Genuine or generic battery ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have any comments / experience re the above , seems like a big price difference ? What would you buy ?

For a camera I would start by looking at second hand genuine from mpb, the last one I bought was around 25% of the new price and appeared unused and holds the same charge as the one in the camera.

I have also had no issues on the previous camera, or the work dslr with generics that don’t masquerade as genuine.

I have used ExPro batteries for the last 5 years or so, never had a problem with them, they worked 100% with my previous Canons and now my Nikon D750 (although not the same batteries of course :) )

I think quite a few on here also use them, that is how I found out about them.

I have a couple of Ex-Pro batteries for my Fuji X100T and they are fine, or at least no worse than the underpowered Fuji original. I've never managed to exhaust the battery in a Nikon dSLR in a single day, so I generally have only a single (genuine Nikon) spare, only buying a third party battery for my D70 when Nikon recalled the original and replacements were in short supply. Check reviews for the specific battery you are interested in, and avoid suspiciously cheap camera-branded batteries sold by ebay or Amazon traders. As Jon suggests, these will just be generics of unknown quality 'masquerading as genuine' - much better to get a generic from a trusted third party brand.

I’ve got a couple of Ex Pro batteries for my D850 and they’re ok, but don’t last as long as Nikon originals. Fine for emergencies. :)

Camera companies do not make the batteries that fit their cameras they get them made by third party companies. If they are happy to use third party batteries then so am I.

I have some Nikon generics made by Ravpower. They are good enough, but don't hold the same charge and deplete sooner than the Nikon original that came with my camera

I've had an EN-EL 18 from Ex-Pro for my D850 grip for about 18 months and it is excellent, however they seem not to be doing the EN-EL 18 anymore so I've just bought a second from DSTE via Amazon as have heard good reports about them.
Would I buy genuine Nikon batteries?
No, I don't think there is any need and there are some good quality alternatives at a fraction of the price e.g. Ex-Pro, DSTE, Duracell and others and you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a single Nikon battery.

I have Duracell battery as my back up battery never had any issues with it.

I have used Ex-Pro White and Black, but read an article about how the latter can over heat
Apparently the White ones have some form of protection built in to stop damaging camera or charger

Depends on what camera it is for.

Have used plenty of third party batteries with Nikon dslr's with no issues at all. Have also used third party batteries with Fuji with no issues.

Mirrorless well Sony anyway, seems to be bit more of a minefield in regards to batteries, issues with performance, error messages on the camera, battery indicator not working etc. so for my Sony's I have just stuck with genuine batteries.

Another vote for Ex-Pro white. I have two spares for my fuji, and haven`t had any problems with them. They seem to last about as long as the original fuji one.

I use third party. They have been fine.
Camera is Canon 6d

Gaz

With generic I have noticed that the capacity is less but they do work. Obviously buy a good quality branded generic as lithium batteries are dangerous.

I have been using 7dayshop own brand batteries in all my Canon cameras since my 300D. Not a single problem and saved shed loads of money

Hahnel last just as long in my canon (the orange and grey 'extreme' ones).

Would buy them over originals as half the price but just as good.

T

issues with performance, error messages on the camera, battery indicator not working etc.
The issue with battery indicator is not a fault of the third party batteries the issue is with the camera manufacturer using practices that border on the immoral, they deliberately add circuitry to their cameras to try to prevent us from using 3rd party batteries in our cameras.

The issue with battery indicator is not a fault of the third party batteries the issue is with the camera manufacturer using practices that border on the immoral, they deliberately add circuitry to their cameras to try to prevent us from using 3rd party batteries in our cameras.

I bet your some craic at parties

I use a mix of genuine Sony, ExPro and Duracell in my a7rii. The Duracell are new (bought a month ago before I went to Harris/Lewis) but don't last anywhere near as long as the ExPro or Sony batteries. Quite disappointed by them, they even sent the camera crazy, buttons not working/doing other buttons jobs, when it got even slightly cold (not even frosty) one sunrise, so they don't get used anymore.

I've used Dot.Foto ones off Amazon for a good number of years in all my camera bodies. I think they give slightly less shots than an OEM battery but the cost saving far outweighs any difference.

I have used a Duracell battery (from Duracell website) in my phone and it works very well. All of the Samsung batteries are fakes (my phone is very old)
Just make sure you buy a Genuine not necessary OEM battery

I have a couple of Duracell batteries as spares for my EOS 80D. Absolutely no issues with them, the capacity isn't as high as a genuine Canon battery so they don't last quite as long, but as they're a quarter of the price I can forgive them that.

I've bought genuine Duracell direct from their website (for my old 600D and now my 80D, but they're nowhere near as good as the original.

Whereas I've got some Ex-Pro batteries (had in my old 300D and now in a 20D) where the performance is pretty much on par.

I'd only ever use the Duracell one as an emergency back up, and not as a main battery.

Back