I can see this being an annoying issue until I get more.

Finally got out and took some pictures :) just a couple test shots in front of my house and mainly playing with the panorama lol Here's one of my first shots with it.

Back