Fujifilm X-H1

@NickTB .... I have a Fuji 90mm arriving today, managed to find a 2nd hand mint for £500. Looking forward to taking it out at lunchtime, have my Macro tubes with me too.

I'm loving mine, especially with the tubes, although even with both tubes stacked, the focus distance is a lot further than you would think.

Have you tried a Raynox 250 attachment on your 90mm? Should work really well. Much as I'd love the 90mm I can't afford it right now, but I use an adapted Canon 85mm with a Raynox 250, not quite 1:1 but gives me about 0.9x magnification. The 90mm because of the extra FL and closer focusing capabilities will give you just over 1:1 [1,06:1 arcoding to the Raynox calculator: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ ] The beauty of the Raynox is that it just clips on and off in an instant

Last edited:
Have you tried a Raynox 250 attachment on your 90mm? Should work really well. Much as I'd love the 90mm I can't afford it right now, but I use an adapted Canon 85mm with a Raynox 250, not quite 1:1 but gives me about 0.9x magnification. The 90mm because of the extra FL and closer focusing capabilities will give you just over 1:1 [1,06:1 arcoding to the Raynox calculator: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ ] The beauty of the Raynox is that it just clips on and off in an instant

I’m going to try it with the tubes and I have the raynox 150 to go on also, be interesting to see what I get.

Update... Lens just arrived and it as new. result...

Liking that leaf Keith.

Cheers :) The strange thing about this one is there is no tree or hedge nearby with red leaves this time of year. It was after mowing the lawn I copped it, there all by it's lonesome. Going by the recent stormy weather we've had lately it could have blown in from anywhere, thought that was cool :)

Just had a message from a guy in Belfast offering his X-H1 for my X-T3...... would you? I’m not using the T3 for video. Just stills.

I've never owned the X-T3 , I sold my X-T2 and then bought an X-H1, it's a joy to use, the bigger grip and IBIS make a huge difference IMO. The new shutter is also fantastic but it does take a while to get used to it. My favourite Fuji camera my X-Pro 2 has hardly seen daylight since I got the X-H1.

Just had a message from a guy in Belfast offering his X-H1 for my X-T3...... would you? I’m not using the T3 for video. Just stills.

“YES” !!! Without a doubt, nuff said.

George.

I've never owned the X-T3 , I sold my X-T2 and then bought an X-H1, it's a joy to use, the bigger grip and IBIS make a huge difference IMO. The new shutter is also fantastic but it does take a while to get used to it. My favourite Fuji camera my X-Pro 2 has hardly seen daylight since I got the X-H1.

Having had the X-H1 and X-T3 I fully agree with Jim, the X-H1 was far better ergonomically and the IBIS, shutter etc. are great. The extra oomph of the X-T3 was negated for me by its smaller grip which I find makes it difficult to hold...

I do currently have all my x-series camera’s Gripped. But was not thinking of doing this on the H1 due to its better size.

Haha, that's what my daughter said when she saw it, I hadn't copped the lips until she did and I was tempted to ham it up a bit. Didn't though, it's as it was bar colour adjustments :)

Update..... Today traded in my X-T2 and grip and purchased the X-H1. Going to charge it up later. Happy Bunny....

Update..... Today traded in my X-T2 and grip and purchased the X-H1. Going to charge it up later. Happy Bunny....

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book, “ENJOY”.

George.

Having had the X-H1 and X-T3 I fully agree with Jim, the X-H1 was far better ergonomically and the IBIS, shutter etc. are great. The extra oomph of the X-T3 was negated for me by its smaller grip which I find makes it difficult to hold...

I've had 3 different Fuji body types now, the XT1, Xpro1 and the XH1 - the H1 is easily the most comfy and enjoyable to use, for me personally at least. I did consider the T3, but when I really thought on it the improvements it has over the XT2 are not that useful for the way I shoot. I rarely ever use C-AF or continuous shutter modes, I'm almost always in S-AF, single shot, I also rarely ever make use of video and I'd rather have IBIS than some extra video features I will ignore.

I've had 3 different Fuji body types now, the XT1, Xpro1 and the XH1 - the H1 is easily the most comfy and enjoyable to use, for me personally at least. I did consider the T3, but when I really thought on it the improvements it has over the XT2 are not that useful for the way I shoot. I rarely ever use C-AF or continuous shutter modes, I'm almost always in S-AF, single shot, I also rarely ever make use of video and I'd rather have IBIS than some extra video features I will ignore.

It's a super camera - but why does the quick menu button have to be there!!

It's a super camera - but why does the quick menu button have to be there!!

Yeah that is one con for me too, silly place to put it and I hit it all the time. It does only take a half press of the shutter to get back out of it but it is irritating. Also the touch screen isn't great, I was using it for changing the AF point but it's not the most responsive. And annoyingly, it seems super sensitive when you don't want it to move! it was constantly shifting over to the side on me when I would use the tilt screen.

The Q button thing isn't an issue with my X-H1 but is a major PITA on my X-E3.

The Q button thing isn't an issue with my X-H1 but is a major PITA on my X-E3.

Not for you maybe, I'm always hotting off of it the way I hold the camera. Happens mostly when I change position to review images or sometimes when I switch to a shoot from the hip or lower angle position, my thumb adjusts and hits that damn button. If the Xe3 is even worse then I would probably end up firing it at a wall :D I seen people suggest putting some gaffer tape across it, a few layers, cuts down on it's sensitivity. A hand strap might help? as I wouldn't be holding the camera body as tight maybe?

Another Sigma 18-35 has appeared locally for decent price, I've been tempted by that lens for a while now, only turn off for me is the weight. But I'm tempted to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll just trade it in for the 16 1.4 - which also interests me but I fear it'll be a bit restrictive, I don't tend to shoot wide very often. The Sigma would be a chance to try various FL between 18 and 25 to see what I really prefer. I wish they did it in Fuji mount, it'll be pretty big on the adapter but hey ... I've handled much bigger and heavier

Not for you maybe, I'm always hotting off of it the way I hold the camera. Happens mostly when I change position to review images or sometimes when I switch to a shoot from the hip or lower angle position, my thumb adjusts and hits that damn button. If the Xe3 is even worse then I would probably end up firing it at a wall :D I seen people suggest putting some gaffer tape across it, a few layers, cuts down on it's sensitivity. A hand strap might help? as I wouldn't be holding the camera body as tight maybe?

Another Sigma 18-35 has appeared locally for decent price, I've been tempted by that lens for a while now, only turn off for me is the weight. But I'm tempted to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll just trade it in for the 16 1.4 - which also interests me but I fear it'll be a bit restrictive, I don't tend to shoot wide very often. The Sigma would be a chance to try various FL between 18 and 25 to see what I really prefer. I wish they did it in Fuji mount, it'll be pretty big on the adapter but hey ... I've handled much bigger and heavier
I had a Sigma 18-35 when I was shooting Nikon crop, it's a surperb lens. If the size and weight is not going to bother you. You won't be disappointed with it.

I had a Sigma 18-35 when I was shooting Nikon crop, it's a surperb lens. If the size and weight is not going to bother you. You won't be disappointed with it.

The size not so much, it's a bit awkward on an adapter as that adds more length, but it's not bigger than the smaller tele lenses by comparison, and I've no problem using those. It's the weight in the bag, if it's the only lens you take out it'd be fine but along with others it'll make a difference. Not ideal for travel, and I will want to use it for that purpose a couple of times this summer but I think I can swing it. I usually only take 1-2 lenses when I travel, don't like clutter, just keep it simple. And though the range isn't staggering on this lens, it negates the need for 2-3 primes. Every review I've seen on it had very high praise, and most of them were using it adapted, many of them to Sony APSC. I did get to try one recently on the XH1 and it worked really well, AF was snappy as if it were native.

The size not so much, it's a bit awkward on an adapter as that adds more length, but it's not bigger than the smaller tele lenses by comparison, and I've no problem using those. It's the weight in the bag, if it's the only lens you take out it'd be fine but along with others it'll make a difference. Not ideal for travel, and I will want to use it for that purpose a couple of times this summer but I think I can swing it. I usually only take 1-2 lenses when I travel, don't like clutter, just keep it simple. And though the range isn't staggering on this lens, it negates the need for 2-3 primes. Every review I've seen on it had very high praise, and most of them were using it adapted, many of them to Sony APSC. I did get to try one recently on the XH1 and it worked really well, AF was snappy as if it were native.
It's the only lens I miss from my Nikon days the only drawback I can see is the size plus the fact you need an adaptor, take it using the fringer?

It's the only lens I miss from my Nikon days the only drawback I can see is the size plus the fact you need an adaptor, take it using the fringer?

Yeah I got the fringer pro. I just made an offer on the lens only to find it's been sold, I'm a day late :( I'm in two minds whether to keep the fringer or not, it's a very good AF adapter but a lot of the canon lenses I'd like to try are above budget.

Yeah I got the fringer pro. I just made an offer on the lens only to find it's been sold, I'm a day late :( I'm in two minds whether to keep the fringer or not, it's a very good AF adapter but a lot of the canon lenses I'd like to try are above budget.
The fringer looks good my first thought was the Sigma 18-35 when I saw it. But you need a few Canon lenses to make it worth while if you getting it just for one it makes quite a dear option.

I didn't hit the Q button that much, but enough to find it irritating and as it's something I don't use a lot I turned it off using the settings menu.

The fringer looks good my first thought was the Sigma 18-35 when I saw it. But you need a few Canon lenses to make it worth while if you getting it just for one it makes quite a dear option.

I had a couple Canon lenses from my experimental adapting with the G80, had the Viltrox AF adapter for that. Atm I just have the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 55-250 - this negates the need to buy the 55-200 though. I honestly think the Canon is as good, as cheap as it is - maybe the AF hunts a bit more but IQ wise it's right up there. I also got the fringer for reasonable money, £200 - that and the Canon lenses combined were cheaper than the 55-200 alone. I had the 85mm 1.8 too but sold it on, worked really well but I had very limited use for it. It's told me that the 90 F2 might be wasted on me, so I'm getting usefulness from the adapter in more than one way :) The Sigma lens would have made it more than worth it, it was going for £400 and looked like new, and I had the feeling I could even get that down a little. But, alas ... someone beat me to it

I didn't hit the Q button that much, but enough to find it irritating and as it's something I don't use a lot I turned it off using the settings menu.

Afaik you can't fully turn it off?

I had a couple Canon lenses from my experimental adapting with the G80, had the Viltrox AF adapter for that. Atm I just have the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 55-250 - this negates the need to buy the 55-200 though. I honestly think the Canon is as good, as cheap as it is - maybe the AF hunts a bit more but IQ wise it's right up there. I also got the fringer for reasonable money, £200 - that and the Canon lenses combined were cheaper than the 55-200 alone. I had the 85mm 1.8 too but sold it on, worked really well but I had very limited use for it. It's told me that the 90 F2 might be wasted on me, so I'm getting usefulness from the adapter in more than one way :) The Sigma lens would have made it more than worth it, it was going for £400 and looked like new, and I had the feeling I could even get that down a little. But, alas ... someone beat me to it

This might help ? https://www.fujivsfuji.com/fuji-views/i-disabled-the-q-menu-button-on-my-x-h1-again

Set Up Menu
Button/Dial Setting
Lock
Lock Setting
Selected Function
Function Select
Q Button

Last edited:

Makes total sense then, was thinking about a fringer and the Canon 100mm macro but when I brought both of them it wouldn't be a lot cheaper than the Fuji 80mm if I went grey.

Makes total sense then, was thinking about a fringer and the Canon 100mm macro but when I brought both of them it wouldn't be a lot cheaper than the Fuji 80mm if I went grey.

You can get the Canon 100mm 2.8 L macro for less than £500 used, and if you can find the fringer for £200 or so then it's still cheaper than the 80mm and leaves you with options. Tbh, I see no benefit to the L version of the Canon macro, the older 100mm 2.8 non-L will be optically the same and we have IBIS, you're paying extra for OIS on these lenses. AF might not be as nippy, but for macro you'll surely be manual focusing mostly anyway

Atm, I'm mainly hanging on to the fringer mainly for the 55-250 STM! A cheap as chips plastic mount lens :D BUT, with the fringer attached, and it is 99% of the time to this lens, it adds a metal mount and it honestly feels as solid as the Fuji 55-200 I owned in the past. This lens is as sharp wide open at 5.6 250mm, I rarely have to stop it down, only when it's very bright out and it gives me better chance to get say, a full bird in sharp focus. But the lens also focuses a fair bit closer at 85cm and has much better magnification at just under 1:3 - impressive for such a budget lens. Where it does lag behind is with AF on the adapter. It's not perfect, I do miss shots, and it can be irritating at times. But I find with zone focusing I rarely miss, I use the spot focus area when I can take my time. It's not terrible in general for AF with this lens, just when you're going for pin point accuracy.

I have been thinking on one of Canon's macro offerings too, their 60mm is better than Fuji's - it does the full 1:1 without the need for any attachment [though I do have a Raynox that would convert the Fuji 60mm to 1:1 with the aid of a step up ring] - 100mm would be better, but I like smaller macro lenses, the difference in working distance is never as great as people think because the longer lenses take up that extra space mostly anyway. Also, I've shot bugs with a lens almost touching them and got the result ;)

Last edited:
You can get the Canon 100mm 2.8 L macro for less than £500 used, and if you can find the fringer for £200 or so then it's still cheaper than the 80mm and leaves you with options. Tbh, I see no benefit to the L version of the Canon macro, the older 100mm 2.8 non-L will be optically the same and we have IBIS, you're paying extra for OIS on these lenses. AF might not be as nippy, but for macro you'll surely be manual focusing mostly anyway

Atm, I'm mainly hanging on to the fringer mainly for the 55-250 STM! A cheap as chips plastic mount lens :D BUT, with the fringer attached, and it is 99% of the time to this lens, it adds a metal mount and it honestly feels as solid as the Fuji 55-200 I owned in the past. This lens is as sharp wide open at 5.6 250mm, I rarely have to stop it down, only when it's very bright out and it gives me better chance to get say, a full bird in sharp focus. But the lens also focuses a fair bit closer at 85cm and has much better magnification at just under 1:3 - impressive for such a budget lens. Where it does lag behind is with AF on the adapter. It's not perfect, I do miss shots, and it can be irritating at times. But I find with zone focusing I rarely miss, I use the spot focus area when I can take my time. It's not terrible in general for AF with this lens, just when you're going for pin point accuracy.

I have been thinking on one of Canon's macro offerings too, their 60mm is better than Fuji's - it does the full 1:1 without the need for any attachment [though I do have a Raynox that would convert the Fuji 60mm to 1:1 with the aid of a step up ring] - 100mm would be better, but I like smaller macro lenses, the difference in working distance is never as great as people think because the longer lenses take up that extra space mostly anyway. Also, I've shot bugs with a lens almost touching them and got the result ;)
It's the options I'm not sure about, keep thinking what other Canon lenses would I use it with? While I love the Sigma18-35 the size would do my head in, always fancied the Canon 135mm but home much would I use it.
The Fui 80mm can be got for 800.
My daughter has borrowed my H1 and when I get it back is anyone's guess if ever that is so thinking in the long run the OIS would be a good idea for me.

Back