Fujifilm X-H1

I want one, seriously.

I’ve just spent the past hour reading the entire thread from start to finish.

Having owned several Fuji cameras my concern would be the AF performance. AF on the x100, x100t and the x-Pro1 was terrible, seriously terrible. How much has it moved on?

I haven’t had my current kit long but it’s already setting off my back issues. I took the camera out last weekend and I’ve been on pain killers ever since (serious not joking). I’ll probably lose a ton of cash switching but selling my current camera and lenses could fund a serious amount of Fuji kit.

Crikey. Didn’t see this coming. I’ll be keeping a close eye on any replies.

I want one, seriously.

Having owned several Fuji cameras my concern would be the AF performance. AF on the x100, x100t and the x-Pro1 was terrible, seriously terrible. How much has it moved on?

I haven’t had my current kit long but it’s already setting off my back issues. I took the camera out last weekend and I’ve been on pain killers ever since (serious not joking). I’ll probably lose a ton of cash switching but selling my current camera and lenses could fund a serious amount of Fuji kit.

The af is on the xh1 is brilliant. Don’t let this be a concern.
The camera isn’t small though. What kit do you have currently?

I want one, seriously.

The H1 isn't that much smaller or lighter than a "normal" DSLR. When I switched to Fuji, the X-T2 and 100-400 were a big difference to my 7D2 & Sigma 150-600. And a T2 with 10-24 was lighter & smaller than my 6D with 17-40 attached. I'm looking at an H2 to go with my 100-400 & 1.4TC for wildlife. I would go into a photography store with your current set up, and then pick up & try both the H1 & the T2 and see how they feel, for both weight & size. If you are venturing into video, the H1 will be a better option.

I want one, seriously.

AF won't be a problem - My original X100 is about as effective as a potato as far as Autofocus whereas the X-H1 is super fast :)

If you were starting a fresh with Fuji what lenses would you buy and why?

Which would you avoid?

Which would you avoid?

How long is a piece of sting?

There are no "poor" lenses in the range really. The 60mm is a bit cheap in construction compared to most, but it is effective in what it does. Do you prefer zooms or prime lenses? Most of the primes are excellent, those of special note, 16mm f1.4, 56mm 1.2, the 80mm f2.8, and the stunning 90mm. Zooms, the 10-24 is highly regarded, the "kit" 18-55 is above average for a kit lens, the 50-140 is outstanding, and the 100-400 is also excellent. I have no experience of the 18-135, but it has a lot of followers.

Not much help really was I :oops: :$

Which would you avoid?
I can only share my journey for you to pick and choose from!
  • I started with the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 which I bought with the XPRO2 camera.
  • I added the 90mm next
  • I needed something shorter with Weather Resistance as I was doing a shoot in light rain, so added the 35/2
  • Then I got fed up swapping lenses so I bought the 16-55 Zoom
  • The having been bit by the Zoom bug, I got the 50-140 too with 1.4xTC as I wanted to shots of the Mrs running her marathons.
  • At some point in here I swapped the XT2 and XPro2 for the XH1
  • Most recently I wanted to try something different - looking for inspiration I suppose so I got the 80mm

At the moment - on the XH1, I've not used the zooms much, in fact I don't think the 50-140 has even been on it. The primes have a new lease of life, especially the 90mm now we have IBIS, and the 56mm now the AF is so good, and the 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and 90/2 have been my go to lenses in my carry bag and I would not hesitate to buy again. They are also relatively small and light, even if they are the 'older' Fuji tech. Its the <2.8 render and the weight that's pulling me towards them at the moment.

I very rarely use the 35mm f2 - Only for the one shoot in the rain (the 23/1.4 and the 56/1.2 are no weather sealed). I would not buy that again, but is it very very small and super fast to focus.

The 2.8 zooms are nice, but hey are heavy. Of the two, the 16-55f/2.8 is the one I will pickup if I need more flexibility and the light is good. I'll only take the 50-140/2.8 if I know I will need the reach. Both are great, I'd buy both again but after the primes.I will at some point flip back to preferring the zooms and then flip back to primes later - it's a never ending cycle for me!

With the 80mm, it's too soon to tell. Great for macro obviously, but big. I can see me using this in the garden / at flower shows, but not taking as a general lens even though it is probably little sharper than the 90mm, it does lose a bit in terms of the render of the 90/f/2 - I'd pick the 90mm over the 80mm if I had to choose.

I also have the obligatory adapted Helios 44/2 and the 8mm Samyang, both of which are cool but of very limited use :)

All the Fuji lenses are optically good (even the XC ones), the oldest lenses 18/35f1.4/60 are a little slow to focus, but this is more noticeable on older bodies.

If you were being picky you'd say the 18mm is the worst prime, but it's. Dry compact and the 18-135 isn't as sharp as the other XF zooms but it makes up for it with WR and superb OIS

You just need to decide whether you want to prime or zoom, and whether you want WR not.

IMI the outstanding primes are

XF16mm (possibly sharpest prime)
XF23mm either version F1.4 or F2, both superb general purpose lenses
XF90mm just something special

Canon 1DX Mark II

I think you’ll be making big compromises in key areas by moving to a Fuji from a Canon 1DX Mark II, but I guess it depends if you can live with them.

What lenses do you have?

Personally I’d be looking at the Sony A7 III or A9 but it’s dependant on what lenses you need to determine total weight / size savings over your Canon setup.

Last edited:
I think you’ll be making big compromises in key areas by moving to a Fuji from a Canon 1DX Mark II, but I guess it depends if you can live with them.
Personally I’d be looking at the Sony A7 III or A9 but it’s dependant on what lenses you need.

But his issue was weight. The Sony won’t help with that when you consider glass. Fuji glass is much smaller and lighter as you know.

But his issue was weight. The Sony won’t help with that when you consider glass. Fuji glass is much smaller and lighter as you know.

Guess it depends on the lenses, the A7 III / A9 is still a big weight and size saving over a Canon 1DX Mark II.

If weight is a issue I’d go Olympus M4/3 with their Pro lenses instead of Fuji tbh.

Last edited:
I started my Fuji X system off with the XPro1Body XF18mm f2.0 & 27mm f2.8 after that came the XF 18-135mm followed by the Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye XT10 body was next on the bucket list. I then picked up a XA2 with XC 16-50mm build quality isn’t bad the weakest part on both the XC lenses is the plastic mount but opticaly they are super and fantastic value for money.
I since then added numerous bodies and is easier to list what is missing from my lens line up I DONT own XF 16-55mm f2.8 or theXF80-200mm the XF23mm, XF50mm f2.0, or the XF80mmf2.8 macro.
I do own the Carl Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 though :) and have numerous manual adapters for my Arsenal of older mf/af lenses
My most used are the XC16-50mm f3.5 the XF 18-135mm and the XF 10-24mm my 56mm f1.2 APD is probably my most used prime along with Samyang 8mm f2.8 Fisheye

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I’ve decided to stick with the Canon full frame body for now. I just need to strengthen my core and back :)

Thanks all.

I’ve decided to stick with the Canon full frame body for now. I just need to strengthen my core and back :)
A wise decision John imo the trouble with changing any system is the BIG hit you take with financial loss.:( there isn’t a lot between any system they will all do the job for you it’s usually just the handling and ease of setting that tends to sway folk.
I haven’t yet used my XH1 very much but I’m really happy with what I have got from it:)
And should I feel the need for a change Istill have Nikon Olympus and Canon systems to choose from :runaway::LOL:

Last edited:
John I’m not sure what lenses you own and use but perhaps just taking one zoom lens or even a prime could work for you it’s a great disciplinary ?

I have four lenses (all my primes are gone):

16-35 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
100mm Macro f2.8

I’m out around Liverpool today with the whole lot in a large Manfrotto bag and I’ve been fine. I guess good weight distribution makes a real difference.

A wise decision John imo the trouble with changing any system is the BIG hit you take with financial loss.:(

Maybe changing often costs a lot but sometimes it doesn't actually cost all that much. When I sold all my Canon gear off I sold some lenses for more than I paid for them. OK, we can't always do that and maybe sometimes we wont even come close to getting a decent price but it's always worth checking what stuff is going for on the used market before automatically assuming that changing systems is going to cost too much.

I found my keeper rate with the 56mm on the xh1 increased over on other Fuji cameras.
Have you found the 56mm to be slightly faster focussing ? mine appears a lot snappier :)

Have you found the 56mm to be slightly faster focussing ? mine appears a lot snappier :)
For me it was one of the first things I noticed. I put it down to the fact that I mainly use it in 'lower' light, and the algorithm is supposedly improved. But for me yes, a lot quicker.

Ok, not sure if this is GAS or not. Been offered a decent deal from MPB for my XT-2 and 23 1.4 in return for an XH-1. Now I don’t use video ever, but the IBIS is swaying me. I’d be left with the 16-55 and 56 lenses. Do I need the IBIS? Is there a significant difference between the XH-1 and XT-2? How intuitive is it compared to the XT?

Ok, not sure if this is GAS or not. Been offered a decent deal from MPB for my XT-2 and 23 1.4 in return for an XH-1. Now I don’t use video ever, but the IBIS is swaying me. I’d be left with the 16-55 and 56 lenses. Do I need the IBIS? Is there a significant difference between the XH-1 and XT-2? How intuitive is it compared to the XT?

For me it’s really comfortable to hold. I love the battery grip too. Ibis is the icing on the cake. It’s a great camera. It’s super quiet and a joy to use.

Is it worth the cost of an xt2 and a 23mm? I guess depends if you are using the 23mm often or think the 16-55 will cover it.

I’m annoyed about the battery situation though. Now get less shots than i would on the xt2.
I also don’t like how you can hear the ibis system working. If you’ve used the 50-140 it’s a similar level of noise.

For me it’s really comfortable to hold. I love the battery grip too. Ibis is the icing on the cake. It’s a great camera. It’s super quiet and a joy to use.

Is it worth the cost of an xt2 and a 23mm? I guess depends if you are using the 23mm often or think the 16-55 will cover it.

I’m annoyed about the battery situation though. Now get less shots than i would on the xt2.
I also don’t like how you can hear the ibis system working. If you’ve used the 50-140 it’s a similar level of noise.

Are the batteries different to the XT? I have five extras so that would be a consideration too. I’m liking the idea of more real estate as I do have large hands.
Edit- I use the 16-55 more than any other lens. Plus I’m on the lookout for a 50-140

Last edited:
Are the batteries different to the XT? I have five extras so that would be a consideration too. I’m liking the idea of more real estate as I do have large hands.
Edit- I use the 16-55 more than any other lens. Plus I’m on the lookout for a 50-140
Same batteries, but only the 'S' variant, so any 3rd party batteries, while they will work, you'll get a warning about discharging quicker than the NP-W126S supplied.
I've not particularly noted a difference, but then I rarely run the batteries down anyway with my style of shooting. There will be a difference as there's more to power.

Same batteries but get less shots per charge compared to the xt.

Go treat yourself! :)

has anybody tried the x-h1 for motorsport considering selling my canon gear due to the weight difference.

Same batteries but get less shots per charge compared to the xt.

Go treat yourself! :)

I’m seriously considering it but I have a shoot in two weeks and I’m concerned I may not know the camera as well as I do the XT

I’m seriously considering it but I have a shoot in two weeks and I’m concerned I may not know the camera as well as I do the XT

Minus the exposure compensation change it shouldn’t feel much different.

has anybody tried the x-h1 for motorsport considering selling my canon gear due to the weight difference.

I have and I think its pretty good, it certainly better then the X-T2 but thats before the latest fimware update the T2 got I haven't tried one since.
Is it as good as DSLR that going to depend on what your shooting with now, I just to shoot with a D500 and a Nikon 300mm f2.8 and its not as good as that to be honest. But thats a rather unfair comparison and its certainly a lot lighter.
Im no writer but I did write a few ramblings about here https://www.grahamnortonphotography.com/blog/british-superbikes-with-the-fuji-x-h1

I have and I think its pretty good, it certainly better then the X-T2 but thats before the latest fimware update the T2 got I haven't tried one since.
Is it as good as DSLR that going to depend on what your shooting with now, I just to shoot with a D500 and a Nikon 300mm f2.8 and its not as good as that to be honest. But thats a rather unfair comparison and its certainly a lot lighter.
Im no writer but I did write a few ramblings about here https://www.grahamnortonphotography.com/blog/british-superbikes-with-the-fuji-x-h1

graham thanks for the very helpful rely i just read that link i would be happy with images like those very nice fair play and the settings will come in handy aswell.ive not owned a fuji camera before but i had a look at the x-t2 and the x-h1 in a camera shop..bad mistake lol.

Back