Godox AD200

So you're saying it's the same power as a 360ii?

There's also a manual for it floating around on the web I think

No, it's not saying that. This is the most telling comparison: "Bare Bulb in a 38″ Glow ParaPop (double diffused) – 0.3 stops less than the AD360II." All the other tests are more or less likely to be skewed by field coverage but this comparison, if properly done (and Elvis at FlashHavoc knows what he's about) should be within a tenth or two of accurate at worst.

It shows the AD200 performing well, a bit above where you might expect 200Ws to be, but not too far out of line bearing in mind that the AD360 is working through a power-sapping cable. The flash durations are longer on the AD200, possibly suggesting that maybe it's has been optimised for output (and Ws are a measure of energy stored, not brightness).

It's looking good though (y) I could do 90% of my flash work with a couple of these :)

No, it's not saying that. This is the most telling comparison: "Bare Bulb in a 38″ Glow ParaPop (double diffused) – 0.3 stops less than the AD360II." All the other tests are more or less likely to be skewed by field coverage but this comparison, if properly done (and Elvis at FlashHavoc knows what he's about) should be within a tenth or two of accurate at worst.

It shows the AD200 performing well, a bit above where you might expect 200Ws to be, but not too far out of line bearing in mind that the AD360 is working through a power-sapping cable. The flash durations are longer on the AD200, possibly suggesting that maybe it's has been optimised for output (and Ws are a measure of energy stored, not brightness).

It's looking good though (y) I could do 90% of my flash work with a couple of these :)

Thank you, my knowledge of flash power is severely lacking! It does look good, but because of my lack of knowledge I don't know if it'll be powerful enough for what I want! But i think I'll give one a go!

Light people at varying times of the day outside through an 80cm Octobox. I've got away with speedlights at weddings so far but I'm sure I'll hit their limitation soon enough.

Generally speaking, you can't have too much power shooting in bright daylight, with a decent size modifier at comfortable working distances. Rule of thumb is 400Ws, preferably 600Ws or more if you're looking to over-power the sun. For a bit of fill-in though, much less. The AD200 looks like it's made for easy ganging, ie two stacked together.

Generally speaking, you can't have too much power shooting in bright daylight, with a decent size modifier at comfortable working distances. Rule of thumb is 400Ws, preferably 600Ws or more if you're looking to over-power the sun. For a bit of fill-in though, much less. The AD200 looks like it's made for easy ganging, ie two stacked together.

A report suggests that there is alignment features on the body to gang them together.

Mike

Still seems a bit pricey though, it would be tempting in the £270 price bracket, having said that the compactness of it seems ideal for weddings, I could easily see these replacing speedlights very nicely at a wedding, I've just purchased the Hybrid from essential (Godox 360II) not had chance to use it yet apart from just basic testing only got it Thursday, but it looks like it's going to a great bit of kit, the only downside I can see is the battery being separate built in would be so much better, then comes the AD200, compact built in battery etc etc, if Godox bring out an AD300 or even better AD400 I think they will have absolutely nailed it, here's hoping :)

Some more hints there about how the AD200 system might grow, with a ringflash head and 400Ws head powered by two AD200s. It looks like an all-in-one 400Ws version would be too heavy for the concept, basically getting on for the same kind of bulk as the AD600, so this is a good workaround.

I'm liking the sound of this modular approach very much (y)

I'm quite looking forward to getting one to play with. Certainly looks like a flexible system.

The idea I can change the head and then pop on magnetic accessories to gel & grid like a Magmod will give me so much more flexibility.

If/when they bring out the 400Ws head, it'll probably mean I get rid of the AD360 and switch to 2x AD200's since that will give me more power than the AD360 whilst being able to split them and use them in different ways!

The only thing will be the price. I'll probably get 2 and replace some speedlights with them.

<snip>

The only thing will be the price. I'll probably get 2 and replace some speedlights with them.

Yes, I know what you mean, but the problem is we no longer just want 'a flash' to help out when the light gets too low, but four - to create a whole new light environment.

I think we're getting a bit spoilt. It was only a few years ago a decent speedlight cost £400, with no radio control. The Elinchrom Quadra still costs £1400, Profoto B2, Quantum Trio the same or more. The future's bright LOL

Reactions: TG.
It's priced higher than I wanted but then what isn't! It's probably still cheaper than a top of the range speedlight from Canon/Nikon.

I completely agree Richard. When I first heard about the AD200 I have to admit my first thought was 'no thanks'. But as I read more and thought about it. It seems Godox have really thought it through.

There's so many flashes out there nowadays but I'm imagining that the AD200's will give me flexibility and speed me up which is essential for wedding photography. I'll pay extra for that. Godox really have built a great ecosystem.

I completely agree Richard. When I first heard about the AD200 I have to admit my first thought was 'no thanks'. But as I read more and thought about it. It seems Godox have really thought it through.

There's so many flashes out there nowadays but I'm imagining that the AD200's will give me flexibility and speed me up which is essential for wedding photography. I'll pay extra for that. Godox really have built a great ecosystem.
I agree with all this, except...

I don't think I'll be investing in the Godox system because I don't really have enough 'need', though if I had the cash, I might do it anyway.

I guess it depends on what you class as 'need'. There's nothing I really NEED insofar as I cannot do it another way without it. But I am happy to upgrade gear and pay a bit more than a.n.other make/model if it helps me get my job done quicker, lightens my bag or just makes my damn life simpler.

For example I use a Godox v860ii. I know I can get a cheaper speedlight. In fact I have loads. I have basically paid extra just so each week I'm not charging loads of batteries. A v860ii can last me 3-4 weddings.

Latest I am reading is that there may be a new Godox S bracket into which you can mount 2 AD200's

Mike

Yes, and a suggestion that the mount/bracket could include modelling LEDs (y) I'm not sure if this idea is coming from Godox or is just Elvis/FlashHavoc's wishful thinking but it's a really good plan. The lack of a decently bright modelling lamp is IMHO the missing link to properly bridge the gap between battery/location heads and mains powered studio strobes. Maybe this is shaping up to be the biggest rethink of flash working for, well, a very long time. That could be my wishful thinking though :D

Yes, and a suggestion that the mount/bracket could include modelling LEDs (y) I'm not sure if this idea is coming from Godox or is just Elvis/FlashHavoc's wishful thinking but it's a really good plan. The lack of a decently bright modelling lamp is IMHO the missing link to properly bridge the gap between battery/location heads and mains powered studio strobes. Maybe this is shaping up to be the biggest rethink of flash working for, well, a very long time. That could be my wishful thinking though :D
According to his FB page, it's Elvis' wishful thinking. Looks awesome though. But maybe it doesn't make economical sense.

According to his FB page, it's Elvis' wishful thinking. Looks awesome though. But maybe it doesn't make economical sense.

You mean this? https://www.facebook.com/FlashHavoc...681494625319/1232996796793779/?type=3&theater

It wouldn't be difficult, but I don't know the market potential and Godox seem to be marketing this as more of a location/speedlight alternative than a studio strobe so perhaps pushing the boat out that far is not top of the list right now. We'll see :)

Actually, a third-party manufacturer could do it just as well. KickStarter anyone? Haha

For example I use a Godox v860ii. I know I can get a cheaper speedlight. In fact I have loads. I have basically paid extra just so each week I'm not charging loads of batteries. A v860ii can last me 3-4 weddings.

Yep same here, I love the fact I don't have to faff about with AAs anymore, and also the built in receiver in the V860II makes life a little easier, not having to worry about something else to put batteries in, or lose :)

At first I thought what an odd light but have recently started to think that they could actually make dam good companions to my Pixapro Hybrid 360 II for location work. No AA's and tons of power. Will take a closer look at The Photography Show in March.

Not sure how they've managed it, the 500+ pop at full power on one battery is good (and actually what they estimated!).

OK
I've changed my mind, it's a brilliant idea - I think I might have to put the AD360 up for sale.

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot with this model, I have the AD360II but where I use that I could use the AD200, better size & weight, more versatile etc. but until I can actually test I won't really know. What I fail to see is any great advantage of the AD360 which in itself is a great light.

Mike

Not sure when they're available, I would be pre-ordered if I hadn't got a voucher to use at Amazon.

As far as I know the full production run is about to start, sea delivery is 4-6 weeks so I doubt anybody will have stocks at the Photography Show and seeing how Dealer prices with warranty are inline with grey market I would only buy from a dealer

Mike

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot with this model, I have the AD360II but where I use that I could use the AD200, better size & weight, more versatile etc. but until I can actually test I won't really know. What I fail to see is any great advantage of the AD360 which in itself is a great light.

Mike
Yes
I think I expected it to be a stop weaker than the AD360 which wouldn't have interested me, but 1/3 of a stop weaker for the gains in portability is a game changer. It'll be interesting to see if there's a mkII version of the S bracket from Godox, though I'm assuming it's a simple Dremel job.

Yes
I think I expected it to be a stop weaker than the AD360 which wouldn't have interested me, but 1/3 of a stop weaker for the gains in portability is a game changer. It'll be interesting to see if there's a mkII version of the S bracket from Godox, though I'm assuming it's a simple Dremel job.

Vid says cheetah stand have redisgned the bracket but it also DIY-able and they're putting out instructions

Back