Handmade equipment - tripod/camera mount design

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
for quite a few years my dad was interested in making a camera mount that could be shouldered like a rifle. He went through many versions. Several are pictured below. Usually made from aluminium bar, wood for the stock and steel bolts. Probably suitable for small lenses. I think the aim was to catch birds in flight. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to ask him which design works best if at all.

IMG_20221006_210747.jpg

He also bought a commercial version by Kaiser that uses a ball joint.

IMG_20221006_210818.jpg

This is really posted for interest's sake.

Even if you don't use them they're nice keepsakes. Maybe if you don't use them they could be repurposed somehow?

I converted a theodolite tripod into a photography one, it was easy enough, just needed a plate for the top and a tripod screw, great tripod, not fun to carry around though, oh and if theres wood floors they'll love you (it has points on the legs)
20221007_091317xxx.jpg

They look great - from an age of ingenuity on the personal level.

Nowadays IBIS makes astonishing inroads into making long lenses easier to handle. Taking a ahot at 600mm equiv at 1/5 of a second should be impossible!

You would also need a trigger to fire the camera shutter wouldn't you?

Last edited:
Good items I looked at that idea for years , but the advent of lens i.s and now I.b.I.s makes it unneeded

Back