GLOVES!

Hi all,

Winter is fast approaching and using a camera is at best unpleasant and at worst impossible when it's cold, wet and windy, so I'm in the market for some decent gloves.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a decent pair of thinnish under gloves which will provide warmth on their own when using the camera, and maybe some mittens over the top (with fingers which fold open) for wind/waterproofing when I'm not directly using the camera.

All suggestions welcome :)

I rarely wear gloves, even when out on the bike, but recently we had a very cold spell - that freezing wind that can chap your knuckles! I have a cheap pair of gloves that I only ever wear on days like this, they cost me €1.50 in Dealz 2 years back. I didn't think they would work well with the camera, but they did - touch screen, all controls, not a bother. What I'm saying is, try a cheap pair before splashing out, you might be surprised.

Sealskinz Hunter I think they are called. They have magnetic clips for the thumb and for finger. Very warm. Well worth the money.

I rarely wear gloves, even when out on the bike, but recently we had a very cold spell - that freezing wind that can chap your knuckles! I have a cheap pair of gloves that I only ever wear on days like this, they cost me €1.50 in Dealz 2 years back. I didn't think they would work well with the camera, but they did - touch screen, all controls, not a bother. What I'm saying is, try a cheap pair before splashing out, you might be surprised.

Excellent advice, I will give that a go before splashing out :)

The Heat Company - exceptional customer service

As above, the Merino Liners from The Heat Company arrived a few days ago, very nice quality but with a faulty seam that looked like it might get worse. Also, being Merino wool, they were a bit slippy holding the camera, setting dials, adjusting a tripod etc, so I thought I'd return them and ask to upgrade for the leather Durable Liners and pay the extra £14.

I got an immediate reply - sorry for the problem, yes of course you can upgrade them, a pair of the leather liners are already on their way, at no extra cost, and please keep the Merino Liners.

The Durable Liners arrived today. They're excellent, with just the right tactile leather feel, very like skin in fact. I've never been happy with gloved fingers using a camera before (y)
https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/durable-liner

The Heat Company - exceptional customer service

As above, the Merino Liners from The Heat Company arrived a few days ago, very nice quality but with a faulty seam that looked like it might get worse. Also, being Merino wool, they were a bit slippy holding the camera, setting dials, adjusting a tripod etc, so I thought I'd return them and ask to upgrade for the leather Durable Liners and pay the extra £14.

I got an immediate reply - sorry for the problem, yes of course you can upgrade them, a pair of the leather liners are already on their way, at no extra cost, and please keep the Merino Liners.

The Durable Liners arrived today. They're excellent, with just the right tactile leather feel, very like skin in fact. I've never been happy with gloved fingers using a camera before (y)
https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/durable-liner

Good stuff rich,I'm invested in the heat company as you know,lovely to see this kind of service when a problem arises. You have bought the two liners i've not yet seen,my lady being allergic to lanolin,I avoided the merino,and tried polartec and tactility. Rich could you please tell me your opinion on how robust the durability liners are. I'm musing them as a work glove more than for photography. I apply silicone to houses,holding a metal gun and climbing ladders can be brutal in the winter months. Once my hands go so does the ability to earn. It's far more physical than most photography (I say most,ok trundling two hundred on one's gut for a hare is pretty physical;)) I don't think i'll need a shell,because me core temp is higher,but the durability and the option of a heat sachet seems worth musing. Primarily I'm worried I'll go though them very quickly,it's hard to tell what they are really like from the odd image I've seen

Thanks in advance,just your thoughts will do:) I'm reassured already after using their products,but it would be lovely to have an opinion from someone whom has handled them

cheers

stu

Tried a friend's MacWets recently and ended up buying a pair - they're just right for me, very tactile. They're not the warmest but keep the wind off which is what I was after

Good stuff rich,I'm invested in the heat company as you know,lovely to see this kind of service when a problem arises. You have bought the two liners i've not yet seen,my lady being allergic to lanolin,I avoided the merino,and tried polartec and tactility. Rich could you please tell me your opinion on how robust the durability liners are. I'm musing them as a work glove more than for photography. I apply silicone to houses,holding a metal gun and climbing ladders can be brutal in the winter months. Once my hands go so does the ability to earn. It's far more physical than most photography (I say most,ok trundling two hundred on one's gut for a hare is pretty physical;)) I don't think i'll need a shell,because me core temp is higher,but the durability and the option of a heat sachet seems worth musing. Primarily I'm worried I'll go though them very quickly,it's hard to tell what they are really like from the odd image I've seen

Thanks in advance,just your thoughts will do:) I'm reassured already after using their products,but it would be lovely to have an opinion from someone whom has handled them

cheers

stu

Durable? As in suitable for a lot of outdoor manual work, I would say is a bit of a misnomer. The leather is very soft and supple, with good finger dexterity and tactile feel, but not very hard-wearing if you're climbing ladders and using tools all day, and not waterproof without an outer layer.

Edit: nothing to stop you putting a heat sachet down the back of any pair of gloves really. I'm no expert, but I'd be inclined to get some cheap leather/suede fingerless workman's cloves, and wear them over those black nitrile disposable mechanic's gloves with a heat sachet in-between. Put a couple of battery warming packs in your jacket pockets and shove your hands in there for a top up.
Nitrile gloves give excellent grip and feel plus more warmth than you might think (waterproof, high resistance to wind-chill) but they can make your hands sweat a bit and are hard to get on/off when inside another glove.

Last edited:
LD we are about 9months in with a pair each of the gloves Mr B mentioned. they are made by the heat company, A no expense spared exercise in glove design made for Austrian special forces..................https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb worth having a search as advised I wrote a fair bit about them at the time

They are not cheep. I bought around the time the beast from the east hit. i'd got to the stage of somedays missing images because my hands get so cold.

We use a couple of pairs of the green shell with the separate liners,I'd not buy the all in one,you want the freedom to change liners,we use tactility,mainly, I also feel the liners might ware first,so best have the options afforded by a separate shell !!

they are on the edge of too warm,certainly so in the summer months But now just starting to come into regular use. I shoot wildlife.

Honestly I baulked at the thought of spending this much on ruddy gloves.But when you miss an image you have frezzed your blummin nuts off for hours to get becuase your hands are so numb they don't work,it becomes easier. We can spend a small fortune on camera gear,what's the point if one can't feel the shutter.button I might get one chance somedays,it's imperative I can function in those few seconds

I'd make the same purchase again if I had to in a snap shot. the system will cope with anything,weather wise,the secret beyond the design is their handwarmers,which integrate into the gloves ,both shell and liner. Tactility,the ability to feel tiny buttons is good,with the thinner liners

I graft on sites in new build my hands are shot,my lady suffers with arthritis,if they work for us they will work for everyone. Some folks will say it doesn't matter what gloves I use, I have circulation issues I always get cold hands..simply they haven't used these gloves !!

.I stalk crawl about alot,shooting hares deer,my clothing gets a hammering. I don't know how long they will last,i'll ware them out quicker than most, but so far so good.

So very simply,these combined with the handwarmers will work for blighty. If one is fortunate to travel to really cold places the option of the polar hood exists. You are good for the artic,. Not for the warmer months here

I guess ya get what ya pay for. £150 or there abouts is ALOT of money for gloves,buying two pairs,messed with me big style. I need tools that work and got sick of the pain and missing images Cold hands and photography just don't mix

I have no affiliation to the heat company!! Guys not everyone can afford,I get how hard it is for many out there at the moment, £150 still seems madness for a pair of bloody gloves it's def worth looking at these liners,and the little warmers sachets as a base,maybe a cheeper shell can be found. I spent whole days in the snow last year,slipped a hend warmer between two thin pairs of socks on top of my feet,brilliant in my boots.............. toes were toasty all day I think some of the heat companies products will be useful even if ya don't buy the gloves them selves.. or maybe there are other similar options out there.to be explored. I'm really taken by how much these little heat sachets can help when placed in the right area of the body

We don't oft get minus 10 or what ever it got to earlier this year we are in the midlands it was brutal here. I was out in many of those days,as I couldn't work. I remember taking the gloves off rubbing my hands in the snow until I couldn't take it any more. then slowly putting the gloves back on,which as you can imagine took and age.. It took a while but these got my hands back toasty. I t's as hard a challenge as I could think of frankly and one i'm not terribly keen to repeat,they work !!

Not cheep do the job,zillions of glove options out there many already mentioned, have a dig for hestra

I can't really add much more £150 has meant I no longer suffer cold hands ,in all honestly I believe that will apply to all. i'd spend that again tomorrow. Whether that makes me mad I don't know I'm sure many reading this might think that.........

but no cold hands,rain and wind won't bother you either. :)

stu

Just to explain The Heat Company's products, which isn't entirely clear to the uninitiated from the website and has changed over the years.

Their original product was the Heat-3 Smart I believe, which has the liner stitched into the main glove (shell). In the newer Heat-3 Layer system, the liner glove is separate and removeable. Then there's also the Heat-2 glove that is basically a lighter, less bulky and less extreme shell. This looks more suitable for me, and is much cheaper. The Polar outer mitt can be used over any gloves.

IMHO the appeal of The Heat Company's products is the built-in pouches for disposable hand-warmers. They're the key to success for me (y)

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I was hoping some suggestions would crop up. I was out Saturday morning and my hands got quite cold waiting around. I was wearing some sealskinz gloves had for a few years, they aren't the warmest when it gets really cold and whilst water doesn't penetrate inside the gloves the outer soaks up water some much that you can squeeze the water out. .

I've never heard of the heat company before and looking at their website I can see why they are confusing. Can I ask how exactly they layer up? So any of the liner gloves can be worn on their own or beneath one of the shells. The third layer- the Polar Hood is the waterproof part. Can that layer be worn over the liner gloves without wearing a shell?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I was hoping some suggestions would crop up. I was out Saturday morning and my hands got quite cold waiting around. I was wearing some sealskinz gloves had for a few years, they aren't the warmest when it gets really cold and whilst water doesn't penetrate inside the gloves the outer soaks up water some much that you can squeeze the water out. .

I've never heard of the heat company before and looking at their website I can see why they are confusing. Can I ask how exactly they layer up? So any of the liner gloves can be worn on their own or beneath one of the shells. The third layer- the Polar Hood is the waterproof part. Can that layer be worn over the liner gloves without wearing a shell?

I only know what I've read on the website. As I understand it, the 'Heat-3 System' refers to a liner, plus the main 'shell' glove, plus the outer Polar Hood. The shell glove can be either the Shell convertible mittens, or the less protective (and much cheaper) Heat2 shell gloves. The Polar Hood is the waterproof outer mitten that can be worn over anything I think, if the size is right. Then there is also the Heat3 glove that is basically the Shell with sewn-in liner - I think this was the original design?

All this isn't very clear from the website for the uninitiated. Any queries, email Madlen Hermann at THC - she's very prompt and helpful (y)

Making the perfect gloves for photographers is not easy - we have conflicting requirements. The need for warmth and thick insulation is fundamentally at odds with the fine finger dexterity needed to adjust small dials/buttons and touch screens designed for bare hands. We also need good tactile grip for safe holding of cameras/lenses and tripods etc. Another difficulty is that we're often inactive, standing on the sidelines of a game or sitting in a bird hide etc, so there's no real muscle activity to keep circulation up and the body's natural reaction is to restrict blood flow to extremities like hands and feet. Good gloves seem to be more about slowing down the inevitable cooling process rather than actually keeping properly warm, which is why I favour some kind of built-in heat source.

First off.. whats the point of fingerless gloves? haha.. seriously ?

Second.. I wear a pair of thermal wooly gloves.. they are a bit thick but i certainly manage to shoot OK .. I use BBF and all works fine and my fingers are warm... £4 off market :)

First off.. whats the point of fingerless gloves? haha.. seriously ?

Second.. I wear a pair of thermal wooly gloves.. they are a bit thick but i certainly manage to shoot OK .. I use BBF and all works fine and my fingers are warm... £4 off market :)

You're just lucky. Hard as a rock, with nerves of steel, muscles of iron... and a knob of butter :D

I only know what I've read on the website. As I understand it, the 'Heat-3 System' refers to a liner, plus the main 'shell' glove, plus the outer Polar Hood. The shell glove can be either the Shell convertible mittens, or the less protective (and much cheaper) Heat2 shell gloves. The Polar Hood is the waterproof outer mitten that can be worn over anything I think, if the size is right. Then there is also the Heat3 glove that is basically the Shell with sewn-in liner - I think this was the original design?

All this isn't very clear from the website for the uninitiated. Any queries, email Madlen Hermann at THC - she's very prompt and helpful (y)
Thanks for the help. Having looked at the website again I think I understand a bit more now. The Heat 2 and Heat 3 glove sets are combined (sewn together) liner and shell which can be used with the polar hood top layer. The separate liner and shell gloves seem like a good idea as you can vary the liner worn inside the shell or worn without the shell depending on weather conditions.

If anyone is interested in the heat company gloves there is a 10% discount code at the bottom of this blog review:

https://capturetheatlas.com/heat-3-smart-review-gloves-for-photography/

Thanks for the help. Having looked at the website again I think I understand a bit more now. The Heat 2 and Heat 3 glove sets are combined (sewn together) liner and shell which can be used with the polar hood top layer. The separate liner and shell gloves seem like a good idea as you can vary the liner worn inside the shell or worn without the shell depending on weather conditions.

If anyone is interested in the heat company gloves there is a 10% discount code at the bottom of this blog review:

https://capturetheatlas.com/heat-3-smart-review-gloves-for-photography/

So it's not just me getting confused with the various options :thinking: I think only the Heat3 gloves come with stitched-in liner. Heat2 gloves are basically a less protective and cheaper version of the main Shell and can also be worn with separate liners, though I've now learned that the thinnest Merino liner is the preferred option as the others are a bit tight for the half-finger design.

Rob you won't need the outer polar hood,well not for blighty,. If the thinner liners,plus a shell are good enough for that brutal storm earlier this year,plausibly the coldest since my birth year,then it doesn't need to figure.bar absolute extremes ie artic. Rob despite what I'll say later it's a lot of money for gloves,I pushed then very hard wanting to know for myself if that money was wasted or well spent !!

I've been out in pouring pouring rain,I can't tell you my hands were dry,I can tell you I'd remember if it bothered me in any way. I'm not sure how water proof the synthetic shell ,we use is. But it certainly doesn't get sodden or absorb water.,same with the liners i've used....leather might be different???? .

Rob the three layers all link with carabiners and loops complete with a wrist band so fools like me don't loose them.. :D If you are considering I'd go separate shell and liner, With Richard's thoughts you have two of us using the 4 liner options ,honeslty the tactility keeps me warm ,with shell and heat pack options so it should most. Mate have a search on you tube ,there are a good few videos about,it might help with your choices.

With the shell,you have a fold back magnetic mitten,it looks bulky,but doesn't get in the way as much as one might think. also a mini version on the thumb, The zip on the palm once closed provides a very warm glove,I'm as sure as I can be it will be good in much harsher conditions than we expereince in blighty .

Buddy if you are musing this and maybe don't want to spend too much grab a liner and some heat sachets,.Honestly I'd go shell aswell Frankly for me there came a point when a poxy 150 notes compared to how much ( ie camera and lens) that I couldn't work with frozen hands clinched it..

the heat 2 figured in my thoughts for a good while,much cheeper and again the access to those heat packs.but I didn't particularly want bare fingers

Oh Rob if it helps,I simply tell folks they are the only glove I had to grab an A level,to be able to put them on;)

Don't go for the integral liner and shell !!!!!!!!!!.. Buy separate shell to liner,we use this one

.https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/shell?number=33140..

cheers

stu

Durable? As in suitable for a lot of outdoor manual work, I would say is a bit of a misnomer. The leather is very soft and supple, with good finger dexterity and tactile feel, but not very hard-wearing if you're climbing ladders and using tools all day, and not waterproof without an outer layer.

Edit: nothing to stop you putting a heat sachet down the back of any pair of gloves really. I'm no expert, but I'd be inclined to get some cheap leather/suede fingerless workman's cloves, and wear them over those black nitrile disposable mechanic's gloves with a heat sachet in-between. Put a couple of battery warming packs in your jacket pockets and shove your hands in there for a top up.
Nitrile gloves give excellent grip and feel plus more warmth than you might think (waterproof, high resistance to wind-chill) but they can make your hands sweat a bit and are hard to get on/off when inside another glove.

Ahh mate time for a top up, bliss :LOL: ,sometimes I really honestly believe the new build house industry is so far in the dark ages I half expect a t rex to meander by

Rich your post is half what I was hoping not to hear but sadly half expected,I wondered if I might just destroy them !! Mind the other products I am using have held up well to the stalking aspect of my image making if i'm honest I really wondered if they would. they don't look terribly hard waring and they are recieving a hammering when I'm given a chance,hands come into play alot when one is crawling

many thanks for the reply Richard very useful thank you !!

Oh if you want glove confusion try this....................https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/outdoor/................TBH it's quite nice reading yours and Rob's confusion,I really though it was me:rolleyes:

take care

So it's not just me getting confused with the various options :thinking: I think only the Heat3 gloves come with stitched-in liner. Heat2 gloves are basically a less protective and cheaper version of the main Shell and can also be worn with separate liners, though I've now learned that the thinnest Merino liner is the preferred option as the others are a bit tight for the half-finger design.
Rob you won't need the outer polar hood,well not for blighty,. If the thinner liners,plus a shell are good enough for that brutal storm earlier this year,plausibly the coldest since my birth year,then it doesn't need to figure.bar absolute extremes ie artic. Rob despite what I'll say later it's a lot of money for gloves,I pushed then very hard wanting to know for myself if that money was wasted or well spent !!

I've been out in pouring pouring rain,I can't tell you my hands were dry,I can tell you I'd remember if it bothered me in any way. I'm not sure how water proof the synthetic shell ,we use is. But it certainly doesn't get sodden or absorb water.,same with the liners i've used....leather might be different???? .

Rob the three layers all link with carabiners and loops complete with a wrist band so fools like me don't loose them.. :D If you are considering I'd go separate shell and liner, With Richard's thoughts you have two of us using the 4 liner options ,honeslty the tactility keeps me warm ,with shell and heat pack options so it should most. Mate have a search on you tube ,there are a good few videos about,it might help with your choices.

With the shell,you have a fold back magnetic mitten,it looks bulky,but doesn't get in the way as much as one might think. also a mini version on the thumb, The zip on the palm once closed provides a very warm glove,I'm as sure as I can be it will be good in much harsher conditions than we expereince in blighty .

Buddy if you are musing this and maybe don't want to spend too much grab a liner and some heat sachets,.Honestly I'd go shell aswell Frankly for me there came a point when a poxy 150 notes compared to how much ( ie camera and lens) that I couldn't work with frozen hands clinched it..

the heat 2 figured in my thoughts for a good while,much cheeper and again the access to those heat packs.but I didn't particularly want bare fingers

Oh Rob if it helps,I simply tell folks they are the only glove I had to grab an A level,to be able to put them on;)

Don't go for the integral liner and shell !!!!!!!!!!.. Buy separate shell to liner,we use this one

.https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/shell?number=33140..

cheers

stu
Thanks for your help. I’ve placed an order for durable liner gloves. I’m hoping they can be worn on their own to see how warm they are. I like the idea of the shells but the zip opening on the palm makes me wonder about it will rub on camera. In the photos when the mitt is open the zip google can be seen on different ends. I’m just thinking it could potential rub on the camera if it’s between the thumb and fore finger when the mitt is open.

Thanks for your help. I’ve placed an order for durable liner gloves. I’m hoping they can be worn on their own to see how warm they are. I like the idea of the shells but the zip opening on the palm makes me wonder about it will rub on camera. In the photos when the mitt is open the zip google can be seen on different ends. I’m just thinking it could potential rub on the camera if it’s between the thumb and fore finger when the mitt is open.

The Durable Liners are very wearable on their own. That's how I hope to be using them most of the time TBH. The wind-proofing will help a lot, and there's the heat-pad pouch on the back of the hand of course, but they don't have much real insulation. The Shell gloves, apart from excellent insulation and high water resistance, also allow you to stuff a heat-pad down the back of the fingers which would be just the job with the mitt flipped back on.

Not sure how the kind of zip problem you mention would occur normally. Also, it would be a fairly obvious issue mentioned in reviews but I've not seen it raised.

Not sure how the kind of zip problem you mention would occur normally. Also, it would be a fairly obvious issue mentioned in reviews but I've not seen it raised.
I’m just thinking aloud really. What I’m thinking is if the metal zip/toggle part was between the finger and thumb when holding the camera with the mitt open (very unlikely to use the camera with the mitt closed) could the zip/toggle part rub on the solide/top of the camera as you move your thumb and finger around the camera controls.

What is confusing is there are photos which show the zip opening in different directions (ie left to right and right to left on the same left handed glove).

In this photo it’s the way I would expect it- zip at the bottom and out of the way when the mitt is open.

FA430888-B2BC-485D-8FE4-4ADB36A85613.jpeg

In this photo the zip is between the thumb and first finger when the mitt is open- the complete opposite to the above photo.

A0AE98BB-8D33-40CD-9BEE-EEACFEC78E56.jpegIt’s in this position that I feel there would be more chance for rubbing to occur whilst holding and using the camera.

Perhaps the reason for photos show different zip opening directions is one is an older design and they have changed the zip opening direction around.

Yes, I see what you're getting at, but I tried it with a similar pair of gloves and no danger for me. If that's what's holding you back from getting a pair of THC Shells, I would email Madlen about it. If she says not a problem as far as we know but feel free to return if you don't like them, then you can't really lose.

Yes, I see what you're getting at, but I tried it with a similar pair of gloves and no danger for me. If that's what's holding you back from getting a pair of THC Shells, I would email Madlen about it. If she says not a problem as far as we know but feel free to return if you don't like them, then you can't really lose.
It’s more of a thought and wondering if it’s actucally a problem. It’s not exactly holding back on purchasing the shell. I will email them to enquiry about it.

I emailed The Heat Company about the zips and they were very helpful. It turns out they do some of their range with the zip opening in different directions (hence the photos) as it’s something that’s come up before. I asked why, their response was (in referenced to the zip closed position):

Usually skiers, mountaineers and so on prefer to have the zip down on the little finger side, because it`s more comfortable when using / carrying sticks.

photographers and hunters very often like to have the other direction. It allows them to open the zip just a bit and get out with just the index finger for using the trigger of cameras, guns etc.

Now I can see the benefit of both as I have walking poles and use a camera.

just read the above but had just taken a photo of mine (a few years old now though)

glove.jpg

sorry poor camera photo.

just read the above but had just taken a photo of mine (a few years old now though)

glove.jpg

sorry poor camera photo.
Thank you for the photos, it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would be (guess that’s the problem of buying on the internet rather than seeing them in person). The zip is behind rather than in front of the index finger and therefore out of the way of the camera. It makes me think I would better with the zip the other way around as it’s out of the way of the camera when open and out of the way of walking poles when closed. I doubt I would use the single finger out option.

Last edited:
It’s more of a thought and wondering if it’s actucally a problem. It’s not exactly holding back on purchasing the shell. I will email them to enquiry about it.
It's a thought that hadn't occured to me Rob at all. I have the zip open between finger and thumb as with Jase above. The zip actually ends up more towards the back of one's hand when fully open. For me using the 1D series canon bodies,ie big old lump of a body the zip does have the potential to touch the camera,but essentially it's the cloth tab not tip of zip which might connect.

I've checked both my bodies...especially the 1Div,which has had more use with these gloves,nada, nothing, no rub marks to speak of at all. As I say as a user it's something I hadn't thought of and in use it's never been an issue.for me

I honestly think you are good,the only thing I can plausibly think of might be our hand sizes,but even then the zip is still going to be towards the back of your hand rather than the palm. that little cloth tab to aid zip closure might be an unforseen godsend ;) It might be a really clever design,they have put a bit of thought into these gloves!!

Rob,i'm actually your perfect guinea pig for this one,I'd lay a bet I push these gloves as hard as anyone(photography wise) and I'm too much of a simpleton to see what you have. above.......So i've taken no precautions to safe guard my camera,/s

I 've studied both bodies hard, these zips are not marking the two large bodies I use

It's a thought that hadn't occured to me Rob at all. I have the zip open between finger and thumb as with Jase above. The zip actually ends up more towards the back of one's hand when fully open. For me using the 1D series canon bodies,ie big old lump of a body the zip does have the potential to touch the camera,but essentially it's the cloth tab not tip of zip which might connect.

I've checked both my bodies...especially the 1Div,which has had more use with these gloves,nada, nothing, no rub marks to speak of at all. As I say as a user it's something I hadn't thought of and in use it's never been an issue.for me

I honestly think you are good,the only thing I can plausibly think of might be our hand sizes,but even then the zip is still going to be towards the back of your hand rather than the palm. that little cloth tab to aid zip closure might be an unforseen godsend ;) It might be a really clever design,they have put a bit of thought into these gloves!!

Rob,i'm actually your perfect guinea pig for this one,I'd lay a bet I push these gloves as hard as anyone(photography wise) and I'm too much of a simpleton to see what you have. above.......So i've taken no precautions to safe guard my camera,/s

I‘ve studied both bodies hard, these zips are not marking the two large bodies I use
Thanks Stu. It’s good to know. I think my problem is over thinking it and only being able to go photos on the internet shop page. Normally it’s something that would easily be solved by going to a shop and have a look at them. Sadly thats not possible in this case but everyone on here and at the heat company have helped and put my mine at ease. It meant I’m going to go with the opposite of what I was thinking by getting the zip closed at the little finger option. Looks like that’s the best option for combining both photography and walking pole use.

Thanks Stu. It’s good to know. I think my problem is over thinking it and only being able to go photos on the internet shop page. Normally it’s something that would easily be solved by going to a shop and have a look at them. Sadly thats not possible in this case but everyone on here and at the heat company have helped and put my mine at ease. It meant I’m going to go with the opposite of what I was thinking by getting the zip closed at the little finger option. Looks like that’s the best option for combining both photography and walking pole use.

no not overthinking at all rob, You are right you want to try the damn things on simple as,especially when they cost what they do.!!

if that zip sits slightly to the back of your hand you should be good,the only thing I'd repeat is separate shell and liners mate. it keeps more options open and also I think those shells might outlast the( thinner) liners.

happy christmas kiddo

I've also read online that wrist warmers can also help as the heat escapes fastest from where the arteries are closest to the skin

My heat company gloves arrived over Christmas and new year (I ordered them in two separate orders). Initial impressions are they are well made. The durable liner gloves could easily be worn in their own. The shell gloves are very nice too. I can see them being very warm. It looks like they have made a recent change to the design as the thumb also has magnets rather than Velcro to hold it back when it’s open.

I have to say that I’m impressed with the heat company’s customer service. They replief promptly to me email about my initial worries regarding the zips. Their explanation (and everyone’s help on here) meant I changed my opinion and could actually see the benefit of the zip being between the thumb and first finger when the palm is open. Unfortunately I was sent the zips in the opposite way round after a mix up )these things happen). I also think I measured my hand too tightly (my mistake) as the durable liner gloves are a snug fit and difficult to pull off.

Having emailed them asking if I could send them back to sort out the zip and also change to the next size up they have surpassed my expectations. They have said it would be best to send me a new set of both the liner and shell gloves in the next size up (and the zip on the opposite side) so I can test both sizes and find which size is the best fit for me. I can then return the set I don’t need. If the set I already have is correct they said they will check to see if they have a set with the zip on the opposite side and sort out replacing them. They have even included a pre paid return label so there won’t be any cost to me. All in all it’s better customer service than I was expecting. It seems like they have both a good product and good customer service :)

The magnet thumb's been about a while Rob mine are those,I think they listen to the feedback users are giving and tweak the design, which to me already had a very sound footing The magnets do come unstuck but they go back easily enough,it isn't in any way bothersome for me. A definite improvement on velcro in my book, a snag and the noise of velcro splitting would probably spook a few subjects,the magnets are all but silent. I almost always have BBF running so just leave that thumb exposed ie folded back,if there's a weakness there I'll find it. I barely use the palm zips leaving them open slide fingers in and out. and just snap back the mit when needed. I really like the magnets and how easy they are to work with,!!

Rob it's hard to find anyone who has much bad to say bar the price,ha ha. That said one invests and it really appears they care about that investment it's lovely in our day an age. Every thing just worked for us ,so I've personally had little contact .
HNY kiddo:D

stu .

The magnet thumb's been about a while Rob mine are those,I think they listen to the feedback users are giving and tweak the design, which to me already had a very sound footing The magnets do come unstuck but they go back easily enough,it isn't in any way bothersome for me. A definite improvement on velcro in my book, a snag and the noise of velcro splitting would probably spook a few subjects,the magnets are all but silent. I almost always have BBF running so just leave that thumb exposed ie folded back,if there's a weakness there I'll find it. I barely use the palm zips leaving them open slide fingers in and out. and just snap back the mit when needed. I really like the magnets and how easy they are to work with,!!

Rob it's hard to find anyone who has much bad to say bar the price,ha ha. That said one invests and it really appears they care about that investment it's lovely in our day an age. Every thing just worked for us ,so I've personally had little contact .
HNY kiddo:D

stu .
HNY Stu. That’s good the thumb magnetic have been around for a while, it looks like an improvement on velcro. I think the thumb Velcro was mentioned in a review I read so it was a nice surprise when opening. I can see why you’re happy to keep the palm zips open all of the time. If it’s comfortable/still warm and there is the quick finger in and out access it’s win win.

To be honest nearly all of my contact with them has been due to issues created by me rather than them. It’s great to know they have good customer service especially when they are based in Austria.

I think they need to be like this ,it removes that slight worry of buying online an expensive product that really needs to fit well. They are basically giving customers that option to try on what isn't the most straight forwards product to get one's head around..

rob to my shame I knew to order slightly big, I came across it in a vid I think?? My bad,I tried to remember everything to pass on , should have made you aware.Sorry kiddo it's me.................. what ya see is what ya get:rolleyes:

All seems to have worked out though and I've learnt a bit more about the heat company.

As an aside........................Somewhere, I believe:D, I have stashed a pair of warmer pads wrapped . in a poly bag. I opened them around the time the beast from the east ended. tried to seal them back up to see if they might start working again months later once exposed to air If I ever find them:rolleyes: I'll pass forwards that snippet of info. . Slightly off the wall but one has to put these products through their paces...... right??;).

take care

stu

The Heat Company are going to supercede their durable liner glove by end of January.

Bought a pair for my Dad for Christmas, ended up not being the right size and so I have them now. The size he wants is out of stock and they won't be restocking it as it's being replaced.

I thought I would mention on this thread The Heat Company have a 25% off Black Friday deal going on until 2nd December and where I ended up a year on.

After some zip position and sizing issues last year, which they were awesome about sorting, I sent everything back to wait for the newer Wind Pro liners to become available. When I reordered in March I only went with the new Wind Pro liner gloves because I was unsure if I really needed the shells for the UK (it’s a lot of money for gloves and winter was pretty much gone by the time I reordered. I thought I’d make a decision this winter on the shells and see if they updated them)..... but I’ve finally ordered the outer shells! Partly because I feel they would be really useful during winter when it snows (doesn’t happen that often in the UK) and partly because the 25% discount makes them more cost effective.

https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb

Last edited:
It's the annual Gloves thread.
Silk liner gloves inside something thermal

Found a pair of windproof fleece gloves on Snowdon; wife used them for gardening until the fingerends were shot; I cleaned them up and cut off the ends of the thumbs and next 2 fingers. Superb for lens/filter changing and other fiddly things, and slipping a pair of Buffalo mitts over them warms the fingertips when needed.

Back