Haida 10 stop filters

tempted by one of these for my tamron so a 77mm diameter, but saw that there was a mention of a slim version vs a standard version and the links in the thread to the ebay auctions and srb site don't differentiate? Anyone got a pros and cons on fat vs slim and links?

tempted by one of these for my tamron so a 77mm diameter, but saw that there was a mention of a slim version vs a standard version and the links in the thread to the ebay auctions and srb site don't differentiate? Anyone got a pros and cons on fat vs slim and links?

You might want to read the review which was linked to in post #395 in this thread.

Can someone tell me what the latest version of this filter is? Searched on ebay and amazon and multiple different types seem to be available. Need to get a bigger one

I'm sure the latest version is the Pro II MC slim.
Happy to stand corrected on that though.

Not sure there is a massive difference between them in practical terms - sure I saw a test that said as much

Selling my 67mm Slim ProII MC Filter in the classifieds shortly. Changed lenses so will be getting a 72mm version.

This was the summary from the test referenced earlier in this thread comparing B&W versus Haida MRC versus Haida uncoated:

Summing it up:

• The Haida filters perform excellent otherwise and offer very good value for money.
  • What’s more, you don’t really need to spend the extra money for the coated version of the Haida. The coating will provide a more difficult sepia color cast, while the flare isn’t really reduced, only a slight amount of haze (see section 3). Then again, this isn’t noticeable at all in standard practical application, as you can see above.
  • In case you don’t plan on stacking filters, you don’t need the slim version. Even with the standard (non-slim) versions of Haida and B+W, you can get down to 16 mm without the filter frame getting in the image. At that focal length, you’re more bugged by the vignetting of the ND filters, which is pure physics and not a lack of quality (see section 5).
  • When stacking filters, the slim version gives you only 1 mm more focal length than the standard version. Since B+W and Haida have the same frame dimensions, this will also be valid should B+W ever release an XS-Pro (=slim) version of their ND 3.0 filter.

I got my Haida yesterday (£36 from Germany as per link above). I did an A/B comparison shot of my garden with and without filter and I have to say that the Haida gives a distinctly 'cool' effect. The without filter shots are much warmer. I was slightly surprised at this because I had heard that the Haida filters had a slightly warmer look if anything. I'm sure this can be easily fixed in WB either in camera or lightroom but its worth considering.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I got my Haida yesterday (£36 from Germany as per link above). I did an A/B comparison shot of my garden with and without filter and I have to say that the Haida gives a distinctly 'cool' effect. The without filter shots are much warmer. I was slightly surprised at this because I had heard that the Haida filters had a slightly warmer look if anything. I'm sure this can be easily fixed in WB either in camera or lightroom but its worth considering.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ALL of these extreme ND filters have a colour cast of some sort, and the exact tint can vary batch to batch. None of them is completely neutral because with the dyes used it's a) impossible, and b) makes no difference anyway. The cast can also vary according to the light, ie how much infrared there is, but what is important is how accurately colours are rendered after correction in post processing.

With the two most expensive ones for example, B+W MC and Lee BS, the colour cast is deliberate. It keeps the colour curve as flat as possible, with no peaks or troughs and good IR suppression, so that simple adjustment in post processing puts everything right.

If you want accurate colour at the time of shooting, do a custom white balance.

Think I need some help on this one. I tried setting the in-camera white balance to one of the presets (cloudy) in order to warm it up. The overall colour is now nearer to the un-filtered shot but slightly too warm. If I want to fix this in camera I guess I need to adjust the white balance manually in some way. (This is new territory for me so bear with me). Is it just a case of adjusting the temperature (however I do that) and then taking pictures on a trail and error basis till I get the right effect or is there a more scientific way?

Camera is a Nikon D7100 and the manual says that the temp of the cloudy setting is 6000k so I guess I need a custom value less than that (back to the trail and error question above)

Shoot in raw and adjust the colour balance in post-processing. If you're desperate for an accurate colour balance you can also shoot a grey card. You can then use that as a starting point for getting the correct WB.

^ very nice

Hello,
Can anyone inform if they have tried the new Haida IRND filter? Dont know whether the IRND is better than non ,Haida PRO II (PROII) MC Neutral Density Filter ND 3.0 SLIM 1000x - 77mm. its about £2 more than non IRND. i have nikon d7000- sigma 17-50

I wondered the exact same as above. Also have a D7000 but have 18-200mm VR and 50mm f1.8. I just pulled the trigger on a Haida IRND so when it does arrive I'll post my thoughts and images up here. This thread has been very useful! The seller thinks that the IRND produced neutral images more often because it can block some of the infrared pollution and for the extra £2 I figured I'd try it. Anyone taken any shots with the IRND filter yet?

So I said I'd post to give some idea of how the Haida IRND filter is... It gives a colour cast only if used in strong sunlight. Indoors and in the shade it seems to be pretty accurate with no correction. Sunsets and landscapes will probably need correcting though. The cast is magenta and is quite noticeable at long exposures in sunlight. This image is one I took with no filter at 1/30s ISO100 f11. I then took another exposure with the filter on at a speed 10 stops slower (34.2s). I'll upload the shots taken with the filter on as well.

And this is the same image following correction using temperature and tint ONLY. It required roughly -55 on the tint slider (towards green) and increased from 4450 to 4750 on the temperature slider in Lightroom. Doesn't look bad to me but I didn't really expect a magenta cast! Reckon I'll keep it because I don't think any IRND or ND filter will perform much better when taking 34s exposures in bright sunlight! I can't compare it to the normal ND filter unfortunately... Someone else could maybe do this if they have both.

All extreme ND filters like this have at least a slight colour cast, even the most expensive. It can change in different kinds of light too, as you have found, with the changing IR content. With some (eg B+W, Lee) the cast is actually deliberate because when corrected in post processing, it then gives the most accurate rendering of all colours.

The real point is though, if the colour can be pulled in line easily and to a good standard in PP, then all is good.

Also worth noting that I just took a 142s exposure indoors to see how things looked. Really didn't look too bad at all. The colour cast was virtually non existent, though there was quite a lot of vignetting (at 18mm using a Nikon DX lens), which is to be expected and can't be avoided with any filter at this focal length! (Light entering the filter from the sides has to pass through more material than light hitting it at 90 degrees so there is more attenuation of light around the edges)

Agreed HoppyUK.. I think given this is less than half the price of the next cheapest IRND that I could find it is well worth a go, especially for those like me who just do it for enjoyment and don't have huge sums to spend on things like filters.

Thanks to everyone who posted and shared their experienced. I ordered one last week and got it delivered today - the Pro II version 77mm with 72-77mm step up ring for my Nikon 24-85 VR. I am planning to buy the 18-35 G which has a 77mm filter thread hence I went for the 77mm.

Will post some pictures soon.

I did some initial casual test yesterday. We went to London Southbank and I thought of taking the Hadia filer with me and see if I get a chance to shoot. I also took my new Benro IT25 Tripod to test it.
It turned out more of a family funtime than taking photos. Anyway, I managed to get a couple of shots in a casual manner much to the annoyance of my family setting up the whole thing.

I misjudged the shutter speed compensation by 10 stops and landed up somewhere around 12 stops. Should have used the known formula. The light was low and hence I used F6.3.

I am adding two pictures I took, but before that my first impressions on Haida 10 stop as this is my first filter of this kind.

Good points
The colour shift is very minimum and has a very mild bluish tinge. This is excellent considering the reviews and videos I have seen from other filters. Very impressed. Less work on pp.
Ns apparent sharpness or resolution loss and I am quite impressed
Attaching the filter is easy. I am using a step up ring and 72-77 mm on my 24-85 VR lens

Not so good - well, don't have any so far on limited testing.

Other observations
1. Was expecting a better box to carry, but not much to complain.
2. There is some vignetting, but that is common from what I have seen with these kind of filters. The effect is not bad and can be easily fixed.

WIll shoot more images and post later.

Now pictures. Bear in mind these are just casual shots and due to shutter speed calculation mistake, I underexposed by around 2 stops, so had to bump exposure adding bit of noise.

1. Without the Filter

ANI_4268
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

2. With the 10 stop Haida ND

ANI_4274

3. Another shot with the 10 stop Haida ND

ANI_4275-2

Another photo I took recently, pointed straight at the sun with zero colour balance correction in lightroom. Really can't recommend these highly enough.

Looking to pick up another 10 stop for a trip next week, as the firecrest I was planning on buying is out of stock.

I had already owned and sold the lightcraft which was actually far better than the first hitech 10stop I bought, going from this thread these seem just as good has anyone had both to compare?

Also has anyone bought these, not posted as the haida, but looks like it with the name marked out and another buyer said they got a haida.
Take the risk or pay the extra £10 for the one sold as the haida.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CameraPlus-...r_1_11?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1439251723&sr=1-11

I am thinking of buying a Haida filter, should I buy the circular screw on Pro II Slim 10 stop or the 83 series 10 stop rectangular insert filter? Does the rectangular insert cause less vignetting? Any pros/cons to both?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Is there much difference between the Pro 1 and Pro 2 of these filters? I ordered online and I've received a Pro 1, just wondering if I should send it back or not?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Is there much difference between the Pro 1 and Pro 2 of these filters? I ordered online and I've received a Pro 1, just wondering if I should send it back or not?

Thanks!

I may be wrong but it's probably just a slightly better coating on the glass. I've owned a pro1 67mm and now a pro2 77mm and I wouldn't say the 77mm seemed any different to be honest.

Back