GLOVES!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Winter is fast approaching and using a camera is at best unpleasant and at worst impossible when it's cold, wet and windy, so I'm in the market for some decent gloves.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a decent pair of thinnish under gloves which will provide warmth on their own when using the camera, and maybe some mittens over the top (with fingers which fold open) for wind/waterproofing when I'm not directly using the camera.

All suggestions welcome :)

If you do a search on the forum you'll find some previous threads about this, including a link to some foreign-made (Swiss/Swedish? can't remember) army type ones that are meant to be excellent but expensive. No harm in asking this time though, in case there are some new products on the market. :)

I have some fingerless gloves for cold weather, which leaves just the tips of my fingers free to work the camera. Not ideal as I still end up with frozen fingertips but better than having my entire hand out in the cold

I use Sealskinz, they're not the warmest but they take the edge off and are thin enough to be able to use/change controls with ease.

my normal black calf skin leather gloves are thin enough to to use with my camera they are extremely soft very fine leather.

I use Sealskinz, they're not the warmest but they take the edge off and are thin enough to be able to use/change controls with ease.
Me too.
Great gloves for working the controls.
If it's very cold I wear thicker gloves, and swap when setting controls etc.
Works for me.

I use Macwet golfing gloves. Very dextrous and If it gets really cold, I slip on a pair of Pound shop woolly fingerless gloves over the top.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MacWet-Acq...ie=UTF8&qid=1543583461&sr=8-2&keywords=macwet

Ive also had a pair of neoprene fishing gloves from Aldi. Only about £4. They had a index finger and thumb fold back tip which velcro'd back. Very thick but not very warm. I believe Boyes also sell them if you have that store where you live?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Neo...449d48f20:m:m3kkRTMB3fztRIdorRaGBbA:rk:6:pf:0

Last edited:
I have used for quite a few years now some unbranded gloves from sports and soccer stores , just the right thickness to keep my hands warm and thin enough to work the controls cost about £3.50

Macwet for me too. Just bought some a few weeks ago and I have no problem working all the dials and buttons on the camera with them on.

I know we are not in the depths of winter yet, but the couple of times I have worn them, my hands have been plenty warm enough.

Sealskins for me and if it get too cold I put a pair of thin wool fingerless gloves on and put the sealskins over the top.

I have sealskinz but i find that if your hands aren’t warm before putting sealskinz on, they will never get warm - warmer..!! So i often have a pair of silks to hand to wear underneath my main gloves, failing that hand warmers.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of running gloves from Sports direct. Right balance of keeping hands warmish and able to use dials on camera. Think I got them for about £5.

I use cycling gloves, fingerless.

I also like MacWets with woolly fingerless on top, but they are best in the cold and dry. In the wet, not so warm as neither glove repels water terribly well.

Gun Gloves. They have special thin sections on the finger tips, especially the trigger finger, plus they are usually designed to grip very well and grip in low temperatures

LD we are about 9months in with a pair each of the gloves Mr B mentioned. they are made by the heat company, A no expense spared exercise in glove design made for Austrian special forces..................https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb worth having a search as advised I wrote a fair bit about them at the time

They are not cheep. I bought around the time the beast from the east hit. i'd got to the stage of somedays missing images because my hands get so cold.

We use a couple of pairs of the green shell with the separate liners,I'd not buy the all in one,you want the freedom to change liners,we use tactility,mainly, I also feel the liners might ware first,so best have the options afforded by a separate shell !!

they are on the edge of too warm,certainly so in the summer months But now just starting to come into regular use. I shoot wildlife.

Honestly I baulked at the thought of spending this much on ruddy gloves.But when you miss an image you have frezzed your blummin nuts off for hours to get becuase your hands are so numb they don't work,it becomes easier. We can spend a small fortune on camera gear,what's the point if one can't feel the shutter.button I might get one chance somedays,it's imperative I can function in those few seconds

I'd make the same purchase again if I had to in a snap shot. the system will cope with anything,weather wise,the secret beyond the design is their handwarmers,which integrate into the gloves ,both shell and liner. Tactility,the ability to feel tiny buttons is good,with the thinner liners

I graft on sites in new build my hands are shot,my lady suffers with arthritis,if they work for us they will work for everyone. Some folks will say it doesn't matter what gloves I use, I have circulation issues I always get cold hands..simply they haven't used these gloves !!

.I stalk crawl about alot,shooting hares deer,my clothing gets a hammering. I don't know how long they will last,i'll ware them out quicker than most, but so far so good.

So very simply,these combined with the handwarmers will work for blighty. If one is fortunate to travel to really cold places the option of the polar hood exists. You are good for the artic,. Not for the warmer months here

I guess ya get what ya pay for. £150 or there abouts is ALOT of money for gloves,buying two pairs,messed with me big style. I need tools that work and got sick of the pain and missing images Cold hands and photography just don't mix

I have no affiliation to the heat company!! Guys not everyone can afford,I get how hard it is for many out there at the moment, £150 still seems madness for a pair of bloody gloves it's def worth looking at these liners,and the little warmers sachets as a base,maybe a cheeper shell can be found. I spent whole days in the snow last year,slipped a hend warmer between two thin pairs of socks on top of my feet,brilliant in my boots.............. toes were toasty all day I think some of the heat companies products will be useful even if ya don't buy the gloves them selves.. or maybe there are other similar options out there.to be explored. I'm really taken by how much these little heat sachets can help when placed in the right area of the body

We don't oft get minus 10 or what ever it got to earlier this year we are in the midlands it was brutal here. I was out in many of those days,as I couldn't work. I remember taking the gloves off rubbing my hands in the snow until I couldn't take it any more. then slowly putting the gloves back on,which as you can imagine took and age.. It took a while but these got my hands back toasty. I t's as hard a challenge as I could think of frankly and one i'm not terribly keen to repeat,they work !!

Not cheep do the job,zillions of glove options out there many already mentioned, have a dig for hestra

I can't really add much more £150 has meant I no longer suffer cold hands ,in all honestly I believe that will apply to all. i'd spend that again tomorrow. Whether that makes me mad I don't know I'm sure many reading this might think that.........

but no cold hands,rain and wind won't bother you either. :)

stu

I'm not keen on the types with the fold back thumb & fingertips as as the velcro annoys me, and I remember looking at the Aldi fishing gloves and finding several pairs where the stitching had already come apart in the shop, which didn't inspire confidence

I've just bought a pair of these: https://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/snowbee-lightweight-neoprene-gloves-13141-c2x17493663 and I'm really pleased with them. Several reviewers said that they're a snug fit, so I bought the next size up to what I normally get, and they fit me fine.

They're quite thin, so won't protect against sub-zero temperatures on their own, but they'll be fine if the intent is to wear a larger pair of gloves or mittens over them (that's what I plan to do as well!).

Cheers,

Dave

Another vote for macwets here (y)

Black pure Silk gloves with surgical rubber gloves on the top :)
Well I guess we all have our own little fetishises :eek::exit::LOL:

Black pure Silk gloves with surgical rubber gloves on the top :)
Well I guess we all have our own little fetishises :eek::exit::LOL:

I wasn't going to share that:oops: :$ , do you use them for wildlife as well:whistle::whistle:

I wasn't going to share that:oops: :$ , do you use them for wildlife as well:whistle::whistle:
Yes lol I first came across pure silk gloves when I had my first winter on a motorbike back in 1970.
I couldn’t believe the difference they made inside my leather gauntlets!
Oh and NO I don’t really have a leather fetishise to go with the silk and rubber :eek::exit::exit::ROFLMAO:

Phil we best stop there,your diggiing one hell of a hole for me to jump into:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I've done me serious post here so I guess i'm allowed some fun;)

Picked up a couple of pairs of gloves in Decathlon today that I think will work quite well for me.

I bought these mitts https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek-500-fingerless-mittains-id_8396265.html and these liners https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-silk-liner-gloves-blk-id_8396267.html

The mitts fold back to expose the fingers and thumb and are held in place with a magnet, so I will need to remove that to prevent it interfering with my compass. This is a common feature that has put me off buying the expensive photography specific gloves, but I don't mind cutting into a pair of £13 gloves.

Tried them quickly once I got home, my camera handles well with the gloves and the touch screen works through the liners.

Me too - it’s the wind proof and waterproof qualities that makes them a winner for me. Ive made snowmen in mine and still had dry hands. Their socks and bob hats are equally as good

LD we are about 9months in with a pair each of the gloves Mr B mentioned. they are made by the heat company, A no expense spared exercise in glove design made for Austrian special forces..................https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb worth having a search as advised I wrote a fair bit about them at the time

They are not cheep. I bought around the time the beast from the east hit. i'd got to the stage of somedays missing images because my hands get so cold.

We use a couple of pairs of the green shell with the separate liners,I'd not buy the all in one,you want the freedom to change liners,we use tactility,mainly, I also feel the liners might ware first,so best have the options afforded by a separate shell !!

they are on the edge of too warm,certainly so in the summer months But now just starting to come into regular use. I shoot wildlife.

Honestly I baulked at the thought of spending this much on ruddy gloves.But when you miss an image you have frezzed your blummin nuts off for hours to get becuase your hands are so numb they don't work,it becomes easier. We can spend a small fortune on camera gear,what's the point if one can't feel the shutter.button I might get one chance somedays,it's imperative I can function in those few seconds

I'd make the same purchase again if I had to in a snap shot. the system will cope with anything,weather wise,the secret beyond the design is their handwarmers,which integrate into the gloves ,both shell and liner. Tactility,the ability to feel tiny buttons is good,with the thinner liners

I graft on sites in new build my hands are shot,my lady suffers with arthritis,if they work for us they will work for everyone. Some folks will say it doesn't matter what gloves I use, I have circulation issues I always get cold hands..simply they haven't used these gloves !!

.I stalk crawl about alot,shooting hares deer,my clothing gets a hammering. I don't know how long they will last,i'll ware them out quicker than most, but so far so good.

So very simply,these combined with the handwarmers will work for blighty. If one is fortunate to travel to really cold places the option of the polar hood exists. You are good for the artic,. Not for the warmer months here

I guess ya get what ya pay for. £150 or there abouts is ALOT of money for gloves,buying two pairs,messed with me big style. I need tools that work and got sick of the pain and missing images Cold hands and photography just don't mix

I have no affiliation to the heat company!! Guys not everyone can afford,I get how hard it is for many out there at the moment, £150 still seems madness for a pair of bloody gloves it's def worth looking at these liners,and the little warmers sachets as a base,maybe a cheeper shell can be found. I spent whole days in the snow last year,slipped a hend warmer between two thin pairs of socks on top of my feet,brilliant in my boots.............. toes were toasty all day I think some of the heat companies products will be useful even if ya don't buy the gloves them selves.. or maybe there are other similar options out there.to be explored. I'm really taken by how much these little heat sachets can help when placed in the right area of the body

We don't oft get minus 10 or what ever it got to earlier this year we are in the midlands it was brutal here. I was out in many of those days,as I couldn't work. I remember taking the gloves off rubbing my hands in the snow until I couldn't take it any more. then slowly putting the gloves back on,which as you can imagine took and age.. It took a while but these got my hands back toasty. I t's as hard a challenge as I could think of frankly and one i'm not terribly keen to repeat,they work !!

Not cheep do the job,zillions of glove options out there many already mentioned, have a dig for hestra

I can't really add much more £150 has meant I no longer suffer cold hands ,in all honestly I believe that will apply to all. i'd spend that again tomorrow. Whether that makes me mad I don't know I'm sure many reading this might think that.........

but no cold hands,rain and wind won't bother you either. :)

stu

Agree (y)

I've always had bluddy cold hands. I'd happily pay £150 for warm gloves if they really worked for photography, but I'm hoping I won't have to :) The £150-plus cost is the combined price of The Heat Company's full Heat 3 Layer System (the liner, the expensive main glove shell, and optional waterproof outer mitt) but I think I'll be okay with just their Merino heated liner gloves - just ordered them for £31 shipped. They will fit inside my Lowepro Alpine Turbine Convertable Mitts (now discontinued I think) and most other mitts too, similar to the (much cheaper) Heat-2 gloves.

Important features for me are a) warmth, with a pouch to slip in a disposable hand-warmer, b) good finger dexterity, and c) touch-screen sensitive fingertips. Though it hardly seems like rocket science, I've not seen another pair of liners with all these features. The Lowepros I have are pretty good except for inevitably cold fingers when the mitt is folded back, ie mostly. I sometimes wear them over disposable nitrile gloves (medical etc) and they help quite a lot, but they're hard to get on/off and nothing works like an actual heat source inside. With these new Heat Company Merino liners inside my Lowepro convertible mitts, I should be able to stow away maybe three disposable warmers in each hand if needs be (y)

The Heat Company seems to be popular with photographers, lots of reviews via google. Merino liners link:
https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/merino-liner

Last edited:

Just to explain The Heat Company's products, which isn't entirely clear to the uninitiated from the website and has changed over the years.

Their original product was the Heat-3 Smart I believe, which has the liner stitched into the main glove (shell). In the newer Heat-3 Layer system, the liner glove is separate and removeable. Then there's also the Heat-2 glove that is basically a lighter, less bulky and less extreme shell. This looks more suitable for me, and is much cheaper. The Polar outer mitt can be used over any gloves.

IMHO the appeal of The Heat Company's products is the built-in pouches for disposable hand-warmers. They're the key to success for me (y)

I use the "macwet" gloves and find them great. They offer as good, if not better, camera control than bare hands. True they are not the warmest, but I suffer from Raynaud syndrome and they are fine for my winter uses. All my other bits freeze off but my hands are fine;)

Back