Fuji X20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujifilm X10 vs X20 : List of all 51 improvements

1. 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor without optical low pass filters improves resolution to as much as a 4/3″ sensor.
2. S/N ratio improved to level similar to Full frame sensors.
3. Phase detection AF allows for AF speeds as low as 0.04secs (compared to X10 0.16secs).
4. 1080p HD video @ 60fps (X10 1080p HD video @ 30fps).
5. Phase detection Autofocus also works during movie recording.
6. Face detection works during movie recording.
7. In movie recording, moiré and false colour are minimised (as in still image shooting)
8. Start up time of 0.9secs (1.5secs previously)
9. 12fps continuous shooting at max resolution (compared to 7fps previously)
10. 0.5secs shooting interval (1.1secs previously)
11. Fujifilm X10 vs X20, stores 14-bit RAW files
12. EXR Processor II allows for “Lens Modulation Optimiser” to overcome
the limits of optics. (diffraction phenomenon or peripheral aberration)
13. EXR Precessor II allows for great Noise Reduction at high-ISO
14. Advanced Optical Viewfinder allows for the following information to be displayed as an overlay on the optical viewfinder:
Focus indicator
Exposure Compensation
Shutter Speed + Aperture Value
ISO Setting + Shooting Mode
Flash/Self Timer icons
Focus Area
Parallax Caution
AF Error, Blur Caution
15. Eye sensor to change between LCD/OVF automatically
16. Two new Film Simulation modes – Pro Neg.Std and Pro Neg. Hi
17. X20 has ‘F-simulation bracketing’ function, one shot can produce 3
different Film simulation images which can be pre-set.
18. ‘Advanced filter’ mode has installed as standard
19. ‘Multiplex Exposure’ function. View first shot on LCD then frame
second shot over the top.
20. Q-Button (Quick) for instant access to shooting menus as standard.
21. Multi-Tab menu system for easy navigation.
22. ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function to help you to check the focal plane while using manual focus.
23. Available in solid black or black and silver.
24. X20 Logo engraved on front.
25. Strap attachment rings are coated with a stainless-steel layer.
26. Lens barrel shielded to protect from dust.
27. Fujifilm X10 vs X20, you can now directly attach a protector filter to the lens.
28. Supports external microphone
29. Changed the layout of buttons
30. Fujifilm X10 vs X20, improved using the wide aperture in MF shooting
31. WB shift available in any mode
32. Able to reset the Custom settings and Camera settings separately
33. All camera settings now retained when firmware is updated
34. Add ‘MARK FOR UPLOAD TO’ MyFinePix.com
35. Support for Eyefi cards
36. In low light scene, LCD display is sharp and clear
37. When holding shutter button, LCD doesn’t freeze
38. After release the shutter button you can now immediately use some keys
39. In Manual Exposure, the histogram updates faster
40. In Post-viewing, eye sensor function can work
41. Able to set ISO-AUTO in ISO-TAB
42. Changed the location of ‘AF area select button’
43. Add the function ‘ADVANCED SR AUTO’
44. In movie shooting, Scene recognition function can work
45. In movie shooting, D-range expansion function can work
46. While movie shooting, you are now able to also capture still photos
47. Intelligent anti-blur function has been improved
48. High-resolution zoom processing is faster.
49. High-resolution zoom range has been extended.
50. Easy to select the setting of continuous shooting
51. Removed dedicated “RAW” button (but can still be set to the Fn button)

from Daily Camera News

Last edited:
So, can you make a review about the camera already?! :)

Hi, Battery life is not brilliant, otherwise an Excellent bit of kit.

I've made extreemly good quality prints in excess of A3 from shots taken on mine. ISO is very usable up to 1600.
No it won't match the X-E1/X-Pro1 for image quality, but I'd be surprised if there is anything else out there in the same format that can match it.

You might want to read an earlier post of mine within this thread refering to a problem I had with the view finder. There's also a bit of info about tests that I've done with external flash. Hope this helps.

Does the rear screen still jerk sideways a bit when you half press the shutter, as it does in my X10? It's annoying although I've learned to live with it...

Does the rear screen still jerk sideways a bit when you half press the shutter, as it does in my X10? It's annoying although I've learned to live with it...

Hi Chris, I have the camera in front of me now and have checked it out on your comments. Mine certainly doesn't jerk whatsoever, I must admit I very seldom use a screen for focussing as I was brought up on proper view finders so I had not noticed. Hope this helps.

Hi Chris, I have the camera in front of me now and have checked it out on your comments. Mine certainly doesn't jerk whatsoever, I must admit I very seldom use a screen for focussing as I was brought up on proper view finders so I had not noticed. Hope this helps.

I use my screen often on my X20 and have not experienced this at all.

So, can you make a review about the camera already?! :)

Here you go, Peter.

My review of the Fujifilm X20: The Beautiful Fujifilm X20

an excerpt from the review:

And because it's always fun with some colour...

In Sight by purplbutrfly, on Flickr

Does this camera have an auto-iso function where you set a minimum shutter speed?

Thanks!

Does this camera have an auto-iso function where you set a minimum shutter speed?

Thanks!

Auto-ISO has min iso, max iso and min shutter speed settings. :)

Super quick reply, thanks!

Does it have face detection?

Thanks in anticipation:)

Hi, It does indeed have face detection, and a whole lot more, these little cameras are superb !!!

I wonder if any X20 users find distortion on the edges when they do wide angle? How does one fix this? Does the software Fuji comes with have a solution for this?

Some great looking photos in here, does anyone have experience with this and the X100, how do they compare? Im considering both but theres not much on the X20 out there yet, the photos in here look very nice and similar to the X100; with a new X20 being similar in price to a used X100 just wondering what the best option would be, purely in terms of image quality.

After playing with an X20 when I picked up my X100s, I have just convinced myself I need one.
Just need to convince Mrs A now.......
Allan

After playing with an X20 when I picked up my X100s, I have just convinced myself I need one.
Just need to convince Mrs A now.......
Allan

Hi, I hope you manage to convince your wife, the X20 is an excellent bit of kit. If your wife is anything like mine you'll have difficulty getting it back off her if she ever uses it.:)

Well, she thought it was a good idea and even bought it for me ( I have to sell my X10 and other bits to repay the "loan"!) and luckily, she hasnt yet got the photography bug
It should be here by the end of the week.
Allan

Glad to see more and more taking on the X20! :)

Here are a few recent ones from mine:

Listen by purplbutrfly, on Flickr
forgive the shake. entirely my fault. i capture from taxi rides so there will be a few non-sharp ones and a few back-focus ones... it comes with the territory of taking street shots from a moving vehicle. :)

At Work by purplbutrfly, on Flickr

a recent favorite

Dare to Ride by purplbutrfly, on Flickr

And here's my Month-After Review:

Just a little share. I use aperture priority (A) as my main setting when I capture these images. It's not easy to use manual with the ever-changing light and speed I'm usually in (literally 'in' as I'm in a cab) - and to match that with the movement of my subjects on the street - well, you can see manual might not be the best choice.

Fuji colours are beautiful. It's richer and creamier. Really pleasant to look at. I have not gotten tired of it. In fact, it challenges me to look for colour just so I can re-produce the magic my camera helps make.

As for accessories, my battery life is not much better, even after so many cycles. I have one spare and am considering getting another one. Protective filter at 40mm is not easy to find. I still don't have any protection for my lens - which might be a good and a bad thing. Good as I get the full power of the glass in my cam, and bad as it is not protected. I am still on the look-out for a filter.

All in all, I have fallen more and more in love with this beauty. Can't wait to see more images from this little machine that very well can!

Here's a little share on its macro capabilities.

This is in supermacro mode. The matryoshkas are 4cm high. :)

True Friendship by purplbutrfly, on Flickr

And here is another short note I wrote on my fuji. :)

After all has been said about the Fuji X Series’ technical excellence, Fuji X photographers stand there, sit there, lay there, kneel there, hunch there, peering into the camera’s LCD or their computer monitors and look into images that have soul.

Throughout the past 6 years, I’ve worked with a slew of P&S, entry-level DSLRs, full frame ones and medium format cameras and I can confidently say: there has never been anything like my Fuji.

My beautiful little Fuji helps create images filled with warmth, depth, vibrance and life SOOC (straight out of the camera). Not only that, the camera itself is a pretty little piece of art, too, and that adds to the beauty of using it.

Chie Sipin-Bjarenas
Filipina Photographer based in Jakarta
Proud Owner of the sweet Fuji X20

My answer to @fujifilmph’s question on their FB page.

X20 arrived this afternoon. What a lovely camera. I got it in silver to match my X100s, heres a quick shot I took this afternoon. Jpeg straight from the camera with the settings as they came.

8722747459_03ea4ddd8c_b.jpg

Didnt have time to fiddle around with it yet. I must say, the new viewfinder is a welcome change over the X10, making it totally useable. I much prefer to use the finder than looking at the screen, it would be nice to have had the same OVF as the x100, but I can easily live with it as it is.
Allan

I hope this isn't covered further up the thread, but I need some help.

I very excitedly bought a X20 from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. However, when I opened the box, which had no seal, there was a French and a German manual, but no English. The charger plug was two-pin European and there was no 'protective cover' that the box indicated that there would be.

Amazon say that this is entirely normal (although they do say they sent out the wrong one, indicating that it's an already returned item). They have offered me a small discount or a refund, but I would like to know from any British X20 owners whether the contents are as I've listed?

I hope this isn't covered further up the thread, but I need some help.

I very excitedly bought a X20 from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. However, when I opened the box, which had no seal, there was a French and a German manual, but no English. The charger plug was two-pin European and there was no 'protective cover' that the box indicated that there would be.

Amazon say that this is entirely normal (although they do say they sent out the wrong one, indicating that it's an already returned item). They have offered me a small discount or a refund, but I would like to know from any British X20 owners whether the contents are as I've listed?

Hi Lucy, glad to see another X20 photographer!

I'm in Asia and got mine from here so I'm not sure if this is very helpful. Mine came with the following:

NP-50 rechargeable battery
BC-50B battery charger
USB cable
Lens cap
Plug Adaptor
Clip attaching tool
Metal strap clips (x2)
Protective covers (x2)
Shoulder strap

CD-ROM
Owner's Manual

The protective covers look like this:
601861_10151604139007485_158789718_n.jpg

They cover the metal strap clips that connects your neck strap (or any strap using the metal strap clips) and protects the metal scraping the finish.

Here's a link to the X20 Manual (English).

And here's a link to the X20 Brochure (English).

I hope to see images from you soon!

Thank you, that's a really helpful response :)

From your list and after rereading the reply from Amazon, it looks like it's just the adapter for the plug that's missing. I'm surprised at the lack of English printed manual though. But neither things are the end of the world.

I'm looking forward to trying the camera out, once I've figured out how to charge the battery.. I'll post some pictures here soon I'm sure.

I've also just realised this is the first time I've ever had a brand new camera. Fun!

Hi Lucy

I wouldn't be very happy with a camera sold in the UK that didn't have an English manual.... and plug!

Hi Lucy

I wouldn't be very happy with a camera sold in the UK that didn't have an English manual.... and plug!

I'm not, which is why I've complained to Amazon, but if I can find out about other people's experiences of buying at X20 in the UK it might strengthen my negotiating position. It could just be that Fuji have only released a generic European version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back