Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
What on earth makes people do these ugly acts.:(

Just watched Sky News and seen this..:shake:

More Info Linky here

Caught a glimpse of this on the news earlier...Such a waste :(

It's a horrible thing to happen, sadly it will continue as long as they allow idiots to carry guns.

Schools and some colleges in this country are like fortresses. I can't even get into my daughters school without pressing the intercom and looking into the camera so they know it's me and i live in a quiet village.

I cannot think why, after all the shootings in the past in the USA, schools are not more security conscious.

Almost seems to happen in america every year, such a waste of life :(

:shrug: why

:hug: to all affected....

it's really sad. :(

I cannot think why, after all the shootings in the past in the USA, schools are not more security conscious.

It really is very sad and upsetting. Instead of making education akin to prison though, the US needs to wake up and appreciate that the bill of rights is outdated and frighteningly naive when viewed from the position of modern society.

In the UK, if you have a really, really bad day and flip out, you'll probably have calmed down by the time you've spent months tracking down a firearm on the blackmarket. In the US you could get a legal weopan quickly and an illegal one quicker still.

Its no longer a land of pioneers and adventure. At the risk of upsetting our American forum members its a society that has reached it's teenage angst years and has access to guns.

Horrendous, sickening slaughter!

I watched a few highly respectable middle aged American citizens on TV a while back saying they would shoot dead the law officer who came to take away their weapons when the subject of gun legislation was raised afer the last mass shooting. They didn't seem to be kidding - such is the fervour with which they cling to their gun toting rights. The pro gun lobby over there is so powerful I think it would be politcal suicide for the party which tried to introduce any sort of severe restriction on gun ownership, so I don't see anyone tackling the problem any time soon.

To be fair we now have some of the most severe gun legislation in the world in the UK and shootings are still pretty commonplace, so I don't really know what the answer is.

Horrendous, sickening slaughter!

Absolutely - no argument

To be fair we now have some of the most severe gun legislation in the world in the UK and shootings are still pretty commonplace, so I don't really know what the answer is.

Agreed - no matter the legislation, supply or punishment, gun crime will exist. BUT, our last atrocity was, I believe Dunblane, after which our legislation was tightened even further. Prior to that was Hungerford - thats two in 20+ years............ :shrug:

Please don't misconstrue this as a pop at Americans. Its not (in the majority).

this sort of incident sickens me too...

but hearing the radio today i was supprised and a little releived that not everybody thought the gun was the problem...

after all not every photographer is a child molesting pervert

:(

Absolutely - no argument

Agreed - no matter the legislation, supply or punishment, gun crime will exist. BUT, our last atrocity was, I believe Dunblane, after which our legislation was tightened even further. Prior to that was Hungerford - thats two in 20+ years............ :shrug:

Please don't misconstrue this as a pop at Americans. Its not (in the majority).

Please do bear in mind that the total population of the UK is around 60 million as compared to the US's 300 million. It's not surprising that there are more episodes of violence where there is five times the number of people.

The V-Tech shootings are especially tough to watch for those of us near Columbine High School. I live five minutes away from CHS and remember all too well.

- CJ

I watched a few highly respectable middle aged American citizens on TV a while back saying they would shoot dead the law officer who came to take away their weapons when the subject of gun legislation was raised afer the last mass shooting. They didn't seem to be kidding - such is the fervour with which they cling to their gun toting rights. The pro gun lobby over there is so powerful I think it would be politcal suicide for the party which tried to introduce any sort of severe restriction on gun ownership, so I don't see anyone tackling the problem any time soon.

This would depend almost 100% on which part of the US you happened to be standing in.

Try to push through severe restrictions on gun ownership in the South and other very rural areas, and you'll get lots of backlash. In most of the rest of the country, particularly middle income cities and the north and western parts of the country, and you'll have little trouble.

Texas doesn't count.

After dunblane they banned legal ownership of handguns, but that didn't work did it, you'll find there is more handgun crime now than there ever was when you could legally own a handgun.

I totally sympathise with the families of the victims, but you will never stop the illegal supply of firearms even if you had a total ban.

I am speaking from a point of view as a firearm owner, and whos father in law had to hand all his handguns back. These are only my opinions.

License the person, not the gun.

Keep standards harshly high and renew process regularly (anually?)

When they fail the screening they should NEVER own even a paintball gun again!!!

the US needs to wake up and appreciate that the bill of rights is outdated and frighteningly naive

The US will never remove the second amendment, it's part of the Bill of Rights. If you alter the second amendment or remove it completely, the Bill of Rights then becomes totally worthless.
It's like asking if we can re-write the Magna Carte, because things have changed a bit since 1215. It'll never happen.

The US will never remove the second amendment, it's part of the Bill of Rights. If you alter the second amendment or remove it completely, the Bill of Rights then becomes totally worthless.
It's like asking if we can re-write the Magna Carte, because things have changed a bit since 1215. It'll never happen.

Magna carta has been rewritten :thinking:

After dunblane they banned legal ownership of handguns, but that didn't work did it, you'll find there is more handgun crime now than there ever was when you could legally own a handgun.

I totally sympathise with the families of the victims, but you will never stop the illegal supply of firearms even if you had a total ban.

I am speaking from a point of view as a firearm owner, and whos father in law had to hand all his handguns back. These are only my opinions.

Spot on Glen! Thats something that never gets mentioned on the news, when any gun crime is reported, "they" always neglect to mention the fact that handgun ownership has been banned for about 10 years. "We" always said that once the ban took place only the criminals would own them and "we" were right! Dare I even say, dead right!
Speaking as one that also handed back his sporting handguns, They were locked away safely when not in use, and never once did they slip out and cause any damage. Its not guns that kill people, its people that kill people!
The NRA is so powerful in the USA ( and I am sure that there are members from accross the pond that will back me up on this) Any politician that mentions "gun control" in the states is usually "politically assasinated"
Ok I'm off the soap box!

The NRA is so powerful in the USA ( and I am sure that there are members from accross the pond that will back me up on this) Any politician that mentions "gun control" in the states is usually "politically assasinated"
Ok I'm off the soap box!

Um, no. Did you read my post?

Erm,Yes but the guys in the US that I know hold a totally differantveiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond

Magna carta has been rewritten

Oops sorry, but you get my drift.

I don't know what it would take to change the Bill of Rights. Once done it would set a precedence and this, I'm guessing, is what worries the US law makers.

South Dakota? That would be part of the southern/rural way of thinking, the parts of the country that are most pro-NRA and pro-gun ownership. Fortunately, there are plenty of other parts of the country with different views to provide balance.

I don't know what it would take to change the Bill of Rights. Once done it would set a precedence and this, I'm guessing, is what worries the US law makers.

The US citizens are the law makers - the Bill of Rights and subsequent ammendments were made after the Brits were kicked out to prevent one idiot havig absolute power. Oops........

Fair representation of the people by the people was the aim. That that is no longer the case suggests a reform is over due.

We dont have any of the same rights over here. We're subjects rather than citizens.

Spot on Glen! Thats something that never gets mentioned on the news, when any gun crime is reported, "they" always neglect to mention the fact that handgun ownership has been banned for about 10 years. "We" always said that once the ban took place only the criminals would own them and "we" were right! Dare I even say, dead right!
Speaking as one that also handed back his sporting handguns, They were locked away safely when not in use, and never once did they slip out and cause any damage. Its not guns that kill people, its people that kill people!
Yes gun crime has slowly been rising in the UK since the 50's. Theres not a lot you can do but try to stop the supply of imported and reconditioned guns.
But the fact is, we lose about 60 people per year to guns. In America they lose about 80 per day.
I know whos sytem id prefer to live under....

The US citizens are the law makers - the Bill of Rights and subsequent ammendments were made after the Brits were kicked out to prevent one idiot havig absolute power. Oops........

Fair representation of the people by the people was the aim. That that is no longer the case suggests a reform is over due.

We dont have any of the same rights over here. We're subjects rather than citizens.

Subjects to who???

We have a democracy i thought :thinking:

but she doesnt rule, parliament does.

forgive my ignorance, i thought we elect the rulers and the queen has lkast say or something due
to old timestuff

Partly right - the Queen is the head of State and at the opening of parliament delivers the Queens Speech which is written by the government in power. She cannot have political alligience though. Last say actually belongs to the House of Lords whom can vote on whether to accept the Queens Speech or not - if not then its a vote of no confidence in the government rather than the queen;)

Either way, we're subjects. British Citizenship is a right to abode in the UK

Nope ultimately the Queen rules.

The parliament is an elected body, elected by the people to carry out their duties on behalf of the queen.

Hence when a general election is due, the PM has to meet the queen, and ask to officially step down as her PM, etc.

Back