Fujifilm X-H1

That's it, I'm sold. My only concern was the AF speed. But I am sure it will be fine for what I am using it for, my 85mm 1.2L Canon was fine, so I see this as being at least that quick.

its faster than the canon. and on the latest fuji bodies its not all that slow tbf. it won't win any awards for tracking fast moving subjects but for standard portraiture i don't find it slow at all.

horses for courses. if you need the reach and some flexibility, the 50-140 is a great option. optically i think the 90mm is a class above though.

there is something wonderfully smooth about the rendering of the 90 though it doesn't necessarily show itself in every image. I can't afford both and while the 90 is probably the best lens I ever owned, it's not long enough for a mountain landscape telephoto, never mind the odd wildlife photo where 140 sharpness is good enough to allow considerable cropping. The zoom can't completely replace it but upgrading from the 55-200 was becoming a priority as I've found mediocre light AF rather hit and miss and longer distance landscapes are always much crisper with the 50-140

Well my two new lenses arrived today, and for the time being (famous last words), I think my Fuji kit is now complete.

Fujifilm X-H1 body with Grip
Fujifilm 16-55 F2.8 WR
Fujifilm 10-24 F4 OIS
Fujifilm 55-200 F3.5-4.8 OIS
Fujifilm 35mm F2 WR

So I now have every focal length from 15 mm to 300 mm (FF Equivalent) and a small light prime for low light work. I'd like to stop there as over the years I went a bit mental with my Micro four thirds kit (must post an image of the kit when I get the time), and I just want to stick to the basics on Fuji for now.

Here it all is:

hmm...now what about the 23mm F1.4, 56mm F1.2, 90mm F2, 100-400 f5.6, X-T3 etc.......:D:D

Yeah, nice but that 23 f1.4...lush...oh, and the 56...

Yes David, initial impressions are excellent. Focussing is lightning-fast, it balances well on the H1, and the colours have a certain crispness - difficult to define, but certainly a cut above the 18-55. And that's using Lightroom, as my trial of the Fuji version of C1 has been curtailed by me as it refuses to open and stay open.

I've always been a bit sceptical about the 16-55 as reviews, while generally positive, are somewhat mixed. More to the point is that for an actual hiking kit, I tend to want a wide-angle and telezoom + a small and light 50mm in old money to bridge the gap. Adding a standard zoom like that would put me over my weight limit. On the other hand with an IBIS body (not currently in my plans but will await the X-H2), the 16-55 might could be a good single carry around lens. Would prefer to see how good the 16-80 is first though. I'm hoping it's better than the 18-55 but of course there's absolutely no guarantee of that!

David

I had the 50-140, swapped it for my first 90, sold that then bought another. Good as the 50-140 is, which is to say superb, it was just too long for my normal needs. Agree with Pete - given a choice I would have both.

I believe you can get pills for that ailment Sir, called "Anti-Gas" or somethin' like that.:D:D

George.

Well my two new lenses arrived today, and for the time being (famous last words), I think my Fuji kit is now complete.

Fujifilm 16-55 F2.8 WR
Fujifilm 10-24 F4 OIS
Fujifilm 35mm F2 WR

So I now have every focal length from 15 mm to 300 mm (FF Equivalent) and a small light prime for low light work. I'd like to stop there as over the years I went a bit mental with my Micro four thirds kit (must post an image of the kit when I get the time), and I just want to stick to the basics on Fuji for now.

I said the same when I got the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2
But then I just needed the 90/2.0
But then that is - perfect trinity...
Then I needed the 35/2 'cos of the weather sealing...
Done. That's it. Perfect.
Then I needed the 50-140mm 'cos well I'm sure I had a reason, but that's all - bag is full then, it's already getting a bit heavy.
Oh but zooms are flexible - that's helpful sometimes, so along came the 16-55 - absolutely complete now. 100% certain.
Did someone say Macro? hmm sure I need the 80/2.8, but that's it - at least for now...

And there's me back to the same old 'gear anxiety' - take out too much 'just in case', but then get fed up with the weight. Same old vicious circle :)

I said the same when I got the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2
But then I just needed the 90/2.0
But then that is - perfect trinity...
Then I needed the 35/2 'cos of the weather sealing...
Done. That's it. Perfect.
Then I needed the 50-140mm 'cos well I'm sure I had a reason, but that's all - bag is full then, it's already getting a bit heavy.
Oh but zooms are flexible - that's helpful sometimes, so along came the 16-55 - absolutely complete now. 100% certain.
Did someone say Macro? hmm sure I need the 80/2.8, but that's it - at least for now...

And there's me back to the same old 'gear anxiety' - take out too much 'just in case', but then get fed up with the weight. Same old vicious circle :)

a couple of years ago i did a family holiday over in cornwall. 5 people in the car, a 7 hour trip with stops. in the boot amongst the suit cases was 2 backpacks full of camera gear. plus a tripod. Fuji and sony gear covering 16mm - 850mm.
wasted so much time each day thinking about what gear i should take with me. so this summer i went and just took one camera and the 23mm f1.4.
Was great to not have to worry about what i would take out. thats all i had with me so thats what i took and just had to get on with it.

a couple of years ago i did a family holiday over in cornwall. 5 people in the car, a 7 hour trip with stops. in the boot amongst the suit cases was 2 backpacks full of camera gear. plus a tripod. Fuji and sony gear covering 16mm - 850mm.
wasted so much time each day thinking about what gear i should take with me. so this summer i went and just took one camera and the 23mm f1.4.
Was great to not have to worry about what i would take out. thats all i had with me so thats what i took and just had to get on with it.

I can't agree more, I'm just weak!
Looking back over many years, I enjoy this hobby the most when I downsize / switch systems - mainly because I spend little if no time 'dithering' over which kit to take, and more time using it. Then I let my kit grow, and down goes the enjoyment. Stupid really, but that's me. Time for a clear-out again perhaps!

I've still got the original X100 and a X100T in the cupboard somewhere - perhaps I'll dig those out and mothball the XH1 for a few weeks just to re-train myself.

I can't agree more, I'm just weak!
Looking back over many years, I enjoy this hobby the most when I downsize / switch systems - mainly because I spend little if no time 'dithering' over which kit to take, and more time using it. Then I let my kit grow, and down goes the enjoyment. Stupid really, but that's me. Time for a clear-out again perhaps!

I've still got the original X100 and a X100T in the cupboard somewhere - perhaps I'll dig those out and mothball the XH1 for a few weeks just to re-train myself.
Well, I braved the cupboard of 1000 knotted cables, and came up with a few surprises! X100 and X100T charging, but also found a Canon G10, and and EOS M3 with 22, 11-22 and 18-55 lenses, plus an EOS3 Film camera (sadly with no lenses though!). Time to play this weekend!

Fujifilm 16-55 F2.8 WR
Fujifilm 10-24 F4 OIS
Fujifilm 35mm F2 WR

Here it all is:

hmm...now what about the 23mm F1.4, 56mm F1.2, 90mm F2, 100-400 f5.6, X-T3 etc.......:D:D

But you only have 1 body.... :D:D:D

Now that is just wonderful what lens?

Some leaves....in London

Wendy-4 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Not the most flattering angle for a portrait, would havve been better if the camera was in line with the face.
But a nice enough idea. I rememer a series of nudes done amongs leaves some years ago, but in rather better light and from much higher up.
I like her poncho, I am sure more could have bee made of it.

Last edited:
Not the most flattering angle for a portrait, would havve been better if the camera was in line with the face.
But a nice enough idea. I rememer a series of nudes done amongs leaves some years ago, but in rather better light and from much higher up.
Spur of the moment thing and I don't tend to wander round London with a step ladder

You know what you can do, do I look like Tarzan ? :D

I once stood on the bare top of a new lighthouse with no lamp house or rail, to take a photograph. There was no handrail on the stair inside either.
I also took hundreds of shots of ships with my feet dangeling out of the door.
And I am scared of heights.
But holding a camera gives all the protection you need.
Earlier this year I went to the top of our steeple in a cherry picker to shoot our rector, yet I can not climb a ladder.(unless I have a camera)
It must be so as I am still here.

I once stood on the bare top of a new lighthouse with no lamp house or rail, to take a photograph. There was no handrail on the stair inside either.
I also took hundreds of shots of ships with my feet dangeling out of the door.
And I am scared of heights.
But holding a camera gives all the protection you need.
Earlier this year I went to the top of our steeple in a cherry picker to shoot our rector, yet I can not climb a ladder.(unless I have a camera)
It must be so as I am still here.

I always hoped my camera would cure me of a fear of heights but in fact it seems to have quite the opposite effect......

Revisited one of my favourite venues, just a lovely space to be in.
H1 + 16mm, I took a very similar shot a couple of years ago with the T2 + 16-55, the 16 is impressive.

St Pancras by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed with good lead in lines, nicely exposed with good colour.(y)

George

Thank you George, it's a building that just begs to be photographed.

I use that station fairly frequently myself Sir, our main works are at Wellingborough (Northamptonshire) and if I need to use the train then that's the direct link out from the smoke. Because of the tight timing of train connections there is no time unfortunately for me to stop and take a few snaps.(y)

George.

I use that station fairly frequently myself Sir, our main works are at Wellingborough (Northamptonshire) and if I need to use the train then that's the direct link out from the smoke. Because of the tight timing of train connections there is no time unfortunately for me to stop and take a few snaps.(y)

George.
That's a shame George, it's wonderful upstairs and there's usually an interesting character on the piano as you've probably seen.

London_8 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Back