Google Map - Poppies, Lavender, Sunflower Fields & Bluebells

Do people remove/move pins after they expire?

Crop rotation means that unless it's a (semi-)permanant feature (lavender, bluebells) any given location is likely to be valid for a period of several weeks and then pop-up somewhere else next year (rapeseed, sunflower, flax, poppies).

And surely I'm not the only photographer that prefers a field of brassicas to a field of rapeseed.. ..

Just for those who are unsure - Poppy plants usually flower in early to mid summer and is the first flower normally to appear in June, with an individual flower commonly lasting for 18 days. The clump then revives with fresh leaves and a second flush of flowers blooms from July to September.

Source - http://uk.ask.com/gardens/when_do_poppies_flower
Obviously open to other suggestions as local knowledge will always prevail :)

Weald Park, Brentwood, Essex, earlier today. It's on the map...

20120507_110944_09_LR.jpg

I know a decent amount of bluebell locations around Guildford, well at least three decent woods that I will add later today.

Does anyone know any wild garlic/ramson locations in the south?

Added a couple of guaranteed Bluebell locations. Both well worth the visit during the first week of May (y)

Has anyone seen any signs of poppies this summer yet in the Bristol area.

There were quite a few fields this time last year north of Bath that had good poppies but I've not seen anything yet this year.

They've been out for at least a week near me in Essex, but I've only seen the odd few at a time rather than fields of them.

EDIT : A couple of samples from this morning, shot for documentary value rather than art :D....

12%2520-%25201.jpg
12%2520-%25201.jpg

Oh, and here's another "documentary" shot from 5th June from the same area....

20120605_114714_3469_LR.jpg

So they've been out for a while and some are on their way out now.

Last edited:
Same in Northamptonshire/Warwickshire.

tdodd said:
They've been out for at least a week near me in Essex, but I've only seen the odd few at a time rather than fields of them.

I've done a quick Flickr search. There are some at the black stone location (wm) and somewhere in Salisbury plain. I guess the weather was not kind for them so far

Update - there's a great field of poppies on the A609 between Peterborough and Thrapston, I saw it last week but was embarking on a 3 hour drive so didn't get chance to stop

Poppies added near Blandford Forum, looking a bit sparse down this neck of the woods!

poppy field added to map. near St Albans, Sandridge Herts. Heartswood Forest, great parking and easy access. Beautiful place! postcode AL4 9DQ

Last edited:
daharro said:
Poppies added near Blandford Forum, looking a bit sparse down this neck of the woods!

Hopes are up, whereabouts in blandford? Hampshire would be even better!

The Blackstone poppies are now more or less over. There are about 10% flowers left and these are starting to look old. I managed to get a nice sunset shot last night, but the field looks pretty bland otherwise.
Middle of June is the best time to visit, just shame about the weather this year.

Next up - lavender and sunflower

cotswold lavender farm does not allow photographers into fields. You have to pay to enter site and closes at 5pm so no lovely sunset / sunrise photos which is a shame as only up the road from my work

we are almost back to the bloom season this year!

I went to have a look at the 'map' and sadly somebody has done a "great" job on it.

Any idea if google keep older revisions, and perhaps we should limit the full read/write access to the outsiders?

I think the plan is to have 2 versions - master that is only editable by the owner, and public one that can be synced.

If we don't sort out the old one I'll have to start a new one. Warning, the old one is not going to get anyone anywhere!

Just had a look and I was really happy for a minute I saw a lavender farm on my doorstep , then I realised someone's messed it up
You.fa like a good idea about doing 2 good thinking

we are almost back to the bloom season this year!

I went to have a look at the 'map' and sadly somebody has done a "great" job on it.

Any idea if google keep older revisions, and perhaps we should limit the full read/write access to the outsiders?

I think the plan is to have 2 versions - master that is only editable by the owner, and public one that can be synced.

If we don't sort out the old one I'll have to start a new one. Warning, the old one is not going to get anyone anywhere!

This is the reason that Ben and myself are the only two that can edit the light trails map, I'm not looking forward to seeing the state of the firework map later this year, in fact I may go and check it now and lock it down for a few months if all is still well on it, honestly what kind of arse gets there jollies off ruining the good work of others :(

Just like everything in this world they is always a got ready to mess it up for everyone

Well I've now locked down the firework map I don't think that it's been tamped with but I guess we will find out in sept/oct this year when it comes to checking and editing/adding locations for this years displays

no poppies in st albans, herts this year either :( is this map going to be updated? i vaguely heard rumours of a new map?

Did you manage to find the poppy field?? I went to balsall common today and couldn't find it anywhere, I walked for ages and drove all around. Let me know if you have any joy. Good luck!

No...did all sorts of googling too..

I dont work too far away, so I'll get some local kmowledge tomorrow.

Not checked through the thread to see if its already there, but I drove past a huge poppy field today, off the A44 opposite the A436 heading towards little rollright.

Not much parking around, but there was a footpath going down the far edge of the field, and according to the OS map, one going right through the middle too.

Also a few hundred yards further, the Rollright stones are there for all you astro photographers.. Its a dark sky location and great for start trails.

Back