Gritty 52 Challenge For 2020.

Clever idea Heather. I wouldn't worry too much,
sometimes we just have to play the hand we are dealt (y)

Cheers Cobra, I have sat on this for a couple of days as didn’t want to post something I wasn’t happy with but in the end I just had to submit it. I am going to revisit this and get it right.

It`s a good enough image for the theme Heather, like Cobra says sometimes we have just play the hand or a PABD.

Cheers Dave70D, I’m a bit of a perfectionist so kicking myself. I will revisit this photo when my god daughters are down.

It's an image you visualised and executed - sometimes everything works, and sometimes it doesn't. This works for me - hits the brief and definitely pleasurable!

Cheers Shugpug, I knew what I wanted, I thought I knew how to get it but then had to rush it... annoyed I forgot my filters. Bah Humbug put it down to a lesson learnt. Now to pick myself up and wait for tomorrow’s challenge and plan on revisiting the image I had in my head.

Really like the concept of your image and can see the effect you are trying to achieve. You aren’t happy with it bit you know what you want to change and improve and thats half the battle. YouTube is it a great place to pick up tips on photoshop/lightroom. I assume here as well [emoji16]

Not sure about the white vignetting, but the rest of it is great. A really good concept.

Thanks Nostromo, I wanted to capture an aged image and the vignetting was to add the the atmosphere of going back in time to a happy pleasurable place. I promise not to use it in my next photo. ;-)

I really like the idea and the base image but as you say the processing has gone a bit haywire. If you are using Lr and Ps (as you say in your first post) then there shouldn't be an issue going back to a different stage in your edit or the original image - is there something in your workflow we could help with?

Thank you for your kind comments, I have never used Lr or Ps and have been muddling through,watching videos trying to work out how to do things. I heavily cropped this image and in the top right hand corner there was a metal support which I wanted to get rid off and whilst trying to work out if I clone it out or heal the area I lost the effect of the crossbar and then had to crop the picture further. This was the original image..Adjustments.JPG any help or pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sky, the subject is big enough in the frame to hold your attention.
Okay, so there may be a bit of a halo around the tree, but given the style of processing you've chosen, I don't think there's anything to call out on that.
Haters gonna hate the white vignette, but hell, I'm sure we've all used it on occasions to rescue something (I know I have ;) )
What were you using for the effects? I know I tend to use an old copy of the Nik Collection.

Thanks LC2, just annoyed with myself... we had visited the park several times and everytime it was full of little people playing happily on the swings.
The vignetting was part of the effect I was looking for as I wanted to create a vintage picture type effect, but as I am still finding my way round editing the photos to create the effect I want, I know I am bound to make mistakes. I thank you all for your honest critiques and I will take it on board your comments and I hope by the end of this year I have put into practice what I have learnt from you all.
I appreciate some of the effects we use, the photos we take are not to everyone’s taste, but I hope some of my photos can bring a smile to someone’s face.
Once again thank you

Really like the concept of your image and can see the effect you are trying to achieve. You aren’t happy with it bit you know what you want to change and improve and thats half the battle. YouTube is it a great place to pick up tips on photoshop/lightroom. I assume here as well [emoji16]

daveferguson, thank you for your kind comments, absolutely I will be revisiting this when my god daughters are down so watch this space for Version 2 :). I am happily absorbing help and advice from anyone, all help and advice gratefully accepted.

Hope you don`t mind Heather, as you allow folk to edit here is a quick go in Affinity Photo and finished in Luminar 4.

View attachment 265912

Wow, look at the way those clouds have punched out. They make it look like the storm was brewing.
Thank you Dave70D, I really like that. Would you rate that editing package over Lr & Ps?

Wow, look at the way those clouds have punched out. They make it look like the storm was brewing.
Thank you Dave70D, I really like that. Would you rate that editing package over Lr & Ps?

Hi Heather, I use to have the Adobe CC deal and really did like it but when I came from Canon to Fuji I totally changed all my software. So I got C1 Pro20 Affinity Photo so my Topaz plugins can work in, and I just treated my self to Luminar 4 really for the sky replacement tool. If I was starting again then I`d get what I have now, as for me and me only imo I think C1 and Affinity do give Adobe a run for their money.

Adjustmentsnew.jpg

Here's a go trying to follow your idea of creating a more vintage look - using Nik collection Color Efex Pro (vintage effect) and a tweak of highlight reduction and lightening the shadows (in Photoshop). There are lots of editing programmes out there including Affinity and Luminar which has a nifty way of swopping a sky using another image (demonstrated by Dave 70D ;))

Great shot Heather, takes me back...back when my back could take it that is!!
I like the central composition, and the processing is interesting.
It's a great fit for the theme, and it's creative - I like it!(y)
Isn't it annoying when kids hog all the swings!:LOL:

So Week 3 - Tool

So for this weeks challenge I headed into the garage :snaphappy:

Tool.jpg

Remember your linky (y)
Tools is a nice shot as contrast and exposure look fine, just wondering if you could of taken it looking long ways too plus you did good on the high lights.

Hi Dave70D, I tried putting in the linky but it didn’t work for me, do I do it after I have added it to the no comments page as that is when a thread number comes up? I had the instructions beside me as I did it but I must have done something wrong. [emoji53]

Remember your linky (y)
Tools is a nice shot as contrast and exposure look fine, just wondering if you could of taken it looking long ways too plus you did good on the high lights.

Dave70D, Many thanks for your “Feedback” [emoji23] I took several photos from different angles but was struggling due to the light coming in through my workshop window even at different times of the day.

Hi Dave70D, I tried putting in the linky but it didn’t work for me, do I do it after I have added it to the no comments page as that is when a thread number comes up? I had the instructions beside me as I did it but I must have done something wrong. [emoji53]

What you do is put your image in your thread, then click on the number 57 but right click and copy link address... Then go to the main thread write linky then click on the chain link to the left of the smilie face and paste that`s how I do it.

What you do is put your image in your thread, then click on the number 57 but right click and copy link address... Then go to the main thread write linky then click on the chain link to the left of the smilie face and paste that`s how I do it.

Thanks Dave70D, will try again next week.... hopefully by week 52 I will be getting it right [emoji848]

Great image.

I like the tool shot, nicely exposed and composed too :)

Spot on exposure on a tricky subject. I wish my sockets were quite that well organised... I might think about cropping out the empty bottom right corner, but not sure what that would do to the rest of the image (if you kept the aspect ratio)?

Hi Heather

Nice collection of old sockets you have there. which look like they have seen better days, if its rust I can see just coming through the chrome. Diagonals work very well.

Pete

Hi Heather your tool photo is nicely composed, I like the diagonal lines and the highlights on each socket.

Cheers CliveH, really appreciate your feedback :)

Super image Heather, great diagonals!
The b&w treatment works well and I do so love the reflections...nice!
Well done!(y)

Thanks GarethB, I was trying so hard to get some really good reflections whilst struggling with the light coming through my workshop window.

Spot on exposure on a tricky subject. I wish my sockets were quite that well organised... I might think about cropping out the empty bottom right corner, but not sure what that would do to the rest of the image (if you kept the aspect ratio)?

Cheers Shugpug, I was going to tidy up my toolbox but then I realised that a lot of dust had fallen on the sockets and my test shot showed the dust up perfectly so the toolbox stayed untidy. As for the empty corner I was left with little choice as the light was coming through my workshop window and affecting the reflections.

Hi Heather

Nice collection of old sockets you have there. which look like they have seen better days, if its rust I can see just coming through the chrome. Diagonals work very well.

Pete

Thankyou for your feedback seaodyssey, some of what you can see is dust and yes there is a little bit of rust too I have had these sockets for many years.

Good use of Diagonals to add interest to the shot. Wel controlled highlights too.
They look as battered as some of mine.

Thanks LC2, I really appreciate your feedback. When I composed my image I tried it from many angles and I just loved the diagonals, especially when a toolbox is so organised into military rows. I concentrated on my highlights following last weeks lighting issues... ;)

will try again next week....
No need to wait until next week, Heather, you can edit your own thread.

But for this week your friendly neighborhood snake has done it for you (y)

Looking good, the composition works well, the highlights are well handled and the black & white conversion has a good range of tones.

Back