gardenershelper - RIP

Sad to hear :(

Last edited:
Saddened by this news, I remember him being very helpful when I dabbled in macro for a brief while.

I never knew Nick personally,
but I was always impressed by his images and narative.
He will be sadly missed.
RIP Nick.

Very sad to hear this. My thoughts are with his family.
I knew he had been unwell and I was wondering the other day if he was still around. I will miss him and his work.

Sad to hear this news. He was always very helpful to anyone that had a question.

Very sad to hear this. My thoughts are with his family.
I knew he had been unwell and I was wondering the other day if he was still around. I will miss him and his work.
He told me he had got better - I guess sadly it was just a temporary reprieve very sad.
He sent me a ring that he didn't need in July - didn't even ask for postage very kind.

Only just seen this, sad news indeed. I didn't know Nick personally, but did through the excellent work he shared on this forum. I always enjoyed the conversations with him around gear/setup/technique, etc. and learnt plenty from his experimentation and write ups. Condolences to his friends and family. RIP Nick

Oh crikey. I haven't visited this forum in a very long time, as I haven't been doing much photography over the past few years. I do like to see how everyone is getting on though, although usually that's via facebook these days. I've logged in here specifically to see how Nick has managed to push the boundaries of Macro photography further and what recommendations he might have for either techniques or equipment through his meticulous experiments. I certainly wasn't expecting to find this thread. Very sorry to hear the news, I have very fond memories of our online discussions. RIP Nick (hope they let you take your camera in with you)!

Oh crikey. I haven't visited this forum in a very long time, as I haven't been doing much photography over the past few years. I do like to see how everyone is getting on though, although usually that's via facebook these days. I've logged in here specifically to see how Nick has managed to push the boundaries of Macro photography further and what recommendations he might have for either techniques or equipment through his meticulous experiments. I certainly wasn't expecting to find this thread. Very sorry to hear the news, I have very fond memories of our online discussions. RIP Nick (hope they let you take your camera in with you)!

Yep, he'll be well missed here. He used to get some incredible results from some fairly run of the mill equipment. Says it all really. Most saddened,

Sad news indeed.
Nick was a gentlemen, he didnt have a bad word to say about anyone (even if he was being "trolled") on other forums mainly.
He would help everyone he could, he would give advice in great detail, he wouldnt just repeat "old wives tales" when it came to macro/close up. His advice came from his many years of experimenting, he used all types of camera gear over the years, so you knew when he wrote anything on "the forums", it was from his own personal work...he was almost scientific in his approach to macro, he could explain "methods" so much better than the rest of us.
RIP Nick, all the best mate, cheers Paul.

Sad news indeed.
Nick was a gentlemen, he didnt have a bad word to say about anyone (even if he was being "trolled") on other forums mainly.
He would help everyone he could, he would give advice in great detail, he wouldnt just repeat "old wives tales" when it came to macro/close up. His advice came from his many years of experimenting, he used all types of camera gear over the years, so you knew when he wrote anything on "the forums", it was from his own personal work...he was almost scientific in his approach to macro, he could explain "methods" so much better than the rest of us.
RIP Nick, all the best mate, cheers Paul.
I think the people who trolled him had personal issues. It was very hard to argue with Nick (not that I ever wanted to).

I think the people who trolled him had personal issues. on other forums mainly.
I can't believe anyone would do that, but obviously I only knew him from TP. And he was a well respected macro photographer here certainly.

Last edited:
Haven't been around for a while and very shocked to hear this sad news. Nick taught and inspired me so much. Such a helpful soul. RIP Nick.

Back