Gritty 52 Challenge For 2020.

Activity - was my first attempt at this style of photography... @Cobra redited it and made it a far better image, thank you again Cobra.
No problem Heather glad to have helped in some small way (y)

Good pic for wet. Wt feet for sure - and a good pic to boot :D

Activity, nice car shots
Autumn I like the country path shots
Wet, very good reenactment. Clever idea. That moment when you feel the first cold water seeping into your sock is horrible

Hi Heather,

Activity - It would be nice to see the exif for these shots. With #a personally I would crop in and up from the bottom left a bit, to push the car towards teh back of the shot a bit.
#2 I can see you're working on your panning. I takes time to perfect. You want to have the camera on a reasonably fast burst (in my experience), but the real trick is to force yourself to keep panning and shooting past where you think you want the photo. You will probably throw the shots away, but it keeps you panning smoothly and helps a lot.
Autumn - Cobra pulled the theme just a little to early ;) I've left my shot until this week, to get some reds into them. I think I prefer #3, but waiting a couple of weeks for more colour would probably help it. Reshoot?
Wet - Sods law on the boot front eh? Still, it gave you a fun shot to re-take :)

Screens - Blimey, there is a real difference in those two. No wonder we were wondering about the exposure !
Do you really need to upgrade? Just use the better screen :) - You might even find you can adjust the laptop screen in software.

Week 41
Topical (Subject) With Artificial Light Technique (Highlighting Him & His Comment)

Topical & Arificial Light.jpg

Camouflage and Patterns are both good shots,
wets a nice idea with the back story, maybe a bit more space around the top of the boot

Hi Allan,
Thank you for your comment, re more space around the top of the boot I was using a clamp to keep the boot folded (composite toe caps don't make that easy) and the clamp was showing where it was sunk in the ground... I'm sorry to say I didn't have time to remove it in post.

Excellent idea for wet Heather, really like the composition so it looks like the boot is just about to come down.

Thanks Baloo, you wern't far wrong there it did keep falling down ;):):)

Activity, nice car shots
Autumn I like the country path shots
Wet, very good reenactment. Clever idea. That moment when you feel the first cold water seeping into your sock is horrible

Cheers Clive, the paths up to Halnaker Mill are stunning during the different seasons. Tell me about it I was on that football pitch thinking my foot doesn't feel so warm... once patient was safe in A&E I whipped my boot off to find a very wet sock but didn't get the opportunity to return back to base to change into dry socks or boots... :(

Hi Heather,

Activity - It would be nice to see the exif for these shots. With #a personally I would crop in and up from the bottom left a bit, to push the car towards teh back of the shot a bit.
#2 I can see you're working on your panning. I takes time to perfect. You want to have the camera on a reasonably fast burst (in my experience), but the real trick is to force yourself to keep panning and shooting past where you think you want the photo. You will probably throw the shots away, but it keeps you panning smoothly and helps a lot.
Autumn - Cobra pulled the theme just a little to early ;) I've left my shot until this week, to get some reds into them. I think I prefer #3, but waiting a couple of weeks for more colour would probably help it. Reshoot?
Wet - Sods law on the boot front eh? Still, it gave you a fun shot to re-take :)

Screens - Blimey, there is a real difference in those two. No wonder we were wondering about the exposure !
Do you really need to upgrade? Just use the better screen :) - You might even find you can adjust the laptop screen in software.

Hi LC2, thank you for your advice on panning.. I will pop this into practice.
Santa Claus came early for me, apparently my moaning could be heard at the North Pole) I now have a shiny new desktop complete with specific 4K photography screen built specifically for me and my photography needs. [emoji846][emoji854][emoji846]
A professional portrait photographer friend of mine had calibrated my laptop.. that was the best she could get it.

I am off to the Lake District for a week so hope to shoot more autumnal photos with the stunning colours.

Works for the theme for me. Looks like a deliberate crop into a larger image, so shows thought put into it :)

Cheers LC2 yes it was deliberate framing of a full page advertisment in the paper, 50mm lens and camera on a tripod with a torch used for the artificial light. Wanted the powerful comment in the forefront.

Topical
I quite like that, the light coming from the top right really highlights the message.

That's a catch up and a half! Frustratingly, I started commenting, then had an "issue" and lost it all [emoji3525]

Your red lit washer/dryer is great! The red and abstract go together very nicely. I just confess that I thought it was a colander when I first saw it...

At the risk of being controversial, your hidden Turnstone could double for Topical (burying head in the sand... See @Allan.H's photo for context!) The colours and timing in your photo a great - and it's certainly living up to its name!

I find that your small pollinator is a little lost in the very colourful flower. Colours and composition are spot on, but I think the subject is a little bit lost.

The colours and textures of your seals for Snapper's Choice are really good. It's a hugely evocative photo - I can imagine the smell. Really nice.

And I agree on the compression for your cormorant/shag picture. They're a little lost against the background.

I'm envious of your proximity to the reserve - I like your sign very much. Lovely colours in the blurry background.

Good thinking with secure - works for me!

And I fully agree with your graceful seabird. I was down at the Colorado River for the last couple of days, which has similar (but smaller) cormorants which I love watching. This is a lovely image, showing the bird off from a good angle.

The B&W works nicely for your static lighthouse. I'm guessing you wanted to be more square on to the text? I think that would look slightly wrong to me (too much to landward!) so the angle you have with the text _just_ visual works well for me. The mono conversion works really well here, as well as in your patterned shadows.

Your second Turnstone is indeed very well camouflaged. Lovely background on this one as well.

Tiny is indeed tiny! But the OOF leaf and branch "bugs" me a little... Sorry!

Textures fits with the theme of my comments so far - lovely colours and background, and I can imagine the feel of the plants under my fingers, so works for the subject as well!

I rather like your artificial pond - the danger sign and wooden walkways around it are a pleasing contrast.

I love the second shot of your panning activity. It is absolutely superb! I'd love to get something this sharp (in the right places!)

Sounds like you had "fun" with your wet boots... Not the best time to be distracted by wet feet I imagine!!

And your artificially lit topical shot is very effective. A sad reflection of the times, but nicely taken.

Week 42
Food

Food.jpg

Week 43
Sharp
I spent a day experimenting with this subject and then it took me ages to get them edited...
Sharp-5.jpgSharp.jpg

Week 44
Digital Age - LINKY

Digital Age.jpg

Last edited:
Week 45
Snappers Choice & Soft Focus Technique

Snappers Choice_Soft Focus.jpg

Week 46
Narrow
Everyone loves a sunny afternoon on the nature reserve...

Narrow.jpg

Topical
I quite like that, the light coming from the top right really highlights the message.
Thank you Nostromo, I really wanted to emphasise the message.

That's a catch up and a half! Frustratingly, I started commenting, then had an "issue" and lost it all [emoji3525]

Your red lit washer/dryer is great! The red and abstract go together very nicely. I just confess that I thought it was a colander when I first saw it...

At the risk of being controversial, your hidden Turnstone could double for Topical (burying head in the sand... See @Allan.H's photo for context!) The colours and timing in your photo a great - and it's certainly living up to its name!

I find that your small pollinator is a little lost in the very colourful flower. Colours and composition are spot on, but I think the subject is a little bit lost.

The colours and textures of your seals for Snapper's Choice are really good. It's a hugely evocative photo - I can imagine the smell. Really nice.

And I agree on the compression for your cormorant/shag picture. They're a little lost against the background.

I'm envious of your proximity to the reserve - I like your sign very much. Lovely colours in the blurry background.

Good thinking with secure - works for me!

And I fully agree with your graceful seabird. I was down at the Colorado River for the last couple of days, which has similar (but smaller) cormorants which I love watching. This is a lovely image, showing the bird off from a good angle.

The B&W works nicely for your static lighthouse. I'm guessing you wanted to be more square on to the text? I think that would look slightly wrong to me (too much to landward!) so the angle you have with the text _just_ visual works well for me. The mono conversion works really well here, as well as in your patterned shadows.

Your second Turnstone is indeed very well camouflaged. Lovely background on this one as well.

Tiny is indeed tiny! But the OOF leaf and branch "bugs" me a little... Sorry!

Textures fits with the theme of my comments so far - lovely colours and background, and I can imagine the feel of the plants under my fingers, so works for the subject as well!

I rather like your artificial pond - the danger sign and wooden walkways around it are a pleasing contrast.

I love the second shot of your panning activity. It is absolutely superb! I'd love to get something this sharp (in the right places!)

Sounds like you had "fun" with your wet boots... Not the best time to be distracted by wet feet I imagine!!

And your artificially lit topical shot is very effective. A sad reflection of the times, but nicely taken.

WOW Shugpug, thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my catch up and so exhaustively too I truly do appreciate the feedback. I must admit as I wondered round the house I was really pleased with my "illuminated washing machine", i love my little led light I had tried it in all the colours but red really did it for me. I love living so close to the reserve, just yesterday I saw 2 deer and kicked myself for not having my camera whilst walking the dog.

Great catch up Heather (y)
I really like the light on narrow.
Its a nice pleasing image all round TBH (y)

Great catch up Heather (y)
I really like the light on narrow.
Its a nice pleasing image all round TBH (y)

Cheers Cobra, I think I have become queen of catch up this year (DOH)!
I came back from my walk with a smile on my face that day as I was sure I had nailed a fairly good shot. I was chuffed once I got it on my computer...

Another great little catch up Heather, liking all the images but my favourite is the second sharp shot.

Hi Dave,

Hope your finding more strength as the days go by.

I try to approach the weekly subjects and do something different, I don’t just want to take a shot. I think that’s why I’m always playing catch up. Sharp took me ages to get the composition right as I had placed the knife upright on a large mirror and had to get the angle just right and then remove my textured ceiling from the reflection. Joys of being a perfectionist.

Catch up
Stand out for me is the food shot, I really like the light.

Cheers Nostromo, you have been my inspiration for indoor still life this year, I have seen your submissions to the challenge and have been blown away. You have been my go to, when trying to get an idea or how to achieve a shot. I thank you for that as it is way out of my comfort zone.

Hi Heather,

Welcome back!
Narrow - They kid of look like abandoned railway sleepers, but probably not. Nice bits of timber and as long as they aren't slippy, I suspect they help walking along that path in the wet.
Snappers - Lovely yellows and colour matching. Bang on for the tech too.
Digital Age - Nicely thought out, composed and well shot. Isn't it odd how (in realy terms) the oldest of the media would have been the most expensive.
Sharp - #2 for me. I like the light trails.
Food - Now that shot is absolutely wonderful :clap: Strong black background, excellent composition and the lighting is spot on.

Nice catch up again Heather. Your knives - especially the red light ringed shot is just excellent. For out of comfort zone, your still lifes are wonderful.

Nice bunch of catch ups... I particularly like your abstract snappers choice.

Hi Heather,

Welcome back!
Narrow - They kid of look like abandoned railway sleepers, but probably not. Nice bits of timber and as long as they aren't slippy, I suspect they help walking along that path in the wet.
Snappers - Lovely yellows and colour matching. Bang on for the tech too.
Digital Age - Nicely thought out, composed and well shot. Isn't it odd how (in realy terms) the oldest of the media would have been the most expensive.
Sharp - #2 for me. I like the light trails.
Food - Now that shot is absolutely wonderful :clap: Strong black background, excellent composition and the lighting is spot on.

Thanks for your feedback Tim,
The sleepers are in fact reclaimed from the old Tram Way that used to run from Selsey to Chichester. The do indeed have chicken wire tacked onto them in certain places where it casts a lot of shadow.
I had been bought a lovely bunch of flowers so made the most of them.
I went through all my old LP’s & CD’s I was going to use a pretenders album but the black and white didn’t suit the black background, being critical of myself next time I would take 3 shots and focus stack as getting the iPad in focus was difficult and I’m not overly happy with that part of the image. But we are here to learn from our mistakes.
I do enjoy playing with light, I felt the red light trails added to a picture that featured a knife.
Thank you for your kind comments about my food shot, I have never done still life so this is a steep learning curve for me.
Once again thank you

Nice catch up again Heather. Your knives - especially the red light ringed shot is just excellent. For out of comfort zone, your still lifes are wonderful.

Thank you for your kind feedback and comments, still life is still very new to me and is completely out of my comfort zone. Learning every day.

Nice bunch of catch ups... I particularly like your abstract snappers choice.

Thanks Helen, I was a bit nervous of the tech when I saw what it was.

Lovely set of images - my favourite is Food - the lighting is great.

Thanks for your feedback and compliments Phil, still life is very new to me and I am learning about light and compositions every time I have a go.

Week 29
Personal

I have just realised that I missed personal... so today as I was doing another lateral flow test at home that this would be very fitting. As some of you may be aware from my previous posts, I work for the ambulance service and we now have to self test twice weekly in case we are "asymptomatic" so this is my personal kit and my personal test.

Stay safe everyone and thank you to everyone who doing there upmost to keep themselves safe as in turn you are keeping us safe.

Personal .jpg

Week 48
Camera

Camera.jpg

Last edited:
Camera,
Nice image well processed (y)

Week 29
Personal..
Stay safe everyone and thank you to everyone who doing there upmost to keep themselves safe as in turn you are keeping us safe.
That's very fitting Heather bang on theme, the processing looks good too (y)
And thanks to you and your colleagues, stay safe (y)

Back