Got loads of time? Why not develop your film in the freezer!

Looks to be an unreliable process but nun the less a different approach.

The Attic Darkroom channel has lots of interesting, if slightly crazy, film developing videos. This latest one was quite interesting. I don’t think I’ll try it though.…

View: https://youtu.be/0DLj-cURiZ0?si=F8vZOZjadzqQDRzh

I think freezinng has to be bad or pointless if as he said most of the development is while thawing in the fridge.

If he wanted to extend development time further at lower temp it would be better to do it in a solution with a lower frezing point (strong salt solution or maybe in an organic solvent (ethanol, glycerol etc) but I’ve no idea if such is feasible — my bet is that it would be but Sod’s Law predicts that it would turn out to be quicker than aqueous once you found one :LOL:

Interesting!

I would be too impatient though, I can cope with 90mins stand development plus fixing + wash time but a day or longer, no!

As for freezing, I wonder how much that slows down the diffusion of the chemicals, as he suggests, most of the development may happen as it thaws or freezes.

It's not one of his most practical videos, but it does have a useful lesson in that you can reallllly abuse the developing process and as long as you put the developer in before the fixer, you'll probably get something...

It's not one of his most practical videos, but it does have a useful lesson in that you can reallllly abuse the developing process and as long as you put the developer in before the fixer, you'll probably get something...
Haven't watched the video, but good to see you back on here (at least for a moment or two), Rob!

Haven't watched the video, but good to see you back on here (at least for a moment or two), Rob!
I'm still around Chris, haven't been shooting much so haven't been posting so much, but I still check in.

Back