Gear acquisition - a journey without destination?

Name
Francesco
Edit My Images
Yes
I dare say this subject has been covered a few times already, but the other thread about creativity got me thinking though, that perhaps gear acquisition, while a lot of fun, can have a negative impact on our photography, as we obsess about new, different (and what we perceive to be better), gear. It's also something I feel I'm coming 'full circle' on....maybe....and would be interested to compare my journey with others.

I imagine to some degree or other most of us on this thread are on some kind of gear acquisition journey, and even if we think we’ve got to the end of it, and have the perfect gear for the photography we do, probably deep down quite enjoy buying (and maybe also selling) camera gear, trying out new stuff, thinking about whether we like it better than something else, etc.

My personal journey started a long time ago with the Nikkormat I inherited from my dad, and which I still have, and then a pretty nasty Nikon F401, which I don’t. But then about 5 years ago on a whim I bought a Nikon FE and fell in love with it. I then started acquiring a few lenses. And a few more bodies….an FM, an FM2, an FE2, an F2, then an F3, an F, an F4, plus a few cheapies….an F90X, an FG, an FG20 and probably more besides. I didn’t own all of these together, but at my ‘peak’ probably owned around 10 or so Nikon bodies, selling a few as I went. I’ve even bought and sold certain models, bought another of them, then sold them again! Overall I think I was trying to rationalise this buying by telling myself it would be good to own a variety of different types, for different purposes, and to find the ones I liked best, but in truth there’s no sensible rationale for having so many, unless you’re doing it as a collector, which I really don’t think I am.

In parallel, in medium format, a slightly less laborious process: I’ve bought and sold a Yashicamat, then bought a Fuji GW690, a Rolleicord Va, and a Pentax 645N, for which I’ve added a few lenses, and I still have these.

But in the last few months, I’ve had a bit of clarity over my Nikon stuff, and sold almost all of it, keeping just the Nikkormat (for sentimental reasons), a Nikon F2AS (because it’s the best mechanical Nikon SLR ever made, has a fantastic meter, and I invested too much in it, including Sover Wong servicing, to justify selling), and a Nikon F100 which although only recently acquired, already feels great to use, and has all the automation you could want. I think these are more than enough, and cover all bases from traditional manual focus mechanical goodness, to high-tech modernity, G lens and VR compatibility.

As well as selling most of the bodies, I’ve also got rid of most of the lenses. Although it was nice to have an 85mm and a 105mm lens, and a 20mm and a 24mm, they’re pretty close to each other, so I sold one of each pair. I also sold the 180mm lens I barely ever used, even though it was great. And the fisheye, same story. I’m left with a modern AF-S zoom, and 4 manual focus AI lenses, covering the focal lengths I’ve used for 95%+ of all the photographs I’ve ever taken.

Part of this selling was to fund the Pentax 645 system, partly for financial reasons (feeling guilty about all the money tied up in kit, when I don’t need it, and when money is generally tight), and partly because of the realisation that there’s no photographic reason at all for me to have more cameras than this. What I have now is everything I need: I’ve sold a load of 35mm kit, and still have a great 35mm system, plus now a 645 SLR system, a TLR, and a 6x9 rangefinder. Maybe not everything I want (for instance, if money was no object, I would have got a Contax 645 system instead of the Pentax), but a realistic usable set of cameras that is affordable and a pleasure to use, and covers all bases from 35mm up to 6x9 with varying degrees of traditionalism and modernity to suit different situations.

In conclusion, I think that I’m nearing the end of the journey, and feel quite satisfied about that. One of the reasons for satisfaction is because I know I haven’t lost money while doing it – in fact I’m pretty sure I’ve generally sold kit on for more than I’ve paid. Focusing particularly on the Nikons, I feel like maybe I needed to go through that journey, trying out all the different bodies and lenses, now getting to the point where I have settled on the ones I like best. It’s been a huge amount of effort, buying and selling on ebay, on TP, trips to the post office, etc, but I enjoyed it all, and at least now I no longer yearn to try out the F3, or the F4, or the FM3a, because I’ve been there, and am happy that the cameras I’ve kept do the job I need them to, with all the same pleasure to use. They’ve made some bloody good cameras, that’s for sure! Do I need to try the F5 or F6? The F6 would be lovely, but costs too much still – maybe that would be the ultimate partner to my F2AS, and maybe it’s nice to still have something vaguely on the wish list!

I’m aware that I’ve probably felt like I’m ‘nearly there’ before, and who knows whether I’ll go back to the acquisitive phase. I do know that I’ll miss watching ebay auctions for cameras that are far too cheap and tempting, but unless the cameras I have stop working, I can’t see me buying and selling like before.

Sorry for the lengthy amble through my photographic history…I will forgive anyone who can't be bothered to read it! Perhaps this thread is more for my therapeutic benefit than anyone else, as now I’ve said I’m nearing the end of my gear acquisition, it will be too embarrassing for me to come back on here talking about buying or selling cameras!!

However, I would be interested to know if anyone else has gone through a similar process, and if so, what stage you think you’re at on the journey. Part of me hopes I’m not the only one who has gone through such a ridiculously elaborate buying and selling process to get to this point, because otherwise I may question the sanity of my behaviour over the last few years! And to bring the thread back to the creativity question, do we need to get this GAS out of our system (hehe) before we can concentrate properly on the photography itself?

Last edited:
Well I've solved GAS a long time ago, but will always suffer from CRAB (can't resist a bargain) and I can't believe that anyone can walk past a lens/camera/tripod etc at a boot sale and not buy it, if going for absolute peanuts even though they don't need it...for me it's not just photography but e.g. a tool box full of tools for a £1...yep I didn't need a tenon saw, drills, chisels, spanners and so on as I have plenty, but there you go I'm hooked ;)

Well, I'm only a year into photography, but I've still managed to acquire 6 cameras and sell one of them, so I think I'm firmly in the GAS camp. I think it's important to remind myself that while getting new things and using them is fun in itself, no bit of kit is going to make me a better photographer. There's no shortcut, no way of spending money instead of time and effort to make my images how I'd like them to be. If I can be honest with myself, then the GAS won't a problem.

I still want a Hasselblad, though.

I dare say this subject has been covered a few times already, but the other thread about creativity got me thinking though, that perhaps gear acquisition, while a lot of fun, can have a negative impact on our photography, as we obsess about new, different (and what we perceive to be better), gear. It's also something I feel I'm coming 'full circle' on....maybe....and would be interested to compare my journey with others.

However, I would be interested to know if anyone else has gone through a similar process, and if so, what stage you think you’re at on the journey. Part of me hopes I’m not the only one who has gone through such a ridiculously elaborate buying and selling process to get to this point, because otherwise I may question the sanity of my behaviour over the last few years! And to bring the thread back to the creativity question, do we need to get this GAS out of our system (hehe) before we can concentrate properly on the photography itself?

Apologies for trimming the middle out of your post but it took a lot of screen space.

Your post resnates with my own experience almost 100% and like you I am starting to sell some of my cameras, in fact I started last year and this has kick-started me into moving more of my kit on.

It has been an enjoyable journey and I'm proud to say I have now owned almost all the cameras I ever wanted to own, there are of course one or two that I've missed but that can wait.

Of course I will hang onto the special cameras, like Francesco I have my father's Nikkormat and I'll never sell that but I also have the quirky and interesting cameras that friends have given me as gifts and other people have just given me because they know I still shoot film.

It's been great fun but I have no more room and as Franceso says it detracts from actually taking photographs.

Well I've solved GAS a long time ago, but will always suffer from CRAB (can't resist a bargain) and I can't believe that anyone can walk past a lens/camera/tripod etc at a boot sale and not buy it, if going for absolute peanuts even though they don't need it...for me it's not just photography but e.g. a tool box full of tools for a £1...yep I didn't need a tenon saw, drills, chisels, spanners and so on as I have plenty, but there you go I'm hooked ;)
Yeah, and there are so many bargains in the film world.

So how did you solve the GAS then?

Apologies for trimming the middle out of your post but it took a lot of screen space.

Your post resnates with my own experience almost 100% and like you I am starting to sell some of my cameras, in fact I started last year and this has kick-started me into moving more of my kit on.

It has been an enjoyable journey and I'm proud to say I have now owned almost all the cameras I ever wanted to own, there are of course one or two that I've missed but that can wait.

Of course I will hang onto the special cameras, like Francesco I have my father's Nikkormat and I'll never sell that but I also have the quirky and interesting cameras that friends have given me as gifts and other people have just given me because they know I still shoot film.

It's been great fun but I have no more room and as Franceso says it detracts from actually taking photographs.
Not just me then, phew! Interesting about the Nikkormat too, can imagine they will get passed down another couple of generations too, still firing perfectly of course!

The only cure for GAS is to feed it until it's sated. Unfortunately, something new is bound to come along and tempt you (well, me for sure!) again. At least older film stuff is generally less expensive than new stuff but less expensive =/= cheap! (Well, not often anyway!)

Guess so. I think as you progress you develop expensive tastes too... The journey usually involves moving from lesser to better kit, until the GAS is satisfied.

*stands up* My name is David and I have GAS *sits down*

On a more serious note I agree with everything that Francesco and Nick have written.

I also am seriously considering selling the majority of what has turned into a camera collection and having a core of maybe just one camera in each format. To this end, I am trying not to buy any more kit and spending the money that I would otherwise have spend on new gear on having the kit that I am keeping properly serviced.

I have seen threads on other forums where peoples New Year resolution is to use one camera and one lens for a year. I don't think I can ever go that far but hopefully I can get my GAS under control.

(psst. I have just bought a new lens for my Leica, but lenses don't count.....do they?) :)

I can't resist a bargain either - especially if it's a weird-looking one! I have told myself I'm not going to buy another camera until I can afford an X-Pan, because I have a 35mm SLR, a rangefinder, a box camera, a 120 TLR... I don't need any more. I will stick to colourful plastic cameras in charity shops, and nothing else. After all, it's for charity! ;)

Well when I returned more to 35mm film (I occasionally used a Nikon EM or Pentax S3) I was out of touch for what was what in the film world and made all the initial mistakes of getting inferior cameras e.g. Canon AV1, Olympus OM10 etc and lucky bought the Canon T90 (about 3 years ago) which showed what basic cameras they were, from then I become more interested in lenses, but needed cameras bodies to compare them e.g. Konica, Yashica, Fuji, Ricoh etc....well I have accepted that the lenses I have will have to do as the ones I wouldn't mind having are to expensive e.g. Nikkor 105mm f2.5, Canon 20mm, Minolta 24mm and drool Contax etc.......well if I can't take any decent shots with the lenses I have, then a £400 lens ain't going to help much ;) So in a nutshell:- a very good camera in the beginning and lens prices... have stopped my GAS, but still many of my fifteen 35mm cameras were mainly bought just because they were going for peanuts......maybe it's just plain greed I suffer from :eek:

I solved my GAS by selling everything and buying the Leica M6 and 50 summilux :)

It puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up and use it, takes wonderful pictures, and to top it off, from a purely financial POV it's good investment!

I'm early on in the GAS journey. I love the look and feel of older cameras, and enjoying looking at them and the experience of using them, which both encourages me to go out and take more pictures, and also try hard to take better pictures (to do the equipment justice I guess).

I also love a good bargain ;)

I try not to acquire too much gear (if you ignore the two new lenses I brought for my dSLR), as I find it will sit on the shelf and not be used that often.

I currently only have:

x1 dSLR
x1 35mm Slr
x1 TLR

I don't feel I need anymore at the moment, as I barely use everything I have. I do try and carry a digital and a film camera at the same time, for differing artistic purposes.

I do have a plan to burn through all of my colour film for my 35mm and use it exclusively for B&W stuff, but I expect this will only happen when I have sorted out a way of hand printing B&W.

The only other camera I would think of buying would be a Hassleblad, or a MF Rangefinder. But they cost considerably money, and I just blew a load on a 300mm prime...

Last edited:
in terms of expensive shortcuts, a leica is good, has a certain look that you can't replicate cheaply?

I'm terrible at getting my film deved, not had any 120 done yet :-( , and I love to buy stuff..

I'm pretty happy with my current set up. As others have said I've played with a few systems but I've passed these on and I'm concentrating on using my OM gear in 35mm. I've still got too many bodies but I look at it as having extra backs, they're not any heavier than one and they're cheaper!

In MF I've only got one good camera (RB67) and a few lenses, I do have a folder but I think it's dieing, I use this for most of my "work". There aren't actually too many lenses for this system and I've got the ones I need and use and there is only one I want. So not too much GAS.

I do buy toys like an action sampler or box cameras (pinholes too) but these are generally bought for some fun both in the purchase and in use but they can help get out of a creative rut and encourage me out. There isn't much to learn and there not exactly fighting the RB for field time they fill such different purposes.

I do sometimes get a wave of LF or alternative process GAS but I can't afford to run a field camera or do wet plate so that kyboshes that before it gets to more than drooling over cameras.

in terms of expensive shortcuts, a leica is good, has a certain look that you can't replicate cheaply?

I'm terrible at getting my film deved, not had any 120 done yet :-( , and I love to buy stuff..

The other half now has a Bessa R2A with Nokton Classic 35 1.4 which is lovely to use...but I have to say comparing shots side by side, the Leica glass has definitely got a little magical something about it. That's why I went 'all in' on the Leica....I know there would always be something nagging at me if I didn't. Honestly, getting it completely killed my GAS, stone dead. I have occasional looks at a 35 Summicron and M9s....but since quitting my day job it's only going to be dreaming for a long time!

I think it is a road most of us travel. The initial enthusiasm, the picking up of bargains, the journey to medium format and then the realisation that its not the kit thats stopping you taking good photos but the nut behind the button. Then the divesting of most of the previous years purchases as we settle on the little group of cameras that we really love using.....
But then, who can resist a bargain?

This man can't

DavidDickinson1-1001x1024.jpg

Aarghh...my eyes...my eyes....

annoyingly im at the point where i have all the gear i need, which is annoying as i want to buy more! If i get more then stuff will just sit idle gathering dust and i cant bring myself to sell it.

For me, the more I shoot the less I crave new gear. Unfortunately the reverse is also true - when I can't get out and shoot I start researching cameras and that makes me want one (I need to learn to research techniques instead, but that is harder!)

For me, the more I shoot the less I crave new gear. Unfortunately the reverse is also true - when I can't get out and shoot I start researching cameras and that makes me want one (I need to learn to research techniques instead, but that is harder!)

That's very true, I have probably shot more in the last month that the last year, and other than buying a lens for an upcoming trip to Borneo, I have barely look at any gear

:DPersonally I don't think GAS always has to distract from working on your skills, the danger IMHO becomes when you start to look forward to a nice piece of kit than getting some prints of scans made.

I think this is where I am at the moment. I lost my mojo last year and still haven't found it again, though during that time I've bought a few lenses and kept an eye out for gear I like the look of, justifying it by telling myself I'll use it once I get the cameras out again.

I really like my T90 and I have a sentimental reason for keeping that so it's staying. I can't say a have a particular attachment to any of my other kit though. It was all bought for what I thought was a good reason at the time, though looking back now a lot of it looks like GAS.

Maybe I should sell everything else and invest in an M6 in the hope of a cure. :)

In my case in ran in cycles
1961 Kodak Retinette 1A - a 35mm, fixed lens, rangefinder stye camera (with no rangefinder)
1962 or 1963 Pentax SV SLR and I started purchasing lenses.
1964 a pair of Pentax Spotmatic (I was getting serious) SLR - Was still buying lenses.
In 1971-1972 I discovered girls and motor cycles, and a bit latter sailing so no more camera purchase 'till around 1991-1992
In 1983 I inherited dad's Minolata SRT101 (he only had the 50mm lens on it)
In 1991 or 1992 Purchased a Canon EOS 1000 with the kit lens.
In 2006 Purchased a Fuji 9500 bridge camera (thhe general lack of responseivness was a major drawback.
In 2006 Purchased a Canon 350D (my first DSLR) and started buying lenses again - Irt was like comming back home.
In 2007 Purchased a Canon 40D
In 2008 Purchased a Canon 5D
In 2009 My last lens purchase (a Canon 135mm F2 L)
Not planning any more major gear purchases unless a body fails.
I have everything I need and most of what I want, beside the next steps up lens wise are the price of an around the world arline ticket or a few tickets.

Ah Richard, the next step is obvious.... a Kodak Retinette, or something similar, back to your roots man, back to your roots. ;)

1961 Kodak Retinette 1A - a 35mm, fixed lens, rangefinder stye camera (with no rangefinder)
1964 a pair of Pentax Spotmatic (I was getting serious) SLR - Was still buying lenses.
In 1971-1972 I discovered girls and motor cycles, and a bit latter sailing so no more camera purchase 'till around 1991-1992
In 2006 Purchased a Fuji 9500 bridge camera (thhe general lack of responseivness was a major drawback.
In 2006 Purchased a Canon 350D (my first DSLR) and started buying lenses again - Irt was like comming back home.
I have everything I need and most of what I want, beside the next steps up lens wise are the price of an around the world arline ticket or a few tickets.

Richard from great film to Canon,oh what a shame,there is a chance for you yet. GO BACK TO FILM.:)

Last edited:

H'mm interesting....For 35mm I just used a Pentax S3 from 1960 to 2000 and it was joined in 2000 by a Nikon EM that I inherited from my father...but from about 2009 I now have fifteen 35mm cameras and also given or thrown away quite a few. :eek:

@TheGreatSoprendo What a really good read there, it looks and sounds like a real long thought has been had over your journey so far. I would also agree 100% I have had a simillar if smaller journey over the last 18months. I started about 4 years ago with a Nikon D3100 Digital and progressed to a D7000 and some longer lenses and just became a bit frustrated at how many distractions modern kit had with buttons and dials and override this and that when realy my own brain was stuck in the old world of Shutter/Apature/Fixed film speed and light.

I hankered back to a film camera a F50 I think it was from Ffordes and went and shot some film, some of the results were complete cr*p but some were brilliant and I knew then that film suited what I wanted from Photography, a slower pace , nicer kit made for my brain.

I haven't gone to ballistic on the 35mm scene as I soon discovered MF so have spent more money that way but also own a pair of Nikons an FE2 and FM2 and a selection of lenses.

My main machine at the mo is the Pentax 645N which as you know I also took a punt on and what a machine that has turned out to be, stunning for me.

I am planning to slim my gear down just a tiny bit myself over this year, i will maybe even let my RB67.

I think this year for me is the year of the Pentax 645N and the Nikons.

Some geezer sold me a shedload of film :)

Cheers for all the responses folks, an interesting read. Seems maybe the cure is found once you get to the top of a particular tree. Certainly think I am there with my F2AS - as a 35mm mechanical SLR, don't think it can be beat. The F100 isn't too far off the F6 that I'd want if money was no object, either. I've been vaguely tempted by Leicas (as the top of the 35mm rangefinder tree) but I've tried cheapy 35mm rangefinders and wasn't enamoured - just think I'm too embedded in using the Nikon SLR system over many years to change over from that for 35mm stuff. I could of course trade in the Rolleicord for a Rolleiflex, but not sure there's any great advantage other than badge snobbery - the 'Cord does 98% of the same job and is smaller and lighter. And as said above, a Contax 645 is probably superior to my Pentax 645N, but I have built a system with a few lenses for the price of just a Contax body, never mind a lens to go with it...at a certain point common sense beats even GAS. And for lovely big 6x9 negatives, my Fuji GW690III provides a nice alternative. I don't think I'll ever have the patience for large format, and would never enlarge something enough for it to make a difference anyway (putting aside all the tilt/shift stuff which I'm not too bothered about either).

If I won the lottery of course I'd go crazy, but given normal financial constraints I think I'm close to the point of cure!

I definalty think I have got to a point where two systems seem to just work very well for me the Nikon FE2 and FM2 are almost the same, interchangeable lenses, focus screens and fit my hand very well, the Pentax 645N also carries these things forward the hand grip as amazing and means switching from native landscape to porttrait is peasy as the Nikons, the viewfinder is massive and clear which is a big plus for me thats why I also like my Nikons, the RB67 is my quirk but allows me to sit and spend time, the olympus Trip-35 is so point and shoot and again fit for purpose.

I can't resist a bargain either - especially if it's a weird-looking one! I have told myself I'm not going to buy another camera until I can afford an X-Pan, because I have a 35mm SLR, a rangefinder, a box camera, a 120 TLR... I don't need any more. I will stick to colourful plastic cameras in charity shops, and nothing else. After all, it's for charity! ;)

Aargh.

I thought I had my GAS cured until I read this and wondered what an X-Pan was. I've only been aware of its existence for a day and managed without one for years, but now I suddenly NEED one to fill a big hole in my camera equipment.

WOW

Seriously Likeable!
Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.

Aargh.

I thought I had my GAS cured until I read this and wondered what an X-Pan was. I've only been aware of its existence for a day and managed without one for years, but now I suddenly NEED one to fill a big hole in my camera equipment.

Funnilly enough I was just thinking @Andysnap I need urgently a camera he has been playing with trouble is I can't for the f*** remember which on.e

Mmm, could be one of many, here's a list, pick one.

Nikon F100
Nikon FG
Olympus Trip
Minolta Hi-matic II
Ross Ensign Selfix 16-20
Bronica GS-1
Mamiya C330f
Fuji GW690 (not mine yet but......?)
Rollei XF35

I think that's it. Oh Practica BCA and Holga 120N. (y)

Back