Glasgow police: is this even legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is brilliant! There's now another 20 minutes of Edinburgh Fringe Festival, comedy material in this thread! :clap:

Possibly best delivered by Dave Gorman with one of his slow burn Powerpoint presentations!!

Now it just needs some photos of the motorway!

This is brilliant! There's now another 20 minutes of Edinburgh Fringe Festival, comedy material in this thread! :clap:

Possibly best delivered by Dave Gorman with one of his slow burn Powerpoint presentations!!

I am getting the dash cam. There are too many loonies and thieving dibble up here. I agree it is not so great without hard evidence. They would just think of some lie to defend.

Of course he can - he's proved it. Whether he MAY or not is an entirely different question. ;)

Please tell us how you're planning your "revenge".
I've got coffee and a biscuit.
Proceed......
:LOL:

I am in a month or two... just looking for a place well north of the dump.

FFS, don't come anywhere near me then. With an attitude, ignorance and childishness like that a speeding ticket may well the least of your worries. Aberdeen ain't the friendly place it once was:D:D

For goodness sake - the speed limit was broken - there's no answer to that .

Stop moaning and move on

I travel the M8 every week heading to Edinburgh - I don't enjoy it - but I just get on with it . It's maddening when parts have been coned off for works [ badly needed ] and nothing is being done. BUT if you knowingly break the speed limit then you deserve everything you get.

I've recently been drawing the conclusion that daugirdas is only about 16 years old. So probably shouldn't be driving anyway.
:D:DDinky Toy maybe.

Unglaublich! Un---glaublich!

Norway? Finland? The North Pole? [though I believe the internet connections there can be a bit ropey] :D

blimey Yvonne ,,,what have they done up there to upset you ?
or do you just hate polar bears ?? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Yv
Speaking of pita roads...

@donut Have you been to see the "sink hole" in Kemsley? :LOL:

blimey Yvonne ,,,what have they done up there to upset you ?
or do you just hate polar bears ?? :D

Good point, I generally like Scandinavians, so no obvious reason to dislike Eskimos, Inuits, or a few random scientists either :D Perhaps an uninhabited northern Hebridean Island would be a better option?

Speaking of pita roads...

@donut Have you been to see the "sink hole" in Kemsley? :LOL:
no ,,didnt know there was one ,,,,,is the whole place going to fall in ?
i might go and find it in a minute

Is this a good time to mention that I'll be off to work this afternoon and will quite probably be sat in a couple of places with a speed gun??;)

Reactions: Nod
no ,,didnt know there was one ,,,,,is the whole place going to fall in ?
i might go and find it in a minute

Be careful!! They say the chasm is 2 feet wide!! :LOL:

you got my hopes up for a minute ,,,

Good point, I generally like Scandinavians, so no obvious reason to dislike Eskimos, Inuits, or a few random scientists either :D Perhaps an uninhabited northern Hebridean Island would be a better option?

You can have Rockall in few days.

I have to admit, putting a random 40mph limit up then keeping it there when its quiet, when the road is not getting worked on by nearby workers does seem silly. Why not put it back to 70?

Dibble sitting there, yes, speeding there you are a target, but there are more serious crimes, issues in the city of glasgow than someone going a bit over 40 in a quiet bit of limited to 40 motorway. It is a non crime. The city has a major drugs/drunken lager lout issue, that is more serious than an otherwise law abiding person slightly breaching an unnecessary limit.

Also edit...44mph...seems a very tight tolerance, normally they are a bit kinder and would normally let that slide.

Last edited:
Dibble sitting there, yes, speeding there you are a target, but there are more serious crimes, issues in the city of glasgow than someone going a bit over 40 in a quiet bit of limited to 40 motorway.

now you're hardly a model citizen to complain on this matter. Are you? :whistle:

Last edited:
Dibble sitting there, yes, speeding there you are a target, but there are more serious crimes, issues in the city of glasgow than someone going a bit over 40 in a quiet bit of limited to 40 motorway.

now you're hardly a model citizen to complain on this matter. Are you? :whistle:

Why does what happened to me relevant? I was charged with something different and was doing a speed that was well in excess of the limit and one that would attract attention to myself due to the excessive speed.

I've always felt however given the issues with Glasgow, the level of road policing is disproportionate as there are so many other serious issues in the city that could do with police presence but they are out there in BMWs and Audi's catching non events like the OPs foray to 44mph rather than deal with violence, roudiness and drugs. At least with mine, it was a proper big breach that filled the officers time.

The fact everyone says the OP got what was coming, leads me to believe that people are getting the petty policing and law enforcement they deserve.

Last edited:
YV
There's 2 types of speed restriction. One put in by the HA, the other a restriction put in as part of planned works. The first wasn't, and may still not be compulsory. The second is.
But, in the case of the first, if it still hasn't been passed into law as a compulsory limit, exceeding the posted limit is evidence of reckless driving. In case of the second option then it's speeding per sae.

It's me so you are fundamentally wrong there. Imagine all your roads halved in speed. Good luck. Don't celebrate me getting the fine so soon though.

red sign? No red sign there. Flashing yellow thieving turd.

So was there actually an ordered speed limit with a red circle or an advisory?

I got caught myself a few months ago.
9 a.m on a Sunday morning, good wide road, perfect weather, no traffic, in fact the only vehicle on that stretch of road was the police van with the camera in, just round a gentle bend and invisible until it was too late. And it was a road that kept changing between 40 and 30 limit, I got caught on a 30 bit that I thought was 40 and I was doing 36...

So, I can emphasise to some degree because I can't see a safety issue on that bit of road, and especially on a Sunday morning, and I can't help wondering whether it was really all about making money - BUT there must have been a 30 sign there, and I should have spotted it, so I have nobody to blame except myself.

Of course, people will always argue that the police don't make any money out of catching speeding motorists - but is this really the case?
I took the option of a speed awareness course, which cost me £75. It was run by an independent contractor BUT it was hosted by the West Yorkshire Police, in one of their buildings, which they will have rented out to the independent contractor, so they will have made money out of it.

4 x concurrent speed awareness running there at the time, 20 people on each @ £75, and 2 sessions per day. £75 x 20 x 4 x 2, that's £12,000 in revenue per day.

Mind you, it was a very good course and I learned quite a lot from it - especially how to motivate and engage with people who were only there to avoid points on their licence and not because they actually wanted to be there.

Reactions: ST4
There's no glasgow police, it's police scotland. Speed restrictions aren't put in place for the sole purpose of catching people speeding. I believe that speed limits could be raised on motorways due to the technology in today's cars, I think they should remain the same in urban areas as the technology in human beings esp. children has not changed. Unfortunately, you will always get clowns who think they are above the law and do whatever speed they feel.

44 in a 40. Why not just let that go. It seems highly officious to do someone for that.

I know someone who was done doing 33.4 in a 30 in ayrshire. They took it to court because the speedo on their car (and any other car for that matter) doesn't do points on their speedo and they lost

I know someone who was done doing 33.4 in a 30 in ayrshire. They took it to court because the speedo on their car (and any other car for that matter) doesn't do points on their speedo and they lost

Normally a margin is applied. Google APCO guidlines

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2013/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

Its only a guidline. Page 8

40mph. FPN where education is not appropriate is 46mph, 44mph should be a ticking off, according to the guidelines.

Or Rhod Gilbert, who just keeps getting angier! :LOL:

I hope you clever lot get done by a proper greedy dibble for even very minor offences. That would teach you for these replies. I bet most of you couldn't even pass a driving test if we follow recent surveys.

Please tell us how you're planning your "revenge".
I've got coffee and a biscuit.
Proceed......
:LOL:

I have plenty of legal options. 1. Publicise everything wrong about police in the media. 2. Hog the traffic like aunt Dorris does in Honda Jazz. You do all hate it, don't you when you can't drive at 35 in a 30 road. That one is coming for sure. 3. Vote Tory next time in the local elections.

FFS, don't come anywhere near me then. With an attitude, ignorance and childishness like that a speeding ticket may well the least of your worries. Aberdeen ain't the friendly place it once was:D:D

Don't you want to meet up for a deep fried mars bar and a few hugs then? :(

I've recently been drawing the conclusion that daugirdas is only about 16 years old. So probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

At least I don't have illusions about the place I live in

There's quite a lot of traffic restrictions in place. I guess if you know the area and look here it will tell you why (although obviously won't mentioning deliberately placed to rape Daugirdas)

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/road/road-and-traffic-orders/south-west-traffic-orders
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/road/road-and-traffic-orders/south-east-traffic-orders

and that one is not there. I doubt they publicise 1 hour long stupid restrictions.

Is this a good time to mention that I'll be off to work this afternoon and will quite probably be sat in a couple of places with a speed gun??;)

Enjoy yourself there. I have no issue with policing of sensible permanent restrictions. But if you place a sign and hide just behind it....

I have to admit, putting a random 40mph limit up then keeping it there when its quiet, when the road is not getting worked on by nearby workers does seem silly. Why not put it back to 70?

Dibble sitting there, yes, speeding there you are a target, but there are more serious crimes, issues in the city of glasgow than someone going a bit over 40 in a quiet bit of limited to 40 motorway. It is a non crime. The city has a major drugs/drunken lager lout issue, that is more serious than an otherwise law abiding person slightly breaching an unnecessary limit.

Also edit...44mph...seems a very tight tolerance, normally they are a bit kinder and would normally let that slide.
So was there actually an ordered speed limit with a red circle or an advisory?

Not red. Yellow LED things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back