Fujifilm X-H1

Sometimes I don't find the number of shots a useful measure because if you are bursting you'll end with lot more shots than say shooting many long exposures with the same battery life. I have quite easily managed a full day on two batteries with intermittent shooting on X-H1. Can't say it's any better or worst that previous generation Sonys.

Were you trying to shoot lot of videos or anything by any chance? How were you shooting?

Always knew you were a fuji fan boy at heart

All my shots have been single shots, mainly landscapes. No video... not my thing :). I don't tend to take large numbers of photos at a time. Generally 50-100 in a day,

Having tweaked my camera to reduce battery consumption (except boost) I will see how I get on. I

That drain is not normal, no settling or settings involved, that camera is faulty. Unlikely both genuine batteries are at fault.

That drain is not normal, no settling or settings involved, that camera is faulty. Unlikely both genuine batteries are at fault.

Yes that is my view too. Now I am back from Ireland I will be sorting out a replacement camera.

Contacted e-infinity with a polite email stating I was suffering from poor battery performance, despite shutting most functions down and this is their response:

Thank you for the email.

Battery life of the battery depends on a lot of factors, if you are using the LCD a lot, it could also reduce the number of shots that you can take.

However you may bring the unit to a local camera shop for a check. If they confirm the camera is faulty and are able to repair the unit for you at a reasonable cost, we are happy to reimburse you with the fees.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
CS Team
E-infinity

IOh, they heard from me again lol I have told them that their response was nor good enough. No local camera dealer or Fujifilm UK are likely to want to deal with me (quite rightly too ! ) and that I want a replacement camera, not send it back to them and wait for weeks without a camera whilst they maybe or maybe not repair it or replace it... I await a reply from them.

Contacted e-infinity with a polite email stating I was suffering from poor battery performance, despite shutting most functions down and this is their response:

Thank you for the email.

Battery life of the battery depends on a lot of factors, if you are using the LCD a lot, it could also reduce the number of shots that you can take.

However you may bring the unit to a local camera shop for a check. If they confirm the camera is faulty and are able to repair the unit for you at a reasonable cost, we are happy to reimburse you with the fees.

Regards,
CS Team
E-infinity

IOh, they heard from me again lol I have told them that their response was nor good enough. No local camera dealer or Fujifilm UK are likely to want to deal with me (quite rightly too ! ) and that I want a replacement camera, not send it back to them and wait for weeks without a camera whilst they maybe or maybe not repair it or replace it... I await a reply from them.

How long have you owned it? If they dont want to play ball chat with your credit card company.

The camera was posted out to me at the very end of June so I received it a month ago.. I did actually buy it using my credit card so thanks for the suggestion... I will see what sort of response I get first...

The camera was posted out to me at the very end of June so I received it a month ago.. I did actually buy it using my credit card so thanks for the suggestion... I will see what sort of response I get first...

Yeah, because its over 2 weeks I think a replacement is unlikely and they'll want to repair or at least get it checked out first, they are honouring their T&Cs, maybe they will exchange if the camera shop says its manufacturer faulty..... a camera repair company won't know if its grey or not, Fuji UK likely would but they will repair at cost if there is a fault, its just that if it was a UK model Fuji wouldn't have charged, it seems like einfin will cover the (reasonable) cost though. Just some hassle for you.

Thank you for the email.

Regards,
CS Team
E-infinity

as twist said the shops and Fuji UK will deal with you at a charge which einifinity will reimburse.

I had a similar problem with a used A6000 I bought off ebay. After couple days a capacitor inside camera blew and I could smell the smoke from inside the camera!!
So if you are absolutely sure its the body and not the battery at fault I suggest you stop using the body all together and remove the battery from the body immediately.

Yeah, because its over 2 weeks I think a replacement is unlikely and they'll want to repair or at least get it checked out first, they are honouring their T&Cs, maybe they will exchange if the camera shop says its manufacturer faulty..... a camera repair company won't know if its grey or not, Fuji UK likely would but they will repair at cost if there is a fault, its just that if it was a UK model Fuji wouldn't have charged, it seems like einfin will cover the (reasonable) cost though. Just some hassle for you.
as twist said the shops and Fuji UK will deal with you at a charge which einifinity will reimburse.

I had a similar problem with a used A6000 I bought off ebay. After couple days a capacitor inside camera blew and I could smell the smoke from inside the camera!!
So if you are absolutely sure its the body and not the battery at fault I suggest you stop using the body all together and remove the battery from the body immediately.

Thanks for this..I just assumed they wouldn't deal with me... I am sure I read recently of some one like Fuji or Sony refusing to deal with Grey imports.. As you say it is hassle I could do without.. I will see what e-infinity come back with as I have demanded a replacement. This last week was my first time using the camera regularly.

It is not performing with 3 original Fuji batteries.. Interesting about the capacitor. I get a whining noise all the time I have the camera switched on. I Googled it and someone had asked about the same noise and had been told it was the IBIS working... I have IBIS set to focus only and it still whines when I am not using it (until it auto powers down after 15 seconds).

Does anyone know of a good camera repairer?

Might be worth sending an email to Fuji service, I had a problem with an import camera and when I explained the problem I was having all they asked for was the serial number. They then arranged postage both ways and carried out the repair with no cost.
No proof of purchase was asked for and they didn't ask where it came from.

Might be worth sending an email to Fuji service, I had a problem with an import camera and when I explained the problem I was having all they asked for was the serial number. They then arranged postage both ways and carried out the repair with no cost.

Thats cool, @trevjm worth a go!

Thanks for this..I just assumed they wouldn't deal with me... I am sure I read recently of some one like Fuji or Sony refusing to deal with Grey imports.. As you say it is hassle I could do without.. I will see what e-infinity come back with as I have demanded a replacement. This last week was my first time using the camera regularly.

It is not performing with 3 original Fuji batteries.. Interesting about the capacitor. I get a whining noise all the time I have the camera switched on. I Googled it and someone had asked about the same noise and had been told it was the IBIS working... I have IBIS set to focus only and it still whines when I am not using it (until it auto powers down after 15 seconds).

Dont use it. Could be dangerous.

Thanks. I will contact them as suggested.

Does anyone know of a good camera repairer?
These are the people HDEW use for their warranty repairs and I believe they have a good reputation.

https://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/

Worth calling Fuji UK too and asking if they would do it as a paid job.

To be honest even UK retailers hide behind the b******t "we have to send it back to the manufacturer" line after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
The constant noise from the ibis is normal for the x/h1
He said he had turned it off and it still made the same noise.

I would suggest a couple more tests but I am afraid he'll blow something inside the camera don't my tests. :facepalm:

Last edited:
He said he had turned it off and it still made the same noise.

I would suggest a couple more tests but I am afraid he'll blow something inside the camera don't my tests. :facepalm:

Soz missed the last line in brackets

Guys, can I just thank you all for your input and assistance. Very kind of you all.... and much appreciated.

Do you get the noise continuously when the camera is set to "shooting only"
IBIS is always 'on' even if you've told it not to do anything. It's just holding the sensor still.
So you will always hear it working regardless of any setting.

Could your charger be faulty? Are you charging in camera via USB or via the external charger?

IBIS is always 'on' even if you've told it not to do anything. It's just holding the sensor still.

So what benefit do you get by setting the IBIS to focus only? if it is already working to keep the sensor still you might as well leave it in Continuous Mode .... or am I being as thick as ever lol

So what benefit do you get by setting the IBIS to focus only? if it is already working to keep the sensor still you might as well leave it in Continuous Mode .... or am I being as thick as ever lol
The only benefit is the camera is 'thinking' less, so drawing less power to the processor and probably marginally less power holding something still than moving it around.
I've left mine as continuous to be honest. The only consideration to power saving is to turn the camera off when I lower it and on when I raise it to my eye - been doing that for years even with DSLR, and startup time is so fast now, it's never a issue.
I've yet to use a full battery in a day so far, so something is odd with your setup.

Have you tried a factory reset etc?

The only benefit is the camera is 'thinking' less, so drawing less power to the processor and probably marginally less power holding something still than moving it around.
I've left mine as continuous to be honest. The only consideration to power saving is to turn the camera off when I lower it and on when I raise it to my eye - been doing that for years even with DSLR, and startup time is so fast now, it's never a issue.
I've yet to use a full battery in a day so far, so something is odd with your setup.

Have you tried a factory reset etc?

Not something I have done so far. Having tweaked everything I am reluctant to do so but I probably should do so.....

Turning the camera off and back on again is something I am starting to get into the habit of doing.

Last edited:
Not something I have done so far. Having tweaked everything I am reluctant to do so but I probably should do so.....

Turning the camera off and back on again is something I am starting to get into the habit of doing.

Worth a try. Can’t carry on with it in its current state

Had a great day yesterday at Camera World Live Brands Hatch, was very lucky to spend some time with Jeff Carter of Maclean Photographic and a Fuji Ambassador, a top top motorsport photographer and also a top guy, nothing was too much trouble, got some great advice and tips, a real inspiration. Some interesting stories about the development of the XT-2 and XH-1, he goes to Japan and talks to the engineers about what photographers want on new models and much of it was implemented on the XH-1. Speaks very highly of Fuji and their commitment to improving existing models via firmware.

Brands-9 by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-1 by PDP, on Flickr

Tordoff by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-5 by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-4 by PDP, on Flickr

Had a great day yesterday at Camera World Live Brands Hatch, was very lucky to spend some time with Jeff Carter of Maclean Photographic and a Fuji Ambassador, a top top motorsport photographer and also a top guy, nothing was too much trouble, got some great advice and tips, a real inspiration. Some interesting stories about the development of the XT-2 and XH-1, he goes to Japan and talks to the engineers about what photographers want on new models and much of it was implemented on the XH-1. Speaks very highly of Fuji and their commitment to improving existing models via firmware.

Brands-9 by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-1 by PDP, on Flickr

Tordoff by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-5 by PDP, on Flickr

Brands-4 by PDP, on Flickr

Nice. Like the last 2 the most.
Chatting to those reps is dangerous. I nearly came out of park cameras with a gfx after chatting with a rep.

Nice. Like the last 2 the most.
Chatting to those reps is dangerous. I nearly came out of park cameras with a gfx after chatting with a rep.
Thanks Jon, wallet was in the pocket, managed to resist a 90mm and 100-400mm.

Agreed. That's how it was when I had Olympus too. Some people could hear it, others were unaware.

But the battery drain is a worry.

So ... I’m thinking of getting a XH1, for mainly landscape photography. A question is, how balanced is the 16-55 WR lens compared with the 18-55? I don’t want the grip, btw. Can’t stand them.

Last edited:
The 16-55 feels so much better on the X-H1, better than on the xt-2, but that's down to the better grip, the thicker body, and of course, the ibis stability. Though with the extra grip, it's even better imho.

Back