Fujifilm to drop Acros in 135 & 120 later this year?

Yes a Google search found references dating back to early 2000s, but I couldn't find anything specific to its introduction. Wondering if anyone with a back collection of photographic magazines could give us a clue? The reason for asking was related to any patents that might cover the film and stop others producing new versions.

The conversation here, in late 2002, looks like one that would happen when a film has just been introduced...

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/fuji-acros.2251/

The conversation here, in late 2002, looks like one that would happen when a film has just been introduced...

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/fuji-acros.2251/
From the link:
I know from the AP report that Geoffrey Crawley was relatively impressed by Acros
That was the days before everything was brilliant and fantastic, so pretty strong praise really. (y) And for those who don't know about Geoffrey: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ffrey-crawley-dies-update-with-tributes-18960

Sounds like the guy Geoffrey C Crawley who designed\invented (whatever the word is).... my favourite developer (also others) i.e. Unitol

Japan Camera Hunter tweeted "[Acros 100] is discontinued. Fuji actually no longer manufacture film. They are simply selling off remaining stock."

Worse and worse. Although you'd think, closing down a factory is such a big thing, there would be more information about it...

You have to worry for colour film photography if JCH is right. I'm not sure if C41 and E6 (if they ever release Ektachrome) can keep going just with Kodak alone. Luckily there's Ilford and Foma also for B&W

You have to worry for colour film photography if JCH is right. I'm not sure if C41 and E6 (if they ever release Ektachrome) can keep going just with Kodak alone. Luckily there's Ilford and Foma also for B&W

It might actually be a help if Kodak is the only colour player in town and they keep the prices reasonable.

The problem with Kodak and Fuji in particular is that they were set up to produce consumer film on an industrial scale - they have massive, expensive operations that need a minimum sales level to break even. As world demand declines, they face a situation where the amount of film that goes through the production lines is no longer enough. It's looking increasingly like Fuji have decided to throw in the towel, which then begs the question of whether the demand for colour film is enough to sustain Kodak's operations.

It's hard to say, and time will tell, but if/when Fuji pull out of film completely, then the short term for Kodak would look pretty good as people migrate to them - they'd have a boost in sales, potentially without having to do much in terms of setting up new production lines. Beyond that, it's a bit like the vinyl records thing, where a balance has been found in terms of on-going demand being enough to sustain the production. In other words, with two major producers, the demand is insufficient, but it might work for one major producer (which may already be scaled back in any case).

Well think of the positive guys, uncertainty could scare buyers of the expensive stuff and I might get a Nikon f4 for £40 o_O

American Photo July August 2001 had a news item about Acros being a new film introduction.

I hope you're wrong. I actually don't know what I would do if colour film died in my lifetime. I can't see it as Kodak are profitable again thanks to big Hollywood studios committing to shooting film for a while...and while the big players keep doing so and producing films like Nolan's Batman trilogy, I think we should be safe for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilford shared a quote by Annie Leibovitz today...

"Computer photography won't be photography as we know it. I think photography will always be chemical"

:D

I really fear for E6, it's my favourite (when you get it right) but it's also the one I can see dieing off first sadly :(

I really fear for E6, it's my favourite (when you get it right) but it's also the one I can see dieing off first sadly :(

Well if the rumours are true and Fuji has actually stopped producing film (just relying on stockpiles), while Kodak hasn't got Ektachrome going again and Film Ferrania are still trying to get their backside into gear, E6 may already be effectively dead! It's good that there are two rescue missions though...

Working as I do in a lab running E6, C41and BW I've seen it all change. BW and C41 are more buoyant than E6 on a day to day basis but then you'll get a hundred roll process and mount in.

Use em or lose em, peeps.

If it isn't a hoax, it looks pretty definite. This is from the notice sent to Japanese resellers...

View attachment 123658

After going through some OCR and translation, it comes out as...

1 Applicable items and g-recognition at the end of baking
(1) black and white film
Size Product abbreviation.......JAN code out...Estimated expected completion time...Last shipment expiration date
135..135 ACROSIOO NP 36EX 1.....4547410246186..October 2018.........................October 2019
135..135 ACROSIOO NP 36EX 3SB...4547410246193..October 2018.........................October 2019
120..120 ACROS100 EP NP 12EX 5..4547410246247..October 2018.........................October 2019

Dots added to preserve formatting.

I would urge caution when relying on online translators for Japanese, as they often are not very accurate.

That said, even if this release actually states that these products are ending, it does not necessarily mean that Acros—or a film very similar to it—won't still be manufactured by Fuji. For instance, consider that Fuji 160S was discontinued a number of years ago, but then Fuji 160NS, which is virtually the same film, popped up with a new product code and new packaging (it was even billed as a new film at the time, I think).

Likewise, Fuji 400NPH went through the same process and magically emerged as Fuji 400H.

Now, I can't really see any reason why they would do this for Acros, but the previous changes made no sense either, so it's not a done deal for me that Fuji are finished producing this film or any other.

Last edited:
I would urge caution when relying on online translators for Japanese, as they often are not very accurate.

The first one I tried produced bizarre gibberish formed from words in English that made no sense, either strung together, or even just something to do with film. The second one seemed to do rather better - the only thing that's odd given the purported context is "g-recognition". "end of baking" could be taken to mean "end of manufacture". As for the other phrases, I think the chances of random mistranslation of something that has a different meaning resulting in something that has the meaning that it appears to have is vanishingly small.

For reference, the opening section of the doc translates to...

To our business partners
April 2018
a Mr. Film Imaging Systems Co., Ltd.
Information on the end of sale of 盅 white film and black and white photographic paper
We are pleased to announce that we are proud of our prosperity.
In addition, Hiraku thank you very much for your considerable patronage to Fuji Film a.
Since supply became troublesome, we will terminate the sale.
Since we will continue to strive to improve life expectancy skills ahead of the future, we will strive to absorb drastic costs, such as currency reduction,
51 Thank you for your continued patronage of FUJIFILM's products.

The section after the Acros portion is about B&W printing papers. The closing section translates to...

※ There is a possibility that the anticipated shipping closing timing will be changed depending on the sales situation, due to the prospects at the present moment.
2 Future prospects
Since both black-and-white film and Hongu Brand newspaper paper will be sold for all tobacco sales, there are no recommended products for use a
【Contact Information】 FUJIFILM Imaging Systems Contact Center East Japan Phone: 042 - 481 - 8399 West Japan Phone: 042 - 481 - 8409

To me, that reads like they're struggling to make the sales volume they need, and they're jacking it in.

That said, even if this release actually states that these products are ending, it does not necessarily mean that Acros—or a film very similar to it—won't still be manufactured by Fuji. For instance, consider that Fuji 160S was discontinued a number of years ago, but then Fuji 160NS, which is virtually the same film, popped up with a new product code and new packaging (it was even billed as a new film at the time, I think).

Likewise, Fuji 400NPH went through the same process and magically emerged as Fuji 400H.

Now, I can't really see any reason why they would do this for Acros, but the previous changes made no sense either, so it's not a done deal for me that Fuji are finished producing this film or any other.

I see no successors to Neopan 400 and 1600. Unless there's a dramatic increase in consumption of B&W film, I don't think they are going to appear, and I have no reason to think there will be one for Acros either. Even if there was an increase in consumption, it has to happen, to the extent that it's a viable proposition, before Fuji either break up or redeploy their coating lines.

For what it's worth, my order of the above just arrived. The boxes are dated October 2019.
Same here, plus I ordered a couple of rolls of Fomapan 100 to try as I've never used it. The date on it is September 2019, so maybe an 18 month expiry date is fairly common now? (I shot fridge-stored 2005 Acros last week and 2007 FP4+ yesterday, so I'm happy to stock up on more Acros before it runs out (y))

Last edited:
I currently have 14 boxes of acros 5x4, 4 of which are dated 2014, so plenty of life left in them, especially as they've been frozen since day one. Really need to stock up on Velvia 50 before that gets canned (no doubt, knowing my luck) as well.

Saying that, I've still got a box of Adox CHS 25! I forget what date that is, but it can't be much past 2012.

Last edited:
Apologies, I wasn't attempting to brag, it was a fear purchase from the announcement that the sheet format was being canned. It's very reassuring though that you shot such outdated acros the other day and it came out ok!

Apologies, I wasn't attempting to brag, it was a fear purchase from the announcement that the sheet format was being canned. It's very reassuring though that you shot such outdated acros the other day and it came out ok!
No probs at all , I'm just really impressed with your commitment in stocking up with it before it disappears. My faltering return to film has been pretty much based on using up old stocks, so a £75 spend on new film was a culture shock for me. And then there was the Tri-X and the Agfa Vista 400 .......:oops: :$:oops: :$;)

Has anyone who ordered Acros from Silverprint using the Easter discount, received their Acros yet ?

I thought I had ordered 4 packs, i.e. 20 rolls, of 120; but it appears my order didn't complete for some reason. My order history on their web site is blank, and I didn't receive an email confirmation of the order, or of course the film.

Has anyone who ordered Acros from Silverprint using the Easter discount, received their Acros yet ?

I thought I had ordered 4 packs, i.e. 20 rolls, of 120; but it appears my order didn't complete for some reason. My order history on their web site is blank, and I didn't receive an email confirmation of the order, or of course the film.
I got mine today Kevin, and Nomad Z got his yesterday (posts #56 & 57). There was a problem with their website on the day I ordered, but I had a confirmation email from them on Sunday the 1st.

I got mine today Kevin, and Nomad Z got his yesterday (posts #56 & 57). There was a problem with their website on the day I ordered, but I had a confirmation email from them on Sunday the 1st.

Thanks - I must have missed a button press somewhere. I think I'll risk waiting to the next discount opportunity as I've got a fair stock of FP4 to work through.

Maybe some good news?..

https://kosmofoto.com/2018/07/fujifilm-black-and-white-acros-neopan-returning/

Japanese film giant Fujifilm is considering reversing one of their most unpopular decisions – the axing of most of their black-and-white film line-up.

According to Japanese media, the company is considering bringing back some discontinued emulsions after popular demand.

The possible volte-face was reported on Yahoo News Japan (from ITMedia News) and became a hot topic amongst Japanese film photographers.

I'd probably like it even more if it included 5x4 - with or without Quickloads.

Well, if they do reverse their decision it's going to take me a while to get through the 6 x 5 packs of 120 that I squirreled away in my fridge and freezer!

In fact, I hope they've taken the 'squirrel factor' into account and don't expect to sell shed loads of it as soon as it's relaunched either, or we'll be back to square one before 12 months is up if they think it's not selling!

Well, if they do reverse their decision it's going to take me a while to get through the 6 x 5 packs of 120 that I squirreled away in my fridge and freezer!!

Not if I can get my hands on it (yes I know, over my dead body ;))

Last edited:
Haven't shot a frame of Acros since this announcement still got some in stores but now its starting to get dark I should see if can get the results I like with Delta, whether its resurrected or not Illford seem to be (currently) the only reliable b&w supplier.

Haven't shot a frame of Acros since this announcement still got some in stores but now its starting to get dark I should see if can get the results I like with Delta, whether its resurrected or not Illford seem to be (currently) the only reliable b&w supplier.

Kodak are reliable also (at least for the moment). If you want fine grain and a faster film for winter then your choices are between Ilford Delta or Kodak TMax. If you get your film lab developed I'd also throw in Ilford XP2.

Back