Fuji X20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not, which is why I've complained to Amazon, but if I can find out about other people's experiences of buying at X20 in the UK it might strengthen my negotiating position. It could just be that Fuji have only released a generic European version.

Why not ring Fuji as I found them very helpful when I had issues with my X10 last year. Spoke to them 3 or 4 separate times and each person was really helpful.

Why not ring Fuji as I found them very helpful when I had issues with my X10 last year. Spoke to them 3 or 4 separate times and each person was really helpful.

I agree. I had problems with availability on mine (plus shops here were promising left and right to no avail) and got in touch with Fuji here (Indonesia) and in Tokyo. They acted quite quickly and resolved my issue in a short period of time.

Dave, you want it otherwise you wouldnt still be deliberating. Go on.....

Lucy, I dont know what you paid for yours but I ordered my X20 from DigitalRev for £419 on 6th, it was delivered free to the UK from Hong Kong on the 9th and I was able to track it all the way! It came with an English manual and UK plug that clips into the charger and all the other bits that purplbutrfly mentioned, and a normal warranty.

Plus, DigitalRev are on TP all the time so if you have any problems or questions, they are only a message away.

Allan

Lucy, I dont know what you paid for yours but I ordered my X20 from DigitalRev for £419 on 6th, it was delivered free to the UK from Hong Kong on the 9th and I was able to track it all the way! It came with an English manual and UK plug that clips into the charger and all the other bits that purplbutrfly mentioned, and a normal warranty.

Thanks Allan, that's what I needed to know. I paid £460, but Amazon have offered a £40 goodwill refund (it's not their fault, the product doesn't come with a charger or manual, etc). I think I'm going to accept this, as the camera seems to work fine. I will continue to complain though because they are still advertising the product in a very misleading way.

DigitalRev sound extremely good and I'll be going to them rather than Amazon in future.

Lucy, I have a spare set of protective covers and an almost new uk charger ( that came with an x10 but its the same battery as the x20)
If you are interested, I could send them to you for the cost of postage and a beer!
Allan

I read a review of this camera on DPR and thought that it might be a good replacement for my LX5 (I never use it) but I thought of a couple of questions...

The review mentioned that you can get shooting info in the VF and they say that they hope that a histogram will be added as a firmware upgrade. That'd be nice :D

However... in their little image of the VF shooting info is there (shutter and aperture and some other stuff) but there's no exposure scale. So...

Is it possible to get an exposure scale in the VF?

Also, can you shoot RAW at ISO 100?
(I know you can't do this with the X Series cameras, sadly.)

The OVF will show Exp comp indicator and value, shutter speed and aperture, shooting mode ( in A S M and P), af warning, focus point, and some other stuff depending on shooting mode.
It will shoot RAW at iso 100 too.
Allan

I read a review of this camera on DPR and thought that it might be a good replacement for my LX5 (I never use it) but I thought of a couple of questions...

The review mentioned that you can get shooting info in the VF and they say that they hope that a histogram will be added as a firmware upgrade. That'd be nice :D

However... in their little image of the VF shooting info is there (shutter and aperture and some other stuff) but there's no exposure scale. So...

Is it possible to get an exposure scale in the VF?

Also, can you shoot RAW at ISO 100?
(I know you can't do this with the X Series cameras, sadly.)

I don't think the exposure scale is possible. Re-checking this now. Will update. EDIT: Exposure scale might not look like the one in the DSLR but definitely there.

Yes, you can shoot raw at ISO 100. :)

Last edited:
The OVF will show Exp comp indicator and value, shutter speed and aperture, shooting mode ( in A S M and P), af warning, focus point, and some other stuff depending on shooting mode.
It will shoot RAW at iso 100 too.
Allan

How do I get this on? I can't seem to find the settings to make this work.

Look through the VF and turn the exposure comp dial. You will see an indicator and the EV displayed.The EV goes when you take a shot but the indicator stays displayed.
Allan

I don't think the exposure scale is possible. Re-checking this now. Will update.

Yes, you can shoot raw at ISO 100. :)

It's such a shame you can't do this with the XE-1 and X Pro., I just can't get past not having ISO 100 available and having to shoot at 200 or 100 JPEG. I'm torn between waiting another year to see what comes out, or just going for a Nex.

Would consider a x20 as a LX5 replacement though.

Look through the VF and turn the exposure comp dial. You will see an indicator and the EV displayed.The EV goes when you take a shot but the indicator stays displayed.
Allan

So the scale only comes on when you dial in compensation?

Allan

Found it. Not exactly the same as the one in my DSLR but there. :)

Thanks!

You dont see a scale, just the indicator when you operate exp comp and the value is displayed as you change it. Once you press the shutter button, the value disappears but the indicator stays with either an up or down arrow, depending which way you have set the compensation as a reminder.
Dpreview's review of the X20 shows what you will see in the OVF
Allan

Sounds a bit like the exposure meter of my Voigtlander Bessa.

Found it. Not exactly the same as the one in my DSLR but there. :)

Thanks!

My X100s has the scale too. At least the X20 has some basic info in the viewfinder, maybe a software update would add a little more. A histogram and EV scale as well as grid lines would be nice too, but I am happy with it as it is.
Allan

The X-20 is reviewed in next week's Amateur Photographer - cover date 18th May 2013.

Lucy, I have a spare set of protective covers and an almost new uk charger ( that came with an x10 but its the same battery as the x20)
If you are interested, I could send them to you for the cost of postage and a beer!
Allan

Thank you, that's very kind. I have the protective covers (the box mentioned a single cover, hence the initial confusion). The charger might be useful to have though. I've managed to dig out an adapter from my large box of old tech, but it's not ideal. I'm waiting for a final response from Amazon before I will give a definite yes/no answer though.

Last edited:
Can someone convince me why I need an X20? :D

I already have a D7000 with a bunch of lenses and a canon S95, but love the look of the X20 but my sensible side says "no!" plz help :bonk:

That's easy
It's one of the best looking cameras around and it takes great pictures. It's also the only camera of its class with an optical viewfinder displaying shooting info

Sorted. Go buy one now
Allan

Can someone convince me why I need an X20? :D

I already have a D7000 with a bunch of lenses and a canon S95, but love the look of the X20 but my sensible side says "no!" plz help :bonk:

Hi, Pick one up, Try it, and then it will answer your question itself. They are excellent cameras.

Enjoy it I know you'll buy it.:)

Took my X20 out for a walk while there was a break in the clouds. This is the River Stour, about a half mile from Canterbury City Centre.
Kent really is the Garden of England!

and looking across from Herne Bay to Whitstable.... into the sun.

Allan

Last edited:
This is SOOC and cropped to about 1/4 its original size (is that 400% or 25% crop).

JPG, macro and Velvia flm settings used.

8900920464_0fa7b41e6f_b.jpg

Today I have been seduced by the retro beauty of the X20! The battery is charging and I cant wait to be up and running!!

Today I have been seduced by the retro beauty of the X20! The battery is charging and I cant wait to be up and running!!

Hi, You'll love it, they're excellent bits of kit. I've printed A3+ from mine. Be sure to invest in a spare battery as they do knock out quite quickly. Enjoy (y)

Anyone know of anywhere that sells cheap compatible lens hoods/adapter rings for the x20? (y)

Hi, I got mine from ebay, cost me about £7.50. Just search for X10 as it's exactly the same size. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back