Gear acquisition - a journey without destination?

Aargh.

I thought I had my GAS cured until I read this and wondered what an X-Pan was. I've only been aware of its existence for a day and managed without one for years, but now I suddenly NEED one to fill a big hole in my camera equipment.
X-Pans are really nice and produce great results but arguably if you have a 6x9 camera you can achieve the same thing by cropping negs. And they are darned expensive... Did I mention how nice they are though... :)

Here's a quick rundown of film cameras I've bought (in chronological order):
Nikon F3HP (I'm a Nikon digi shooter)
<Rangefinder lust kicks in!>
Konica Auto S2
Canon QL17 GIII
Leica M4
Konica Hexar AF
<TLR/Medium format lust kicks in!>
Rolleiflex 3.5B
Rolleiflex 2.8F
Nikon FM2n (after my F3HP became a brick when the batteries died in the middle of a snowy October)

There's a pattern - I tend to go for something affordable first, then if I like it I go all in and go for the best I can afford. I go through phases of GAS, but I've managed to rein it in since I'm pretty well served for 90% of the personal work I do (which is mostly film). Digital is another matter though, I need to upgrade the (dSLR) body. Whenever something strikes my fancy, I think of this quote from Josef Koudelka :

When I understood that I don’t need any more wide-angle lens photos [after he shot Gypsies with a 25mm lens] – that on the contrary there’s a repetition coming – I bought two Leicas and started to use a 35-millimeter lens and a 50-millimeter lens. I knew that the techniques will change the vision — if you change the technique.

A new camera has to impose a way of framing a scene and additionally produce results that aren't covered by my current gear. I was tempted by the Mamiya 6 that was for sale a few weeks ago, but my Rolleis are 6x6 and are just as discreet. Only a Mamiya 7 would do really (I really like 6x7). I'd still like an XPan or a Widelux for panoramic work, and of course there's large format. Three more cameras and I'm done then. ;)

Last edited:
I'm actually really bored stupid looking at gear and I can't say I really enjoy talking about gear much, either. Just setting up a very small studio and I can't wait until I can just get on and take photographs. I find buying new gear deeply frustrating and far from a pleasant experience.

I would far rather be talking about photography than gear, as inseparable as they may be! :D

I'm actually really bored stupid looking at gear and I can't say I really enjoy talking about gear much, either. Just setting up a very small studio and I can't wait until I can just get on and take photographs. I find buying new gear deeply frustrating and far from a pleasant experience.

I would far rather be talking about photography than gear, as inseparable as they may be! :D

Well if you don't talk about gear how do you know what camera or lens to use to take your photos ;) Also you can waste money by getting carp lenses unless you ask about the best "value for money" lenses. :rolleyes:

Well if you don't talk about gear how do you know what camera or lens to use to take your photos ;) Also you can waste money by getting carp lenses unless you ask about the best "value for money" lenses. :rolleyes:

I talk gear when I HAVE to talk gear. I'm an expert on GEAR for as long as I need to be. I'm not afraid of the tech and I get my purchases right most of the time, which I gather is about average. I use crap L series lenses at the moment on a crap 5D2 ;)

Reactions: PMN
I talk gear when I HAVE to talk gear. I'm an expert on GEAR for as long as I need to be. I'm not afraid of the tech and I get my purchases right most of the time, which I gather is about average. I use crap L series lenses at the moment on a crap 5D2 ;)

Ah but do you know about film gear ;)

Aargh.

I thought I had my GAS cured until I read this and wondered what an X-Pan was. I've only been aware of its existence for a day and managed without one for years, but now I suddenly NEED one to fill a big hole in my camera equipment.

Sorry... But yeah, you see what I mean?!

I wish I knew where my Nikon EM was....it's disappeared somewhere on my UK->HK->DE relocations :( Was my mum's too, lovely bit of kit, it was my festival camera of choice with a 50 1.8. Might nab another one...

, do we need to get this GAS out of our system (hehe) before we can concentrate properly on the photography itself?

What a brilliant read Francesco.

To narrow it down to your last words, I believe for some of us, including myself, the answer has been, and still is "YES"

I'm wondering is there something in the air as it were, as it seems several people recently are reducing the amount of gear they possess.

I am too, although not a choice that I would be taking if not for a change of circumstances that leaves me with insufficient space to keep the collection that I have.

Much as it is very hard sometimes to see some kit be packed up and posted off to a "new life elsewhere", the other side of the coin offers a less cluttered outlook on what systems i wish to shoot with and thus hold onto.

Atm there is still an immense of choice remaining. As it dwindles, the choices of what to hold onto and what to let go will without doubt become increasingly more difficult.

All this said, my objective for this year was to plunge further into LF of which i have obtained a suitable 4x5 system ( yet to get a chane to use it!) and reduce much of my lesser used equipment.

My journey continues and I reckon it could take a little while, nonetheless I'm looking forward to being able to concentrate more on the photography that I do as well as still retaining a little of the " collector" in me ....."collector" as against" hoarder"! :p

Now how do us filmies persuade you to use it..........................................................

That is actually a very good point! Please do, I really don't like that it is languishing away in a draw.

Seriously, I would like to use it again, it was a pretty decent camera. I had a couple of lenses, 28-70 Tamron and a 75-300 Sigma. The IQ I got was "ok-ish", I expect not helped by Boots "PP".

Easy to get lenses for this model, you think? Wouldn't mind sticking something like a 50mm prime on it and giving it a go :)

Cheers Asha.

Just thinking about this all again also makes me consider all the time and effort I spent getting some of these cameras serviced, or even just cleaning up myself, replacing light seals and mirror foam, and that sort of thing. With hindsight, it seems like a lot of effort for cameras I no longer own, but in truth I feel quite good about it too: there are at least 10-15 SLR bodies out there that I've bought, checked, tested, serviced/cleaned to varying degrees, and sent back out into the world of TP members or Ebay-land, in better condition than they were when I bought them, ready to shoot for the next 10 years or so.

If we all properly maintain and manage the cameras we own while going through the GAS journey, then we are doing a service to other photographers looking for good, working old camera equipment (of which there is obviously a large but entirely limited and dwindling resource), as well as providing income for people like Miles Whitehead, Brian Mickleboro or Sover Wong who maintain and restore old cameras. It's really important to the future of film photography that their services remain available (and hopefully that a younger generation emerges to replace them as they retire).

Sorry... But yeah, you see what I mean?!

X-Pans are really nice and produce great results but arguably if you have a 6x9 camera you can achieve the same thing by cropping negs. And they are darned expensive... Did I mention how nice they are though... :)

Totally Charlotte..... its now on my official 'want' list. I've managed to go for a year since I purchased any new (for me;second hand in reality) cameras or lenses, but as Francesco confirms they look so damned nice :)

That is actually a very good point! Please do, I really don't like that it is languishing away in a draw.

Seriously, I would like to use it again, it was a pretty decent camera. I had a couple of lenses, 28-70 Tamron and a 75-300 Sigma. The IQ I got was "ok-ish", I expect not helped by Boots "PP".

Easy to get lenses for this model, you think? Wouldn't mind sticking something like a 50mm prime on it and giving it a go :)

Well you have to want to use (or try) film....maybe you can just use the full frame X7000 now and again when you feel like taking shots for relaxation as it slows you down to get the shot right, without wasting too much film. Other than that, maybe your camera can accept a M42 adapter to use old screw lenses (you can also use the screw lenses on your 5Dmk2) for some added interest. For choice of AF lenses I have no idea as except for my Nikon AF film camera with one AF lens, all I use are manual focus lenses.
regards

I'm so glad I avoid all this whole GAS thing! I used the same DSLR's for 5-6 years until I ran them into the ground, I've had my 7D and 5D2 for 3 and 2 years respectively and have absolutely no plans to change them. I've had my EOS 10 for maybe 8 years and it's still my most used 35mm body, no plans to change the RB67 (apart from acquiring a 50mm lens) and no plans to get another MF camera apart from hopefully buying Hooley's Fuji 690 at some point. I have an OM20 as well but my main gear is very much the same as it's been for a long time and I have no interest in changing it. It's the same for my bass guitars, I've had my 2 main instruments for over 10 years and I haven't even looked at another serious bass since getting them as they do everything I could ever need.

The whole thing of not spending money trying to chase different gear means I can spend more on trips to go actually take photos!

I'm so glad I avoid all this whole GAS thing! I used the same DSLR's for 5-6 years until I ran them into the ground, I've had my 7D and 5D2 for 3 and 2 years respectively and have absolutely no plans to change them. I've had my EOS 10 for maybe 8 years and it's still my most used 35mm body, no plans to change the RB67 (apart from acquiring a 50mm lens) and no plans to get another MF camera apart from hopefully buying Hooley's Fuji 690 at some point. I have an OM20 as well but my main gear is very much the same as it's been for a long time and I have no interest in changing it. It's the same for my bass guitars, I've had my 2 main instruments for over 10 years and I haven't even looked at another serious bass since getting them as they do everything I could ever need.

The whole thing of not spending money trying to chase different gear means I can spend more on trips to go actually take photos!

Understand your point about using them until they drop, but it looks like there's quite a bit of Gear Acquisition there nonetheless: 2 x DSLRS, an EOS10, OM20, RB67, then maybe a Fuji 690 to follow, and presumably a selection of lenses for each of the SLRs and DSLRS in different systems. Yeah, sounds like you're completely immune from GAS Paul....:D

Last edited:
Understand your point about using them until they drop, but it looks like there's quite a bit of Gear Acquisition there nonetheless: 2 x DSLRS, an EOS10, OM20, RB67, then maybe a Fuji 690 to follow, and presumably a selection of lenses for each of the SLRs and DSLRS in different systems. Yeah, sounds like you're completely immune from GAS Paul....:D

Hardly. I run 2 DSLR's so I always have a backup (I don't want to be in the middle of some random place and have my only camera die on me). If you think two DSLR's, two 35mm film SLR's and one medium format camera in 10 years of photography is GAS then I find that a tad odd...

I do have some different lenses but side I stopped regularly shooting aviation around a year ago I can't remember the last time my 24-105L left my 5D2 other than to put it in my EOS 10. Some people have had more cameras and lenses in the space of a month than I've had in ten years!

Last edited:
Hardly. I run 2 DSLR's so I always have a backup (I don't want to be in the middle of some random place and have my only camera die on me). If you think two DSLR's, two 35mm film SLR's and one medium format camera in 10 years of photography is GAS then I find that a tad odd...

I do have some different lenses but side I stopped regularly shooting aviation around a year ago I can't remember the last time my 24-105L left my 5D2 other than to put it in my EOS 10. Some people have had more cameras and lenses in the space of a month than I've had in ten years!

<facepalm>Couldn't you have just used your phone?</facepalm>

Well you have to want to use (or try) film....maybe you can just use the full frame X7000 now and again when you feel like taking shots for relaxation as it slows you down to get the shot right, without wasting too much film. Other than that, maybe your camera can accept a M42 adapter to use old screw lenses (you can also use the screw lenses on your 5Dmk2) for some added interest. For choice of AF lenses I have no idea as except for my Nikon AF film camera with one AF lens, all I use are manual focus lenses.
regards

It would be nice to be able to use my L series lens on my Minolta, maybe, but I can't see that being possible.

Methinks the acquirer doth protest too much :)

I don't consider it GAS when the gear has a specific purpose and actually gets used, I do consider it GAS when someone has multiple cameras/lenses which are near enough the same just sat on a shelf collecting dust.
This is a view that probably won't be terribly popular here, but if you've got a camera that's not getting used or is unlikely to get used that has no sentimental attachment, why not just sell it/donate it?

GAS isn't about having a few cameras, it's more about the buying of gear you don't need or won't use...

Canon A-1 - On Loan to @PMN .
Fuji GW690 - On loan to PMN from August to March.
Fujica STX-1 - Donated to @Andysnap Jr.
RB67 - On Loan to PMN for a few months last year.

I'd rather someone made use of my gear than it be sat around doing nothing.

tl;dr
If you use your gear, it's not GAS.

Sort of true IMO but at various points in the past I've had a few similar bodies which I didn't need to have, but I always made sure I used them. Thing is, if you have 5 similar camera bodies and rotate them with 5 rolls a year each, it's still a bit pointless. Especially if you've got one or two good quality ones to keep which can be relied upon to take more use. However this doesn't recognise the fact that the process of buying, trying, fixing and selling is enjoyable. Despite all the effort involved, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Quite possibly without end in my case as I am probably as much a collector as a user. I have a huge soft spot for Nikon manual focus stuff. Some of my gear gets rarely used, I have bodies that overlap each other for features, one two of, and some prime lenses I have multiples of the same focal length. The situation probably isn't helped by the prices of some film gear being fairly low at the moment. I have no intention of parting with any of it as just owning it gives me pleasure.

The current stash is as follows Nikon F, F2, 2 X F3's, F4, F5, FA, FE2, FM2, F301, FG, F65 & F80. Other cameras are an Olmpus OM2 Spot Program & a Praktica MTL5. To go with them there are roughly 30 lenses, close to half of which are Nikkor primes.

Recently I have started thinking of adding a medium format camera to the collection. Getting tempted by a Bronica ETRSi.

Funny, it is only film gear that I can get passionate about. I feel quite cold about my DSLR in comparison & adding things to it. it took me three years to treat the DSLR to a flashgun.
I

I don't consider it GAS when the gear has a specific purpose and actually gets used, I do consider it GAS when someone has multiple cameras/lenses which are near enough the same just sat on a shelf collecting dust.
This is a view that probably won't be terribly popular here, but if you've got a camera that's not getting used or is unlikely to get used that has no sentimental attachment, why not just sell it/donate it?

GAS isn't about having a few cameras, it's more about the buying of gear you don't need or won't use...

Canon A-1 - On Loan to @PMN .
Fuji GW690 - On loan to PMN from August to March.
Fujica STX-1 - Donated to @Andysnap Jr.
RB67 - On Loan to PMN for a few months last year.

I'd rather someone made use of my gear than it be sat around doing nothing.

tl;dr
If you use your gear, it's not GAS.

Not sure I totally agree. There is no need for anyone to own more than one 35mm film SLR body. Anyone who owns more than one has GAS, even if they are used regularly. They have more than one because they want to, not because they need to.

Not sure why GAS is seen as a bad thing. It's our hobby....whats wrong with owning a collection of different cameras even if some do exactly the same thing. My Nikon FE2 and EL produce identical results as I'm using the same lens on both and the bodies are really just boxes. But they are very nice boxes and I enjoy using them. No need involved just a want to experience the slight differences in these lovely old cameras.

Not sure I totally agree. There is no need for anyone to own more than one 35mm film SLR body. Anyone who owns more than one has GAS, even if they are used regularly. They have more than one because they want to, not because they need to.

Not sure why GAS is seen as a bad thing. It's our hobby....whats wrong with owning a collection of different cameras even if some do exactly the same thing. My Nikon FE2 and EL produce identical results as I'm using the same lens on both and the bodies are really just boxes. But they are very nice boxes and I enjoy using them. No need involved just a want to experience the slight differences in these lovely old cameras.

No no no no no! Since 35mm film cameras don't (usually) come with separate backs, you need at least two and possibly three: loaded with black and white, colour neg, and transparency!

I thought I was going to have to go on a GAS journey 3 days ago, when I dropped my black MX in the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens and the mirror and focus screen came unseated. Happily Cameratiks in Morningside refitted it all for nothing! While there I spotted my 85mm lens was getting lazy again, and they serviced that by the next evening. So I don't need to buy another camera... unless to hold transparency... a LX would be nice... Aaaaarrrggghhh...

@PMN isnt most of the gear you own actually owned by Your mate Mr Hooley :)

My name is Steve.....and I am a camera addict
No no no no no! Since 35mm film cameras don't (usually) come with separate backs, you need at least two and possibly three: loaded with black and white, colour neg, and transparency!

I thought I was going to have to go on a GAS journey 3 days ago, when I dropped my black MX in the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens and the mirror and focus screen came unseated. Happily Cameratiks in Morningside refitted it all for nothing! While there I spotted my 85mm lens was getting lazy again, and they serviced that by the next evening. So I don't need to buy another camera... unless to hold transparency... a LX would be nice... Aaaaarrrggghhh...

too restrictive Chris.... you need a separate back for not just B&W, colour and slide, but variations of ISO for each, and one for infra red too, and Velvia isnt good for portraits, so extra backs for an alternative too :)

i'm struggling on the 35mm front with just my my FE2 , FM2n and Trip.
I need more 35mm SLR's I currently have an opening for one for my infa red project,

please adress all offerings to

Mr Bump
Bump Towers
Bumpshire

BU12 MP3

Interesting read. I thought I had GAS but thinking about it in the last 30 years I have bought (as opposed to obtained) 4 film cameras and 5 digital ones so maybe not guilty. Cars are a different thing, I have had way more of those in that time, but even they seem to be insignificant compared to the real GAS problem - camera BAGS. I have a room full of them.

Last edited:
Paul, you are doing your bit for humanity, carry on the good work.;)

There is something that should be added i.e. "something to play with"...quite a lot of camera gear at the bootie today and some nice lenses at reasonable prices (much cheaper than the bay). The Luniasix 3 had dropped in price from last week of £10 to a £5 and wouldn't take my offer of £3 anyway someone bought it. Well with GAS under control I wasn't buying anything but didn't want to leave unless I had something to play with so bought a Carousel projector slide holder, 52mm fluorescent filter and Vivitar 283 all for £2...of course I didn't need them but wanted to play with the flashgun as it might take a lead, that I have, that my Niisssin flashgun can't........ for off camera work.
BTW the flashgun worked

I guess the root of GAS is wanting something new, something fresh (or something better when buying upgrades to replace existing gear) to play with, in a sense like a toy because it makes us happy. That's the case for me anyway if im honest with myself and accepting my case of mild GAS (started out from 18-55 about 1.5yrs ago and now have lenses from 12mm all the way to 300mm, and a one off 8mm and a 500mm) and i think to a degree its fine, within reason, unless its putting financial strain on you or in the extreme cases storage space strain!

Its also a bit like collecting anything, be it stamps, bottles of wine etc, but then photographic gear is more useful. And similarly they probably have Wine Acquisition Syndrome and Stamp Acquisition Syndrome ;)

Well I've solved GAS a long time ago, but will always suffer from CRAB (can't resist a bargain) and I can't believe that anyone can walk past a lens/camera/tripod etc at a boot sale and not buy it, if going for absolute peanuts even though they don't need it...for me it's not just photography but e.g. a tool box full of tools for a £1...yep I didn't need a tenon saw, drills, chisels, spanners and so on as I have plenty, but there you go I'm hooked ;)
:plus1: i have a serious case of CRAB, often go treasure hunting in charity/bric-a-brac shops in town :banghead::oops: :$

Back