Got a new 30D (Was "Should I upgrade from 350D to 20D")

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
When I bought a 350D last year, I couldnt justify (nor afford) the price difference between the two (350 was my first SLR)...so the choice was made for me.

Ever since I picked the camera up, I thought "Yeah it's a bit small, but I can get along with it", and I have. I bought the battery grip too, which balanced it out perfectly.

But all the while I've been hankering for a 20D.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to say I've researched the ins and outs of each camera...I haven't. I know the simple differences, and there are a few things that are pulling me towards the 20D.
I'm ashamed to say they're not image critical things either... :eek: lol
For a start, the proper grip size is the biggie...I find that using my 350d, even with grip attached, in landscape mode, is quite fiddly. The actual grip is too small for my shovels. I can get along with it, but its not as comfy as it could be.
Plus it has a proper feel to it, not the plasticy feel of the 350D.
Same goes for the whole body. Made of manly stuff.
Secondly, the jog wheel and 8 way hat/button I would like.
Thirdly, the info screen on the top of the camera is something I'd prefer.
The 9 AF points
Faster AF
ISO3200

Yes, the answer is, I would prefer one...but...should I sell my 350D and go for it?

Cost is the only thing stopping me really.
If I had the money to throw away, I'd do it...but I don't :p

Anyway, the only viable solution I have, is to sell my 350D+Grip+2 Batteries+Remote, and buy the 20D equivalent.

Looking around second hand, I'm finding it hard to get a good judge of prices.
eBay vary wildly.

So, how much should I ask for :

350D, 11 months old, in great condition, 5300 actuations. All original box etc with Jessops receipt.
Plus BGE3 Grip, again in excellent condition.
2 batteries (1 canon, 1 OEM)
1 OEM Remote cable.

Also, how much should I be looking to pay for a similar 20D setup? Im thinking purely on the basis of cost, I'm going to have to forfeit a grip for now, and buy one without.

Thoughts?

First tme I saw a 350D was when I saw yours Bod, and I must admit I was surprised at the size of it. It definitely needs a battery grip, but the same is true of the 20D even though it is bigger.

I dunno what to tell you mate really. If you have that sort of itch you're going to scratch it sooner or later anyway. ;)

I think that's the problem. It's an itch that's getting louder and louder.

The only problem I have, is that I paid 610 for this 350D, and 95 for the grip, so that's £700 give or take....so I'm gonna be taking a good £250 hit on it, if I sell it for £450.

How comfortable is the 20D *without* grip? OK It'd be nice to have one, but cost is probably going to prevent it for a while. Now I used the 350 without grip for a few months, but I'd never do that again...way too small to be comfy.

I remember showing you the 350...(which was without grip at the time). And holding your 20D with grip...
When I picked mine up again, I nearly cried...lol

@ Venomator and Lumpster. Thanks for the replies and those links.
I suppose I could buy the 20D new, but if I was paying 740ish, I may aswell go for a 30D at only £100 more.

ive never had a grip, tbh ive never had one so i dont feel missing without it. i carried my camera in my hand for hours over the last few weeks (i dont wear a strap) and ive not had a problem, the sidegrip fits most hands as the dimensions of the camera are about right

i should have bought a battery grip in canada, it was only £100

Marcel said:
How comfortable is the 20D *without* grip? OK It'd be nice to have one, but cost is probably going to prevent it for a while. Now I used the 350 without grip for a few months, but I'd never do that again...way too small to be comfy.
Well I have hands like a girl and the only problem is there isn't much room between the grip and side of the lens mount so you tend to mark it with your fingernails - nothing permanent it just rubs off. The battery grip doesn't solve that problem. No biggy really and they've altered the 30D slightly to cure the problem.

You might find you get more if you split than selling as a bundle. The grips + batts normally hold their value well on ebay. Best advice is to make sure your auctions don't end during a footie match tho - you'll lose last min. bids :(

As a guide, i have just sold my D50, in mint condition in original box, with 2 lenses (inc filters), 2 batteries, tripod, macro lenses for £563.

I know the D50 and 350D are about the same in the DSLR range.

So you should get £500 - £550 for yours also.

And i just bought the 20D off here mint, for £645 with 2 batteries, lens, memory & bag.

Marcel said:
I suppose I could buy the 20D new, but if I was paying 740ish, I may aswell go for a 30D at only £100 more.

Looks like it'll now be the 30D then ... :LOL: (y) :LOL:

Might as well go for the D200 ... :D

:p

The 30D can be had for about £780 online (body only)...

You can have a feel of my one which hopfully will arrive tommorow when i get it :p

pxl8 said:
The 30D can be had for about £780 online (body only)...
£768.15 is the cheapest I've found it. Just hoping that the big blue guys will price match off their own website (www.cameras2u.com). They did with my brothers camera, so hopefully they will again.

That's a spiffing price Kate, Onestop are only £10 or so cheaper! I think cameras2u.com is one of the two Jessops in disguise sites that Jessops (see you are allowed to say it here ;) ) will price match.

Steep said:
That's a spiffing price Kate, Onestop are only £10 or so cheaper! I think cameras2u.com is one of the two Jessops in disguise sites that Jessops (see you are allowed to say it here ;) ) will price match.
Price match - 10% of the difference + 12 months interest free credit. Ummmm... bought mine today :eek:

I fully expect prices to drop as steeply as they did the second I bought my 300D, but I'm dead pleased with it :D Just a bit miffed about RawShooter Essentials 2006 not supporting it. Need to find something else now :(

Kate said:
Just a bit miffed about RawShooter Essentials 2006 not supporting it. Need to find something else now :(

You may be interested in Light Crafts Lightzone, Kate.
There's some info in the link below, and it supports the Eos 30D.

Light Crafts Lightzone

Excellent. So what was the final price Kate?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 30 instead...Half-future-proof myself so to speak.

Marcel said:
Excellent. So what was the final price Kate?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 30 instead...Half-future-proof myself so to speak.
£759.97. Nearly the same as my 300D when I bought it. Breaks your heart!

It's lovely :D

Thanks for the link Matt :)

Now I'm definately interested in the 30. (y)

Marcel said:
Now I'm definately interested in the 30. (y)
I tried out someone's 20D at a meet yesterday and fell in love. I was pretty much decided on getting a 30D anyway. Went in to Jessops today armed with my lenses and had a good play. It's a gorgeous camera. Love it!

And I can now view my RAW pics too :D All is good.

/me hugs 30D

So how did you find the 20 compared to the 30? Much difference? (Besides the much bigger screen of course :p)

Congrats on the new cam Kate

I've been toying with the idea of changing my 20d to the 30d

I went to Waddington yesterday with a chap who had a new 30D and I handled it.

It is a very nice piece of kit Bod. Hope you get sorted and raise the capital for the 30D instead of the 20D. It makes sense to buy the newer version if you are upgrading.:)

So how much is the grip for the 350D..:nuts:

Well if I get the 30 I may as well do it on the drip ;)

Marcel said:
So how did you find the 20 compared to the 30? Much difference? (Besides the much bigger screen of course :p)
Not a lot in it to be honest. The screen makes such a difference though. Don't think I'd bother swapping if I already had a 20D.

Kate said:
£759.97. Nearly the same as my 300D when I bought it. Breaks your heart!

It's lovely :D

Thanks for the link Matt :)

So how easy was it to get them to price match? They don't price match internet sites anymore do they? Or did you flutter your eyelashes and manage to sweet talk them into it?

Did you mention the 12 months before or after getting them to agree a price?

I think I may just plump for the 30D. It takes the sting out of having to sell the 350 to buy a 20 outright for a start.

Arrrgh I hate decisions..lol

Get the 30D Bod. It's worth it for the spot metering alone. ;)

Had a feeling you'd say that :p

If I can get Jessops down to the cameras2u price, then I'll sign up for one.

Well I have an issue of PP here (July), with a Jessops advert in it, and in big letters it says :

Internet beating prices on Digital DLRs Guaranteed
We aim to be unbeatable, but if you see any digital SLR cheaper at an online or High Street competitor, we will give you 110% of the difference if you buy it from us.
Availaible...blah blah like for like....Official UK import...currently in stock...Online price comparisons will be made including P&P costs. blah blah, only available instore or mail order..etc.

So, with cameras2u offering free next day delivery, its looking good.

Technically the more the Jessops store is selling it, the cheaper I'll get it.
The website says it's 849.87, and cameras2u @ 768.15, so with 110% of the difference knocked off, I make it £759.97.

so I'm upgrading for roughly 300 quid (providing I get 450 for my 350D)
I have some other stuff here that I need to sell anyway, which would have funded an upgrade, so.....

Price matching was easy peasy. They had a big notice on the dSLR cabinets saying they will price match any dSLR to the internet (UK mainland based sites only) and give you 10% the difference. I mentioned the 12 months straight after and it wasn't a problem. As someone has already said, cameras2u.com is owned by Jessops anyway, and I knew this when I went in there.

And yes, it was the 30D without the kit lens that I bought. I already have a lens superior to that so didn't bother with it :)

If I was you, I'd go for the 30D. The 20D is virtually the same price and they're getting very hard to come by unless you buy 2nd hand. To be honest, I'd much rather have the warrenty of a new camera than get one 2nd hand.

Well I *was* planning on buying the 20d second hand. Probably for around 530ish on ebay from the Canon outlet thingy.

BUT.

I got me a 30D today instead :D

Went into my local Jessops armed with an Issue of PP, stating the Internet beating price match on SLRs.
I also went armed with a printout of cameras2u price of 768.15.

They also had an A-Board outside with the "Internet beating offer" on (SLRs).

I told the assistant I was interested in a 30D, on two provisos..1 : A price match from an internet site in line with their advertised offer, and 2 : 12 months interest free.

He called the manager over to check and she had to go away and phone to check the price match :rolleyes: Because apparently theyd had some internal memo recently and had recently refused a price match.
While the manager was away checking I was chatting to the guy and he was like "Sorry about this but we just have to check", and I took him to his billboard outside and pointed out the internet sites bit and he said "oh yeah, so it is".

Anyway, had a play with it with my sigma 70-300 on, felt very comfortable, even without grip. The screen is HUGE, as is the viewfinder and the text on it :D

Stuck a memory card in, and lens cap on, did an 8 second exposure to check for hot pixels on the TFT screen. Couldnt see any.
Had a play, signed the papers (well my wife did), and we came home.
Battery is now charged, teh 350 is back in its box ready to be advertised to be sold, and I'm just about to put my optech strap on the new 30d and go for a play tonight :D

ONe happy bunny <----

You have made a great decision Bod and I am over the moon for you..

Excellent stuff mate..(y)

Marcel said:
Well I *was* planning on buying the 20d second hand. Probably for around 530ish on ebay from the Canon outlet thingy.

BUT.

I got me a 30D today instead :D

Went into my local Jessops armed with an Issue of PP, stating the Internet beating price match on SLRs.
I also went armed with a printout of cameras2u price of 768.15.

They also had an A-Board outside with the "Internet beating offer" on (SLRs).

I told the assistant I was interested in a 30D, on two provisos..1 : A price match from an internet site in line with their advertised offer, and 2 : 12 months interest free.

He called the manager over to check and she had to go away and phone to check the price match :rolleyes: Because apparently theyd had some internal memo recently and had recently refused a price match.
While the manager was away checking I was chatting to the guy and he was like "Sorry about this but we just have to check", and I took him to his billboard outside and pointed out the internet sites bit and he said "oh yeah, so it is".

Anyway, had a play with it with my sigma 70-300 on, felt very comfortable, even without grip. The screen is HUGE, as is the viewfinder and the text on it :D

Stuck a memory card in, and lens cap on, did an 8 second exposure to check for hot pixels on the TFT screen. Couldnt see any.
Had a play, signed the papers (well my wife did), and we came home.
Battery is now charged, teh 350 is back in its box ready to be advertised to be sold, and I'm just about to put my optech strap on the new 30d and go for a play tonight :D

ONe happy bunny <----
Nice one :D

Now where the buggery are you, you best not have gone out for a play :bang:

Nice one Bod :D See, Jessops do have their uses.... sometimes!!

The screen is fabulous isn't it! I love the wheel too, especially in that funny mode where you can move both the top wheel and the back wheel. It's so QUICK too! Hold down the shutter and turn it on to see how fast it starts up. Amazing :D

Just been taking pics of my old kit to sell. God I love this camera!

Kate said:
Nice one Bod :D See, Jessops do have their uses.... sometimes!!

The screen is fabulous isn't it! I love the wheel too, especially in that funny mode where you can move both the top wheel and the back wheel. It's so QUICK too! Hold down the shutter and turn it on to see how fast it starts up. Amazing :D

Just been taking pics of my old kit to sell. God I love this camera!
It's only just clicked with me who you are Kate :p

Just thought i'd say hi :D

Back