GoPro HERO3: 2.7k 30fps, 1080p 60fps, 720p 120fps

It's like upgrading your 6mp camera to 12mp, the area filmed is physically larger so more detail will be apparent when viewed on larger monitors and when working with smaller resolutions, you can crop without having to enlarge the image afterwards.

The problem is that it's such a slow frame rate, whatever you film at 4k would have to be pretty still to avoid a horrible viewing experience.

You'll also get worse noise performance.

Does anyone else feel the footage coming out of the camera isn't at all as high quality as that in the gopro advert? Or is that because it hasn't yet been put through rigorous editing.

Most likely the editing but also remember - they would have take 50,60,70 whatever takes to make sure everything is just right in each shot. They may well be lighting scenes as well which of course will give much better results.

I think I might bite the bullet on this one... the camera price seems fair but all the mounts and gadgets to make proper use of it seem a tad overpriced, no?

I really shouldnt have read this thread, I convinced myself last week that I did not need one. Now I have convinced myself I really do need one for my up coming ski trip

I really shouldnt have read this thread, I convinced myself last week that I did not need one. Now I have convinced myself I really do need one for my up coming ski trip

I just sold my 2 to get the 3 :D Now I just need to convince myself that I should take up some extreme sport lol :LOL: I'll start off with some time lapse stuff first to get warmed up (y)

I think that when I'm in New York in a couple of weeks I may have to visit B&H to pick one up. Currently works out about £250. Must try and do it at the start though and maybe try a few timelapses etc.

Andy_S_T said:
I think that when I'm in New York in a couple of weeks I may have to visit B&H to pick one up. Currently works out about £250. Must try and do it at the start though and maybe try a few timelapses etc.

I think a sweet little timelapses would be dusk at the top of the empire state building. I've been there at that time and got some great shots. Get there in good time and if you do show us your low light results.

Last edited:
I sold it with the LCD BacPac and got a total of £230, but I'm seeing them go for around £200 on eBay.

Anybody got the Android app to work with the Hero 3 yet?

Trying to tether it to my Samsung S2 and it won't connect. The phone says "authentication problem" when I try to connect to the GoPro's wifi.

Done the usual, reboot everything 30 times, 'forget' any other networks, retype password, swear, repeat - to no avail.

Any ideas? (I've done the firmware update and set the GoPro's wifi to "GoPro App").

EDIT: Sorted, for some reason one of the files containing my new password hadn't copied to the camera correctly.

Last edited:
choc monste there loads of comparsons on you tube also lo light tests

mine dispatched 6pm today arrives Friday (tomorrow) weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just bought one (hero 3 black edition) as Im planning for a gap year and have a scuba diving holiday next month.

Obviously as a big kid I've been trying it out on anything and everything and like others say its great to have such a versatile, compact and tough camera!

Despite seeing countless underwater clips on YouTube I had to try it before I trusted it so dipped it in my local stream. It still works and the flat port housing is definitely an improvement.

I've recently been using it in clubs along with my event photography so can give some comparison to the iPhone 4S in that regard.

The auto ISO is impressive and gives a crystal clear image when there is enough light. In lower light though the grain is quite noticeable and I'm torn between this and the iPhone now due to the great low light performance on the iPhone and better battery life. Having said that, you can get much better camera angles with the go pro and have the freedom to swoop it up, down and everywhere :)

It definitely trumps the iPhone and any camera phone on sound though - when used with the dive housing there is basically no low end distortion in loud environments. High end is a bit tinny but i prefer that to distorted bass ruining the clip!

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like in this environment check out my most recent video on YouTube. It was shot behind the Dj booth with varying light conditions. 1080p 30fps. ( medium view mode i think). The sound at the very end of the clip is straight from the go pro untouched.

Www.youtube.com/MisterSteveOfficial
Clip is 'mark sherry - trailblazer (trance nation)'

For comparison the other clip 'my love' was shot on the iPhone although is a shaky video.

Hope this helps. Viva La GoPro!

Well I have mine trying to suss it out orded somr extra stuff mounts etc.
But need help from you guys
picture side Iam ok have lots of software
with being new to the video side, this is the side I need help with
what is the best software for splitting joining the videos (tutorials could help)
also the time lapse what do you use to mak eit into a video ?

I just bought one (hero 3 black edition) as Im planning for a gap year and have a scuba diving holiday next month.

Obviously as a big kid I've been trying it out on anything and everything and like others say its great to have such a versatile, compact and tough camera!

Despite seeing countless underwater clips on YouTube I had to try it before I trusted it so dipped it in my local stream. It still works and the flat port housing is definitely an improvement.

I've recently been using it in clubs along with my event photography so can give some comparison to the iPhone 4S in that regard.

The auto ISO is impressive and gives a crystal clear image when there is enough light. In lower light though the grain is quite noticeable and I'm torn between this and the iPhone now due to the great low light performance on the iPhone and better battery life. Having said that, you can get much better camera angles with the go pro and have the freedom to swoop it up, down and everywhere :)

It definitely trumps the iPhone and any camera phone on sound though - when used with the dive housing there is basically no low end distortion in loud environments. High end is a bit tinny but i prefer that to distorted bass ruining the clip!

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like in this environment check out my most recent video on YouTube. It was shot behind the Dj booth with varying light conditions. 1080p 30fps. ( medium view mode i think). The sound at the very end of the clip is straight from the go pro untouched.

Www.youtube.com/MisterSteveOfficial
Clip is 'mark sherry - trailblazer (trance nation)'

For comparison the other clip 'my love' was shot on the iPhone although is a shaky video.

Hope this helps. Viva La GoPro!

Did you need the diving housing on? I plan to use it while doing nightclub photography and would have thought would have been better without the housing.

what is the best software for splitting joining the videos (tutorials could help)

What computer have you got? I have a MacBook Pro and use iMovie. Its a really easy bit of software to use and great for removing unwanted sections of film, adding effects etc.

Hers my first GoPro video (using iMovie), nothing exciting, I just wanted to try out my GoPro and do some editing with iMovie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUIkIaS7vs

Last edited:
Load farmer.
I am a pc based Sorry so the IMovie. Not much use to me, looking about
It looks like it a mixed bag Sony Vegas also some use final cut
Going to have delve a bit harder

The Final Cut software is good, I use the basic one and its a step up from iMovie.

I've also just bought some LCD Touch bacpac's and they are amazing bits of kit!

Did you need the diving housing on? I plan to use it while doing nightclub photography and would have thought would have been better without the housing.

Hi Lolage,

Yes the Dive Housing was on. You need the housing in order to mount the camera (i.e. to poles, harnesses, straps etc.) Without the housing the GoPro is literally just a cuboid with flat surfaces.

I've been curios to hear audio without the housing to see how it handles the bass/LF... I may try opening the latch slightly so it's no longer air tight.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Why not buy another case and drill holes etc or make a holder for camera

there is another clip on back to the housing that has open areas for sound that ships with it... just remember to swap it over again when going underwater ;)

Back