GoPro HERO3: 2.7k 30fps, 1080p 60fps, 720p 120fps

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
GoPro have released a new camera, I have to say - the specs look sick!

Very tempted to get one, price is going to be around £350.

[YOUTUBE]A3PDXmYoF5U&list=UUqhnX4jA0A5paNd1v-zEysw&index=1&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

goproHDHero3_resolutions.jpg

fricken incredible specs. Will have to order one, my hero2 has been one of the most useful and coolest things I've ever bought...

also, certainly from that footage... it doesn't have quite the same unmistakeable 'gopro' look that it's always had before...

fricken incredible specs. Will have to order one, my hero2 has been one of the most useful and coolest things I've ever bought...

also, certainly from that footage... it doesn't have quite the same unmistakeable 'gopro' look that it's always had before...

Perhaps a stupid question, but how does the average videographer make use out of these if you don't really use it for any extreme sports?

As somebody said "wow - soon we will have higher quality blurry skateboard videos" :D

But yeah - looks pretty amazing. Black one looks to be set for £380.

Low light is where my Hero2 struggles a little at higher frame rates, especially when not set to wide, so the Hero3 looks like a great step forward and an upgrade to come for me (y)

Phil Young said:
Its great for weddings ;)

Staple it to the groom's head for that special unique shot of the first kiss... ;)

Uh, random cutaways and quick storytelling devices really, and time lapses are a big one - they're dead smooth from the gopro, in some ways better than using an slr for a timelapse- and for video, just having a camera that's tough, you can put anywhere and shoots brilliant quality has had so many uses. In vehicles, a crazy wide 'see everything' shot to cut to for event coverage once in a while (gives almost a 'blimp shot' feel...), on bikes/kayaks, the odd point of view thing, on remote controlled robots, in the bottom of a jug of beer being downed, anywhere where you're worried about your main camera getting absolutely drowned, climbing walls, zip wires and giant swings...

Also gives a helpful 'last ditch' backup extra angle for almost anything.

Lots of news videographers are using them as an 'always on' wide shot on the top of their real camera too just in case they ever need context or a wider shot, say for legal purposes.

Is the 4k mode usable at 12 fps or is it just there to grab the headlines?

I'm sure that there will be uses.... but no, I can't imagine it being used widely, no...

2.7k however? Hells yeah, either to crop in when/if needed, or to cut with the BMCC ;)

Last edited:
Whenever I try to think of something the 4k would be useful for, I always come back to the fact that it would be more than good enough to use 2.7k...

Really tempted to get myself one... A few of my kiteboarding friends use the Hero2, we love them!

I have 2 of them ... I use them mainly for snowboarding and wakeboarding... THEY ARE THE INVENTION OF THE CENTURY
:D

Specs look awesome for the Black Edition - trying to get one for the lab at work so we can use it as a cheap way of generating 2K and 4K content.

Specs look awesome for the Black Edition - trying to get one for the lab at work so we can use it as a cheap way of generating 2K and 4K content.

Really? 4k at 12fps? Why would anyone want that?

50 Hz was OK at SD (due to the reduced resolution of interlacing mainly).

It just about copes some of the time at HD - any movement of more than 3 pixels per frame and you lose the resolution and may as well have stayed SD.

4k at 12fps? The motion portrayal will be awful and the resolution will drop as soon as the camera moves.

Really? 4k at 12fps? Why would anyone want that?

Technology company, we're expecting PC's with 4k panels in the next year or so and need to show off the video decoding, etc. More interested in the 30fps 2.7k support though.

It's basically flimsy justification to get work to buy a GoPro and pay me to drive round with it in my car. ;)

I wonder what price they are Stateside?

The reason I ask is I was in Florida last year to see the last Shuttle launch and stayed overnight at Cocoa Beach.

I called into Ron Jon's Surf Shack and they had a large GoPro display.

I had looked at the HD Hero 2 Motorsport kit over here before I went and ISTR it was priced @ £249-299 depending upon where you went.

The same kit in Ron Jon's was $250 and as a Hilton resident I had a voucher for an additional 15% bringing the price down to $212 which from memory was @£125 or something so less than half price! :eek:

Even without the additional 15% discount it would have been the usual $ for £ syndrome.

But don't get me started on Rip-Off-Britain! :bang::bonk:

saw one offer in the US putting them at $360 inc shipping, so the equivalent of £225.

*******s....

Manufacturer's website says $399.99 so $360 sounds reasonable. Or £359.99.

I blame the government.

I've been told that the stabilization used in the Sony action cam knocks the go pro out of the ring..

I've been told that the stabilization used in the Sony action cam knocks the go pro out of the ring..

It works really well which is why it will be interesting on a side by side.

I've had my hands on one of the hero 3s now, neat stuff. Smaller form factor is cool, display is a bit easier to use, new lock on the casing is good but a bit fiddly and will be basically impossible to open with gloves on.

Wifi they've ballsed up, really frustrating trying to get it to work, and the iPad app is illogical and takes ages to start working, and there's a large (think - seconds) delay. STILL no live streaming to pc, even of the low res 'preview' stream (240 pix), let alone what we were initially promised with the wifi backpack, and indeed one of the reasons that I bought into gopro in the first place. Maybe I'm asking too much - I'm excited to see what the Sony offering can bring. If it can stream to a pc at even a reasonable res, I'll likely buy a couple for live production.

i bought a hero 3 last week.. had it for a day and sent it back.
i've replaced it with a nikon 1 instead.

go pro had already annoyed my by not asking for a VAT number or mentioning that its shipped from holland, so therefore costing me £50 more than it should.
the only instructions the go pro comes with is a piece of paper saying that you need to upgrade the firmware... really? on an item so new?
so i did. and it turns out that updating the firmware disables the iphone app (the reason i bought the gp in the first place).
so, if you want to use the iphone app (and therefore have a viewfinder, and remote control) you have to wait until the end of the month for another firmware update.
not only that, but the mac/pc software isnt ready for the 3 yet and only works with the 2.
i wasnt impressed with any of it particularly, so i sent it back for a refund.

also sent back the roll cage bracket which at £30 for a piece of plastic is a rip off.

Hero 3 is out mid November in the uk £359.99
There a few places taking pre order details

yep that the black I talking about
here is a post from another forum i posted on this is the company that said mid nov

MID NOVEMBER for black edition @ LINK gopro hero 3 black edition but most places will have them in the UK quite more expensive than the gopro 2 £359.99

A friend picked up a black edition today and I have reserved one for next week/delivery at a local camera shop. So they are now shipping ;)

£359 I believe, will double check tho as I'm yet to pay for mine.

Back