Haida 10 stop filters

Bought one. €32 inc shipping. I'll update once it arrives! :)

If you buy from Germany will they not be stopped at customs and then you have to pay extra tax on them?

How about the lightcraft ND500?

So would you by a used lightcraft for £40 or a new haida pro ii?

I don't think there's much between them in all honesty, the Lightcraft is the more expensive filter but the Haida is probably as good as (going by reviews). I'd probably pick the new filter over the used one.

After messing about with welding glass over the last few months I seen this thread and made a purchase. Here are 2 from my first outting with the filter yesterday, I was surprised at how little colour correction was required:

1:
8572511770_f96d369734_c.jpg

2:
8573437508_c3e422574f_c.jpg

all C&C appreciated

Last edited:
I took a couple of test shots the other day with mine and found that there was almost no colour cast. I haven't put them on the computer yet to edit but first impressions are very good.

Might use it.properly this weekend if the weather is ok.

I ordered mine mine yesterday so looking forward to receiving it next week.
I've missed having a 10 stopper in my bag.

Alan - what lens will you be using it on?

Hi

I have a 24-105 L 77mm
And a 70-300L 67mm

Alan

Then why would you need 82mm? Get a 77mm, and if you want to use it on the 70-300 (unlikely), get a stepping ring for that.

If you get the slim version of the 77mm it definitely won't vignette on the 24mm end of your 24-105

If you get the slim version of the 77mm it definitely won't vignette on the 24mm end of your 24-105

Won't vignette on 17mm either, even on full-frame.

I had also thought of buying a 82mm version of this to try and 'future proof' a purchase of a 24-70 L mk2. But at the moment i may just get the 67mm to see what i think to it and just upgrade in the future if needed. .

Well, I decided I had to try them out. Here's unfiltered - 10-Stop Haida - 10-Stop Heliopan. The Haida is just slightly cooler than the Heliopan. Seeing as the Haida is half the price - I reckon it's a bargain.

Haida%20vs%20Hekiopan.jpg

I'm itching for mine to arrive now.
Got my tracking number earlier today from CGUK

Great little filter, one of the best bargain purchases I've made recently.

Forgive the flat light.

ISO50 f16 1 minute 35 seconds

8597984668_de09754b0d_b.jpg

Quick question. Does the filter come with a chart showing what the exposure time should be set at for a given fstop?

Quick question. Does the filter come with a chart showing what the exposure time should be set at for a given fstop?

No, because that would depend on the amount of variable light.

All you need to do is put the camera into Av mode, set the ISO and aperture to what you'll want in the final exposure and half-press the shutter. Take a note of the shutter speed it reckons is correct. Now multiply that by 1000 (so 1/100s becomes 10s; 1/250s becomes 4s etc.) put the camera into manual mode and enter the ISO and aperture you picked and the shutter speed you calculated.

I don't know personally but if not a chart can be easily found by doing a Google search.
Alternatively if you have a smart phone there are plenty free apps that will do the calculation for you based on a couple of presets (usually shutter speed and filter strength)

As said above, no chart provided. I've tried the online charts and the AV method, but neither were even close to final exposures, I've seen camera 15 sec metered exposures easily break 45 seconds, even well over 1 minute. I've got a fair idea now based on the conditions, do one or two test shots and then I'm there or there abouts.

Thanks guys

Have ordered a cheap remote shutter from ebay so i can use the bulb mode if necessary. I presume these cheap ones work as well as the official ones?

I paid £1.99 for my remote shutter and it works like a dream.

I've seen camera 15 sec metered exposures easily break 45 seconds, even well over 1 minute.

You need to do the metering unfiltered, you cannot put the filter on and get an accurate meter reading. It's because ND filters allow a lot of IR light through. The sensor has a filter that blocks most most IR, the metering sensor doesn't. My 10-stop Heliopan is only 6-stops on my IR camera.

You need to do the metering unfiltered, you cannot put the filter on and get an accurate meter reading. It's because ND filters allow a lot of IR light through. The sensor has a filter that blocks most most IR, the metering sensor doesn't. My 10-stop Heliopan is only 6-stops on my IR camera.

Sorry my mistake, I thought you were meaning with the filter in place (didn't read post properly), whichI did experiment out of interest.

All these posts of pictures have just made me finally order mine.

Back