Fujifilm X-H1

I find it best to go with a friend. That friend can either help you justify your actions, or help you take the emotion out of a potential purchase. A "togging" buddy is only going to help with the first situation, the Mrs on the other hand... :D
LOL, if my Mrs saw how much I have spent on Sony gear she would probably leave me! And take the G Masters with her! :D :eek:

So what did you think to the Fuji X-H1 following your hands-on session today :D @addicknchips

It’s lovely. Didn’t have long with it as there was a small queue of people wanting to fondle it. Strangely the iso and shutter wheels are smaller than on the t2. The quiet shutter is ridiculous. Can barely hear it with the camera to your face.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting question....

Could the next generation X-T have this body with a full frame sensor (and no IBIS)? Now that they have the larger body out there.... Just a thought... :thinking:

Here's an interesting question....

Could the next generation X-T have this body with a full frame sensor (and no IBIS)? Now that they have the larger body out there.... Just a thought... :thinking:
Fujifilm have re-confirmed that they won't be entering the full-frame mirrorless market :)
The current XF lenses also do not cover the FF image circle, the costs would be too high imo.

Fujifilm have re-confirmed that they won't be entering the full-frame mirrorless market :)
The current XF lenses also do not cover the FF image circle, the costs would be too high imo.

It’s a shame. I’d be all over it. Had a look at the gfx today again lol

dare I go to Park cameras tomorrow for a “look”?
Stupidly did this today.
Even more stupidly they offered more on part exchange than MPB, and then Fuji offered to top it up by an additional £100.

I don’t need it, but I sure want it. Oh well, so long XT2 and hello XH1. Shutter is ridiculously quiet, AF is stupidly fast, IBIS gives stupidly sharp pics handheld.

Last edited:
Stupidly did this today.
Even more stupidly they offered more on part exchange than MPB, and then Fuji offered to top it up by an additional £100.

I don’t need need, but I sure want it. Oh well, so long XT2 and hello XH1. Shutter is ridiculously quiet, AF is stupidly fast, IBIS gives stupidly sharp pics handheld.
Congratulations on the new purchase [emoji16]

Stupidly did this today.

I don’t need it, but I sure want it. Oh well, so long XT2 and hello XH1. Shutter is ridiculously quiet, AF is stupidly fast, IBIS gives stupidly sharp pics handheld.

They have nailed the shutter system. Basically silent without all the issues that can arise with electronic shutter.

A few real world observations compared to my XT2 (and perhaps X-PRO2 / X100F) after playing around with the camera last night.
  1. It takes a little time to retrain your shutter finger muscle memory! The new shutter button is very very smooth - there's no physical halfway feeling, and I was initially firing off shots when I didn't mean to. Only took an hour or so to get used to it, but if you pick one up for the first time, you're going to be taking photos when you don't intent to.
  2. It doesn't really feel any bigger - at least not to me. Sure it's a lot deeper because of the grip, but the grip is still shorter than all the lenses I have, so no difference at all really. Similarly, doesn't feel any heavier. I know it's both, but not in a material way, and the grip is easy on the hands. That said, bolt on the extra grip and it does feel large obviously - I think I'll be using it without grip 90% of the time.
  3. The buttons are in better places - The Q button is out of the way and the AF-ON button works well for BBF. It's just a bit tidier. It will take some getting used to the button / dial for Exposure comp, but as much as I miss it, it's one less thing to check when as I was constantly knocking the old dial and having to reset.
  4. Is IBIS is pretty astounding - for me at least, first camera with it. My only willing model being our aged cat last night, I was getting tack sharp images handheld at 1/15 ISO 200 in next to no light with the 56 1.2; I feel like it's given new life to my primes and looking forward to trying it on the 90mm later. Pretty sure the smoothness of the shutter and the dampened mechanism is contributing to this too - not just IBIS.
  5. AF is better - very fast, especially in low light, where I remember the 56 being less than stellar, now it just locks on. It's also easier to focus in part because of the stabilisation, it's easier to get the smaller points onto the eyes etc and keep them there.
  6. The touch screen is great for reviewing - didn't miss it before I had it, but just swipe and a pinch to review now, so hell - why not.
  7. There are more shutter options than I care to understand at the moment - in fact there's quite a lot more options to understand and not just around Video (which has a bazillion options of it's own). I need to read the manual again.
  8. Because I sold the XT2, I can't run those images through X Raw Studio anymore as they are model specific - stupid design decision by Fuji, but not a huge loss as it was a horrible workflow anyway.
  9. The Camera throws a warning if you try to use WP126 (not S) batteries, including the ExPro clones (white and black) saying 'please use the WP126S as other batteries will run down quickly'; It still works though, and it didn't seem to run down particularly quickly - didn't even use one 'bar' while I was waiting for the OEM batteries to charge.
  10. Subjectively, it's a nice camera to hold (for my hand size) with a better layout and better buttons (no more Sugru). It feels less 'abrupt' to operate and you do really feel like you've stealthy squeezed out a shot with the shutter - makes no sense really, but you kind of sneak up on a photo rather than hitting it with a stick.
  11. It's fair to say I'm very happy.

Last edited:
A few real world observations compared to my XT2 (and perhaps X-PRO2 / X100F) after playing around with the camera last night.
  1. It takes a little time to retrain your shutter finger muscle memory! The new shutter button is very very smooth - there's no physical halfway feeling, and I was initially firing off shots when I didn't mean to. Only took an hour or so to get used to it, but if you pick one up for the first time, you're going to be taking photos when you don't intent to.
  2. It doesn't really feel any bigger - at least not to me. Sure it's a lot deeper because of the grip, but the grip is still shorter than all the lenses I have, so no difference at all really. Similarly, doesn't feel any heavier. I know it's both, but not in a material way, and the grip is easy on the hands. That said, bolt on the extra grip and it does feel large obviously - I think I'll be using it without grip 90% of the time.
  3. The buttons are in better places - The Q button is out of the way and the AF-ON button works well for BBF. It's just a bit tidier. It will take some getting used to the button / dial for Exposure comp, but as much as I miss it, it's one less thing to check when as I was constantly knocking the old dial and having to reset.
  4. Is IBIS is pretty astounding - for me at least, first camera with it. My only willing model being our aged cat last night, I was getting tack sharp images handheld at 1/15 ISO 200 in next to no light with the 56 1.2; I feel like it's given new life to my primes and looking forward to trying it on the 90mm later. Pretty sure the smoothness of the shutter and the dampened mechanism is contributing to this too - not just IBIS.
  5. AF is better - very fast, especially in low light, where I remember the 56 being less than stellar, now it just locks on. It's also easier to focus in part because of the stabilisation, it's easier to get the smaller points onto the eyes etc and keep them there.
  6. The touch screen is great for reviewing - didn't miss it before I had it, but just swipe and a pinch to review now, so hell - why not.
  7. There are more shutter options than I care to understand at the moment - in fact there's quite a lot more options to understand and not just around Video (which has a bazillion options of it's own). I need to read the manual again.
  8. Because I sold the XT2, I can't run those images through X Raw Studio anymore as they are model specific - stupid design decision by Fuji, but not a huge loss as it was a horrible workflow anyway.
  9. The Camera throws a warning if you try to use WP126 (not S) batteries, including the ExPro clones (white and black) saying 'please use the WP126S as other batteries will run down quickly'; It still works though, and it didn't seem to run down particularly quickly - didn't even use one 'bar' while I was waiting for the OEM batteries to charge.
  10. Subjectively, it's a nice camera to hold (for my hand size) with a better layout and better buttons (no more Sugru). It feels less 'abrupt' to operate and you do really feel like you've stealthy squeezed out a shot with the shutter - makes no sense really, but you kind of sneak up on a photo rather than hitting it with a stick.

First thing I changed in the shop was from continuous the single shot as I was firing off too many due to how sensitive the shutter release is

Thanks for this...you’re not helping...;):cool:

Yes please cease and desist, after reading these posts on the X-H1 I contacted MPB for a quote for my X-T2 and battery grip, they offered me more than they’re selling on here for. So it’s decision time :eek:

Point 1 would be a deal breaker for me - dodgy finger means that the positive 1/2 way stop is a NEED rather than just a WANT. Hope the X-T3 doesn't have this "upgrade".

Tried it, don't get on with it.

The thought of ibis with the 56 & 90 does appeal a lot and I've always liked top lcd's then add in the better af I'm sorely tempted.
But then I start thinking I could get a grey Sony A7R2 and a few manual lenses which would be nice for landscapes..... decisions decisions

£300 difference between the Fuji X-H1 and the Sony A7 III, not a big jump considering what you get extra for that £300.

Then add the glass costs into your man maths equation and suddenly is not quite as rosy....

Perhaps but you’d get the associated benefits of going full-frame, albeit at a cost.

However Fuji has great glass so its swings and roundabouts in terms of cost vs IQ.
I guess in reality it’s Nikon & Canon who should be more worried. :D

Depends what lenses you want. If buying new, Fuji lenses are bloody expensive.

So much cheaper than the Canon kit I used to use :)

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, but given I have a fair chunk of Fuji glass now, I’ll not switch for a while again.

Depends what lenses you want. If buying new, Fuji lenses are bloody expensive.

But not as expensive as Sony G Master, but then you could argue they are a step above Fuji lenses in terms of resolving power and light gathering capabilities etc.

But not as expensive as Sony G Master, but then you could argue they are a step above Fuji lenses in terms of resolving power and light gathering capabilities etc.

When you go to g master there is a massive element of diminishing returns.

But a fuji x-h1 with 35mm f1.4 & 56mm f1.2
Vs Sony a7iii with 55mm f1.8 & 85mm f1.8 are very close on price

When you go to g master there is a massive element of diminishing returns.

But a fuji x-h1 with 35mm f1.4 & 56mm f1.2
Vs Sony a7iii with 55mm f1.8 & 85mm f1.8 are very close on price

I have to agree, very hard choice. Both the 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 are excellent lenses.

Yes please cease and desist, after reading these posts on the X-H1 I contacted MPB for a quote for my X-T2 and battery grip, they offered me more than they’re selling on here for. So it’s decision time :eek:
I've PM'ed you the prices I got from MPB and Park Cameras for the same. If you use Park, you can also claim an additional £100 back from Fuji (after a 30 day wait).

Is it just me or are the advertised refurbished Fuji lenses advertised on their website pretty expensive/full dollar prices ?

Peter

Yeah some have increased in price by £150.
Used to be a great place to pick stuff up.

Thanks for that.

Do yo have to go into the menu to turn on/off IBIS? if yes, can you assign one of the buttons to quickly access it? is it available in the Q menu?
Thanks

Thanks for that.

Do yo have to go into the menu to turn on/off IBIS? if yes, can you assign one of the buttons to quickly access it? is it available in the Q menu?
Thanks

From what I can see you do need to go into the menus to change - you can assign it to 'My Menu' as a shortcut, but you can't assign it to one of the function buttons or the Q menu tiles.

A couple more questions if I may
1. Exposure bracketing is 3 frames or up to 9 as theX-T2?

2. Can you have separate RGB histogram.
A couple more questions if I may
1. Exposure bracketing is 3 frames or up to 9 as theX-T2?

2. Can you have separate RGB histogram.

Same bracketing as far as I can see from XT2, anything up to 9 and the histogram is split into 4 for review if thats what you mean.

Back