Fuji x100

Here's one for just over £2: http://www.amazon.co.uk/52mm-49mm-52mm-Black-Adapter-Camera/dp/B008WYFVZA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371906432&sr=8-4&keywords=49+to+52mm+adapter

When you unscrew the ring on the lens casing it's definitely 49mm, I have the Raynox 150 here and cannot use it until the adapter to convert up to 52mm arrives. That's the minimum the Raynox will clip onto.
Interesting... I'd thought about a step down ring but assumed that means the 52mm filter would mount backwards, and I'm pretty sure my CPL doesn't have a thread on the outside....

It does, just give the front ring, just in front of the MF ring, a turn, don't worry, you can't break anything :) This is where any adapters of the Fuji wide angle lens go.

That one is a step up, it'll change the front ring/thread around the lens from 49 to 52mm

It does, just give the front ring, just in front of the MF ring, a turn, don't worry, you can't break anything :) This is where any adapters of the Fuji wide angle lens go.

That one is a step up, it'll change the front ring/thread around the lens from 49 to 52mm
Confused.com! I've already got the thread cover ring off and mounted the protector that came the black edition kit... Backwards! As in what I consider to be the outside of the filter is the part that screws onto the camera, rather than the inside of the filter as normal... From what I can see the lens has a 49mm male thread as opposed to any other lens I've used which always has a female thread. I could be missing something massively obvious tho!

Ah right ok, thought you meant you didn't think yours had a thread.

Well, with a 49-52 adapter, you just thread that on there to make the lens filter thread now 52, not 49, and any filters 52mm will fit on. The back thread of the filter, say, will screw on 49mm, and the thread to the front of it will be 52mm

Ah right ok, thought you meant you didn't think yours had a thread.

Well, with a 49-52 adapter, you just thread that on there to make the lens filter thread now 52, not 49, and any filters 52mm will fit on. The back thread of the filter, say, will screw on 49mm, and the thread to the front of it will be 52mm
Will give it a bash... I've only ever used step up rings so have no experience of step down. My worry is that the 52mm thread on the ring will be male as opposed to female, as I said before I find the standard male 49mm thread on the X100 to be highly counter-intuitive!

Will give it a bash... I've only ever used step up rings so have no experience of step down. My worry is that the 52mm thread on the ring will be male as opposed to female, as I said before I find the standard male 49mm thread on the X100 to be highly counter-intuitive!

Just a wee update; my step up ring arrived and it was indeed the wrong type :/ Booooo! The 49mm thread is male, where it should be female. Bugger. No use to me. I'll have to be more careful when ordering the next one.

Oh well, at least the Raynox fits nicely on my 85mm 1.8 for the dslr. Does a good close up job too, but I really wanted to use it for the fuji, I have a proper macro lens already.

If I had passed you I would have noticed the bag, same as mine!

The weather was interesting during our fortnight......

Just a wee update; my step up ring arrived and it was indeed the wrong type :/ Booooo! The 49mm thread is male, where it should be female. Bugger. No use to me. I'll have to be more careful when ordering the next one.

Oh well, at least the Raynox fits nicely on my 85mm 1.8 for the dslr. Does a good close up job too, but I really wanted to use it for the fuji, I have a proper macro lens already.
Well I solved my woes, there was an adaptor in the box of my black special edition that converts it from 49mm male to 49mm female :bonk: So now all I need to get is a 49mm to 52mm stepping ring and I'll be laughing. I believe this aftermarket part will do the same thing, then you'll be on the same boat as me and can mount your raynox (y) The official Fuji part is £60 :wacky:

Last edited:
Just getting used to my x100 and loving it! I have a question though. What price do I pay for using high DR value? Seems much better with it set at 400 as white clouds don't get blown out. Just wondering if image quality suffers in any way?

Just getting used to my x100 and loving it! I have a question though. What price do I pay for using high DR value? Seems much better with it set at 400 as white clouds don't get blown out. Just wondering if image quality suffers in any way?

Good question. I also wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that.

Craig, if you are happy with images then the answer is that you are not paying a price.

As I understand it the way the fuji works to extend the dynamic range is basically to underexpose the whole image to retain highlights and then boost the shadows in camera. In theory this could result in noisier shadow detail. But as said if you are happy with the images then don''t worry about it

Of course my understanding could be completely wrong.

Every time I go out and use this camera I love it more. Here is a couple shots I took, one in harsh light the other a long exposure around midnight.

Well I solved my woes, there was an adaptor in the box of my black special edition that converts it from 49mm male to 49mm female :bonk: So now all I need to get is a 49mm to 52mm stepping ring and I'll be laughing. I believe this aftermarket part will do the same thing, then you'll be on the same boat as me and can mount your raynox (y) The official Fuji part is £60 :wacky:

Cool, will add that to my basket on amazon. Got a few bits on there awaiting check out

Looking at buying a "around 2 years" old x100.

What's the the serial numbers that might have sticky aperture blades problem?

Seller says never experienced it, so is it safe?

I would rather buy one which already developed the problem, and has had it fixed than one with an early serial which hasn't developed it.

I think it was the 12, 13 and some 14 starting numbers that were more problematic... if it's a 21 or later I think it should be ok

Mine is an early model and so far its been perfect. I got it second hand so maybe it had been fixed already but as long as it stays as is I'll be happy.

Mine an early serial number but was a refurbished one so I'm guessing it has been fixed. Are there any signs to look for? I guess the blades stay shut so you get underexposed images. Would you see this through the electronic view finder as you change the aperture from f16. Ie would it stay dark? No sign of any problems here though..

Mine an early serial number but was a refurbished one so I'm guessing it has been fixed. Are there any signs to look for? I guess the blades stay shut so you get underexposed images. Would you see this through the electronic view finder as you change the aperture from f16. Ie would it stay dark? No sign of any problems here though..

Sticky aperture syndrome usually means the shutter won't stop down. So you'll get overexposure.

Thanks all. Got my shiny x100.

Fantastic camera, no problems with AF speed as far as I can see. Live-view/EVF does AF better at close range, but at normal range, it's quite fast.

Although a small problem is that in OVF, it's not clear where it has achieved focus, the AF square doesn't resize, so having smaller AF box is actually counter productive when shooting at F2.

What is the setting out of hundreds to disable live-view screen, then use the LCD screen for 1.5s instant playback? (eg like a normal DSLR). I would like to quickly glance at the LCD after shooting, but don't need want to be interrupted when I've got my eyes in the OVF framing the next shot. Currently seems to be either instant playback in EVF or must have the LCD on wasting power.

Also, my god it's quiet! Coming from the clunk of 5D mark 2, at first I thought the shutter is broken, but photos came out correct. The click can be faintly heard in a very very quiet room.

I'm having a few issues with taking photos of my kids and moving objects. Its great when they are still and i'm really happy with the IQ, but when they start moving about everything is OOF and the delay from it focusing to taking the photos is quite a long time compared with a DSLR.

Is the X100S any better?

I'm having a few issues with taking photos of my kids and moving objects. Its great when they are still and i'm really happy with the IQ, but when they start moving about everything is OOF and the delay from it focusing to taking the photos is quite a long time compared with a DSLR.

Is the X100S any better?

I have found that. The AF doesnt keep up and I had a lot of pics fit for the bin at weekend. We were walking in the woods, so not too light, think 800 iso, 1/60 and f4 and a lot of pics were oof (static). As soon as I used flash or it got brighter all fine.

Normally select focus point myself as the auto one is pants unless i am missing something? Never detects a face!

Have I got a good deal here?

Went to John Lewis today to play around with an OM-D. Saw their clearance shelf (some lovely, lovely cameras!) and spotted an X100.

Price said £500. I told the girl I would give her £450, she said that sounded reasonable and she wanted it to go to a good home. Deal done.

So, £450, brand new from JL with a full warranty.

Have I got a good deal here?

Went to John Lewis today to play around with an OM-D. Saw their clearance shelf (some lovely, lovely cameras!) and spotted an X100.

Price said £500. I told the girl I would give her £450, she said that sounded reasonable and she wanted it to go to a good home. Deal done.

So, £450, brand new from JL with a full warranty.

Sounds like a good deal for a brand new camera. I would do a shutter count just to make sure.

Brand new, only used the last few weeks in the store when people have tried it, just getting rid of it as they had X100s in. I was shocked I could barter!!

Sounds like a good summer deal. It's good that shops are prepared to haggle a bit, makes you want to go back. We just went to Currys to buy 3 laptops. They refused to move on the price saying the supplier wouldn't let the store sell them any cheaper ! We walked out. If they had knocked some off they would have had a quick sale. Their loss.
Allan

First impressions on getting RAW files in to Aperture - omg this thing is sharp. Focus whilst slower than my D300, is pin point accurate. I am going to try shooting in JPG and see what sort of files it puts out. I am always keen to see what a camera can do processing images, save me doing it!

Anyway few presets in Aperture applied.

x100.jpg

DSCF5091%20(1).jpg

DSCF5091%20(2).jpg

First impressions on getting RAW files in to Aperture - omg this thing is sharp. Focus whilst slower than my D300, is pin point accurate. I am going to try shooting in JPG and see what sort of files it puts out. I am always keen to see what a camera can do processing images, save me doing it!

Anyway few presets in Aperture applied.

I only ever shoot jpeg with mine. Seriously good output, and yeah it's sharp. Plenty sharp enough wide open.

Been out today again with it, mixed conditions - lots of light changes, moving water, macros, landscapes, people. I am BLOWN AWAY by this thing.

Another weekend, even more love for my little Fuji. I've never considered black and white before, but for some reason since getting the X100 a lot of stuff just seems to suit B&W, weird as I love the colour output!

ND filter mode, wide open, Auto ISO 3200, I don't think I've moved away from those few simple settings...

Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another weekend, even more love for my little Fuji. I've never considered black and white before, but for some reason since getting the X100 a lot of stuff just seems to suit B&W, weird as I love the colour output!

ND filter mode, wide open, Auto ISO 3200, I don't think I've moved away from those few simple settings...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/9269388719/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/9269391967/

Did you have it in ND mode to get noisier photos for the B&W on purpose? I only ask because it seems strange (to me) to boost the ISO amd have ND on rather than turn ND off and lower the ISO.

Great photos by the way.

Loving my new toy :D

Used it quite a lot over the weekend, Duxford airshow and then Thai restaurant on Saturday. Here are a few photos straight from the camera. Click on the file number to get larger image for your pixel peeping pleasure.

1/850 ƒ/8 ISO 200:
9288638642_89fa5407a6_c.jpg

_DSF2639 by wuyanxu, on Flickr

1/60 ƒ/2 ISO 2500:
9285861061_1f1a3f57ab_c.jpg

_DSF2730 by wuyanxu, on Flickr

1/52 ƒ/2.8 ISO 3200:
9285860749_3e0ca2319b_c.jpg

_DSF2738 by wuyanxu, on Flickr

1/60 ƒ/2 ISO 1000: White balance is excellent, both Canon and Nikon DSLR struggles under this room's lighting and nothing is white.
9288637558_8515df22a7_c.jpg

_DSF2759 by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Back