Had a Devil of a time in Tasmania

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to spend a little time Down Under last monthv visiting family. I thought I would share some of the pics from the trip. As always, I'm more than happy to hear anyones views / crit on any of them. I'll also say I thoroughly enjoyed myself, with Classics from the 60s and a supercharged Porsche 911 Carrera from the 90s.

Car

I'd have taken the E-Type rather than the Porsche!

Number 1 could do with a little less of the dark tunnel, although I like the idea. IMO there's just too much darkness around the view.
Number 2 looks like a washed out print from the '70s.
Number 3 is my pick of the bunch - takes me straight to an oft winswept beach on a sunny day!
Number 4 is a nice enough snap but the bench means nothing to me although the Tagetes give a nice splash of colour.
Number 5 could do with either more or less DoF. The E-Type in the background deserves more sharpness while the Asaton has plenty of detail to benefit from getting in even closer and excluding the background.
Number 6 could have been a Porsche magazine cover from the '90s. Might have been better if it had been on the road closer to the vineyard.
Number 7 looks a bit grainy - added in PP? (Like the subject and the shot but not the "rendition".)
Always enjoy seeing detail shots of engines, even if they are a little scuffed up!

Oops! Had 2 number 5s so got the numbers wrong for the last 3! Now corrected.

Last edited:
The first picture was sort of a commission, my cousin said there was a view she wanted a picture of, but had failed a few times.

I'll freely admit I'm a little bit of a petrol head, so have to have a few cars pics in the mix too.

@Nod thanks for taking the time to comment.

1 is a tunnel under the edge of a golf course out to the beach. I have left this one with a fair amount of natural framing, but I've done a different crop taking more of it out. I think it depends on the background you are looking at the picture on. For example on a phone (portrait it looks good, but a landscape browser filling the sides with black not so good).

2 I was sort of aiming along those lines, so happy with that.

3 it was certainly windy!

4 I think it was just nice to see some bright flowers in the middle of a Scottish winter, and I feel it's the weakest there for me too.

5 I can tell you're an e-type fan and I have to say I love the lines of the convertible more :)

8 it's the micro contrast maybe a little to high, although it brought out the fins on the super charger. I'll maybe have another look at that.

Again thanks for the comments and time.

It's the E-Type wheel that looks a bit grainy to me rather than the Porsche motor. Most obvious on the rim at top left. Looking at it again, I actually quite like the effect - looks a bit like an older film emulsion!

Number 1 is the clear winner here, with 5 close behind. Number 2 just makes me want to get the colour correction sorted, even though you've said this was what you wanted, although it could go mono effectively & solve that problem. ;)

Looks like you've come back with a nice set of memories.

Ah, I think you mean dirty...

Possibly! Could well be old chroming but the rim at the bottom doesn't look like it. Come to think of it, it might even be the reflection of the concrete (?) floor that's making it look grainy/noisy/dirty!

Thanks Dave. I'm afraid I'm not sold on the mono, but I'll maybe have a look at the original later myself. Funny how my taste can change on revisiting pictures after a break.

A nice set, though Im finding different processing techniques done on almost each image? Just would have been nicer to maybe have split up the images (mixing motor images with landscape images seemed a bit odd) - but its your thread (y)

I know, I really thought about different threads. But then thought I prefer not to spam things too much (or maybe I'm lazy).

Good memories of a holiday. As a set they don't work, as said, different processing, subjects. Sorry but I only like #1, it works because of the different lines, angles, all slightly off with each other, good composition.

The bench with flowers? Really? Very boring. Front end of the porsche, boring angle, needed a polariser. Cars in the garage, not sure what more you could have done there with the angles and light presented

No1 is stunning - found myself just looking at it for ages!!

Thanks @Dave-o. I'll probably have a look at some different edits on the others too, maybe early next week.

so beautiful.. it reminds me of chiclana the first picture of in spain. such clean photos. PRO.

13!

Back