Gritty 52 Challenge For 2020.

Week 28

Secure

I was struggling to find something for this without photographing the obvious like a door and suddenly this folks walked past me with all their gear stored securely in their bags or his scope lodged securely on his shoulder..

Secure-2.jpg

Last edited:
Week 29
Personal
Still In Lightroom..

Week 30

Graceful

I love watching these guys running across the water to take off and land. I find them graceful but others may disagree.

Graceful.jpg

Week 31

Static

I was on another boat for this one and as we were avoiding kayakers I didn't quite get the angle I wanted, but at least one of us was static...

Static.jpg

Week 32

Patterns

I was wondering across this bridge and something drew my attention to all the patterns on the floor.

Patterns.jpg

Week 33

Camouflaged

I really need to stop going to my local RSPB nature reserve, I was looking out into the reserve and saw this "Turnstone" camouflaged :)

Camouflaged.jpg

Week 34

Tiny

I was out on a walk and saw these caterpillar nests in the gorse and brambles.

Tiny.jpg

Week 35

Snappers Choice and Juxtaposition

I could not decide which of these I preferred ..

Juxtaposition, 2 Minds-2.jpg

Juxtaposition, 2 Minds.jpg

Week 36

Texture(s)

Texture.jpg

Week 37

Activity (Still in Lightroom)

Week 28

Artificial
So today I headed in search of Artificial... I took 2 photo's, 1 was of a bunch of artificial roses in the graveyard and the other was of an artificial pond in the discovery area of the nature reserve. The pond was not as inspiring as much as I was hoping.

Artificial.jpg

Artificial 2.jpg

Hi Heather

Secure - Well Spotted, a completely different take on that theme.
Graceful - Nice picture of a cormorant?, they are very graceful under water too.
Static - Nice take on the theme, Blast those kayakers being in the way.
Patterns - Well spotted, works well in B&W
Camouflaged - That was a good spot, it is very hard to see. Nice OOF background.
Tiny - Well spotted, it must have been difficult to get in close to get past those oof leaves.
Snappers Choice and Juxtaposition - I prefer the B&W one, the green is a bit glaring, nice technique.
Texture - Very nice detail in what ever they are. Putting a piece of paper against the monitor I think you could just about crop out the far left one.
Artificial - Give it time the pond will look very un artificial, is it cropped too tight?

Pete

Its good to see you back posting Heather !
What a brilliant catch up (y)

Hi Heather

Secure - Well Spotted, a completely different take on that theme.
Graceful - Nice picture of a cormorant?, they are very graceful under water too.
Static - Nice take on the theme, Blast those kayakers being in the way.
Patterns - Well spotted, works well in B&W
Camouflaged - That was a good spot, it is very hard to see. Nice OOF background.
Tiny - Well spotted, it must have been difficult to get in close to get past those oof leaves.
Snappers Choice and Juxtaposition - I prefer the B&W one, the green is a bit glaring, nice technique.
Texture - Very nice detail in what ever they are. Putting a piece of paper against the monitor I think you could just about crop out the far left one.
Artificial - Give it time the pond will look very un artificial, is it cropped too tight?

Pete

Thanks for all your feedback Pete, I was in 2 minds with the juxtaposition.. hence why I put both up.
I will take a look at my texture one again and the crop idea.

The camouflaged one could well have been the hidden one too.

The artificial one was not cropped at all. I used my Sigma 10-20 but was restricted as I could not move any further back due to shrubbery and there was a tall bench seat in prime position just in front of the shrubs which I could stand on to elevate myself.

Its good to see you back posting Heather !
What a brilliant catch up (y)

Cheers Cobra, hope your keeping well.
I am back in the driving seat and raring to go again... roll on Thursday. [emoji846]

Great catchup with some interesting shots, you are on target for a full year now. (y)

Cheers Clive, maybe next year I will make it my resolution to try to do them weekly rather than in batches .... some weeks I manage to get a few hours to myself but the photos don’t either make it off the camera or sit in lightroom.

Nicely caught up. Some lovely shots in there - especially love the little hidden Turnstone.

Nicely caught up. Some lovely shots in there - especially love the little hidden Turnstone.

Thanks Helen, I am already looking forward to finishing nights and going in search of suitable subjects for this weeks theme.

Hey Heather, that's quite a catch up !!!

Secure - Bit of a shoe-horn maybe? But it works for the theme. Walking away shots are hard to make interesting though, aren't they, as you don't get their faces.
Graceful - Could possibly do with lightening a little?
Static - Similar to Graceful, imo (feel free to disagree) it could do with the white point being set. It feels like it's suffering from the camera's tendency to 18% grey.
Patterns - Hmm and maybe this one too? The shadows indicate a bright sun, yet the light itself doesn't.
Camouflaged - This one feels much better to me. There is bright white and some properly dark darks. It gives it contrast.
Tiny - Hmm bugs. ;)
Snappers Choice - Liking this. Simple but effective. The Green & Black for me (but hell, I even set my termianl to those colours when I'm working at the CLI.
Texture - Plenty of it and again, this has plenty of contrast with good white & black points, so it pops :)
Artificial - I think I actually prefer the pond. It's more of a 'thing'. The woodwork looks like the kind of thing you find in historic castles these days.

Week 37
Activity

I havn't been happy with the photo I had sat in lightroom for this subject and then I found myself at Goodwood ... I couldn't decide which one to publish so have popped them both below, I have never captured motorsport so am pleased with my first try. Please feel free to offer advice and constructive critisism.

Activity.jpg

Activity-2.jpg

Week 39
Autumn

So today took a walk in search of stunning Autumnal colours but struggled to find what I had in my head. I have attached the ones that stood out most to me and an artistic impression when I got carried away in Lightroom.

Autumn.jpg

Autumn-2.jpg

Autumn-3.jpg

Autumn-4.jpg

Hey Heather, that's quite a catch up !!!

Secure - Bit of a shoe-horn maybe? But it works for the theme. Walking away shots are hard to make interesting though, aren't they, as you don't get their faces.
Graceful - Could possibly do with lightening a little?
Static - Similar to Graceful, imo (feel free to disagree) it could do with the white point being set. It feels like it's suffering from the camera's tendency to 18% grey.
Patterns - Hmm and maybe this one too? The shadows indicate a bright sun, yet the light itself doesn't.
Camouflaged - This one feels much better to me. There is bright white and some properly dark darks. It gives it contrast.
Tiny - Hmm bugs. ;)
Snappers Choice - Liking this. Simple but effective. The Green & Black for me (but hell, I even set my termianl to those colours when I'm working at the CLI.
Texture - Plenty of it and again, this has plenty of contrast with good white & black points, so it pops :)
Artificial - I think I actually prefer the pond. It's more of a 'thing'. The woodwork looks like the kind of thing you find in historic castles these days.

Thanks for your feedback LC2, my secure shot was a quick decision as they walked past me. I didn’t realise how bad the colour was on my laptop until a friend popped over last week to partake in the virtual photography show and my screen was so dull in comparison. I have been given a old LaCie photon19 vision monitor and plugged it into my laptop again the 2 screens show a totally different colour image. Needless to say I am now saving to upgrade and take no notice of my windows laptop. I’m guessing that’s why my editing has been wrong.

Adjustments.JPG

Attachments

• Adjustments.JPG
    Adjustments.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 3
Who doesn't love a Cobra eh?
:D
The second one is the better one IMO. As you managed motion blur on the back ground.
The first just looks static.
Also I brightened it up a bit.
If you don't like it, I'll nuke it (y)
The focus is better on the 1st though (once sharpened up a bit)

Activity-2---Gritty.jpg

Artificial
I think the pond works rather well. With all that decking and path's, it's quite architectural.

Autumn
It's the third image for me, the light coming through the trees, is indicative of autumn sunlight.

Who doesn't love a Cobra eh?
:D
The second one is the better one IMO. As you managed motion blur on the back ground.
The first just looks static.
Also I brightened it up a bit.
If you don't like it, I'll nuke it (y)
The focus is better on the 1st though (once sharpened up a bit)

View attachment 294065

Cheers Cobra, it’s a technique I have never tried before so welcome your feedback and also your editing. It does look a lot better, I pass Goodwood everyday on route to work so this this may be a regular haunt for me until I get the technique right in my head and on screen.

Just catching up on giving feedback!!

Secure
Exactly the right number of people!

Did they continue straight ahead or follow the path to the left? Maybe taken a second later to have them all in the open?

Graceful
It certainly looks like a graceful manoeuvre, might benefit being cropped from the left as there's a lot of empty water

Static
I would be worried if the lighthouse was moving. It appears small height wise, is this the full size?

Patterns
That's the thing with photography, others would just walk over the bridge without seeing the pattern and it's uniformity.

Camouflage
I had to search to find the bird, it's certainly well hidden. The shallow DOF works well

Tiny
You have a good eye for catching small objects, I would probably have missed them. Did you try other angles that would remove the greenery at the right?

Snappers Choice
Prefer the black and white double. Did you covert to a full silhouette in post processing or is there an element of it in the unedited image?

Textures
Nice definition, you would definitely feel the shape from touch which is shown in the image

Artificial
Might have preferred a more top down composition on the flowers, although not really the place to be standing checking angles

Activity
The first image appears more static with the second one giving more impression of speed

Autumn
I also found it hard to find autumn, you do have the fallen leaves, possibly adjusting the contrast to make them more noticeable. I like the artistic version too

Artificial
I think the pond works rather well. With all that decking and path's, it's quite architectural.

Autumn
It's the third image for me, the light coming through the trees, is indicative of autumn sunlight.

Thank you for commenting Nostromo, typically the 3rd image for Autumn was a quick turn round as you pass through a stile picture. It was hand held and without filters, the 1st took me ages to capture.

Great catch up Heather the two outstanding ones for me are Pattern and Camouflage both great spots.

Some lovely shots in there.
Autumn.. I love #2 - it has a lovely impressionistic feel about it.

Great catch up Heather the two outstanding ones for me are Pattern and Camouflage both great spots.

Cheers Roger, its amazing when we just wonder with a subject in our head but no particular composition a subject is surprisingly stumbled upon. That is exactly what happened for both these shots.

Some lovely shots in there.
Autumn.. I love #2 - it has a lovely impressionistic feel about it.
Thanks Helen, I have been exploring my options in Lightroom and Photoshop and was happy with the composition so decided to "play" with it and see how creative I could get in post processing.

Week 40
Wet
On this particular shift it was WET feet for me, why oh why do you find a hole in your boot when someone has broken their leg in the middle of a soggy football pitch in heavy rain. Please don't be concerned I re-inacted this in my own garden on my day off and didn't whip my camera out on said football pitch whilst the patient supped on Entonox.... has anyone else noticed that since Cobra chose the WET subject it has rained everyday.... Luckily now proudly sporting a brand new pair of Magnums I have warm dry feet.

Wet 2.jpg

Just catching up on giving feedback!!

Secure
Exactly the right number of people!

Did they continue straight ahead or follow the path to the left? Maybe taken a second later to have them all in the open?

Graceful
It certainly looks like a graceful manoeuvre, might benefit being cropped from the left as there's a lot of empty water

Static
I would be worried if the lighthouse was moving. It appears small height wise, is this the full size?

Patterns
That's the thing with photography, others would just walk over the bridge without seeing the pattern and it's uniformity.

Camouflage
I had to search to find the bird, it's certainly well hidden. The shallow DOF works well

Tiny
You have a good eye for catching small objects, I would probably have missed them. Did you try other angles that would remove the greenery at the right?

Snappers Choice
Prefer the black and white double. Did you covert to a full silhouette in post processing or is there an element of it in the unedited image?

Textures
Nice definition, you would definitely feel the shape from touch which is shown in the image

Artificial
Might have preferred a more top down composition on the flowers, although not really the place to be standing checking angles

Activity
The first image appears more static with the second one giving more impression of speed

Autumn
I also found it hard to find autumn, you do have the fallen leaves, possibly adjusting the contrast to make them more noticeable. I like the artistic version too

WOW Stuart, thank you for taking the time to add such comprehensive feedback.
Secure- the path led them to the left, I literally had seconds to capture the photo as I had moments before had my head in a bush with my macro head on . I heard someone behind me and had to quickly alter my settings accordingly.
Tiny - I noticed the tufts of white candy floss in the bushes and had to investigate but they were in really spiky bushes probably to stop predators and me with my macro lens so different angles were difficult.
Snappers Choice - I cut 2 identical heads, 1 in white paper the other in black paper and reversed their backgrounds so laid the white on black and vice versa and then laid them on a table and shot from above with lightboxes and lighting to help me eradicate the silhouette. The black and white image is as shot the green and black was stumbled upon in post processing and I liked it so decided to add both.
Activity - was my first attempt at this style of photography... @Cobra redited it and made it a far better image, thank you again Cobra.
Autumn - there was not enough fallen leaves for my liking.. another couple of weeks and we will see far more reds and autumnal colours evident. The artistic version was just me playing in Lightroom but I liked it.

Nice catchup Heather. My favourite is Patterns. You certainly deserve a new pair of boots!

Nice catchup Heather. My favourite is Patterns. You certainly deserve a new pair of boots!

Thanks Phil, I stumbled upon Patterns... and was very pleased how it came out.

Camouflage and Patterns are both good shots,
wets a nice idea with the back story, maybe a bit more space around the top of the boot

Excellent idea for wet Heather, really like the composition so it looks like the boot is just about to come down.

Nice wet shot Heather, especially the back story. Nothing worse than having to spend time with soggy feet!

Back