Fujifilm X-H1

I took the X-H1 for a walk around the town last night, these are just images SOOC, no real artistic merit, to show the "Ibis" influence when hand holding. The first one is with the 16-55 f2.8 and the other two with the 90 f2.

View attachment 133042

View attachment 133043

View attachment 133041

Ibis is mocked by many. But genuinely is a benefit. Fuji resisted it for a while, even claiming it wasn’t possible on x mount for a while. Now with Olympus, Sony, Nikon and Fuji all using it it’s pretty much becoming a standard expected feature. Will be annoying if they leave it out of the xt3.

:)So how you finding battery life on XH1 ?
Although I retired from Professional photography a few years ago I shot a friends wedding full day and evening yesterday with a pair of XH1s
First camera i.e. XH1 940 = 470 jpg and RAF frames and less than 1 Barrr decrease in Battery 1 other 2 batteries show full :)(y)
2nd XH1 body 1774 = 887 frames of jpg & RAF files used 1 full battery plus 1 Barr on 2nd battery :)(y) I'm more than happy with that as I wasn't turning camera off in between shot as recommended by some reviewers
So how are other shooters finding battery life.
I Used a variety of 4 lenses XF10-24mm and XF 18-135mm Reception XF16-55mm & XF50-140mm and occasionally used Godox TT350F speedlights.

Last edited:
Ibis is mocked by many. But genuinely is a benefit. Fuji resisted it for a while, even claiming it wasn’t possible on x mount for a while. Now with Olympus, Sony, Nikon and Fuji all using it it’s pretty much becoming a standard expected feature. Will be annoying if they leave it out of the xt3.

I wouldn't be surprised if the XT3 was positioned below the current XT2 so as to avoid competition with the XH1 - so, maybe no IBIS for the T3. Apparently, the T3 will be made in China. I'm very happy with my T2 and can't see me upgrading for a fair while - it's far more competent than I am.

Very good, averaging 900-1000 shots, I do a lot of bursts though. On more "normal" usage still getting around 550-600

Hence I'm more than happy that Fuji didn't change the battery type and they are compatible with my other X Cameras :):fuji:

So how you finding battery life on XH1 ?

I haven't really had it long enough to know yet, but so far it seems no worse than the X-T1 and that is with the Ibis on continuous. I'm using the same settings as I did on the X-T1, eye EVF only, sleep after 1 minute, switching off if more than 5 minutes between shots and not viewing every shot on the lcd. I've found that it's the latter which definitely shortens battery life.

Battery life so far seems similar to all my previous cameras. However, I have yet to change a battery during the day. It is rare for me to take more than 200 shots a day even on a photogenic holiday. I shoot as if I was still using film. I observe much, capture little, discard few. And still my shots are cr@p! :D

Experienced my first lock up last night. I was using WI-FI to send a few pictures to my phone.

Turned of the App and the camera bricked.

Removing the battery and reinsert cured it.

Making me think about returning it.

My first one (a dubious refurb from the Fuji store) locked up whenever I fitted a manual lens. Fuji rapidly refunded.

I don’t think it had actually been through any technicians hands as it was set to Italian when I received it.

My first one (a dubious refurb from the Fuji store) locked up whenever I fitted a manual lens. Fuji rapidly refunded.

I don’t think it had actually been through any technicians hands as it was set to Italian when I received it.

I can only speak from my own experience but both bodies performed faultless unlike the user behind it :LOL:

:)So how you finding battery life on XH1 ?
Although I retired from Professional photography a few years ago I shot a friends wedding full day and evening yesterday with a pair of XH1s
First camera i.e. XH1 940 = 470 jpg and RAF frames and less than 1 Barrr decrease in Battery 1 other 2 batteries show full :)(y)
2nd XH1 body 1774 = 887 frames of jpg & RAF files used 1 full battery plus 1 Barr on 2nd battery :)(y) I'm more than happy with that as I wasn't turning camera off in between shot as recommended by some reviewers
So how are other shooters finding battery life.
I Used a variety of 4 lenses XF10-24mm and XF 18-135mm Reception XF16-55mm & XF50-140mm and occasionally used Godox TT350F speedlights.

I’ll go against the status quo here and say that I think Fuji missed an opportunity to introduce a bigger, more powerful battery. X-h1 is meant to be workhorse beast that’s rugged design appeals more to the working photographer. Something performing with similar to what the latest Sony one would have been ideal. Being able to put 3 of those into the camer/grip would have further given the xh more separation from the other Fuji models.

I’m sure new battery tech will be coming to fuji - and perhaps even in the soon to be announced xt3. People will need to think about having to buy new batteries soon enough.

I’ll go against the status quo here and say that I think Fuji missed an opportunity to introduce a bigger, more powerful battery. X-h1 is meant to be workhorse beast that’s rugged design appeals more to the working photographer. Something performing with similar to what the latest Sony one would have been ideal. Being able to put 3 of those into the camer/grip would have further given the xh more separation from the other Fuji models.

I’m sure new battery tech will be coming to fuji - and perhaps even in the soon to be announced xt3. People will need to think about having to buy new batteries soon enough.

Yeah the battery thing is a strange one, I get why they didn’t want to change it (as most folk already have at least 6 for their existing cameras!) but if Sony have done it, Fuji are really going to have to follow suit.

Really nice Fujigraph Sir, beautiful colours, well composed, and a good use of aperture giving a nice oof background.(y)

George.

Super. It’s a fab lens. Begs to be shot wide open.
Thank you kind sirs. It’s an honour to have you take the trouble to comment.

Shoot. Probably gonna return mine. Just locked up for the second time. All I did was turn it on.

Possibly teaching you suck eggs, but 'most' lock ups have been attributed to memory cards not on the recommended list in the manual. The X-H1 seems much more sensitive to this than other Fuji X cameras.

Thanks. I'm using cards on the recommended list. Fuji and Sandisk.

Shoot. Probably gonna return mine. Just locked up for the second time. All I did was turn it on.
That dispels the myth that it’s the grip not seated properly as you don’t have one. Have you deleted any files on the memory card via computer then put them back in the camera ? I know if you do that on a Mac it can cause problems, had that with my XT2, after formatting again in camera all was well. Not had a single issue with my XH-1.

That dispels the myth that it’s the grip not seated properly as you don’t have one. Have you deleted any files on the memory card via computer then put them back in the camera ? I know if you do that on a Mac it can cause problems, had that with my XT2, after formatting again in camera all was well. Not had a single issue with my XH-1.

Thanks Pete. Nope..

Yeah the battery thing is a strange one, I get why they didn’t want to change it (as most folk already have at least 6 for their existing cameras!) but if Sony have done it, Fuji are really going to have to follow suit.

Yeah but it was annoying when Sony did it. I had like 12 old style ones at one point. I slowly sold them but soon they'll all be worthless and no one will want to buy bodies that use those hence reducing used prices of bodies using the older bodies. All in all annoying.
Carrying spares is not a big deal for most people especially those who are already doing it i.e. your existing customer base.

I am all for manufactures making upgrades easy. I wonder if you can make a battery adapter for older batteries for those who have truck load of them :D

Last edited:
Just spoken to WEX. It’s going back for exchange.

regardless of weight, I’d rather carry 4 than 15 of something.

Even Fuji’s own marketing is aimed at carrying less gear. Rumour is the x-t3 will ship late September. If they have new battery tech in that I personally would be annoyed if I had the xh1.

Interesting in the D500 v X-H1 review in September Digital Camera Magazine, in mixed shooting modes with a lot of live view, it was the D500 battery that gave up first.......

I've always found the Fuji batteries to be good if you really exercise them, but if your trady (!) taking a few shots here and there, they don't seem to last as long. Obviously the running of the IBIS will mean that their performance is less than an X-T2.

That all said I don't think I've ever used more than 4 batteries in a day and that's included a 20 hour marathon in Whitby earlier in the year!!

regardless of weight, I’d rather carry 4 than 15 of something.

Even Fuji’s own marketing is aimed at carrying less gear. Rumour is the x-t3 will ship late September. If they have new battery tech in that I personally would be annoyed if I had the xh1.

then why not just carry a powerbank which is one of something!

Just saw this on a thread at dpreview, pretty spot on with regards to the XH-1 vs XT-3 debate.

"25% thicker magnesium body. Seriously reinforced lens mount. Virtually silent shutter, spring mounted (not directly related to IBIS), with seriously professional MTTF numbers. Bigger grip (obviously some prefer that). More durable exterior finish. And, as you mention, the in-body image stabilization - which is nothing to toss off lightly, IMO. It has given me three phenomenal new lenses, the 16-55, 90 and 56. Game changer for the kind of work I do.

It is a significantly more robust camera with a different form factor.

The X-T3 will most likely be the same general construction level as the X-T2.

If you handle and shoot an X-H1 you’ll see and feel the differences immediately. Whether those differences are meaningful for the work you do, only you can say.

For me, though I loved my X-T1 and X-T2, the X-H1 is the best “handling” camera I’ve ever owned and I’ve own a bunch of them in the past 50 years."

Just saw this on a thread at dpreview, pretty spot on with regards to the XH-1 vs XT-3 debate.

"25% thicker magnesium body. Seriously reinforced lens mount. Virtually silent shutter, spring mounted (not directly related to IBIS), with seriously professional MTTF numbers. Bigger grip (obviously some prefer that). More durable exterior finish. And, as you mention, the in-body image stabilization - which is nothing to toss off lightly, IMO. It has given me three phenomenal new lenses, the 16-55, 90 and 56. Game changer for the kind of work I do.

It is a significantly more robust camera with a different form factor.

The X-T3 will most likely be the same general construction level as the X-T2.

If you handle and shoot an X-H1 you’ll see and feel the differences immediately. Whether those differences are meaningful for the work you do, only you can say.

For me, though I loved my X-T1 and X-T2, the X-H1 is the best “handling” camera I’ve ever owned and I’ve own a bunch of them in the past 50 years."

Personally I can't see the X-T3 being such a step up from the X-T2 unlike the X-T2 was over the X-T1, unless the new sensor is astonishing and offers better IQ and a better dynamic range. All the rest of the X-T3 enhancements are just fiddling with the edges. The functionality of the X-T2/X-H1 from a photographers point of view is superb.

If though the sensor is really a step up, the inevitable X-H2 will be superb.

We won't have long to wait (for the X-T3 that is), and I'd expect to see the X-H2 less than 12 months after X-T3 release.

Interesting in the D500 v X-H1 review in September Digital Camera Magazine, in mixed shooting modes with a lot of live view, it was the D500 battery that gave up first.......

I've always found the Fuji batteries to be good if you really exercise them, but if your trady (!) taking a few shots here and there, they don't seem to last as long. Obviously the running of the IBIS will mean that their performance is less than an X-T2.

That all said I don't think I've ever used more than 4 batteries in a day and that's included a 20 hour marathon in Whitby earlier in the year!!
I find that I tend to need to put a freshly-charged battery in BEFORE I go out ; mine run down in the house rather than out shooting!

So, have I left it too late to get an XH-1 at a bargain £440 off price - LCE did have a similar offer in store a couple of weeks ago and I've not had that email from Wex despite me looking at lots of Fuji stuff over the last few days..

So, have I left it too late to get an XH-1 at a bargain £440 off price - LCE did have a similar offer in store a couple of weeks ago and I've not had that email from Wex despite me looking at lots of Fuji stuff over the last few days..

Give WEX a call.

Back