Ground Homework Preperation

Edit My Images
Yes
Just intrigued and wondered if anyone has time to share their views?

Probably for those at league grounds but if attending do you have set positions you're told to photograph at in the pit or do you get there early to claim your area and gear space? ... Or is it a case your agency (i assume) will ask you to get E.G a particular forward scoring a goal so you sit that end assuming he'll score? but then is that down to his team winning the toss and attacking the goal you're behind (first half) and change ends with the team for the second half. You might get him scoring but i've even noticed the celebrations are just as important sitting to the left or right of the goal to follow the celebration is that in your consideration or you just pray for a little luck they come your way ?? :sneaky::sneaky:

PP

stadium-map277-2559879.jpg

The higher up the football pyramid you go the more restrictions there tend to be on where you can go. For domestic games positions tend to be first come first served with togs marking their spots with a monopod or a seat, maybe 2-3 hours before kick off. At Man City there are - for domestic games - pits at each end and the togs all draw for positions in those pits 90 mins before kick off. Most regulars will have a favoured corner based on which way the City goal celes tend to go, the presence of away fans or how near they like to be to the togs room at half time (the so called 'lazy corner'). The club photographers will have designated spots and will typically swap positions at half time. Outside the EPL life is generally much easier in terms of how easy it is to choose a spot and in being able to move around at half time etc.

You usually have a good idea who will attack which end first and maybe which side of the goal any celebrations will go so you try and make your first half choice based on that. In bright sunshine the directio/angle of the sun will kick in, too.

The more photographers there are at a game then the harder it gets to swap ends at half time, especially when togs have so much gear with them - but you may be able to make a quick decision on whether to stick on switch after the first half but if that's not an option then you simply stay put and get on with editing/uploading.

The 'best' is always when you see in bigger events (be it football, rugby, basketball.. etc) - photographers first onto queue hours before the game.. then rush to put their bag/monopod/lens down.
Then head out to the near-by fast food joint to have lunch.. and return 30mins before game starts..

Personally not a fan of 'my gear is reserving my space' approach... if you want the best spot, come early and stay there.

But as Alan said, the higher up any leagues you go.. the more restrictions you will find to where you can be.

The 'best' is always when you see in bigger events (be it football, rugby, basketball.. etc) - photographers first onto queue hours before the game.. then rush to put their bag/monopod/lens down.
Then head out to the near-by fast food joint to have lunch.. and return 30mins before game starts..

Personally not a fan of 'my gear is reserving my space' approach... if you want the best spot, come early and stay there.

But as Alan said, the higher up any leagues you go.. the more restrictions you will find to where you can be.

Sounds like beach towels on the sunbeds! I would be careful about leaving gear unattended! Glad I don't have to elbow my way to a position at non-league!

Your final point is just that.Luck! There really is no predicting who will do what, when and where. I've gone from weeks of seeing backs and numbers run away from me after scoring, to being a goal cele magnet! No rhyme or reason.
Also, most grounds I've been to, Prem-Non League, it is a case of turn up, get your spot, and wait untill kick off. Laying down a monopod and/or stool seems to be an industry accepted rule that the place has been secured by someone. Although, bigger games, you may find that some toe rag has moved you along slightly!!
Some grounds at lower league are happy for you to sit inside the advertising boards, others prefer you to sit outside. Funny thing the other week at the England U21 game, Second half all the guys that had been up the far end first half, all came down to the end I was at second half. I'd sat behind the advertising boards as been instructed. About 10 mins into the second half, a few burly stewards came along an requested all photographers get behind the advertising boards. MARS were paying a lot of money to have their boards on display, and probably didn't take too kindly to a load of guys obscuring the brand. Point here is, if you're informed about something, always do as advised. Saves looking like an amateur when you're told again!

Back