Fujifilm to drop Acros in 135 & 120 later this year?

I’ll likely do the same, if indeed this is true. I had to spend a fortune stocking up on acros 100 in 5x4 :/
I shot a couple of 2005 dated Acros Quickloads on Tuesday and they were fine. They've certainly been refrigerated all that time, but never frozen. Buy with confidence, as the saying goes.:)

EDIT: just checked and see that Firstcall want £79.99 + postage for 20 sheets, so £4+ per sheet.:eek::eek: Foreign sellers don't look much cheaper when everything gets taken into account.

Last edited:
I saw that too. This is a real shame as it's a pretty unique film.

It used to be my go to black and white film but it shot up in price to the point where it became uneconomic.
Sometimes it seems to me that companies get it completely wrong. Given that currently film sales are on the up you would think that selling a popular film like Acros at a sensible price would mean more sales and profit, pricing it out of the market would appear to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. :thinking:

It used to be my go to black and white film but it shot up in price to the point where it became uneconomic.
Sometimes it seems to me that companies get it completely wrong. Given that currently film sales are on the up you would think that selling a popular film like Acros at a sensible price would mean more sales and profit, pricing it out of the market would appear to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. :thinking:

I presume there's something different about its chemistry that makes it more expensive?

Japan Camera Hunter tweeted "[Acros 100] is discontinued. Fuji actually no longer manufacture film. They are simply selling off remaining stock."

Worse and worse. Although you'd think, closing down a factory is such a big thing, there would be more information about it...

Acros in 5x4 used to be my film of choice - despite the cost - because it was available in the convenient Quickloads. I hated the small hole in the corner though. Re the Ilford survey - I should have added that I'd like to see their film available in Quickloads/Readyloads, although I recall this suggestion being put to them years ago (on APUG?) and turned down, although I can't recall the reason.

On the rare occasions I use colour, I use Fuji, so sad to see the name go.

Just guessing...maybe Fuji have set up film production for large quantities and don't want to reset Or set up new factory OR whatever....to produce film for smaller quantities of film to make a profit, But then is it possible to make film, without large quantities, for a reasonable price h'mm

Acros in 5x4 used to be my film of choice - despite the cost - because it was available in the convenient Quickloads. I hated the small hole in the corner though.
Strange how people have different opinions about such things, since I think the hole is a brilliantly simple way of hanging the sheets up to dry without marking them. In fact, I've often wondered why other film makers don't do something as simple as that. ;)

You’d expect that they’d try to sell off their film making business rather than simply discontinue it - unless they’ve tried and received no worthwhile interest, or if it’s integrated into their main business (maybe as part of the Instax stuff) in such a way as it can’t easily be hived off.

I suppose that, even with interest in film on the rise, manufacturing capacity on Fuji’s scale is probably a risky investment though*.

* I have no real understanding of the economics in the present market, or in the viability of selling off all or some of the production set up.

ive been meaning to try it for a while, so just ordered a couple of rolls before it's too late. ho hum another one bites the dust.

This baffles me, it's one of the few films that always processes exactly how you expect it to.
The negs are always great

Strange how people have different opinions about such things, since I think the hole is a brilliantly simple way of hanging the sheets up to dry without marking them. In fact, I've often wondered why other film makers don't do something as simple as that. ;)
The Acros hole for those who might be wondering what on earth we are on about. :whistle:
20180331_110250-tp.jpg

Last edited:
I always have to clone it out because it's always in my image area. I don't have a problem hanging up FP4 using the unused area.

Silverprint have a 10% off Easter sale at the moment (code: EASTER10). A 5-roll box of 120 works out at £24.73 inc vat after discount. Spend £100+ and get free delivery as well.

If the rumour is true, now is the time. Even if it isn't, it's unlikely to get any cheaper.

I was just going to post that info. Their website has been offline all day until the past hour or so, and I wanted to make sure my order was confirmed before suggesting to others that they might want to take advantage of this.:cool:

I've just been reviewing my Acros images while I decide whether to buy some more. Most of them are pinhole images, where I have used Acros so that I don't have to worry about reciprocity (no adjustment being necessary for exposures of up to 2 minutes).

Here are some medium format pinhole samples:

Eilan Donan pinhole
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Life without a lens
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

I might as well buy a few rolls while I can ... although if I do I think I'll need to get a new separate freezer for film.

Last edited:
I was just going to post that info. Their website has been offline all day until the past hour or so, and I wanted to make sure my order was confirmed before suggesting to others that they might want to take advantage of this.:cool:

Great minds think alike. :)

:mad: There goes my favourite B+W film. I've always found it to perform superbly even when compared to ISO 50 films, and the reciprocity characteristics made it the best film to use at night.

Trying to take the positives from this, hopefully the business will go to Kodak and Ilford, meaning heir profits will increase and they will continue to produce and (re)introduce film stock.

I stopped buying 400H because of Fuji’s attitude towards discontinuing film and now shoot Kodak for colour and Ilford for B&W (remaining stocks excluded of course).

Trying to take the positives from this, hopefully the business will go to Kodak and Ilford, meaning heir profits will increase and they will continue to produce and (re)introduce film stock.

I stopped buying 400H because of Fuji’s attitude towards discontinuing film and now shoot Kodak for colour and Ilford for B&W (remaining stocks excluded of course).

Well as mentioned before..if everyone stopped buying in protest then that will drive Fuji out of the film business and for colour that would give Kodak a monopoly to charge what they like. :eek:

Silverprint have a 10% off Easter sale at the moment (code: EASTER10). A 5-roll box of 120 works out at £24.73 inc vat after discount. Spend £100+ and get free delivery as well.

If the rumour is true, now is the time. Even if it isn't, it's unlikely to get any cheaper.

I tried to order that last night at 11:30 but couldn't find the code... :(

I tried to order that last night at 11:30 but couldn't find the code... :(

It was only on over Easter - ended at midnight on Monday. They do have pretty regular 10% off sales, though - there was one near the end of February as well. Worth being on their mailing list for the notifications.

'The increasingly inaccurately named Fujifilm...'

So, T-Max or Delta or something else in 100?

Last edited:
Adox may eventually release CHS 100 II in something other than 135?

...and by release, I mean actually make something in enough quantity for there to be even a tiny bit of stock in Europe!

Last edited:
If it isn't a hoax, it looks pretty definite. This is from the notice sent to Japanese resellers...

Acros Notice Portion.jpg

After going through some OCR and translation, it comes out as...

1 Applicable items and g-recognition at the end of baking
(1) black and white film
Size Product abbreviation.......JAN code out...Estimated expected completion time...Last shipment expiration date
135..135 ACROSIOO NP 36EX 1.....4547410246186..October 2018.........................October 2019
135..135 ACROSIOO NP 36EX 3SB...4547410246193..October 2018.........................October 2019
120..120 ACROS100 EP NP 12EX 5..4547410246247..October 2018.........................October 2019

Dots added to preserve formatting.

I wonder if there's a way to persuade Ilford of the advantages of a film with similar properties to Acros 100, such that they might actually make one?

Does anyone know when Acros 100 was introduced?

Does anyone know when Acros 100 was introduced?
I don't know when it was introduced Chris, but I have Acros Quickloads with an expiry date of 2005, so probably at least a couple of years before that.

Yes a Google search found references dating back to early 2000s, but I couldn't find anything specific to its introduction. Wondering if anyone with a back collection of photographic magazines could give us a clue? The reason for asking was related to any patents that might cover the film and stop others producing new versions.

I wonder if there's a way to persuade Ilford of the advantages of a film with similar properties to Acros 100, such that they might actually make one?
Co-incidentally, I did put that on my wish list when I completed Ilford's market research questionnaire the other day, and that was before I read that Across 100 might be for the chop.

Back