Gitzo Crowdfunder - Interesting new tripod

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Wondered if anyone had heard about/was interested in the current Gitzo Crowdfunder.

Quite an interesting idea IMO, a travel tripod with a seemingly unlimited warranty.

Crowdfunder lets you have it at £378 which seems a decent price for what you're getting as a kit.

1617997941611.png

If it had a heavier load capacity and looked a little more sturdy I'd have probably been interested.

More information here:

1617998092715.png

There’s been a thread on this for a while.

the campaign has been open for a few weeks now. There seems there was several initial batches as the number available kept changing as they ‘sold out’. Seems they haven’t yet sold out yet as it’s still available at the same discount (35%) for a few weeks now. The price has flucated between £372 and £378 depending on currency conversion rate. I gather there was an initial 43% discount but that soon went. Interesting they are saying there are only a few left. I expect more will be added as those sell.

Last edited:
There’s been a thread on this for a while.

the campaign has been open for a few weeks now. There seems there was several initial batches as the number available kept changing as they ‘sold out’. Seems they haven’t yet sold out yet as it’s still available at the same discount (35%) for a few weeks now. The price has flucated between £372 and £378 depending on currency conversion rate. I gather there was an initial 43% discount but that soon went. Interesting they are saying there are only a few left. I expect more will be added as those sell.

Should have checked for a thread haha

The specs seem to be basically the same as their GK1545T-82TQD (give or take a little here and there).
The main difference is the price really which is also the similar without the discount.

So really the point of the crowdfunded is to offer a discount?

Last edited:
Should have checked for a thread haha
I’m kind of surprised that they haven’t sold out yet considering it’s been a month. I guess many current traveller owners like myself worked out it’s pretty much a standard traveller but with a new look.

I like the idea but swapping my gitzo traveller for a ’legende‘ would completely go against the point they are trying to make regarding environment and sustainability. It would be nice if they would have made the decision to support all current models to ensure they are repairable for life rather than just make another tripod that’s repairable for life, and ultimately use further resources making more tripods that will end up in landfill (either theirs or other manufacturers who’s are being replaced by these). To be fair to gitzo they already have a good spares inventory so they are already nearly there.

The specs seem to be basically the same as their GK1545T-82TQD (give or take a little here and there).
The main difference is the price really which is also the similar without the discount.

So you are really the point of the crowdfunded is to offer a discount?
Crowdfunding is just a marketing ploy and to create hype. The price discount is probably to entice photographers that may have thought gitzo were too expensive and never considered them.

If you watch the strip down and cleaning video of the legende you will see its basically the same design and likely similar parts as other gitzo traveller. It will be a good tripod if people get it for around £375.

Crowdfunding is just a marketing ploy and to create hype. The price discount is probably to entice photographers that may have thought gitzo were too expensive and never considered them.

If you watch the strip down and cleaning video of the legende you will see its basically the same design and likely similar parts as other gitzo traveller. It will be a good tripod if people get it for around £375.

Think I'll get one, been meaning to get GK1545T-82TQD for a while anyway. I do prefer the looks of the GK1545T-82TQD but I won't pay £150 extra for it :p
I still can't believe they don't provide a half decent bag after charging so much for it!

Last edited:
Think I'll get one, been meaning to get GK1545T-82TQD for a while anyway. I do prefer the looks of the GK1545T-82TQD but I won't pay £150 extra for it :p
I still can't believe they don't provide a half decent bag after charging so much for it!

I've thought about it. Weight wise it's rated to less than the GK1545T. Not so sure about the look of the leg lock things at the top, look a bit fiddly to me. I like the idea of it, but if they were the same price I'd take the GK1545T any day.

I looked at this, but went for the GK2545T-82QD in the end.
Bit more expensive, but looked a better all around package to me.

I've thought about it. Weight wise it's rated to less than the GK1545T. Not so sure about the look of the leg lock things at the top, look a bit fiddly to me. I like the idea of it, but if they were the same price I'd take the GK1545T any day.
It's 2kg less but I don't think that'll make a massive difference tbh.
I'd take the GK1545T too but it's not available for this price... I haven't seen one anyway, not this low even on offers

Did think about this one, found a good used deal for one too with the premium bag. But it's a bit on the heavier side for my liking plus a little fatter when collapsed.
I'm happy to point you to the used sale if you are interested.

Did think about this one, found a good used deal for one too with the premium bag. But it's a bit on the heavier side for my liking plus a little fatter when collapsed.
I'm happy to point you to the used sale if you are interested.

Thanks, but I got mine a month ago new from WEX and very pleased with it too.
Friction control on the head is excellent and the extra weight/size is negligible.
Always a trade off, but one I was happy to make for the extra stability and strength

The GK2545T-82QD was actually my preferred model when I tried them all at the photography show a few years ago. I went with the 100yr anniversary model just because at the time it was much cheaper then the GK2545T-82QD. My main reasoning was the price and the fact I had a series 3 systematic for the time I wanted more stability otherwise it would have been the GK2545T-82QD for the extra stability and friction control.

Last edited:
The GK2545T-82QD was actually my preferred model when I tried them all at the photography show a few years ago. I went with the 100yr anniversary model just because at the time it was much cheaper then the GK2545T-82QD. My main reasoning was the price and the fact I had a series 3 systematic for the time I wanted more stability otherwise it would have been the GK2545T-82QD for the extra stability and friction control.

I like the look of that one, just that bit more substantial!

there is a openbox GK1545T-82TQD at wex for £480. I still prefer the saving £100 personally but this might be useful for someone else.

Back