Fujifilm X-H1

There does appear to be a confirmed bug with Auto-ISO settings disappearing, I imagine it will be fixed fairly quickly, also reports of Errors depending on the SD Card used.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm...lock-ups-using-fujifilm-recommended-sd-cards/

I’m sure there was a similar issue with one of the older bodies not remembering settings, X-Pro 2 maybe?

Read something yesterday about recommended cards needed to stop the camera freezing up (probably that article you have linked).

I’ve been trying to take a step back and stop looking - but I do feel like I really want this camera. I’ll be in a position to get it New this week but it would mean moving away from Sony fully.

Silly or not, I’m 100% in the camp of if I like the feel of the camera I will be more inspired to take it out and shoot. I love their gear and love shooting with it. But my head says stick with full frame Sony. My A7rii is a bit of a pig to use, but the files are pretty bloody awesome to work with.

Have an engagement shoot this month so really need to decide this week what I’m doing.

Read something yesterday about recommended cards needed to stop the camera freezing up (probably that article you have linked).

I’ve been trying to take a step back and stop looking - but I do feel like I really want this camera. I’ll be in a position to get it New this week but it would mean moving away from Sony fully.

Silly or not, I’m 100% in the camp of if I like the feel of the camera I will be more inspired to take it out and shoot. I love their gear and love shooting with it. But my head says stick with full frame Sony. My A7rii is a bit of a pig to use, but the files are pretty bloody awesome to work with.

Have an engagement shoot this month so really need to decide this week what I’m doing.
Stick with full-frame Sony, with you having bought the Sony A7RII's around 10x says it all :D

I know exactly what you mean, I'm in that boat of if I enjoy using it I'll use it more as well.. but I do love the files the Sony spits out... Hmm

Although I'd like the video features and stabilisation etc the increased size will stop me from buying it.

The reason I have an X-T2 is for times I want a small light camera instead of carrying my D850. I also love the design of the X-T2, I'm not so sure about the X-H1 with the removal of the exposure compensation dial and the top display.

Just thinking there could be deals to be had at the photoshow for anyone considering a purchase ? Retailers seem to have plenty of stock so maybe not selling as fast as they had hoped.

Just thinking there could be deals to be had at the photoshow for anyone considering a purchase ? Retailers seem to have plenty of stock so maybe not selling as fast as they had hoped.

I think a lot of X-T1 and 2 owners will possible wait until the heavily rumoured X-T3 comes out to see what elements of the X-H1 have been incorporated into it as well as any other revisions specific to the X-T2 take place.

Silly or not, I’m 100% in the camp of if I like the feel of the camera I will be more inspired to take it out and shoot. I love their gear and love shooting with it.

That's exactly how I feel about my Fuji gear. I had 30 years of Canon, and after buying a T1, then a T2, Fuji gave me my hobby back. Even my FF 6D & L lenses went, followed by my 7D2 & Long lenses as I just wasn't using them.

The shooting experience is what it's all about for me, and their cameras ain't half bad either... :D

I had a touch of an X-H1 tonight in my local WEX (was Calumet), seems a very nice body, much more ergonomically pleasing than the smaller X-Pro 2 & XT-2 bodies anyway.
Didn’t get the chance to properly try it (hadn’t been charged yet) but will be nipping back later in the week to have a play once its been setup.

Does seem a lot chunkier with the Battery Grip on it than the XT2 was though, but I guess for glass like the 50-140/100-400 thats probably not a bad thing.

Also appears that 3x batteries come with the Body & Grip package, something that isn’t always obvious when its advertised.

I had a touch of an X-H1 tonight in my local WEX (was Calumet), seems a very nice body, much more ergonomically pleasing than the smaller X-Pro 2 & XT-2 bodies anyway.
Didn’t get the chance to properly try it (hadn’t been charged yet) but will be nipping back later in the week to have a play once its been setup.

Does seem a lot chunkier with the Battery Grip on it than the XT2 was though, but I guess for glass like the 50-140/100-400 thats probably not a bad thing.

Also appears that 3x batteries come with the Body & Grip package, something that isn’t always obvious when its advertised.

Yeah 3 batteries with the grip package. I’m avoiding looking at it. I know i’ll Want it if I see it.

Yeah 3 batteries with the grip package. I’m avoiding looking at it. I know i’ll Want it if I see it.

It’s very GFX Like but actually much nicer to handle than the GFX (which kinda felt like a brick with a handle attached).
I do fancy one... but not sure I’m really wanting to go back to 24mp....

It’s very GFX Like but actually much nicer to handle than the GFX (which kinda felt like a brick with a handle attached).
I do fancy one... but not sure I’m really wanting to go back to 24mp....

I’ve had a good look at the gfx. I went to park cameras to have a play with the a9 but got chatting to the Fuji rep who was there demonstrating the gfx. I spent most of my time trying all the lenses and couldn’t believe they had managed to get a sensor that size into a relatively small body. You had one for a while didn’t you?

I’ve had a good look at the gfx. I went to park cameras to have a play with the a9 but got chatting to the Fuji rep who was there demonstrating the gfx. I spent most of my time trying all the lenses and couldn’t believe they had managed to get a sensor that size into a relatively small body. You had one for a while didn’t you?

Yeah I did have one for a short white (before I felt almost sick at the cost of the body & 32-64 lens I was carrying around with me!!!)
It’s an epically good camera, if the AF had been a little snappier I’d maybe have kept it, great for landscapes and the city stuff I do but less so for taking quick snaps of the Mrs when we’re on holiday or out, etc... that said there isn’t many lenses for it so at least GAS would be kept to a minimum..... nice kit though and I’ve not seen anything that can touch it IQ wise (A7riii or D850), that said I never tried Pixel Shift on the Sony, the Pentax K1 Pixel Shift mode was pretty close to the GFX so Sony might do it too.

Picked up an X-H1 for the missus today, it's slightly bigger than an X-T2 but the grip means you don't really notice and for me (and the wife) it handles better. Shutter is quiet, not sure that the "softness" of it really makes much difference but it's no worse.

Not played with the video side of things but the IBIS for stills is very impressive, able to shoot the XF90 at 1/8 with very good results so it really does have the potential to transform some of the longer non-IOS primes.

I would miss the exposure dial although it doesn't fuss my wife and there is a (customisable) exposure button so it's easy enough to push that then use one of the dials.

For someone new to Fuji I think it's an easy pick over the X-T2 just for the IBIS and better EVF. If you already own Fuji gear then I think you'd need to have several non-IOS lenses or be keen for the improved video performance.

Picked up an X-H1 for the missus today, it's slightly bigger than an X-T2 but the grip means you don't really notice and for me (and the wife) it handles better. Shutter is quiet, not sure that the "softness" of it really makes much difference but it's no worse.

Not played with the video side of things but the IBIS for stills is very impressive, able to shoot the XF90 at 1/8 with very good results so it really does have the potential to transform some of the longer non-IOS primes.

I would miss the exposure dial although it doesn't fuss my wife and there is a (customisable) exposure button so it's easy enough to push that then use one of the dials.

For someone new to Fuji I think it's an easy pick over the X-T2 just for the IBIS and better EVF. If you already own Fuji gear then I think you'd need to have several non-IOS lenses or be keen for the improved video performance.

I mainly shot primes so liked the idea of ibis. Heard some reports that the ibis makes the camera quite noisy. Have you noticed that?

Oh and for comparison, here is an Olympus E-M1 MkII, the X-H1 and a D500 to give some perspective on the size. Slightly odd mix of cameras but my wife was toying with going M43 and she knew she didn't want a D500 (tried one previously) so this was a photo I took earlier in the week for her to compare before she tried one in the flesh.

IMG_4372.jpg

I mainly shot primes so liked the idea of ibis. Heard some reports that the ibis makes the camera quite noisy. Have you noticed that?

I think the noise is just the standard “hum” of an IBIS system to be honest, folk will have been commenting on it though because they haven’t heard it before on a Fuji, even though I’m sure some of the OIS lenses actually can be a bit loud at times.

Not noticed it although I am half deaf, I asked the wife just now and she hasn't noticed it so it's either very quiet or we have a noisy house. I will say from experience that everyone's tolerance of lens/body noise varies a lot, the only lens I ever thought was noisy was the Fuji 35 F1.4 which really did clunk quite a bit.

Oh and for comparison, here is an Olympus E-M1 MkII, the X-H1 and a D500 to give some perspective on the size. Slightly odd mix of cameras but my wife was toying with going M43 and she knew she didn't want a D500 (tried one previously) so this was a photo I took earlier in the week for her to compare before she tried one in the flesh.

Looking at that image, two things really stand out to me.

1) The D500 is really quite big compared to the others, and compared to the M4/3 body, it isn't that big at all.

2) The H1 is almost "L" shaped; that grip really does stand out quite a bit. Not sure how it will feel in the hand.

I will definitely be checking it out at the show, I see it as an excellent replacement for one of my T2's. Considering how much bird/wildlife shooting I do, if the focus is better/faster and the IBIS better than the OIS in the 100-400, then I can see it being very useful.

I suspect that part of the reason for the H1 release is to have a body that will work/balance well with the forthcoming 200mm F2, which going by rumours Nd mock ups will be huge!!!
Yes, its massive....... like a little stumpy piglet of a lens :D

That's exactly how I feel about my Fuji gear. I had 30 years of Canon, and after buying a T1, then a T2, Fuji gave me my hobby back. Even my FF 6D & L lenses went, followed by my 7D2 & Long lenses as I just wasn't using them.

The shooting experience is what it's all about for me, and their cameras ain't half bad either... :D

Agrred,on my 6th x100c,just love its quirks and way it looks and feels

That top LCD is rather incongruous with the rest of the camera and for that matter the entire Fuji range.
Presumably not possible from an engineering position to fit the usual exposure comp wheel and needed something to fill the space.

Actually its in line with the GFX, and probably has been done to attract DSLR users that are used to top LCDs and don't get on with old skool manual controls.....

How strange, can't see it being that much of a selling point and most i'm sure would rather have the exp comp dial.

How strange, can't see it being that much of a selling point and most i'm sure would rather have the exp comp dial.

Personally I'd rather have a comp dial too but I think the idea is it gives more flexibility as it can be customised for video and stills. It's growing on me if only because it's active even when the camera is off so you can see instantly how much battery life you have which is kind of handy.

I have never used the comp dial on my Fuji cameras. I only like it for the look.

I ve used exposure compensation a lot in my DSLR days but now with mirrorless I shoot in manual mode only which works well with the way I shoot

Personally I think the screen is a big bonus, I'd never buy a DSLR without one and really miss it on mirror less.

Can live without an exposure dial that can be easily adjusted by accident, there's a dedicated Exposure Comp button on the grip so you can use the real dial to adjust.

One of the few things I'd like to see on the X-T2 is a lock on the EC dial like there is on the ISO and SS dials. I love the way they can be either locked down or unlocked.

X-H1 has no appeal for me - not even my (usually rampant!) GAS. The only good thing about it might be the reduction in value of 2nd hand X-T2s as the market gets flooded with upgraded discards! Have to see what the X-T3 will bring to the table...

One of the few things I'd like to see on the X-T2 is a lock on the EC dial like there is on the ISO and SS dials. I love the way they can be either locked down or unlocked.

X-H1 has no appeal for me - not even my (usually rampant!) GAS. The only good thing about it might be the reduction in value of 2nd hand X-T2s as the market gets flooded with upgraded discards! Have to see what the X-T3 will bring to the table...

Wonder if we'll see the X-Pro 3 first like we did last time around... I'd like to see a higher resolution sensor, I know Fuji are probably trying to push those looking for high Res to the GFX but that's quite a steep cost jump!!

Saw a rumour suggesting the X-T3 will have up to 30mp, we shall see.

Don’t Sony do make the Fuji sensors? Would be surprised if we saw anything like 30mp before it went on one of their apsc cameras

Didn't Samsung have one around the 28mp mark?

Back