Good point and shoot/bridge for motorsport

Edit My Images
Yes
Is there a good bidge camera that doesnt cost a fortune with enough reach a small enough appeture to get good quality results?

I think you mean large enough aperture? Afraid the answer is still no - tiny sensor = rubbish quality and no shallow DOF, especially at distance....

nilagin uses a Panasonic bridge camera for motorsport and produces some excellent shots, some examples here,here and here

Last edited:
I started with a Nikon Bridge camera about 5/6 years ago as it was the 1st 8mp 10x optical zoom, it was ok when the light was good but suffered when cloudy but the ISO performance was terrible. The evf takes some getting used to too, but I'm sure they are a lot lot better now though as nilagin has shown.

He's only going to show the best isn't he?

Don't we all :shrug: if the op's budget only allows a bridge camera then at least they can get some good shots with some practice and if they get more serious get saving.

most people only how good photos. a brlliant one in every hundred photos for motorsport wouldnt be a bad return!

Might be worth you having a look at the Panasonic FZ38 18x zoom which is about 490mm equiv. A bridge camera but I do feel on this one the the point and shoot side is the superior part. In scene mode there is a fast shutter action which is very good. Ive only used mine of birds flapping wings sort of thing so cant comment on what it would be like for motosport. Around the £200 mark.

Last edited:
I do agree with andrewc though having started with a bridge then gone to DSLR I could never recommend a bridge over a DSLR :D

most people only how good photos. a brlliant one in every hundred photos for motorsport wouldnt be a bad return!

If that is the return you are looking for, have you thought of a pin-hole camera ??

As if they were the results I was getting, then I would probably be selling the camera and counting the stripes on the bar codes on the tins of groceries in the cupboards.

I would personally go for a cheap dslr and lens, when it's time for something better and you're getting more than one in a hundred shots you can then start to upgrade lenses steadily, then upgrade the body to match. If you buy a bridge and want to upgrade you are then buying totally new kit, buy a second hand dslr and upgrade gradually.

Last edited:
nilagin uses a Panasonic bridge camera for motorsport and produces some excellent shots, some examples here,here and here

thanks for that foggy. with a bridge cam they are som good shots!
Thanks.
He's only going to show the best isn't he? How many get binned?
Not that many now to be honest. I do get rusty from time to time and will have a batch of bad shots due to not getting out as much as I'd like, but once in the groove, bin rate is suprisingly low, even for me. :LOL: The Panasonics are really user friendly, sure there are limitations to what the camera can produce compared to a DSLR's versatility but for the money they are an excellent camera. The first AMD Golf shot at Brands for instance was first shot of the day after a long lay off period of taking any motorsport pictures, I even suprised myself with that one.

Back