Haida 10 stop filters

120s, f/11, ISO200 with the Haida slim ND1000

b9to.jpg

I'd not considered one of their 6 stoppers, any good?

Ive only tested it in my garden briefly. Here are the unprocessed results (I have reduced them for ease of uploading)

Unfiltered at f/8, 1/8sec
unfilteredatf8_zps9e58cc06.jpg

Haida 6 Stopper at f/8, 8sec
haida6stopfilteredatf8_zps7ef692b2.jpg

The greens in the filtered picture look more saturated and there appears to be no colour cast. Looks like another winner and for the 52mm thread it only cost £12.99.

Awesome topic - thanks guys, just ordered one. :)

wrong thread

Interesting thread All.

I have a B+W 10 stop but I'm after a 3 stop so may try one of these Haida ones based on all of your personal reviews :)

am thinking of buying one ( still ). I mainly use a Tamron 17-50 ( 72mm filter ) but have a Sigma 10-20 ( 77 mm filter )

So it would be more economical to buy a 77mm one and a 72-77mm step-up ring but would I suffer any vignetting at 10mm ?

am thinking of buying one ( still ). I mainly use a Tamron 17-50 ( 72mm filter ) but have a Sigma 10-20 ( 77 mm filter )

So it would be more economical to buy a 77mm one and a 72-77mm step-up ring but would I suffer any vignetting at 10mm ?
Yes you only need a 77mm filter and a 72-77mm step up.
If you get the haida ProII slim filter you will not get vignetting at 10mm

Getting one myself seeing the results. Has anyone tried their CPL? If the quality is similar to the ND it makes a lot of sense to skip B+W or Heliopan even there.

I've only just spotted this 'Haida' 10 stop filter thread, many amazing landscape images shot with it attached --- wow.

Regards the Haida 10 stop filter, is it warmer than the likes of the B&W ND110 filter I wonder..? I'm using a Carl Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 lens which has a 82mm filter thread, does the Haida make one with this filter size anyone know?

Thanks;
Pete
Scotland

Thanks for the quick reply damianmkv, appreciated.

Apart from using the Haida filter for the usual sea landscape image, could this be used for wide landscape images with lots of sky and no sea/water if possible ??

Yes, of course. Make sure you have a solid subject that doesn't move in the wind though.

Yep. I haven't used mine yet so am looking forward to trying it out

Interesting reading guys. I have or havr had a few of the filters mentioned here. One thing I would say is if you want to use grads then stick to hitech or lee as you will sharp get sick of trying to run through this process if screwing on a 10 stop then putting the lee or hitech slot system over it :/ One good idea is if you own the above systems and want to use grads go for a 6 stop as you can still compose with it on. I have a Hoya nd 64 which I put my lee kit on after. At sunrise this is great. In daylight I even add my hitech 10 stop over the Hoya 6 stop. Sometimes even in bright daylight 10 just isn't enough. For this I'm looking into the minutes rather than seconds to give the sea a flat milky appearance or turning clouds into full on streaks :D
Check out a guy called Joel Tjintjelaar on Flickr or 500px and look at his fine art mono stuff.
I'm glad I just read your post, I have a Lee Soft grad system and wondered how they'd work together.

Is there much difference between the Haida Professional 82mm Slim PRO II MC Neutral Density ND 3.0 filter compared to the B&W 110 filter anyone know?

I'm going to buy one to attach to my C.Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 lens for landscape photography. Any advice welcome.

Regards;
Peter

I owned a B+W ND 10 stopper and a Haida MC Pro2.
Both cast on the slightly warm side but other than that I saw little difference between them.

I had a quick go with mine earlier - there doesn't appear to be any colour cast which is good. I just need to nail the focus now as attaching the filter seems a little delicate

so, had a wrestle to get the filter and the step up apart. No idea why as I didn't do them up tight.

Anyway, 85.6 seconds - I know its not exciting and the composition is pants but it was just a test shot

haida 10 stop
by damianmkv, on Flickr

I'm glad I just read your post, I have a Lee Soft grad system and wondered how they'd work together.
That said i since have switched from my D5000 to a 5D3 (which i noticed you have also) and if you use Live View and Exposure Sim with the ISO range ramped you can see through the 10 stop easily... I would still recommend going for the slot Hitech IRND or Lee Big Stopper though :)

That said i since have switched from my D5000 to a 5D3 (which i noticed you have also) and if you use Live View and Exposure Sim with the ISO range ramped you can see through the 10 stop easily... I would still recommend going for the slot Hitech IRND or Lee Big Stopper though :)
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the Live View tip, that's good to know! I haven't bought a 10 stop yet, but may look at doing so after Christmas.

So, using the Live view and exposure simulation, I'll be able to see the preview and also be able to set the soft nd filters as I'd like too?

I position my filter in the holder first, take a test shot to make sure it ok, then remove the filter and holder, attach the 10 stop and re-attach the filter.

Back