Haida 10 stop filters

Bought one. €32 inc shipping. I'll update once it arrives! :)

Did your filter arrive from Germany ok? What do you think?

Did your filter arrive from Germany ok? What do you think?

It was very quick! Arrived after only a few days. Brand new, in packaging, no problems there. As for the lens, working well so far! Barely any colour cast, which is terrific.

I have a note to say my filter needs to be collected from the RM collection office so that will be my first priority on my way to work tomorrow! :D

Filter collected.
It's a well presented piece of equipment I have to say. I think what grabbed me the most though is the profile. It looks slimmer than the B+W ND110 I used to have.

Very happy so far and will look forward to giving it a good testing (hopefully tonight)

Looks good - I may pick one up.

It was very quick! Arrived after only a few days. Brand new, in packaging, no problems there. As for the lens, working well so far! Barely any colour cast, which is terrific.

Which retailer did you purchase from there are two with similar prices.

Ordered mine late tuesday and it came this morning so brilliant delivery service, only problem is i ordered the slim version and they've sent the non slim version, I've emailed them so will see what their customer after sales service is like.

Bloody hell, thats nice

Very nice Stuart....what was the colour cast like please.
JohnyT

A slight colour cast is nothing to worry about. They all have one, sometimes a bit cool, sometimes a bit warm, but the important thing is that they can be corrected to neutral, either with a custom white balance, or in post processing.

If you want it right in-camera, then do a custom white balance under typical shooting conditions. Then store that in custom settings, or keep the test image on the memory card so you can access it at any time, or run some tests using different K colour temp settings and keep a note of that.

Very nice stupar! Was there optical vignetting or was corrected in this shot?

As with shooting most ultra wide angles there was a small amount of darkening in the corners. Presets for the lens in CS6 sorted it with one click of the mouse.
The filter did not show in the frame when shooting at 17mm so no worries there.

Some great examples of these in action here!

How do they perform when they are stacked (say hand held for arguments sake) with a Grad.

I was thinking of getting on of these, or maybe the 6 stop and combining with a HiTech 3 stop reverse grad.

Anyone got any examples of something similar?

Well mine arrived this week. Had some time to have a play this morning so I headed down to the beach.

The two examples are relatively subtle, there was practically no movement in the sky but overall I was impressed with the quality of the filter (admittedly - I have nothing to compare this to!)

IMG_6764 by moran.simon, on Flickr

IMG_6763 by moran.simon, on Flickr

Order placed, and already shipped :)

Last edited:
Any difference between Slim and Slim Pro II? Anyone using the Slim?

Last edited:
Any difference between Slim and Slim Pro II? Anyone using the Slim?

Difference is the pro II is multicoated and I believe it uses schott glass where the slim is neither of those.

Thanks Stuart, worth paying the extra then.

I would say so yeah. The multicoated version will cut down on flare and it also acts as repellent to dirt and moisture making it easy to clean.

Here's a couple of test shots taken with my ND64 - 6 Stop filters.

I say filter plural as I both both the old and new type. I didn't realise I'd bought the old type until it came so I decided to get the new one and maybe send the older back. Then I was curious to see what they'd be like stacked together as a 12 stop :eek:

Anyway, some shots. Upped the clarity and sharpness a touch in LR but not touch the WB at all so you can see the respective colour casts

1 - Old type plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad

Haida ND64 Test 1 (older type) by peeandcat, on Flickr

2 - New, slim type plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad

Haida ND64 Test 2 (newer type) by peeandcat, on Flickr

3 - Both old and new stacked plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad.

Haida ND64 Test 3 (both together) by peeandcat, on Flickr

Changed the angle of the shot in 3 just to get more clouds in for the movement etc. Upped the ISO from 100 to 400 as I was looking at an 8 minute shot and my tea was going cold :)

Not my best work. Was a bit rushed but thought it would be useful to share :D

1 & 2 are both definitely useable. Both filters together has resulted in an unacceptable loss of IQ. I'd like to try it again at a coastal scene though.

Here's a couple of test shots taken with my ND64 - 6 Stop filters.

I say filter plural as I both both the old and new type. I didn't realise I'd bought the old type until it came so I decided to get the new one and maybe send the older back. Then I was curious to see what they'd be like stacked together as a 12 stop :eek:

Anyway, some shots. Upped the clarity and sharpness a touch in LR but not touch the WB at all so you can see the respective colour casts

1 - Old type plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad

Haida ND64 Test 1 (older type) by peeandcat, on Flickr

2 - New, slim type plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad

Haida ND64 Test 2 (newer type) by peeandcat, on Flickr

3 - Both old and new stacked plus Cokin ND3 Hard Grad.

Haida ND64 Test 3 (both together) by peeandcat, on Flickr

Changed the angle of the shot in 3 just to get more clouds in for the movement etc. Upped the ISO from 100 to 400 as I was looking at an 8 minute shot and my tea was going cold :)

Not my best work. Was a bit rushed but thought it would be useful to share :D

1 & 2 are both definitely useable. Both filters together has resulted in an unacceptable loss of IQ. I'd like to try it again at a coastal scene though.

Thanks for the test :clap: 3 as you mentioned has loss of IQ, how about just 2 filters stacked instead of with Cokin hard grad? I would think that contributes quite substantial loss being resin.

How often do you use your 10 stopper? Basically I am trying to justify my purchase. I don't live near the coast, and waterfalls/rapids. My main use would be cloud movement against statutory objects or cloud movements in landscapes. What else do you use yours for?

Thanks for the test :clap: 3 as you mentioned has loss of IQ, how about just 2 filters stacked instead of with Cokin hard grad? I would think that contributes quite substantial loss being resin.

Yeah good point. I think I did do that test but blew out the sky.:|
I'll check and see how the foreground looks.

This is an excellent thread, I hadn't thought of trying this but the pictures here have inspired me to try it. Every time I read a thread on this forum I end up buying something...

couple examples from my Haida 77mm slim here

dsc4519r.jpg

dsc5098s.jpg

Howdy all, just wanted to say thanks for this thread! It saved me forking out three figures on a square filter holder and a HiTech or Lee big stopper! I decided to have a go with the Haida Pro II first, for under £50 off ebay, and I'm delighted! I've only had a chance at a couple of shots... but was very impressed by the very small amount of tint applied by the filter!

Just bought one of these, can't wait to get it. Will be uploading a few sample shot's as soon as I've been out. Ordered the pro II, so looking forward to getting my hands on it :)

If you have a smartphone, there are some great apps for calculating shutter speeds. I use longtime on the iPhone.

I brought one of these about a month ago, is their a guide to work out how long your shutter speed should be, I know with other makes like Lee for example they have a calculator.

Yes, multiply by 1000.

10 stops means a change in light by a factor of 2^10 which, rather fortunately, is very close to 1000 (actually 1024) to make the maths easier.

So, take a meter reading at the aperture and ISO that you wish to use (put the camera into Av mode, dial in the aperture and ISO and see what shutter speed it suggests). Then multiply that speed by 1000.

So, if it wants 1/500 without the filter it wants 1000/500 (2s) with the filter. Or, 1/30 without : 1000/30 or 100/3 or 33s with the filter.

Easy-Peasy.

Another easy way (up to 30 secs) is to count the clicks on the shutter speed dial. If it's set to the normal default, ie one-third stop increments, then ten stops is 30 clicks.

However, it's unlikely your filter will be exactly ten stops, they all vary a bit. Establish what yours is by experiment, then draw up a little table and pop it inside the filter case.

Both have "slim" in the product name and specification though?

EDIT: never mind, misread.

Thanks Hollis_f!

Back